Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF Daily - Saturday April 28

Happy Saturday ABafabbies near and far!

Sugarbeat, thanks for the nice kickstart. got my tribute blend in hand. yummy.

Dizzy, glad you are back and on main street with us.

Turn, interesting stuff indeed. my MIL is a psych (hows that for nervous family get-togethers?) anyway since she is a person of 'brain science' we have a great time talking about brain and addiction issues. she's the one that told me not to be surprised if I can't ever get my serotonin levels normalized due to years of daily drinking. the specter of being dependent on a low dose (10mg) of the SRI citalopram really does bother me as I don't like being addicted or dependent on anything that's not a part of healthy diet. however when I have attempted to completely titrate off of it in the past I've had some unhappy reactions (anxiety bigtime). oh well. sigh.

speaking of yogurt, trying to find 'real' yogurt in stores in the US is a royal pain in the butt. they want to sell all this ever trendy low fat/nonfat franken yogurt of which there is a thousand varieties but not the real thing. speaking with friends in Europe where the yogurt is always full-fat and never pasteurized, and often made from local farms......anyone in Europe have a spare bedroom? will work for food!

Caper, nice to see you. kudos on your double dependency freedom!

be well
    nosce te ipsum
    (Know Thyself)

Comment

Det, you always make me giggle. I'm laughing here like a lunatic at you meeting your psyc MIL for the first time. Well, to be honest I first thought you meant psyhic, its not the best word to abbreviate, mr. I mean it could also mean loads of other unpleasant things.

I like greek yogurt, i mean it just has 7% fat. People can be so bloody dumb with this low fat no fat crap. So they buy low fat milk. Big deal, milk only has 4% fat to start off with and if you only have it twice a day in your tea, its hardly going to add to your waistline, eh? And don't get me started on all the lactose intolerant people out there. Its fine if you have a paper to prove it.

Sorry Turn
      , I actually stopped reading your post after your science panty threat because I was giggling too hard. I guess my sense of humour is returning. What you said is so true. All I can say is that I have been depressed from birth (not making this up or over exaggerating and obviously still had some sh!ts and giggles in between) and from the first day I took Topamax, a dopamine inhibitor, WHAMMO, something clicked in my brain. SRI's and SSRI's made me sick and other mood stabilisers didnt make me sick but made no difference. So my doc said I'm a non manic manic depressive (yes, huh?)

Also, most people with bipolar (the do call it bipopular now as no one seems to be just depressed anymore, everyone's bipolar) have addiction issues. So could dopamine be to blame? I dunno, maybe miss science panties can shed some light... I know how bad alcohol is. Like K9Lover said, its like going to bed with Brad Pitt and waking up with Danny de Vito. And although I hate the Allan Carr book he is right, it is just poison that we as a human raced have conditioned ourselves to like. No child ever likes alcohol or its effect, or smoking for that matter.

Comment

I like greek yogurt, i mean it just has 7% fat. People can be so bloody dumb with this low fat no fat crap. So they buy low fat milk. Big deal, milk only has 4% fat to start off with and if you only have it twice a day in your tea, its hardly going to add to your waistline, eh?

it actually wouldn't add to your waistline if it were 100% fat as an arbitrary calorie source. what adds to the waistline ironically are the myriad of 'low fat die' foods that are grain based processed 'carbage' like low fat crackers, rice cakes, breads, muffins, pasta, etc etc ad naseum which all spike up blood insulin levels (systemic inflammation and atherosclerosis) and also specifically hijack our satiety (fullness) by interfering with signalling for the hormone leptin. this is why you can't eat just one potato chip. the big agriculture/big grain giants like monsanto arn't stupid, they are out to get your money and will further the low fat lie until we wake up.

remember the old fashioned deserts that were loaded with butter and real cream? when you ate that on a special occasion you really knew you ate something. bam! and you were done.
        I don't know about you guys, but when I eat some low fat desert muffin or cookie it just makes me want 20 more of the damn things. you can't trick the brain/nervous system. we know something is missing. interesting eh?
        nosce te ipsum
        (Know Thyself)

Comment

Sitting at agility waiting for our next turn and catching up worth you all. Will check in tonite when I get home.
          New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

I agree with you, Det. I used to briefly believe the low-fat thing but now the low GI thing makes more sense. And yes, I still have to look into your Paleo diet Its just that low carb diets make me very tired indeedy. Is it even low carb?

It really bugs me when especially older women preach to me about how I should not eat butter and how low-fat is the way to go. I have to bite my tongue to tell them that it was bulimia and not low fat yogurt that made Jane Fonda so skinny.

Like I said, I'm moving closer to the source of food. I work from home so I have a few extra minutes a day to have people deliver some veg from the local farmers market and I go buy raw honey from someone's home and I go to the slow food market once a week. It not fanatical, vegetarian or very restrictive, just yummy real food. And every time you meet someone who produces honey or sells eggs they tell you something or introduce you to something, which is unlikely to happen at Mcdonalds.

I still have some weight to lose and I can sometimes see people judge me when I choose the normal cheese, cottage cheese, and yogurt, whatever over the low fat variety in the store. But you know what? When they take out the fat they have to put something back in. And very often that is sugar or some other plastic type crap. And we should not be messing around with our sugar levels anyway.

