Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weekly AA Thread - June 18 - 24

Just a quick hello from me

Not sure if anyone has checked out the Tool Box lately (monthly Abstinence section) but Sober Visitor, a new MWO member, posted some brilliant pictures today at the end of the thread, showing the hell and isolation of alcoholism in different situations. Do take a look, they say a picture paints 1000 words..... Well I think these achieve even more than that.

Take care all

Sausage x
    Day 121 AF

Comment

How sick is this? I have thrown up so much over the last year.....that I can feel the damage done to my teeth and gums....so what do I do....simply not go to the dentist.

I am understanding more about AA. If I knew how to not drink.....I would not even be there. There is some white knuckling that has to be done, before the lifestyle sits in. There is no instant relief just because you showed up at a meeting. You have to start doing the work. And thinking that God will instantly relieve me....is not the way it is going to be. For some it seems to be that way...not for me.

But, I believe in it. We have one gal from ala-non who comes with her Dad who is an alkie. How beautiful is that? But I hate on her Meaning you can have this lifestyle.....and still drink. She probably does not even drink. Its just my sick, sick mind

I really want the life. But, I am clear on what I will miss the most. I live in Nashville and Honky Tonking is great fun. Why? I go with my husband who knows what to expect......and nobody knows me. It is the greatest time to hear great music.....and just let loose. Oh...wait...I barely remember the evening....so how do I know if it was actually fun? But, that is the one thing that lingers in my mind. The kids and I went downtown today.....HOF.....and my son who is 11 wanted to go Honky Tonking.....thank God it was 100 degrees....so we did or thing at the HOF.....and went home. This is something that will rage within me though.....I loved going to HOF and going downtown for the afternoon. It was great fun. Since we had the kids we left by early afternoon.....except Mommy bought a 12 pack on the way home. I am just being honest. But.....if that is all I have to leave behind....all is good. Why I try to think I can re-create that fun on a Wednesday night.....drink alone at home...have to go to work.....be sick the whole next day.....Is dumb!

One day at a time.

Comment

Sunflower, it does take some time to get through all of this stuff. You are correct that attending an AA meeting does not provide instant relief. I drank for almost 40 years, but I wanted an "instant cure". It took me about 6 months to finally get 30 days of continuous sobriety. I was totally anti-AA, but it has been the only thing that has worked for me. Good luck on you journey.
        Love and Peace,
        Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

SF: Last night we went to a friend's home for a great bar-b-que. Everyone had their drink or 2 since nobody was an alcoholic. The host had gotten a big bottle of diet Coke for me, & I enjoyed that & the whole evening just as much as everyone else. What would have been the alternative?

-I would have been trying to get more, more, more wo/anyone noticing.
          -After a while, I would have been unable to keep up w/the conversation.
          -I would have gone home w/a headache from all the wine.
          -I would have awakened today w/a hangover.

Instead I feel perfectly clear & well & am going to watch my g-kids this morning. I wouldn't have ever been able to do that in the old drinking days. It takes a while for the gifts of sobriety to be appreciated.

Take care. Remember it's one day at a time. You don't have to think about all the fun you'll be missing in the future. You'll have a little different version of fun when you get sober.

Mary
          Wisdom, Courage, Strength
          October 3, 2012

Comment

Thank you to everyone. I was a bit ready to give up on the whole AA thing. It's going to take time until I am comfortable in this new life. I do know I have an allergy. And I can not have that first drink. Being edgy is way better than what I ended up experiencing.

Comment

Working...
            X