• Time
  • Show
Clear All

June AA Thread

good for you reteacher
    marvelous what we see when we are sober

Comment

June AA Thread

WE: In addition to the physical aftermath of drinking, I ALWAYS experienced the regret & remorse. Yesterday when I woke up sober & not hungover, I had none of that. I got on w/my day which would have been a complete loss had I gotten drunk at that wedding. The gifts of sobriety are endless. Mary
      Wisdom, Courage, Strength
      October 3, 2012

Comment

June AA Thread

I almost think I am happier about never being hungover than not drinking in the first place! what misery...I have the worst hangovers...throwing up all day long and staying in bed until the last minute before anyone else came home...YUCKY!!!

glad to be sober, and way to go mary...that next day stuff makes it SO WORTH WHILE!!!

peace!
        10-06-2012

Comment

June AA Thread

yay for the gifts of sobriety indeed. nice to see you all. so good to make a meeting today after a week of travels. had a really good speaker which is always a joy. now to develop the willpower to resist the cookies!

xxx
          nosce te ipsum
          (Know Thyself)

Comment

June AA Thread

Deter: Have you ever tried meetings while on the road through the AA website? When we visit family in other parts of the country, I try to get to meetings. They're not exactly the same as my home meetings, but the soul of AA is there. It's actually quite refreshing!

This morning's meeting was from "Living Sober." It was the chapt on remembering our last drunk. As humiliating as it was, it's something I must do. Otherwise all that "stinkin' thinkin'" comes right back in: "maybe I wasn't so bad," or "maybe I don't need so many meetings" or "maybe I can have just one." Normal people do not drink the way I did.

M
            October 3, 2012

Comment

June AA Thread

so I find myself going to two meeting a week, and meeting with my sponsor to hang out (she joined my gym and I am sponsoring her for workouts lol)...seems just right. I read from "daily reflections" every night and also go to book study when we have it...anymore aa and I think I would go a little nutty. I have found my balance. I know if I need a meeting, I will go to one, and if I start to feel complacent (which I plan on never doing!) I WILL GET THINE ASS TO A MEETING as well.

you guys help me too, thanks for that!

peace
              10-06-2012

Comment

June AA Thread

Me too. I miss meetings once in a while, but because I'm retired, I can go almost daily. I do find it centers me. That said: I work at having a life outside of AA. I continue to take risks socially & otherwise.

M
                October 3, 2012

Comment

June AA Thread

Being fairly new to sobriety and restarting with AA, I am trying to go as often as possible.

However, requirements and family often interfere and require my attention.

I am trying to find a balance. I am an "all or nothing" kind of person and I realize I cannot be that way anymore.

I must prioritize and compromise. It is difficult for me.

Cindi
                  AF April 9, 2016

Comment

June AA Thread

cindi: In the very beginning of my joining AA & right after I had the relapse last year, I did 90/90. I did 90 meetings in 90 days. It was a worthwhile endeavor. I had to go to unfamiliar meetings & met plenty of new people. Also, it was important for me to tell the groups that I was coming back after a relapse. "Telling on myself" is an important part of my program, because I kept so much of myself & my drinking hidden. It isn't easy, but that's what "rigorous honesty" is about for me. Mary
                    October 3, 2012

Comment

June AA Thread

still af and feel good
                      sorry I haven't been to meetings this time
                      I must be one who slipped through the cracks never did get a sponsor or anything

Comment

June AA Thread

well witt, you can always start anew glad you are sober!

I think a lot of meetings are definitely important at first. I vowed to go to as many as I could until I finished my steps, and I did. I have two core group that I go to and a random one here or there just to keep things interesting

I like having a sponsor in that we are accountable to them and it makes me feel more secure knowing that there is a woman out there who knows me so well, and who has been there for me in my recovery. I am not an extrovert, so it is nice to have that person who "has what I want" and who is willing to give it to me freely. we learn from each other and I appreciate her so much, and visa versa. it's a neat thing...

anyway, life is coasting along, eh? I have been eating like an alcoholic today...everything and anything! weird! I let myself do that sometimes...after losing 45 lbs, I feel like I can indulge occasionally in a day of not writing every last morsel down!!! at least I worked out (with my sponsor, no less )

goodnight or morning or whatever it is where you are!

peace
                        10-06-2012

Comment

June AA Thread

witts: Betty Girl said is so, so well. I ditto everything she said about meetings, sponsor, etc. I absolutely must go to meetings to maintain my sobriety. I missed Wed. & Thurs. this week. I absolutely will go to a meeting tonight. I feel myself reacting to everything my husband says & does. That's very much a trigger for me.

Mary
                          October 3, 2012

Comment

June AA Thread

so far so good only had one bad day I don't even have the craving to have a drink (at the moment )
                            I know I could very easily let it slip and say I'll just have one but is all it would take to start again .....no thanks af for me
                            sorry I don't mean that to sound cocky because I know I could very easily let my guard done

Comment

June AA Thread

witts: I too do not have a craving. When I relapsed last year, I didn't have any cravings, I just "decided" I could have one. It's one of the most mysterious aspects of alcoholism: taking that first drink. As soon as I had that first drink, the obsession set in full-force. Keep going. You're doing great. Mary
                              October 3, 2012

Comment

June AA Thread

Mary,thanks your sharing. Your willingness to be open is extremely helpful to us all.
                                Love and Peace,
                                Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

Working...
                                X