Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

May Flowers - Week 4

Good Evening Friends,

It's been a fabulous AF day. It is my 2nd AF Memorial Day holiday and tomorrow marks my two year drunk-free anniversary. My job change has allowed me the time to enjoy my life....and not be chained to my desk on the weekend. I'm loving this new life.

Dew....It is great to see you!!!::l I have been thinking about you a lot lately....wondering if your health has been good and if you continue to be cancer-free. I miss your thoughtful posts, and I am delighted that you popped in. I am glad you are taking well-needed time out to just breathe. Your words below struck a chord with me. I so understand how you feel. I feel the same way:

I also have had an uncomfortable amount of anxiety when I am not ?working? ? where the hell does that come from. I am also acutely aware that I have been on that hamster wheel of work for too long and it will probably take me a while before I can completely chill out and be me
    . I have been denying this for a LONG time, but I am a workaholic.....just like my dad. The automotive industry(the industry I've been in for 12 years) shuts down between about December 18 and January 6, and I get so bored because I really don't have any hobbies, although I am trying to develop some. Yes, I get anxious, too, and I guess it's because I somehow feel guilty when I'm not working.

Lav-I'm glad you had fun with your family today. Did YB come over, too? So sorry to hear about your brothers' continuing patterns of self-abuse. My friends 3 kids (Ages-60, 56, and 52) all smoke and drink heavily. Can they not see what the deadly destroyer tag team of booze and cigs due to a person?

Papmom:l Did you get the fence situation taken care of? You continue to be a fine model of AF strength for everyone here.

Chill-I love what you said about Jason Vale's book "Slim for Life" and how juicing is supposed to be good for arthritis. I am going to invest in a juicer...makes sense to me. I have been reading over some of your old posts and have decided that I'm going to buy some of Wayne Dyer's books. I remember telling you that even my Mom was impressed with his attitude, and I figure we can both benefit from his wisdom. Your positive outlook is infectious, and I'm glad some of it rubbed off on me.

Janice-how are you holding up? How was your Mam today? I made a mistake in the author's name for that book, "The Glass Castle." It's Jeanette Walls. Taylor is her maiden name.

A happy hello to anyone I missed, have a relaxing AF night!

Comment

May Flowers - Week 4

How about Joyous June for our new name or did we do that last year? I can't remember. Where is our wonderful historian Chill?

Rusty-I can't tell you how great my heart feels when I see your words about how wonderful this job change has been for you. When one door closes..... How very very true and you are the shining example!! Just so happy for you I can't even begin to express it!!

No, fence situation isn't resolved but I am looking at different options including a bamboo screen. Not planted but hooked onto my chain link. It comes in a 50 foot roll I think. I'm also thinking of tall ornamental grasses but they will take too long to grow. Might do them in addition to the bamboo. Still thinking. I just have to get through this week and then I'm off for 10 days so I can really get cracking.

Lav-so glad the storms held off for you (did they?). Your menu sounded so delish! I know someone on the abs thread that would be drooling by now !!

Half of the house is clean and guest ready. Other half tomorrow morning and then I can enjoy my visit with my friend who will be stopping by on her way home to Maine. We will let all the paps (5) run in the newly mowed and trimmed yard (I hired someone as my neph couldn't do it and my lawnmower broke anyway) if the weather behaves. Her poor dogs have been leashed and crated all weekend. Then I get to FINALLY relax for the afternoon and then it's LOBSTAHS and STEAMAHS at my sister's house and a swim in the pool if no storms. Big if.

Sleep tight everyone!! :h
      New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

May Flowers - Week 4

PS Rusty-Whoo hoo!! Can't wait for the party tomorrow!!

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

May Flowers - Week 4

Good morning everyone

:goodjob: Rusty and congratulations. Thank you for all your wonderful posts, you have brightened up many a day for me.

Dew - good to hear from you. Like the others I have often wondered how you are getting on. If any of our other former members are lurking, please check in once in a while. We love to hear from you.

Lav - your meal sounded delicious. Hope you got a good sleep and not up too early with Matilda. Miss Layla sleeps in the utility room and seems to have settled in well. Its far enough from my room that I dont hear any racket until I am ready to get up!!

Papmom - hope you get the fence issue sorted. Love that name for June. Cant even remember what we had last year. Enjoy your time with your friend.

Everyone else big hello and enjoy your week. We had fantastic weather this week-end. I had breakfast, lunch and dinner on the patio. Cant even remember the last time I was able to do that. Exams still on this week so my schedule is all over the place.

Rustop

Comment

May Flowers - Week 4

Good morning all!

Got almost an extra half hour of sleep, thanks Matilda

Happy two year drunk free anni Ms Rusty!!!!!
            I am so happy we are on the AF journey together & growing stronger each & every day
            AF holidays rock & I'm thrilled that we all finally know this!

papmom, I wanted to talk to my daughter & SIL yesterday about your dog problems but never got a chance. I'm sure they could come up with some suggestions for you. They are no longer training dogs but they do have all that knowledge. Have a nice day with your friend today!

