Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF Daily- Friday, April 13

Lav....insomnia.

Sug...no doubt in progress so sending warm thoughts your way from the west kootenay region of british columbia. Oh wait....cross post Sug...so WELL DONE.

Tdn and Diz hoping for you as well. I dont miss bidding on work, for sure.

Kaslo
    Kaslo

Stopped the madness: February 14, 2011

Comment

also missed saying hi to the SButster....also fab here....ill be joining you. Its april, but my yard looks like march.
      Kaslo

Comment

TDN- sending great thoughts your way. You will do excellent!!!!

Dizzy- those bars sound yumbo!

Speaking of yumbo, where is Det and what's he cooking? I always salivate reading about his creations.
        AF since 2/22/2012

Comment

Hi everyone
          I'm back from my 5 day camping trip to the Isle of Mull. Fabulous time and weather. Didn't drink ( wasn't difficult actually) so today is day 50 !!!
          Haven't had time to catch up and read what I've missed yet, hope everyone is OK.- thought I'd best check in ASAP though!
          Back later
          Sausage x
          Day 50

Comment

G'day FABulicious ones!

I am flying through....my thawing fingers are crossed for our Shuga, TDN and DBee!

Ms. Kas aka Ms. Science Pants aka Queen of Cascadia (or should that be KAScadia?)...I'm also a fan of your technical talk. Makes me all smarterer and stuff. Really.

Uni - I hope you're able to pop in again soon. You sound so much stronger and happier. You are healing!

Sunni and Shue - I've been meaning to tell you...your kitties are just gorgeous - MeeeYow!

Okay - other than dealing with the aftermath of all our dreadful roof leaks Mama has THIS to forward to today:

Get your minds out of the gutter, girls!

I say Mama because my personal trainer is just one year older than my son! This is his cheesecake shot for the Hottest Bachelor auction coming up. Somebody is going to get lucky. NOW you know why I REALLY like working out again! MeeeeYOWie! Oh - did I mention he is nice and smart, too?
            Sober for the Revolution!
            AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

Back home and slept so well in my own bed! wooooooo!

Suasage mega kudos on your big AF50 ! got any pictures from camping?

Dizzy, I'm not a fan of raw food or liquid diets. do the paleo 30 day challenge. it will change your life physically and mentally I promise: Home

I was driving by Stockton CA yesterday minutes after a tornado funnel cloud sighting. how exciting! i took a quick picture as it was breaking up:

i'm pretty impressed with the image quality from the 4S phone.

food eh? yes I'm always so jazzed to be able to cook my own food when I'm home. just had a nice breakfast of saute'd asparagus with garlic butter and eggs.

my dear Dx is sick so I'm playing doctor today.

be well everyone!
              nosce te ipsum
              (Know Thyself)

Comment

Oh, I'm not really into raw food or veggie particularly, just into food without preservatives, and trying to focus on eating more fruit, veg, grains and otherwise low GI. For instance butter over marg, roast chicken over KFC, pop corn over crisps that kinda thing.

Also keen to find out what foods trigger good moods in people. Dark chocolate is really good as are bananas.

I must say my energy bars came out really well, they are very sweet though and a little bit sticky so I think I'd add a bit more oatmeal next time.

I'll check out the Paleo diet though, thanks. I've been eating healthily but not losing really and its frustrating.

Its 9PM on a friday night and like last week I find myself here as this is my most difficult time of the week. In fact the only time I really crave AL, except for the first hour when visiting my parents on Sundays and when I'm in the Supermarket and dashing past the wine isle. This is different though, a deep kind of longing that gnaws away at my soul, that old nagging voice that used to work so well but started to lose power the last 18 days. Saying stuff like 'everyone drinks on fridays' blah blah blah'. I know its bullshit and I know that if I do I won't stop and all my plans for tomorrow will go out the window so I won't.

I'm just tired, I think I'm going to pick out a nice movie, curl up in bed and have an early one. I have a market day tomorrow morning so I have to be up early and I actually hate getting up early on weekends (although surprise surprise its not that hard at the moment)

Night y'all.

:l

Comment

Dizzy, this may surprise you but grains have a dreadful impact on GI and are one of the first things to be strictly avoided on a paleo dietary lifestyle. aside from having very low nutritional density they are loaded with naturally occurring pesticides such as lectins that wreak havoc on the human digestive system where they disturb an array of hormonal balances (making it hard to lose weight for one).

