July AA Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

July AA Thread

hi guys! good work deter! mary, I haven't had a problem not drinking, but i'm not very social and like you, drank at home alone, mostly...

witts end!!! good job! you are rockin!

cinders, wow...that is a binge! did your parents realize, or were you on your own?

well, I got some bad news, I have a stress fracture in my left hip. it has been bothering me for over two months, and of course, I thought it was just from all the activity I have been doing (walking, running, hiking, hauling water, working out, JUMPING ON A TRAMPOLINE FOR FU*K"S SAKE!!! etc...) so I kept trying to power through the pain. finally got to an orthopedist and he gave me an mri (which I thought was overkill), and sure enough, I have a large stress fracture on the calcar of my left femoral neck...ARGH!!!! I have to stay off it as much as possible, walk with a cane of I do walk, and the only exercise I can do is swimming or a gentle pedal on a stationary bike. BUT here's the thing, I have not had one momentary inkling of drinking! I have been swimming everyday (my tan looks ridiculous, I don't want to be "tan mom" but what are ya gonna do?), and looking at this as a atime of healing my body and working on upper body strength. it's not the end of the world after all, it will heal, thank goodness! everything is temporary and change is certain...
    the only thing I feel bad about is I can't walk my poor dogs! they are used to twice a day walks, and now they are lucky if they one an evening with my 15 year old. I have to admit I cried hard and for quite some time (and i'm not a crier), but it sure felt good to get it out, and move on. if I feel like crying, I will. I have gotten to a few meeting, which help, for sure! I totally understand about meetings being the saving grace. I need them sometimes, and the beauty is, they are always there!

all I know is that thanks goodness I am sober so I can be here 100% for my own healing and my husband's, and also for the stuff my daughter is going through in her life. I am so grateful!!!!

take care all!

peace
    10-06-2012

Comment

July AA Thread

Betty: You've got a pretty incredible attitude. I'm sure the program helps. Do what you have to get better. You're still young, but if you don't take care now, it'll eventually catch up later. Thank God you have AA & sobriety. M
      Wisdom, Courage, Strength
      October 3, 2012

Comment

July AA Thread

wow Betty! extra hugs coming your way xxxxxxxxxxxx

so glad you have no drinking inklings (love that)
        nosce te ipsum
        (Know Thyself)

Comment

July AA Thread

As soon as we got home from our trip, we went to a meeting. The speaker was a guy whose life went downhill pretty steeply. He didn't realize that alcohol was a factor (go figure). Anyhow, he was entertaining, & even though his story was different than mine, I loved sitting there & listening to his tale of recovery. Mary
          October 3, 2012

Comment

July AA Thread

ha! didn't know alcohol was the problem...gee, I can't relate to that at all!!! it's funny how just getting it out of my life with help and fellowship has totally turned my life around. I feel like I am living the life I was supposed to live before I got into drugs and alcohol...sometimes it just takes time ...42 years isn't THAT long, is it? harharhar!

thanks for the love peeps, just keep swimming, just keep swimming! what else are we gonna do, lay down and die? NO!

have a great one, one and all.

adios
            10-06-2012

Comment

July AA Thread

Hi Everyone: Last night's BB meeting was the chapter on family afterward. Yes, recovery from alcoholism can cause quite a stir in a family/marriage. During my drinking, I was AWOL. I wasn't an angry drunk...just absent. Now, my husb is dealing w/someone who has opinions, needs, wants, etc. Mostly, we work things out well...after all, this is a more honest relationship. But, I'm not the compliant, guilt-ridden person I once was. One guy spoke about the damage his alcoholism did in terms of his angry outbursts. Now, he's having to repair the damage by accepting & being very, very patient. It's all good, because going through life in a conscious & present manner helps us grow & mature. Mary
              October 3, 2012

Comment

July AA Thread

Today was our annual picnic for our weekend groups. It was sober fun w/a wonderful 2 speaker meeting at 3 PM. They couldn't have picked better speakers...superb...loads of very good sobriety. There have been some personality issues within these groups which is to be expected w/a group of alcoholics. However, some of the flock is returning, & I think some mending of fences is happening.