Rustop, I still have Matilda's crate in my bedroom & would love to move it somewhere. My problem is finding a quiet place for the crate that the grandkids can't get to I'll figure it out at some point. Glad you are having nice weather, enjoy!

Haven't had any of the storms yet but it sure is looking like rain now.
            Wishing everyone a wonderful AF day!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

May Flowers - Week 4

A good Monday to you all

Dewdrop - Lovely to hear from you, it takes time for us to control that monkey mind but with your experience in meditation you will get the better of it. Your garden sound a delight.

Lav - Your meal sounded heavenly, especially the black bean burgers! Yum.....

Papmom - are you doing something special with your time off work? Your description of butterflys and dragonflies reminded me of what we call an English Country Garden. I cant remember last June's name but I am always up for a bit of Joy :yougo:

Rustop - Talking of joy, isn't this weather idylic! I think it may be due to break in the next couple of days though.

Rusty - You sound so happy its radiating from your posts :sun: I could talk all day to your Mom about dear Wayne, he is my biggest influence and I have him to thank for so much in my life. He has a new book out called Wishes Fullfilled which I have still to buy as I hear it is packed with wisdom.

I had a lovely day yesterday in Cheltenham which is a beautiful town in Gloucestershire about an hour away. I have to confess that I was following SD's footsteps and was on a date! :h He is a very interesting man, a jazz musician, a landscape architect and a counsellor in psychology. We got along very well and I hope to see him again soon.
              "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
              AF - JAN 1st 2010
              NF - May 1996

Comment

May Flowers - Week 4

Nice on the date Chill

Speaking of Dewdrop -
                She suggested a website that I now have on my FB page - great timing for all of us:
                Give your head a rest from thinking | Wildmind Buddhist Meditation
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

May Flowers - Week 4

Lav - excellent link! I have just stuck a post-it note to my computer saying:-
                  What am I thinking? Is it productive? and do I want to continue thinking about this?
                  A perfect ref. check for when that monkey mind starts :tonguemonkey:
                  "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                  AF - JAN 1st 2010
                  NF - May 1996

Comment

May Flowers - Week 4

Good Memorial Day Morning!

Lav, that website is amazing!!! Thank you, Dew, for suggesting it!:h I printed it out and put it in your folder. Yes, Dew, YOU have a folder on my laptop. It's almost as prestigious as having your name on a mailbox.:H Wow, Chill this resonates with me:
                    What am I thinking? Is it productive? and do I want to continue thinking about this?
                    That is exactly what I did when my drinking became too much for me. Because of AL's depressant nature, I would think about negative situations that had happened to me years before....old boyfriends, relationships, etc., nothing I could anything about. And what a waste!

I like our thread the best because all of us here add more than the common denominator of an AF journey. We're all interested in improving other aspects of our lives, and learning about other topics, hobbies and interests. What an incredible universe of knowledge we possess. I'm so glad people are willing to share that. I would never have visited this website if Dew hadn't suggested it to Lav. I am going to pass this on to my dearest friend. She really needs to see it. That constant negative thinking becomes addictive, too, doesn't it? Lav, I feel especially badly for you because I know YB's thinking was (and still is, sometimes) an albatross around your neck, and I'm glad you're strong.

Chill-I'm thrilled you had fun on your date. He sounds like a nice, intelligent, and interesting guy. 2 great dates in a row! Good for you. Way back in the early 70s, there was a TV show called "The Dating Game." You made me think of that.

Pap, Rustop, Chill, Lav ....thank you for the kind words regarding my 2 year-drunk free anniversary. It sure has gone by fast.

Rustop-I am so glad you had weather lovely enough to eat outside on your patio. The sunshine and warmth must be a welcome relief for you. Also, wishing your daughter the best of luck on her exams.

Papmom-Enjoy the LOBSTAHS and the STEAMAHS. :H You know my Mom is from Maine so she ate lobstahs and steamahs quite a bit. She came from a VERY poor family so they did all the trapping themselves.

Later today, when I get back from my run and I have finished planting my flowers, I will follow Pap and Lav's Photobucket instructions and post a pic of a double rainbow
                    I saw May 9. I e-mailed it to my sister-in-law and she said, "You know what, Rusty? I think this is a sign that your luck will be turning around and things will finally fall into place with you." She was right. I Googled it, and there is a YouTube clip of a double rainbow at Yosemite National Park.

Jolie, what are you doing this weekend?

SD-Are you chauffeuring today?

Bouv-have you been sailing this weekend?

Has anyone heard from Shelley, Dill or Sunni?

A shoutout to FlyAway, Blonde and Turnagain....hey, we miss you. Come back, please.

Ok, off to enjoy my day! See you all later.:h

Comment

May Flowers - Week 4

TOO HOT OUT!!!

