AF Daily - Wednesday May 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, Kaslo, clients can be a royal pain in the butt sometimes. I think, fingers crossed, that the new hospital group is going to be OK. I'm translating 200 of their Nursing Policies from Afrikaans to English and when I was there last I spotted they had at least 10 other policy files, so fingers crossed that we hit it off well.

The translation is going slowly as I've had some issues with concentration. My new antidepressant has truly put a spring in my step and made me a bit hyperactive. Its great that I'm now bubbly but not so great that my attention span seems to be all over the place.

But I really do like medical work. I dabble in writing, editing and translation and have done a fair bit of medical work. I started by writing up reports for a Mental Health Nursing Home in London and then I did copywriting for Mediclinic here for two years. They recently expanded to also have branches in Switzerland and Dubai.

Well, as I think its just us here now (and its almost 2am so actually way past my bed time I'll expand a bit) For Mediclinic I did a lot of editing but I never changed the style or meaning. Well, when you work in the corporate world you have to always obey the tone of voice so then you have to work with some very annoying cutsey nurses who want flowery poems and my little ponies on their brochures.

At other times you have to man up and explain to really important brain surgeons that their corporate literature and website is hurting their image. For example, I had to write a brochure for a Ortho Spine Brain clinic and the (very expensive) website was littered in spelling and grammar mistakes. I had to tell the big cahoona that I would not trust someone to cut open my skull if I can't trust him to even spell. Luckily he listened and I fixed it up.

OK, I'm rambling. Afrikaans. Yes, there is still a lot happening with the language. Unfortunately it is still tainted by the hangover of apartheid but I'm luckily too young to have been a part of that. I'm Afrikaans but I guess I'm a bit of a snob as I don't like what most Afrikaans mainstream people like. They have awful taste in music etc. They just like pop and country Afrikaans, no originality in that. Also, I'm fully billingual but Afrikaans is my home language, it is beautiful, it has the best swear words in the world, I love it and I really hope it stays alive forever.

We have a yearly cultural festival where we celebrate all things Afrikaans with plays, music etc. Afrikaans people still have the most spending power in the country and therefore big business still cater for us and a lot of magazines, radio, tv is still in English and Afrikaans. And of course we have another NINE official languages. Yikes.

They do hip hop and rap and all things cool with Afrikaans. The latest trend is to make Trailer Park cool. You can google 'Die Antwoord' they are really big in America at the moment. Jack Parow is also very big locally. Charlize Theron is an Afrikaans girl but of course she managed to change her accent very quickly If you are interested in seeing a South African comedian who is also now making it big in the US, google Trevor Noah. He's not Afrikaans but mixed race, very clued up and excellent at immitating local accents and peculiarities.

Good luck with that moose kill risk assessment...I think the beach study sounds more fun.

Goodnight
    Sleepy time for dizzybutt
    Over and out
    Oh, and do see that Johnny Depp movie, I think you'll like it

Comment

Quick garlic flavored greeting from cell phone. At restaurant overlooking
      The bay of oakland. Quite pretty
      Back soon xxxx
      nosce te ipsum
      (Know Thyself)

Comment

ok, back in hotel room for the night. a quick pic from my walk over to restaurant:

nosce te ipsum
        (Know Thyself)

Comment

oh my Det-that is just loverly!!

Kas-your little garden bed is to die for and Sunni you are kicking arse with your gardens. Who wants to come east? Oiy, I feel like I'll NEVER get my gardens tidyed up with this new schedule!!

What a lovely day yesterday with the 2 year celebration! Thanks all!

Dizzy-your work is facinating!! Too bad I don't speak, read or write another language. I bet translation would be right up my alley!!

Shue-thanks for the tea this morning. I really needed it!! You sound very peaceful and content these days!!

Sugar-great job with navigating Sun. nite!! You are rockin the sober life!!

Lav-how was your day with the dualing diaper twins?

I'm not quite sure what to make of what is going on at work. Today my boss told me that the VP wants to take my main reason for being hired 4 years ago and give those tasks to another department. I asked him point blank if she was trying to get rid of me because lets face it-if Admissions does the transfer evals, what does that leave me? They are not going to pay me my paultry salary to sit there and surf the web. He said no but also said she didn't offer an alternative job description either. Trying not to panic here......

Also, just got an email from my sis. My nephew missed his flight to Ireland!! He thought it was tomorrow because it said they arrived on the 10th and my sis was trying to be hands off so she didn't double check!! This is not good! the choices are he goes tomorrow by himself or on Sunday with a professor. he may be 20 but I vote for Sunday.
          G'nite all!
          New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Working...
          X