Why Grains Are Unhealthy | Mark's Daily Apple

a movie does sound darn good. any suggestions anyone? I really enjoyed 'the hunger games' so much I'm temped to run out and see it again.

and remember, the wine aisle is actually the 'poisonous addictive crap disguised to be attractive for marketing purposes aisle'
                  nosce te ipsum
                  (Know Thyself)

Comment

Good evening Abbers!

Nice pic Det!
                    I heard there was some wild weather in CA yesterday,

Had a great day with my daughter & grandaughter. Puppy Matilda is having a ball running & romping with the grandkids. It's like being back in the litter for her :H

Hope you job interviewers are OK (hate job interviews).

CONGRATS to Sausage on 50 AF days! Feels great, doesn't it?

I have to work up the ambition/energy to get some yardwork done myself Sunni. Part of my problem is fear of ending up with even more contact dermatitis. My forearms still haven't finished healing from the last bout
                    I think I need to encase myself in a giant rubber suit before attempting to do anymore weeding outside :H
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Would a roll of bubble wrap and some duct tape do, Lav??? Consider it done! :H

My lord, I've been raking for HOURS and I've barely made a dent. Sigh. I did transplant a few more things to the barn, though That's the fun stuff!

I've also been tending to very sore kitty paws. Boris got beat up (by Bubbles, I presume) pretty good. I think he may have lost a claw from his front right. Have you ever tried soaking kitty toes in salt water?? Lemme tell ya, it ain't easy :H He now also has a deformed second ear. The first one got mangled the day I went to get him, just before I came. Also by a house cat. Poor guy.

Det, that's a pretty wicked picture! You're not one of them nutzo storm chasers, ARE YOU?
                      How did the rest of the interviews go today?

TURNIP!!! You go girl! :H Actually, the same as my personal trainer.. he's a friend of Mr. Wonderful's youngest I must start that again... really helps when they're easy on the eyes, eh?

Ok, gotta run.. be well, ya'll!
                      Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Hey every one....a whole week of gardening and i am ready for field work. Im meeting my youngest, she ops the GPS and presses my plant specimens, in Revelstoke. We have a day doing an botanical study. I love short little jobs!

greenie if you read this, i put the skiis away and got the Kayak out. We will try a low elevation paddle tomorrow. All the high lakes have ice and snow still.

sunni sorry to read about Boris. He is so cute...

det nice storm photo. interesting take on lectin chemistry, not sure its based on the actual chemistry however... Lectins have a very useful binding ability...dont get me started, lol! i. Know you are totally sold on this diet and all, and so i checked your paleo diet site out too. are you not a bit concerned about the amount of cholesterol in that diet?
                        Kaslo

Comment

you want chemistry? ok, you got it

like glutens, gliadins and related toxic proteins, people will vary widely in their tolerance to lectins. while they are certainly not 'good' for anyone, their ability to actually cause disease varies in different populations. there is so much overwhelming positive results to be had in this dietary lifestyle that it's hard not to be excited about it. the weight loss is just the tip of the iceberg on paleo.

here's more info on lectins than you'd probably ever care for:

THE LECTIN STORY

Cholesterol I'm very concerned with...which is why I'm eating at least 4 eggs every day and about a stick of butter as well. this macronutrient is very poorly understood and some of the very healthiest populations on Earth have average cholesterol intake many times greater than the SAD (Standard American Diet). Cholesterol - You Can't Live Without It!

cholesterol chemistry: The Biochemistry of Cholesterol — Cholesterol Chemistry 101

if you prefer audio learning, some winners here on clearing up cholesterol myths that I also find entertaining (ok I have no life):

314: Chris Masterjohn On The Health Benefits Of Cholesterol | The Livin La Vida Low-Carb Show

I have high cholesterol, and I don’t care
                          nosce te ipsum
                          (Know Thyself)

Comment

some really good biochemistry here and a nifty chart

What is biochemistry behind Gluten Consumption? - PaleoHacks.com

the quick and dirty version:

Celiac disease is caused by WGA intolerance. It is an autoimmune condition caused by lectins in grains. Lectins are proteins in grains that have parts of their own tertiary protein coats that "look" very similar to parts of our our cellular proteins. Lectins are large proteins rich in proline and this AA has to be transported across the intestinal lumen via receptors. Since their is a lot of proline the body gets fooled into thinking its bound proline to be absorbed and broken down by our liver. That does not happen. It tricks the system and the entire WGA protein enters the other side and hits the GALT. That is the gut associated Lymphatic tissue ( gut immune sytem) Because they look similar our bodies immune system called the GALT sits right behind the intestinal wall and it sees these proteins that cant be digested and it makes the B cells in the GALT make antibodies to get rid of them. Its kind of like a case of mistaken identity. The Antibodies attack the WGA but due to the unusual tertiary shape of the protein it also looks like other proteins we have in our body and it attacks those tissues as well. What ever protein it looks like will be taken out by natural killer cells in our immune system by cell mediated immunity. CD 4 and CD 8 cells and NKiller cells. That is as condensed and to the point as I can get off of my head

