Weekly AA Thread - July 30 - Aug. 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pingu1997;1357607 wrote: We're meant to be going on a picnic with one of Tiggers friends but it's raining. Also I wrongly sent a Facebook reply to some of the other mums with stuff on there I really didn't want them to read...so to save face maybe I'm secretly glad it's raining lol
    It appears I am powerless over Facebook.......
    OOPs! hope it wasn't too bad? I sent one friend a text meant for the other a few weeks ago, it wasn't slagging her off exactly but a bit on the edge!!!
    Taking it ODAT

Comment

It was bad. It was about drinking and Meds and how I felt about aa. And to a load of bloody strangers too. Well my secrets out now..... Picnic cancelled due to weather. And I have to take tigger to the doctors with me.
      It appears I am also powerless over the weather.....
      I have a drink problem, I have been AF since 15 March 2011 and I am working hard to stay that way

They don't call me Pingu Purple Pants for nothing....

Comment

pingu1997;1357620 wrote: It was bad. It was about drinking and Meds and how I felt about aa. And to a load of bloody strangers too. Well my secrets out now..... Picnic cancelled due to weather. And I have to take tigger to the doctors with me.
        It appears I am also powerless over the weather.....
        Aw heck!! has anyone mentioned it or messaged you? how old is your little one?
        Taking it ODAT

Comment

Tigger is 7 and in the end the picnic family took her with them to the cinema and pizza hut. my big boy has just surfaced so I've left him at home playing on the ipad
          I have a drink problem, I have been AF since 15 March 2011 and I am working hard to stay that way

Comment

Aw that is great she got to go out and you got a peaceful visit to the docs!!
            Taking it ODAT

Comment

Catch22 I hope that you do ok at the funeral today. Addiction takes so many lives.

I laughed at the yoga comments. I am the opposite of what most people think a yogi looks like. Still not flexible. And certainly not skinny. But, holding a pose when I am uncomfortable with it....has helped me get through a craving. I learned that being uncomfortable is not going to kill me. And all that breathing....calms my nerves through tough situations.

But, honestly so much is lost in people just focusing on the physical practice. That is why I have been so disappointed in my new city. I just booked a trip, so I can spend an entire weekend back in my old city...immersed in my original teacher training. She allows past students to drop in for free. I am sooooo looking forward to it.

1 or 2 meetings today. The 2nd I should go to, but I am trying to avoid someone. Which is a really stupid reason not to go. Go and be uncomfortable

Comment

Good meeting last night. A dear friend from my home groups spoke. He stressed the importance of willingness. It doesn't matter how low a person is, if there isn't willingness, there can be no change. M
                Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                October 3, 2012

Comment

So true Mary. Over time my willingness would soften as I had more time. I would eventually drink. I always have to learn the hard way.

Yesterday in my 12x12 they talked about the 7th tradition. We have a few AA history buffs in this meeting and interesting to hear how these came together by trial and error.

Today I meet with my sponsor to go through steps 1-3. I'm really ready to start step 4. I am always reminded that in Bill W. days they went through the steps in a matter of a day or two.

Comment

SF: Yes, I've heard that too about keeping the steps brief. I too have heard/read about the beginnings of AA: turmoil & chaos. Shortly after my 1st anniv, my husb & I visited Bill W's home in VT. So interesting. Strangely, he died of emphysema & depressed in 1971. I brought my 1 year coin to put on his grave. There were lots of coins there, but right in the middle was a 41 year coin. I've since heard a guy speak who was over 50 years in AA. Amazing. M
                    October 3, 2012

Comment

Why are all our local meetings chair share and drunkalogs!?!

Starting my work tonight, feeling quite excited, last night I was too done in, today I have been to the gym and had a good day with the kids so ready to start

edit, make that tomorrow night, too damn tired to think now!!

Comment

As tiresome as the drunkalogs can be, they do serve a purpose. They remind me that I can NEVER romanticize or get complacent about my sobriety. My drinking was awful & involved feeling sick & guilty. I was throwing up, lying, & blacking out regularly. The more days that pass, the more I can forget all about that. Eventually, I could say to myself: "Hey, maybe I can have a drink now & then." When I hear about "the bad old days" that people have lived through, I hark back to my own & revow not to drink today. Mary
                        October 3, 2012

Comment

I hear that but id like there to be options for big book studies or anything other than drunkalogs.. especially for people about to start
                          keep putting off work tho. i must stop leaving it until10pm then being too tired

Comment

I could not agree more Mary. A great reminder in a meeting, makes that thought of a drink fade quickly.

Yesterday my sponsor really flaked out on me. And I just told her I had gotten a new sponsor. So at my 11:30a which is mostly men I asked if they knew of any good women that were willing to be a sponsor. I got a few numbers from them, but all the women lived quite far. So off I go to this women's meeting that I don't really like. One woman spoke and I really liked what she said. Usually at the end of the of this meeting they ask people if they are willing to be a sponsor....but, they forgot. So I just left. Today I woke up thinking...."why didn't I at least get her number?" So I headed out to a new meeting I had never been to tonight (while driving there I am in fantasy land about the drink)....I walk in....and there she sits....the only other woman in the meeting! I talked to her after the meeting and we realize we literally live in the same part of town (which this meeting is not/its kinda close to my work and starts at 5:30p). She agreed to be my sponsor....and I was just so relieved that I hugged her! I moved from the North of the USA...to the South....where hugging all the time is acceptable

And I absolutely fell in love with the meeting. Instead of doing the normal preamble....they had the funniest message....."you may walk out in a huff....but, we will always welcome you back"..."You will begin to speak about one thing....and end with a completely different topic".

Her and I are planning to meet up at meetings in our side of town...Sat and Monday.

If I had any lingering doubts about God....they have just been nailed shut.

Comment

I just spoke w/a guy on Sun. who questioned God w/his sponsor. The sponsor told him to write down all the coincidences that happened to him during the day. Then he told him that they are not coincidences but the hand of God. I think I'm going to start listing my coincidences instead of just taking them for granted. That woman sitting right there in that meeting wasn't a coincidence but the hand of God.
                              October 3, 2012

Comment

Hi everyone! I have talked to a bunch of you on other threads but I have never been on this one before. I am 11 days AF and have done it with the help of Antabuse. My Doctor also recommended that I go to a support group like AA. I have done some research an found some meetings in my area...actualy there ae like 5 different churches/community centers that have them and there is something going on every day of the week. I am totally new to this and saw that some meetings are open, closed, have speakers, open discussion, beginner, big Book and step programs. I am totally overwhelmed by all of this and I was hoping that someone could clarify this for me. I have no idea what the difference is on the meetings since they are all called different things.
                                AB Club Member
                                AB Start Date - 7/25/12

10 Months AF - 5/24/13 :yay:

:heart:I would rather be addicted to my horses than alcohol:heart:

Comment

Working...
                                X