Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spring september week 1

morning all
    have 2 extra grandaughters here with the grandson 2 and half to 6 will have more later in the day for the night
    Might get them to help me pick up cow poo
    The tomatoes are being planted out this week -end
    checked on my watermelon plants only to find I had 5 but now only have 2
    I have carrots,beetroot,parsnip doing well garlic is looking good pumpkin,and cucumbers are poking there heads up

still have heaps to do better than doing the spring cleaning i was going to start

Lav with the apples i put some lemon juice on them so that they don't discolour

Comment

spring september week 1

Happy Saturday Morning, Witts, and Happy Friday Early Evening to Everyone Else,

Witts-wow, you have a house full, just like me. I have 4 kids with me...9,7,3 and 7 mths. Enjoy your time with your grandkids today. Your garden sounds heavenly. Do you do a lot of freezing/canning?

Dill-I am glad you and Mr. D. got a bit of a respite today, and hopefully the baby goes to bed early tonight. Are you enjoying Blame? I was up until 1:00 this morning, finishing it....getting ready to do a 2nd read. I have never read any of Barbara Kingsolver's books, but will Google her and learn more.:thanks:

Lav-I am glad the sunny FINALLY came out and you could enjoy Longwood Gardens.

Star-Uggghhhh....the workplace. It's a downer being around crabby people, and I am so glad you had today off to pamper yourself a bit. I read your post about how supportive your mom was of your dad when he made the decision to quit drinking. I can see why you miss her so much....she sounds like a peach. Kudos to your dad for maintaining his sobriety for 4 plus years. :-)

I have something I want to share this evening before I go work out. Last night at my sister's house, my niece's daughter tried to take a sip of my niece's Marguarita. My niece pulled it away, saying, "no, no, honey...you're too young," and continued to say, "we don't want you to get addicted. We have enough people with addictive behaviors in this family," WHILE LOOKING RIGHT AT ME.:upset: It really made me feel badly and I know there is some alcoholism on her mother's side of the family, but I do believe her mother (my EX SIL) told her almost 5 yrs. ago that my family staged an intervention.. So, I of course thought she was talking about me. She is aware of all my mom's sisters' alcoholism, though, and so maybe I was wrong? I didn't push her for an explanation, I just made this assumption. So, I told my sister what happened early this morning, and just said not to give it another thought...that my niece has an "edge" to her personality, just like her mother (too bad about that....I think her mother is a real b*tch). I KNOW that I was NEVER drunk around my nieces and nephews so her comment was based on heresay. So, I just asked my sister flat out if she worries about me, and fears I'll relapse because I did NOT go to rehab, never went to AA, never referred to myself as an alcoholic, etc., because every now and then, I get little "reminders" of my fast and furious career with AL....and I cringe every time. Fortunately, my sister said she never worries about me going back to that scary time and everyone in my family thinks I'm doing so well, and they are happy for me. I think the ONLY thing I can do is to continue my course in sobriety. My niece has certainly seen me sober in her visit with me this time. It just really irks me that people are so ignorant about addiction/problem drinking (or whatever you call it) and that all people know are the conventional methods of AA and rehab....and claiming they are the "most effective ways" to stop drinking, and a person is in denial if they don't go the treatment/AA route. I would welcome any opinions on this. I just think we here are proof that our methods are just as effective. Off my soapbox, and done with my rant now. Thanks for listening!

This place...this thread....this is where I can be me, and I am so grateful. I hope everyone is having a lovely AF night.

Comment

spring september week 1

Hey all.
        I had a nice day at Lomgwood with my girls

Rusty, I have two trains of thought re your post:
        1. People who have no knowledge on a subject really should keep their damn opinions to themselves.
        2. Next time you run into a situation like that, send them to this page of bore ass statistics produced by Harvard Mental Health on the efficacy of AA, CBT & other treatments.
        The Effectiveness of the Twelve-Step Treatment

I have little to no tolerance for ignorance

Have a good night all!
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

spring september week 1

Good morning to all...

