No announcement yet.

Ladies on a Mission: The Official Site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NS, good points about the interactions of the drugs. And the pharmacists should know all of that info. One thing I'm learning about the medical community is that they don't communicate well with each other. It's our job to be on top of everything including the meds that we've been prescribed. Hang in there Janey.

Happy 90 LC!!! And it's your lucky day because I'm a hugger!!!! So glad you've come outa the woodwork. :hug:

Last night, we got some really great news for son. He is being awarded a very nice scholarship. I'm so proud of him and his accomplishments. If basketball doesn't interfere, he'll go with my Dad to NYC to receive this at the end of February. What a special night that'll be.

LC, son's friend is going to play football for Georgetown. I had the chance to see Georgetown a few years ago, and it's amazingly beautiful. I'm kind of sad that the sports is coming to an end, but so excited about seeing the new opportunities for son. It was a great ride though.

LB, enjoy your Mardi Gras! And what a perfect way to party.

I posted this in the nest...

So Mom and Dad flew to Philly for an appt and will see the neurologist today. The clinic in Florida is just not the same. She'll be getting a feeding tube in a few weeks, and that should hopefully help her as she can't eat enough anymore and what she does eat, it's just a blended liquid of stuff. I know that I'm so much better sober handling all of this than I'd have been if I were drinking, and I'm grateful. Even though I'm not physically with my folks, I'm always there, face timing, talking with them, and doing it all with a clear head. I feel really responsible, a responsible adult that is. This is such a new concept for me, and at almost 51, I know I shouldn't be so proud of this as it should have happened years ago, but I'm grateful it's happening now. I won't let this important point in my life slip away for anything.

Have a good day all.
    Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

So sorry JVo, that is really hard. I am so lucky to have a healthy mom. My dad died 9 years ago after being on dialysis for 7 years and my in laws are both very sick. it is really hard. I know.
      Hang in there sweetie pie. So glad you are sober.

LilB, glad you are going to enjoy the Mardi Gras sober. What fun! I remember you worrying about it in past years. You are so strong in your sobriety now.

It is Thursday and I am going home for lunch to snuggle with my weenie...(meaning my dog). lol
      I am bored at work right now, hopefully it picks up.

Talk soon. SO grateful to be sober.
      Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
      "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Nar, did you see one of the Super Bowl ads was going to be a bunch of our weinies running in hot dog costumes?
        Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Feeling a bit insecure tonight. Mom and Dad are headed back to Florida tomorrow morning. Basically, they are maintaining her ability to function. She's going to wear a brace on one hand and arm as her hand is not working and it hurts, and they are concerned since her arm is not working, the rotator cuff may cause a problem. They also are fitting her for two different wheelchairs. One for about a few months from now and one for when she's more immobile. She'll get the feeding tube in probably within a few weeks and that should be good for her.

Tomorrow is son's senior night at basketball. Our last home game of the regular season. So we'll walk him down the court and I'm going to try not to cry.

Have to get this out. Guess I could use a journal or something, but why do that when I have such good listeners. Thanks.

Comment

Journaling can be helpful but it's nice to get feedback and understanding - plus you never know who might be helped by something you write!

You're having to adapt to such rapid changes for your mom. That must be really hard. And tomorrow night will be tough, too - but also joyful! It sounds like your family has really been part of and enjoyed your son's sports career. Have fun :hug:!

Comment

I'm grateful you share this with us J-vo.
              It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Somehow that just seems to fit here. All times are made better when we can be present.
              I've seen the preview for the weinee dog commercial. I watcg the Superbowl mkstly for the commercials. Budweiser is doing one against drunk driving. Not sure how I feel about that. It's a great message, but being done by Budweiser?
              No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Thanks NS and LB. Yes, it rapidness of this disease is scary. I feel as though I don't have time to wrap myself around the loss of abilities fast enough, and I'm also worried about Dad. He's physically fine, but the mental and emotional strain of the primary caregiver is so tough. I know how I feel after just one week. Emotionally, physically, and mentally drained, and deep down, I feel bad that I can't be there all the time and take the load off my Dad more. But there will be many people going to visit over the next few months. My uncle is there now, my mom's sister will be going, my other aunt, dad's sister is also visiting. Both my sister and I will be back in March. Still, I feel it's not enough. And yes, LB, it's the best of times and the worst of times. Exactly. I'm excited yet emotional about tonight's game. My sister and BIL will be there, my aunt and her boyfriend, and my othe BIL for senior night. I love my family.

I'm on MWO a lot when I'm feeling stressed, so I may be back. If not, have a good day.

Comment

JVo, I have seen that ad. It is hilarious! I love that kind of stuff.
                  I am glad you are checking in here when you are stressed. We are good listeners for sure. It is scary how fast your mom's disease has progressed. I can't imagine the strain it puts on you. The best of times and the worst of times- that is so true.

My FIlL is in the hospital with multiple issues going on. I will be surprised if he gets out. I don't think he has much time left so we are all on stand by. My hubby takes his mom to the hospital everyday and we all tak on Whats app. about what is going on. It is hard for the family. I don't feel the stress so much but I think it is hard on my FIL's kids (hubby and his brother and sister AND mom of course).

I am off to the market. Its FRIDAY!!! Yippee!
                  Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                  "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Have to get ready, but I need to post this before I do. I've been hearing that voice, the one that I've been shutting up for quite some time. It's not loud, but just in the background. I will shut the door on it along saying a few choice words Shut the F up and Slam. I don't drink.