Nothing stays the same. People come & go from meetings. The important thing to remember is to maintain the principles of AA. Principles above personalities.

Mary
                October 3, 2012

Comment

July AA Thread

Hi everyone

I wanted to post this but at this point not on the main, highly active board.

As a lot of people know I used the Sinclair Method to solve my alcohol problem, this technique involves drinking whilst taking a medication to remove the cravings. It worked very well for me, saved my life however I've decided I'm at a point where I should, and can make the choice to be abstenant. I mostly don't drink and don't enjoy it when I do. I have zilch cravings bar the odd "oh I could just have a few wines" thought, and am only drinking 'because I can'. My last drink was sometime in the early morning, around 1.30/2am 22nd July. I've got through one weekend already, and am now on day 8 AF.

I think I'm going to be very pleased to be joining you, and taking this next step in my journey.

UKB
                  I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

July AA Thread

UKB: Many thanks for joining us here. We're an eclectic group...not all in AA...but our main goal is complete sobriety. Please do not hesitate to join in & comment or ask a question. Mary
                    October 3, 2012

Comment

July AA Thread

Hello,

I am rarely on this site, like I used to but I got on the crazy merry-go-round of drinking. I finally got in touch with an email meeting site, and low and behold I got in touch with some great people, and I have been AF for 31 days now. It's the longest in quite some time. I have a wonderful sponsor, and have been doing online meetings. I have managed a couple f2f meetings. I'm going to one tonight.

I know I have a long road ahead of me, but I feel like I'm in a good place.

Comment

July AA Thread

Phin: Many thanks for coming here. This thread is a nice follow-up to meetings, either on-line or f2f. I absolutely know that merry go round you spoke of. I got on it a year ago when I decided a drink now & then wouldn't hurt. Lo & behold, I was on that merry go round & finally got off by admitting I'm powerless over alcohol. AA is the only thing I've done that has worked for more than a month or 2. I haven't done on-line meetings but do really value my community meetings. I've gained a whole raft of friends in the AA fellowship. It's gratifying.

Mary
                        October 3, 2012

Comment

July AA Thread

This morning's meeting was on Tradition 7...being self-supporting. The discussion was interesting. I'm so grateful AA didn't become a big beaurocracy w/money problems etc. I'm most grateful when I go away somewhere & find AA wherever I go. It's always the same regardless. M
                          October 3, 2012

Comment

July AA Thread

This morning's meeting

Greetings all,
                            We used the Daily Reflection reading today for our topic. The good old Serenity Prayer. Sometimes I don't pay enough attention to its message. If I allow it, the prayer keeps me in the moment. A good place for an alcoholic like me.
                            Love and Peace,
                            Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

July AA Thread

cpn1004;1538490 wrote: Greetings all,
                              We used the Daily Reflection reading today for our topic. The good old Serenity Prayer. Sometimes I don't pay enough attention to its message. If I allow it, the prayer keeps me in the moment. A good place for an alcoholic like me.
                              I have the Serenity Prayer on my wall, I asked for a framed copy for Christmas one year - even though I wasn't an AAer at the time and I don't believe in a God as such, the words say an awful lot to me.
                              I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

July AA Thread

me too Mary. at least there is one place apparently devoid of corruption I can get to for a serene experience.

well, I'm kind of nervous and antsy. I heard today that my sponsor (whom I've been having a hard time trying to get ahold of) is having a 'hard time'. I don't know what that means, but I got a text from him saying he'll be at this Friday's meeting. just on the edge of my seat here. must accept that which I cannot change.... and hope for the best.

keep up the good work everyone
                                nosce te ipsum
                                (Know Thyself)

Comment

Working...
                                X