Rusty, good to hear from you. Some people are mean just to be mean. Superior and arrogant, how could she say that and look and you? She feels badly about herself, so why not put someone else down, right? She will be humbled when her kids are teens, in my experience, so hopefully you will be around then. I read the article Lav linked us to and have to agree. Lots of people I know either cut down, quit totally, and just decide they want change. AA is not for everybody, or treatment. I think some are referred to those programs and they have had numerous run ins with the law, anotherwords are really acute. Whatever, you are doing well, some people are jerks, and I hope you always hold your head high. Growing older, I find we all have challenges. Period. I have been thinking lately about what is important, and realize it is having right relationship with ourselves, and others. Having enough is important, but after that, it does not matter. I actually called the person who went off on me and told them that they were clearly distressed and I should have recognized it, (even though this person attacked two of us) and that it was important to me that we have right relationship. She responded graciously and it is over. I, however, have peace. This after watching Oprah's interview with the month That Nich Hahn. He advocates peace and he is right. As long as you have peace with yourself, do the right thing, others behaviors are on them.

Have to go, may come back later.
          Formerly known as redhibiscus

Comment

spring september week 1

Good morning friends,

Sunny & 48 degrees here this morning ~ nice
            I hope this weather sticks around for a while.

Star, I have seen a lot about That Nich Hahn online lately.
            Funny thing is personal peace is all I have really ever wanted but it somehow has always been out of my reach. I always thought it had something to do with YB's chronic, personal unhappiness. I tend to soak up other people's moods
            I actually do feel more peaceful now but still kinda lonely too. I do not have another relationship in me, just can't get into that. So, making peace with what I have is what I need to do.

I think we (humans, dogs, cats, etc) respond better to positive reinforcement. The support we've all received & have given here is unique. No one can understand this concept but us. I've read about all the negativity in AA, I understand why it is not a good choice for many. Life can batter an individual enough, I see no sense in seeking more punishment. That is just my personal opinion.

Rusty, I hope you are having a good day

Greetings to everyone else!
            I'm going to play outside as much as possible today.

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

spring september week 1

Hi All,
              Rusty, :l I'm sorry your niece did that and made you feel uncomfortable. She was out of line. We on this thread are proud of you and your accomplishments. It's hard for others who don't have this problem to know hard difficult it can be. You have done an amazing job! I have not yet started listening to Blame. I am nearing the end of a Dean Koontz novel called Intensity. I like Dean Koontz but I have not particularly liked this novel. But once I start a book I feel compelled to finish it.

Star, I am so impressed with you extending the olive branch to that coworker and diffusing an uncomfortable situation. Kudos!:goodjob:

Lav, don't get too used to the cool weather. I just heard we are going to have 90+ degrees this coming week. YUCK!

Witts, I loved hearing about your spring plantings. We are at the other end of it here: Yesterday Mr. D was digging potatoes and pulling out what onions remained. We picked what looks to be the last of our tomatoes. I'll miss them! It's time to buy mums for the entry porch.

I bought a pressure cooker last week. I've never owned one before other than our pressure canner. I'm having fun experimenting with it. Today I did a chuck roast in it that was absolutly delicious!!! Yum! Have any of you ever tried cooking with a pressure cooker?

I would not have trusted myself to use one when I used to sip wine all thru dinner preparation, dinner, and cleanup....and on into the evening.....
              Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

spring september week 1

morning everyone
                dill i do have a pressure cooker but haven't really used it would love to
                rusty sorry about your niece .... don't worry about it like lav says there just ignorant and quiet thoughtless
                lav 48 degrees we would be cooking we have celcius here you must have farenheit
                star good for you
                its peaceful here at the moment and a warm sunny day here

Comment

spring september week 1

We most certainly do use the farenheit scale here in the US witts :H
                  After such a long scorching summer, this is such a relief.

So it's going to warm up again Dill - rats!!!!
                  I kind of expected it actually.....
                  I remember my Mom having fits with a pressure cooker when I was a kid so I have never bothered trying one. Good luck! I'm just as happy with my crock pot to be honest

Rusty, if you could read the nastygram my niece emailed me a week ago - you would be shocked. I actually sent it to my daughter-in-law (who has never met my niece). I wanted to hear her professional social worker thoughts on the email. Here is the first paragraph of her evaluation:
                  'I am quite appalled at her entitlement to be so verbally abusive, let alone to her aunt who helped care for her as a child. There is no call for that kind of speech--ever, to anyone.'
                  That gives you an idea of just how nasty the email was

My niece has kept herself hidden from her family since she was pregnant & married to an abusive asshole at the age of 19. She enlisted in the Air Force & has been away from all of us for the last 23years. She knows absolutely nothing about her family, nothing.

OK, day is done. Tomorrow should be week two I guess
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Working...
                  X