I heard today we are going on strike in April. WTF. The district wants to decrease starting salaries by 10,000 and they want the folks like me to take a two year pay freeze among other things. It's not good as we've been trying to bargain in good faith and they aren't.

Guess just another thing to put in my backpack to carry around. It's getting heavy.

Ok. Here's to senior night. And thank God I don't drink anymore. I'd be a mess tomorrow morning and I just don't have the time for that.

Comment

Hi everyone! I seriously have been talking with hubs a lot more about dogs since joining this thread! We are thinking we want to move more rural eventually. Our place isn't really big enough for a dog and the three of us... No real yard etc, But that hasn't stopped our neighbors on one side of us. And I don't think they actually thought it through... As they never clean up the poos and now my back patio isn't much fun to hang out in because it smells of dog poop in this heat. Oh well! Things are still good on the AF front. Hubs just has a beer before he comes home... But this is getting very rare now too.. Like once every couple of weeks. So I'm not even presented with it at all really anymore. I love that. I don't think he is actually really doing it out of support as much as its making an exit out of his life too. He just doesn't want to be completely dry. I do though. (Well obviously!). I've started telling all of my friends that I don't drink and that feels great. No one cares. Most of my friends didn't really drink in the first place. But I like saying I don't drink out loud now and feel proud.
                      AF January 7, 2018

Comment

Hi, All:

J-Vo - I am so sorry about your mother what a scary and f'ed up thing to have to go through. I can't imagine going to get fitted for a wheel chair for when I'm MORE immobile in a few months. I am glad they have each other and that you have some support as well. xo

LB - a trip I took to Mardi Gras was one of the times I should have seen this all coming, but I was blissfully ignorant, merely lacking a stop button that others had. I would love to get back there and fully enjoy it without being half in the bottle at all times.

LC, good to see you.

I am tense tonight - not enough sleep this week and not enough exercise (like ZERO). I think I'll cozy up with a good book and maybe some ice cream if I can coax someone out of the house to get some for me...

Happy Friday night, everyone. Thanks for being here.

Pav

Comment

Home now after our holiday and haven't really caught up with everyone here. I have just had some ice-cream in solidarity with you Pav.
                          J-Vo - the education sector seems to always be under pressure - and its teachers and students that end up getting the worst of this. This is pretty much the case the world over. But you can squash that 'voice' - its a sneaky little bugger but only a voice and has no business bugging you at the moment.
                          Choices - you sound great and your confidence is showing. Hope you are enjoying the summer.
                          You sound good too Nar - despite the sad things with the FIL.
                          Hi there also to everyone else - LB, LC, Jane and others (sorry I haven't read back far enough).
                          Our holiday was mostly lovely - very hot, snorkeling every day with lots of coral and colorful fish - we could do this right on the beachfront of the holiday house we had hired. There were a few issues - arent there always when you are in a gorgeous spot and Mr GB was difficult quite a few times. My teenage daughter is far easier to travel with than him. We were sitting and relaxing with beautiful tropical sunsets - which was bit of a niggle at times for me - because for many years I lived in places like this and drinkies at sunset were part of the routine. But I soon reminded myself of how easy it was to drink too much and then wake up early with the sun streaming in, and the heat starting early in the day - now that was hangover hell. So very grateful I don't have to deal with that.

I watched an interesting documentary about binge vs moderate drinking and consuming the same units/week. Binge was worst but moderate (as in a little every day) was also not good.

Back to work this week although we have a public holiday here on Monday. Catch you all later!
                          Last edited by treetops; February 6, 2016, 01:43 AM.

Comment

Good morning,

Choices, you do sound really good. Happy for you!

TT, good to see you. I could envision your holiday and it sounds lovely. Very colorful!!! I guess those 'niggles' will come and then they will go. Memories come and go, so playing it to the end will always be an effective tool for those particular times.

One of my triggers, anxiety, is what made me think of alcohol yesterday. Just for a brief moment, but nothing that I would act on. I slammed the door quickly, because I won't let that ruin what I have now. It was an emotional night, walking my son down the court on his last home game of the season. So many things are coming to an end, but new adventures on the horizon.

Have a good Saturday all.

Comment

I'm doing a quick check in. TT that vacation sounds Lovely. Wish I could see it too.
                              NS the 3PS has really helped me in how I view those drinking thoughts. It's becoming easier to replace them with thoughts of gratitude that I don't have to experience those terrible hangovers. I never have to feel bad like that again.
                              Have a great unhung Sunday.
                              Narilly you are in my thoughts as your family goes through this difficult time.
                              No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Hello,

Hope everyone is well. Your holiday sounds lovely TT. We go through that kind of stuff on holiday in our relationship too. Moods just follow us into paradise I guess. My best friend from home called me today.. I haven't talked with her since April. I told her about my AF stint this time... And I could fill her in w the ugly details. Because I know she loves me and doesn't judge. She makes me laugh so hard. It's not that she made light of my situation at all.. But just helped me to laugh at myself. We shared a few messed up stories of our drinking days in the past.. Both of us knowing that these were part of our youth. She said she was proud of me and that felt good. We talked a ton about glamping aka glamour camping. I've known her since we were 7 years old and we spent most of the summer sleeping outside at my house or hers. I feel happy.
                                AF January 7, 2018

Comment

Working...
                                X