So give me butter over margarine any day. At least my tummy knows how to process cow fat as opposed to being shocked by the plastic gunk also known as trans fatty acid. And as for false advertising margarine ads have for 'good heart health?' Don't get me started.

But as we are on this topic. Have you seen the documentary Forks over Knives? Forks Over Knives | The Official Movie Website It scared me a bit, they say that people in countries who eat animal protein have more cancer percentage wise than people in countries who dont. I thought it was BS but the movie does seem credible.

DB

Comment

Good afternoon fabbies,

Guess who woke up late this morning? Me, Bliss!!! Great to see Sugar got the coffee.

Dizzy - I had so many of those times ... Main thing you came back here. The only thing I learnt from each fail was to recognize the onset earlier and earlier and take evasive action.

No hubby talk yet, he came back far too late on Thu and last night he went out for "a pint after work" with the Irish wrecking crew. He came back quite merry, very loving and totally not in the right frame of mind to talk about my problem with AL.

Long weekend here, I plan loads of hiking with dogs and kids.
              workaholic, shoeaholic and yes ... alcoholic

Comment

My tummy definitely does NOT process cow fat in any shape or form anymore Dizzy, therefore my dairy free, red meat free lifestyle these days. I'm OK with finding substitutes - don't have much choice

Det, I have a great yogurt maker (can't use it anymore & will be passing it on to my daughter & grandaughter). Makes great yogurt any style & any fat content you like. Saves a lot of $$ too!
                Amazon.com: Yogurt Maker YM80 by Euro Cuisine: Kitchen & Dining

Had a few minutes of sunshine here then it disappeared again. More rain on the way I hear, the weeds are prolific!

Both dogs are napping ~ I'm a bit jealous :H
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Lav, I did not mean that people can't be lactose intolerant. And I'm really sorry that you are struggling with this.

I was rather bemoaning the fact that several ladies in my yoga class seem to think its cool to develop food intolerances. They have no proof or evidence but the more they have, the higher their status.

Also, more and more people seem to have IBS and more kids have ADD but I think our highly processed diet may have something to do with this.

They did peeve me off to the point where I had full bloodwork and found out I am slightly intolerant to soy, rice, turkey and vanilla of all things.

Thanks Shue
                  for someone who intended to elope, I spent the whole bloody day on this site. What does NA say? Keep coming back, it works when you work it!

Comment

Dizzy, Paleo can be anywhere from low carb to moderate carb. the main thing is the carbs your getting are from veggies and not cereal grains. that's the key. I'm eating carbs right now... a big bowl of wonderful homemade cole slaw with apple and walnut (and yes lots of garlic!).
                    nosce te ipsum
                    (Know Thyself)

Comment

Lav, I have a really cool circa 1971 yogurt maker sitting here unused because I travel so much
                      nosce te ipsum
                      (Know Thyself)

Comment

Now you made me hungry, it sounds very yum but its almost midnight and time for bed.

Does one really need a yogurt maker? I once left a glass of milk outside for two days and it sure did resemble yogurt and smelt like yogurt but it had a damn fly in it. Will ask my friend google.

Nighty night everyone.

Comment

When I ate yogurt ~ I preferred it healthier & without flies Dizzy :H

My lactose intolerance came on pretty swiftly after the birth of my second child. But if I was careful & didn't consume too much I was OK. My current situation (I am 100% sure of this) is a result of my gut being totally screwed up 8 years ago when I was talked into taking Fosamax for osteoporosis - BIG FRIGGIN MISTAKE!!!! I have learned that Fosamax can cause a Leaky Gut
                          Long story short, I have two doctors pissed off at me because I refuse to take any more of those poisonous drugs. I have read that the IV versions they've come out with cause just as many horrors.

At this point in my life I just want a peaceful mind & a peaceful gut :H

Det, the homemade yougurt is good. Make some on the weekends if you can - yum!!
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

hey Fabbies-Back about an hour from the agility trial. Great but very long day. Next time Mickey and LM are coming with!! DD and I did very well. We had 4 runs and Q'd in 3 and got 1st place in all 4. Everyone was very nice and I bonded with 2 fairly local women who I hope to hang with at the next trial in June. The group that ran the trial made all the new comers feel very welcome and DD and I will have our picture on their FB page for being newcomers!! I snag it when they put it up and post it here. The judge was great and wore the cutes pair of purple camo pants. I want a pair-only in pink!!

DB-I'm so sorry you went to the dark side over your BF but boy do I get it. The important thing is that you are back on the wagon again and hopefully have learned that AL does NOTHING to fix a problem or help us to deal with stressful and emotional situations and feelings. Stick with us to stay on the straight and narrow!!

Hope everyone had a great day. I'm sure and tired and need to turn in early. So grateful to come home to you guys!!
                            New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

great news Papmom! more great news....I found your pants:

Pink Camouflage Bermuda Shorts
                              nosce te ipsum
                              (Know Thyself)

Comment

ooh, even more spiffy:

Amazon.com: ROTHCO PINK CAMO B.D.U. PANTS - Poly Cotton Twill Material - Size XL: Everything Else
                                nosce te ipsum
                                (Know Thyself)

Comment

Working...
                                X