AF daily - Sunday, July 29th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, this is both for me and CanToo… a reminder of why life is better even just after 29 days AF. Cantoo, I know how hard it is to hang on in the early days, when you're still suffering the detox effects and possibly cravings but keep going and even after a week, two, three, you'll see positive changes. Have you quit for any length of time before? Sorry if you have a thread elsewhere I haven't seen. I have some MWO catching up to do...

After 4 weeks sober…

I feel calmer, happier, more positive, less anxious, less depressed

I am sleeping better and my allergies are, not gone, but much better

I have been working out, eating healthily and as a result have lost over 2.5 kilos and can see signs my fitness is improving

I have spent sooo much less money and saved money. I've put $100 a week aside each week I haven't drunk into a special account (including the month of June in which I only drunk on two nights) with which I've saved enough to buy myself an iPad and treat myself to that dinner Friday with $200 in the account now awaiting another treat…

I feel more present with my friends without booze getting in the way

I feel proud of myself for tackling this

I feel more focused on the future, not just bogged down in present drinking misery/worry

I am setting goals for myself

I am learning HUGE amounts about myself and this addiction. Sometimes it's painful but mostly it's great and way better than the dark fog of denial

You CAN do this CAN TOO
    and we will help you

Comment

Good evening everyone!

Lily, CONGRATS to you on reaching 30 AF days!!!!!
      The main thing that made me stay sober after the first 30 days was I just didn't want to disappoint myself again - been there & done that! I wanted & have complete access to my grandkids, I won't give that up for anything. Search your soul & you will come up with your own good reasons to keep AL out of your life, forever

After weeks of hot, humid weather & no relief from the bizarre pop up thunder storms here's what I saw outside after dinner tonight

AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Just checking in. Back on day 3. Being in AA I had the support of several people to get right back on track. Also, a clear vision of who I don't want to be. And certainly how I don't want to feel physically, mentally and emotionally.

Lilly....I am sure many here will respond to your questions. I know for me, my wanting to quit had nothing to losing anything. It was just torture being me.

Congrats Porq...I had only skimmed the threads and missed your 30 days!

Can't....alcohol leaves us all with those feelings. When you are feeling stronger I am sure their are several people who will be thrilled that you quit drinking and wanting to reconnect. For now, you got us.

Comment

Lilly, when I finally quit for good, I had about 4 years of long stretches of not drinking and had cut back quite a bit. As I have said many times, I dont think I have paid my dues as much as many people here. But I knew that any alcohol at all was going to make me ill.

I got past 30 days by remembering what it was like to wake up with a really bad hangover, which used to happen to me with very little AL at all. I said to myself, if I can do 30 days whats to stop me from trying for 60 days, then 6 months, because by then I had started to notice just how much better I felt. My chronic depression completely lifted. I just felt happier.

I am not sure if I would be able to NOT binge drink occassionally, so I just dont go there. I really dont want to feel like that again. It was awful. For me, any amount of AL leads to feeling like shit eventually, so I just tell myself, as DG used to say...wait a sec, I dont drink!
          Kaslo

Stopped the madness: February 14, 2011

Comment

Thank you Kas, Lav and Sunflower... great thoughts and advice as always. These are the things I need to be thinking about... WHY I don't want to go back there. It'll officially be 30 days tomorrow night my time so I plan to spend some time then reflecting on where I've been, where I am now, and where I want/need to be.

I will say, the support, advice and learning I've gained through MWO has been ESSENTIAL to making it this far. I thank each and every one of you for being here and for the generosity, bravery, empathy, wisdom and insight with which you all share.

Comment

I think I'm going to like it here.

Thank you all for sharing your stories and for the support. You are truly inspiring; I admire your strength and humaness (is that a word?). I look forward to the day I can do the same.

To LillyE - in the last 30ish years I'd have to say my longest AF period would have been 2 years (and that was probably 8 or nine years ago. I had stopped on June 18th and thought I could have just one or two on July 7th. Guess not...

End of another AF day. My goal is to have 7 AF days in a row.

I have a moto when I travel and it seems it holds true here. Things will work out with the kindness of strangers.

I hope to see you all tomorrow.

Cantoo
              AF Since July 27, 2012:jumpin:

"Don?t be satisfied with the norm if you want more. It?s okay to want to achieve special results. The world needs folks who dream and achieve big things. Never give up."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FS...e_gdata_player

Comment

CanToo, well, that's good news, it means you know you can live without Al You have before - you can again. What led you to quit for two years and why did you start again? How did you feel during those two years? Where might you be now if you'd stayed Al free and how would you like to get there this time? Just a few things to think about...

I've always liked that line about relying on the kindness of strangers. I love this place. It has been, as Life said, a life line for me. I do have supportive friends but I still can't open up to them about all this the way I can here and, when it comes to Al, I think we need people who really understand because they've been there.

Can you get any real life support too? How do you feel about the idea of AA or Smart Recovery meetings?

Comment

OH and Sausage, I'm guessing you've probably seen this already - maybe even posted on it - but just in case...

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f6...hol-30554.html

Sorry to hear about the diagnosis btw. My best friend got it after the birth of her children and has been on the meds ever since. It does seem relatively manageable from what I know from her. Still...

Comment

Working...
                  X