For more Paleo hacks: What is biochemistry behind Gluten Consumption? - PaleoHacks.com

see? I'm the cure for insomnia! LOL
                            nosce te ipsum
                            (Know Thyself)

Comment

Not sure how to respond to this. Its sort of right, but to put it in perspective the particular auto immune response that Celiac disease sufferers have in response to gliadin and glutenin (in gluten) ranges from sensitivity (and some discomfort) to allergic response (more severe) to full blown auto immune self-destruction of the intestine. The third level is Celiac disease and in fact, its not all that well understood. Lots of wild internet theories for sure. Having CD would be a good reason to avoid grains with gluten. But also any of the prolamins, such as hordien and secalin. All in the family Poaceae.

So Det.. my friend...do you have Celiac disease? Certainly the gluten free diet (avoiding most grains) would make sense for anyone with a sensitivity, an allergy, or Celiac disease.

BTW these protiens are not toxins. (nor are they a natural pesticide, you will have to explain what you mean by this). A toxin has a very specific meaning and subsequent pathology. They cause a pathological response, either morbidity or mortality. An autoimmune response in this case is a result of genetic predisposition, inherited condition, where the body makes antibodies that attack the cells of the intestine in the presence of the group of plant based protiens.

If you really are eating that much cholesterol, (I thought you were joking about at least 4 eggs and a stick of butter a day) and you actually have high blood levels too, I just hope that you do not have a family history of high blood pressure and heart disease or stroke. And if you do have Celiac disease you have my sympathies, as it is a painful and degrading condition.

One this is for sure, you cant pick your parents.

kas
                              Kaslo

Comment

I guess the correct term is 'antinutrient properties of plant lectins' not actually the textbook definition of toxin, I digress. they act as pesticides by making them indigestible and/or horribly bitter to the animals likely to consume them. Pop medical discussion sees gluten and perhaps gliadins and lectins/saponins are gaining exposure but the whole family of plant based antinutrients are just now being studied with great interest by researchers and I must say it's an exciting time. if you zip forward to about 17:40 you can see Harvard PHD organic biologist Matt LaLonde (himself an avid Paleo proponent and one of my nutritional heros) discussing the subject in nausiating detail:
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpfs6iT2nDw[/video]]"An Organic Chemist's Perspective on Paleo" by Mathieu Lalonde, PhD - YouTube
                                I believe this was a lecture given at the Ancestral health symposium a few months ago. Dr LaLonde and Dr Cordain are Robb Wolf's mentors and inspiration for his epic journey into the 'paleosphere'.
                                in answer to your question, I don't know if I have CD or not (certainly not critically if I do) what I can say with confidence is that the elimination of grains from my diet has had some profoundly beneficial effects on my health and well being, most notably the end of a lifelong scourge of eczema, a reduction of, and stabilizing of my body mass index, better sleep, mental stability/reduction in depressive symptoms. I also don't have horrid hunger pangs between meals and that 'I've got to eat or I'm going to die' feeling when I was eating higher amounts of carbohydrates from grains. Grains also have a nasty addictive quality that perhaps many of us have experienced first hand. Dr William Davis (author of 'wheat belly' was quite intrigued by that as I recall in an interview where he made a very convincing pitch about the evils of wheat based on some rather large trials he personally managed.

quantity of dietary cholesterol and saturated fats (contrary to popular belief) have almost no bearing on blood/lipid concentrations. eggs in particular have a wonderful tendency (per scientific literature) to raise HDL and convert small dense LDL to lighter more buoyant varieties. so in summary...if I had a family history of cholesterol related disorders I'd make a point of eating plenty of eggs.
                                Dietary cholesterol provided ... [Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI

the archaic Ancel Keys axioms (that most doctors bookshelves are full of even still) have been shown to be wrong. the truth is coming out and it's an exciting time.

I'm a high school dropout with a complete lack of appreciable education let alone any knowledge of scientific methodology. I study this simply out of morbid curiosity. and it's working wonders to boot. yay!
                                nosce te ipsum
                                (Know Thyself)

Comment

Working...
                                X