It's 12 noon & already I'm back in the house & grateful for my AC
                      Yikes, it's gonna be a long summer.
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09

Comment

May Flowers - Week 4

Hi Lav,

Still not out the door yet. It was 95 degrees here yesterday, not a cloud in the sky....35 degrees Celcius! I don't blame you for staying in a cool AC house!! Because I am a redhead with horribly fair skin (think alabaster and freckles), I must dress like I am in the Witness Protection Program if I want to go outside. Yup, 50 SPF sunscreen, big floppy hat, windshield-sized sunglasses and toting a large water bottle! I think as we get older, our bodies just cannot tolerate AL, too much food, sun, etc., whether we are addicted or not. Oddly enough, 2 years ago, on this day, it was 95 degrees outside, and I was sitting on the toilet, whilst my head was stuffed in the wastebasket, with dry heaves, wishing I could find my way out.....and dreading the fact I had agreed to meet a friend for lunch. Did go to lunch, althought the AC was broken on my car. In addition to being hungover, I got heat stroke. So so so glad those days are over!!

Ok, off my soapbox. Currently in my condo, sporting a lovely canary yellow sweatshirt with Tweetie bird on it (AC is set at 67 degrees). It's a lovely way to celebrate my anniversary....with close friends around, and AF.

Right, yes, I will get going. See you later.

Comment

May Flowers - Week 4

These definitely are better days Rusty
                          No going back to that dark, puking place for us!

Sounds like Tweety is holding up pretty well :H
                          I have my AC set at 72 degrees so I don't freeze out the kids when they're here. Stay out of the excessive heat lady, I am :H
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

May Flowers - Week 4

Happy Monday everyone!

Rusty - thanks for noticing - 5 months is right around the corner but I'm trying to concentrate on the way I'm feeling and not the number. Did that the last time and only made it to 4 months. Anywho - thanks again for your kind words.

JEEZ - it's stinkin hot here! Haven't turned the AC on because I hate it and hubby is anal about turning it off once it's turned on I prefer the fresh air but I'm sweating buckets. Drinking lots of ice water w/lemon and keeping myself cool.

Chill - way to go girl on the date! Look forward to hearing all the details and hope you get to see him again!

Rusty - :goodjob: AWESOME on 2 years! Interesting to see that you still remember the day it all turned around for you - inspiring too!

Papmom - hope you enjoy your visit with your friend.

Rustop - good luck with that busy schedule - hope your week is stress-free.

I have so enjoyed my 4 days off - hubby and I had a campfire last 2 nights and it was so peaceful and calming - sometimes the tv gets old and sitting in front of fire (even when it's 80+ stinkin degrees) is a nice change of habit.

Okay - peace to all as those of us who are headed back to work tomorrow start a new week! Can't believe June is almost here!

Night all!
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

May Flowers - Week 4

Jolie!

Hi.....geez, I hope I didn't jinx you with calling out your anniversary date of June 2.. I think that it's soooo romantic that you and your husband had a campfire. I think they're very soothing....even when it's scorching hot outside! Close your eyes, Smokey The Bear!:H Good for you for having 4 days off. It's back to work for me tomorrow, too...but at least I'll be at home and no on a plane, etc.

Oh yeah, regarding that fateful life-changing event 2 years ago....that memory will never fade, but that's probably a good thing. Thanks for your kind words.

I have not worked out so that's where I'm headed.

Have a peaceful AF evening.

Comment

May Flowers - Week 4

HUGE CONGRATS ON 2 YEARS RUSTY!!

I'm sorry I'm checking in so late but I did want to acknowledge all your hard work these past 2 years. Despite some enormous disappointments and setbacks you have not let AL run your life and that is something to be might proud of!! :goodjob:

Wonderful day today as I expected. Great visit with my friend-the heat and humidity held off until the afternoon. Got to my Sis's house around 5 just as the heat/humidity went away and a breeze popped up for most of the nite. I did not swim-just hung out by the pool and then later in the screen house. Ah, luxory! Dinner was fab-lobstahs were hardshelled and dangerous!! I sliced my thumb open!! Not been a good week for me-I'm going to Orientation tomorrow looking like I just came out of combat! Burn on my left arm, HUGE colorful bruise on my right and a bandaged thumb!! Steamers were great too-no sand and they were safe :H. Great early corn on the cob, salad and a banana pudding and fresh berry parfait for dessert. My sister gave me new Bose speakers that I didn't expect (she works for Bose and this is the time of year the employees get great discounts)-I had mentioned a few weeks ago that the ones she gave me for xmas a long time ago never did work right and I just never called the service number to get help or told her about it. Felt very bad and now she goes and gets me new ones!! Can't wait to crank up the stereo! I also took the last of the pavers they said I could have that came out when they got the new patio put in. I now have about 20 of those nice, heavy rectangular thick pavers that look so nice as a landscape border. By the end of the summer my front yard is going to look like something out of Better Homes and Gardens!
                                Got those suckers unloaded and the dogs pottied just in time for the T-storms to start rumbling. Will probably be a noisy nite but again Sis to the rescue with foam ear plugs that she bought in bulk at BJs.

The only thing to ruin a perfect weekend (despite the injuries and setbacks of mower and dryer crapping out) is going back to work tomorrow!! :H

Have a great nite all!

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Working...
                                X