Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weekly AA Thread - July 3 - July 8

Greetings Liath:
    I am active in AA and have been at MWO a long time. I think I was hoping to achieve moderation when I first came upon MWO. However it is suggested that one do 30 days without drinking before attempting moderation. Weil, I could not achieve 30 continuous days of sobriety on my own. So after several years of trying, I finally went to AA. The first 30 days was extremely difficult for me. But you know what? After 30 days...then 60...then almost like who is counting... and now I have no desire to drink.

AA has no monopoly on sobriety, BUT it works for me.
    Love and Peace,
    Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

@Mary-- I too was going downhill FAST... it is terrifying to even think about it. And I could not have made it to day 5 sober on my own. I would wake up each morning and my first thought would be, "how much did I drink last night?" And the night would come rushing back. I would always drink as much as I bought, so if it was only a few beers, I would breathe a sigh of relief--no hangover. Often enough it was a whole bottle of wine, but during stressful times, that was not enough. I have for the past two years occasionally gotten into binges that lasted for days and started with me dragging myself to the liquor store, trying to look "normal", as if I was picking up the wine for a dinner party. Ha HA.

I can NOT get sober without AA. I need to sit in a room every day with other alcoholics in solidarity. Did I want this fate?? No! But there is nothing I can do to change it... I am just lucky the wonderful women in AA in my city came to help me. And now I have 5 days sober! I am looking forward to a meeting in a couple of hours.

Phil-- I also came to MWO (in 2009) trying to moderate/quit.. I tried the whole program, but nothing worked. Nothing but AA has any chance in hell of helping me beat this thing successfully. I know that now, and I am so grateful to AA. The program is literally SAVING my life.

Well hopefully we can get some discussion going. I am sort of leaning on MWO late at night when I can't go to meetings.

What a life! I went through the why me, poor me stage last year... has anyone else felt like that? Why can he/she enjoy a few drinks but not me?? Well I have accepted the truth. If I keep drinking, it will destroy me. Die with a drink in my hand or live, and never touch it again!

Thanks!
      Liath

Comment

I have friend who calls it the "pour me" syndrome...Pour me another drink. Good Lord....is that my biggest problem really....I don't have cancer raging through my body that I can not control....I can arrest this, by not drinking. I too need the support. And I am ready to get a sponsor....hopefully that happens soon. Because I need that person.

Comment

TheSunFlower;1347723 wrote: I have friend who calls it the "pour me" syndrome...Pour me another drink. Good Lord....is that my biggest problem really....I don't have cancer raging through my body that I can not control....I can arrest this, by not drinking. I too need the support. And I am ready to get a sponsor....hopefully that happens soon. Because I need that person.
          Hey Sun!!
          You sound sooo good today and I love the 'pour me' . Been there WAY too often.

:l
          On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
          *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Hi Liath
            I definetly need AA to stay sober. I need the fellowship it offers. Ten days ago I logged onto MWO after a 5 day binge. The fellowship here helped me survive my 4 day detox with encouragement and great advice till I was able to eat again. I went back to the AA program on day 3 of my detox and the feeling of belonging that came over me was worth all the shaking and tears I went through that day.
            I returned today to make this my home group and one of the long time members offered to be my intern sponsor and get me started on the steps. I am excited to get going on them. Congrats on day 5 AF :goodjob:

Comment

Working...
            X