AF day Thursday 19th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF day Thursday 19th

Thanks Turn. After posting I was hit with an all encompassing craving. A friend in recovery was calling and I could not even answer the phone. I just hung on tight for the ride. It was exhausting! But, I did not drink. Now just trying to watch tv programs that don't have booze all over the place.

Comment

AF day Thursday 19th

Morning all,

Glad to see everyone so happy and chipper this morning. I've got a big cup of that coffee in hand…

Just realized tomorrow will be Day 20 for me, which is exciting. The last time I got there was last October, when I went 25 days, including my birthday party, then gave into some wine on a weekend away. 30 days seems like such a tiny amount of time in the grand scheme of things but it will be a big deal to get there regardless since I've been trying to for a whole year. I can see the point in initially focusing on 30 days, as that's still long enough to clear one's head a little and also have to face a variety of challenging situations.

Speaking of, I need to get myself in a strong, positive frame of mind to steel myself for a birthday party karaoke dinner at a restaurant tomorrow night. Unfortunately it's too good a friend to not go but I am sort of dreading it as I know it will be a huge booze fest and I'm worried I'll get hassled for not drinking. Can't quite imagine doing karaoke in front of a restaurant sober but, who knows, maybe I'll surprise myself?

Lifechange, I don't cook seafood as often as I'd like, simply because there's no good supplier nearby. I should make the effort to get to the fish markets more often. I've been on a bit of a dieting/health kick lately too. Because it's also winter here I've been making lots of soups. Made the most delicious broccoli leek and potato soup last night (with lots of garlic and herbs, a little ginger and chicken stock). Think a sweet potato-carrot-red-lentil soup is next. A girlfriend who loves to cook too was shocked to learn I'd never made pasta from scratch so we bought a little pasta machine and on Sunday we're going shopping at this great old-school Italian deli then going to make pasta and maybe duck ragu. Mmmm….

Shue, thanks so much for the kind words about my posts. I'm feeling a bit down on myself about my writing at the moment - professionally speaking - so that's extra nice to hear. That is terrible re the suicide bomber - I saw that news story. So you are in Bulgeria? But from the US originally? Or the UK? How do you come to be there? I'd love to know what you do now for work that involves so much travel but if you'd rather not say here I'll ask on chat sometime!

Also, let me know how you go re SMART. As I mentioned here my initial experience wasn't great but that was down to the particular group of people not the program. I'm still contemplating AA - and have been listening to podcasts of meetings - but I'm just not sure I can get past the 'surrender to a higher power' thing.

Sunflower, WELL DONE on the award. That is totally awesome and a great impetus to go totally AF. What a great mental and physical reminder. Look at it any time you're feeling weak and think of the successes to come if you stay AF. I absolutely relate to what you said about drinking both to celebrate and due to feelings of inadequacy. We can find happier ways to celebrate now and also keep gaining self confidence through our strength in not drinking.

Lav
      , that's great to hear re the anxiety. It was actually the worsening of that - and the depression - that started me thinking about quitting drinking. How long did you find it took to start to really notice this easing?

Papmom
      - Great news re the job interview. Also, what are you reading. For anyone looking for a good book I've been reading 'My Year of Meat' this week and it's SUCH a great read.

Ok, sorry for the over-long post as always peeps. I'm always trying to catch up on a whole day plus verbosity is an occupational hazard - and I type really fast

Lilly x

Comment

AF day Thursday 19th

Lavande;1352211 wrote: Speaking of pickles - where's greenie this week?
        tough week. Lots of stuff going wrong and having to be fixed, and fixed again. grrrr. but af makes it so much easier. barely skimming the thread if I get here at all. but big shout out to everyone!
        sigpic
        Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Working...
        X