Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF day Sunday 15th July

Hi all,

Here I am on Day 15! The weekend presented some challenges. Friday night I was feeling down and sorry for myself and desperately wanting a drink. No, not "a" drink - I wanted to get shit-faced truthfully. But I thought it all through - how much worse I'd ultimately feel - and instead made soup, watched some trashy TV, had a bath and went to bed early. As a result instead of waking up feeling hungover and angry at myself I woke up feeling fine.

Mick, you are doing fantastically - keep it up! Isn't it amazing to discover how different the weekends are - and how much more you can fit in - when you aren't drinking? It's both my most challenging time (Friday night particularly is a huge trigger) but also the most rewarding. I love being up early feeling great instead of crawling out of bed late hungover feeling I've wasted the day.

LifeChange, I'm happy to see you back. I've wondered what was going on with you. You might want to come join us in the Nest too? I think we're in a very similar place and I, too, have only started posting here since feeling a shift in my commitment. It's ultimately so much easier to take it off the table entirely as an option yet also a very hard shift to make. Glad you're also getting to that place.

Kaslo
    , great post, it's posts like your last one that really help keep me motivated. CONGRATULATIONS on a year and a half! Also, I really hope they find the missing people in your town - very sad.

Turnagain
    , I agree that realization - and information - is the other important flip side to acceptance. Doing a lot of reading about the physiology of addiction and the damages alcohol does to your body is helping me get there slowly.

Again, a bit of cross posting from the Nest to follow. Sorry to those reading both places...

I realize that around this time - two weeks - is usually when my attempts fail. I start to feel better and I forget why I'm doing this. I found those thoughts creeping in this weekend and had to fight them, so I'm aware this week I need to be extra careful and really keep reminding myself why it is important.

My other news is that I went to my first group on Friday, a SMART group. To be honest, I don't think it - that particular group - was necessarily a good fit for me. The people were, there's no nice way to say this, just so much more down and out than me. From what was said I think most of them were court ordered to be there. I felt and feel like a snob saying this and I had to actively remind myself that the only difference as far as addiction goes between me and these people is being middle class and educated and not as far down the path (and perhaps that's largely due to the good fortune of being born white, middle class and educated).

Still, having said that, being surrounded by guys talking about drinking 3-4 litres a day and junkies who seemed practically brain damaged by their use is dangerous for me - too easy to start thinking "Oh I'm not that bad" "It's ridiculous I'm here" "I'm not like these people" etc.

The upside is that I broke through my fear of going to a meeting. It wasn't ideal but I did it! So, I've decided to keep pushing on and go to a meeting a week for a month - different meetings not that one, both AA and Smart and see if I can find one I like more. I still think there's something powerful in being in a room with other addicts regardless. While in many ways I couldn't relate to these people, in some ways I could. Addiction may be the great leveler.

I still am so resistant to AA but maybe I can find a group with enough atheists like me to feel comfortable. So much about it turns me off but I still think some real life support from people in the same place is probably worth pursuing. Thoughts anyone?

Comment

AF day Sunday 15th July

Long day but I just wanted to jump back in to say goodnight AND

CONGRATS Kaslo
      So sorry about your weather related local drama
      There are thunder storms going on here right now bringing so much need rain.

Turn, loved your pics
      I have never been to the Grand Canyon. That's something I thought we would do someday......
      Thanks for posting your pics.

Lily, sorry to hear your meeting wasn't a good fit. Maybe you'll find another more suitable if that's what you want. I agree that addiction is a great leveler. Congrats on your 15 AF days!

LifeChange, good to see you again!
      You are 100% right ~ moderation just does not work. Most of us have found that truth the hard way. Accept that you can no longer drink AL safely & your life gets better pretty quickly

Hope everyone has a great night!
      Lav

PS: Det - where are you?
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

AF day Sunday 15th July

Greetings, Fabs and Fabinis!

Turn, that was a gorgy picture!

Oh.. and hello, and I'm still alive. Sort of :H
        I've been busy as heck with work, hay, and the barn, mostly. About 530 bales of hay over the last couple of weeks and my back has been protesting LOUDLY. Oh, and getting the boat ready, too. I actually made it into the house by 9:30pm tonight but was in desperate need of a shower and kinda had to feed Mr. Wonderful as well

Anywho.. come next weekend, it's all about visitors. I'll be picking up Peanut for the weekend on Friday, Mr W's oldest is coming with 4 or 5 friends as well next weekend, my dad and his g/f the weekend after, friends the weekend after that, and then it's almost time for my 'other' daughter (from Germany) for at least 6 months.. errrm, yeah.. it's busy.

My friend from down south is also here, boarding her horse with me. Unfortunately, my 'scared of my own shadow' horse is less than hospitable to her horse and turning into a bit of a bully But I've been getting in some riding (in the evenings; GOD, it's freaking hot during the day)

I'll leave you with a couple of pictures:

Around the barn:

My chewed up, dried up garden:

Wishing you all a fantastic rest of July... love you and miss you! :h
        Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Working...
        X