July Jewels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good morning...

Lav, good idea to play music and dance. He loves music. No mention of YB learning to can those veggies, huh? Sounds like your grandson tends to get a little moody. I think kids are born that way. My daughter was happy more often than not, my son was just crabby alot. No special reason needed. My grandson seems to take after his mother so far. My Dad is in bad shape, not able to have surgery due to high blood sugar, maybe today. What a mess. I am going to a conference to day rather than work so looking forward to that. Hope it is good. Have a good day.

Pauly, I feel your dread about kids moving back. There is always a chance my soon might have to, and I get it about needing time alone, and a break. But, I also get being there for your kids no matter what. I am that and you are too. Interesting that you describe grandson's dad as baby daddy from party days. If my daughter was with that guy, it would be trouble too. She is lucky to have you and your support, I agree about not staying with someone you fight with alot, life is so horrible with lots of conflict. Sending you strength and courage. AF you will manage all this so much better. Drinking now is just not fun. Period.

Cyn, hope your doggy is OK, be safe and get lots done. Looking forward to hearing more from you when you get time. Thanks for checking in.

Hello to Dill and Pap.

Comment

Hello Friends, still kind of stressed here with the child care duties and worries for my son. He is getting better tho, just not fast enough! It's hard on the kids, too, being out of their routines. But at least they are used to it here and this is like a second home to them.

Star, I understand how daunted you feel about your upcoming solo childcare stint. You just have to put your head in a completely different zone than what we are used to. Most of the time at this stage in our lives all we have to worry about is our selves and our spouse. It is a shock to the system to suddenly have a completely helpless human being under wing! Of course, it is well worth the effort. Is baby boy crawling or sitting yet? Is he mobile at all? Lav's right about switching out toys. That goes a long way. Good luck! Also I want to say how deeply saddened I am for your Dad. May your love and your siblings love bring him strength and peace.

Pauly, sounds like you might have Kel and Louie under roof. I agree that will be stressful for you. (speaking from experience here.) But if it is better for Louie then it will be worth it. How many people do you have under roof with you now? You are not an empty-nester yet, are you? You seem too young to be. Joining with Star in sending you strength!

Lav, love it that you fell back to uttering words you learned from your mother. I am often surpriesed by words that come out of my mouth; words of wisdom from former generations. I say them and hope that one day they will be carried forth into a new generation! Name calling is a nasty business. Remember: Sticks and stones may break my bones.... ? I know that didn't apply to your specific situation, but I was just reminded of it.

Cyn, you sound really busy. I hope you don't push yourself too hard. Don't let your boundaries slip too far out of line! I hope your doggie is ok but coughing blood does not sound good. Fingers crossed.

Keep calm and carry on everyone. AF is always best!
      Last edited by dill; July 9, 2015, 06:26 AM.
      Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Good morning friends!

Dark & gloomy here this morning. It's so humid outside that all of the windows are steamed up, ridiculous. We're on the lookout for strong storms this afternoon. I have a mid-morning dental cleaning then the boys return for the afternoon. Possibly my daughter & granddaughter too.

Star, so sorry your Dad is facing surgery at this point. If that's what he wants then all you can do is be supportive of his decision. I know it's tough :hug:
        Enjoy your conference day, nice change of pace.

Dill, I sure hope your son feels better soon. The grandkids are lucky to have you close by to help out. We have so many reasons to be grateful for our prolonged quits, right?

Pauly, my daughter was a serial 'move back home when things got tough' type before she got married. I thought it was easier to let her move back in than to worry about her 24/7. It's never easy having an extra adult in the house but it's doable. Just be sure to lay down some strict rules & regs beforehand. Providing Louie with a safe & loving environment is so important & something you can be proud of too! All the more reason to keep AL out of your life!

Cyn, sorry about your girl dog, hope she's OK. Take care of yourself too - never good to burn the candle at both ends, right?

Papmom, hello!!

Wishing everyone a good AF Thursday!

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hello friends, I guess Kell and her bf are ok again..... for now,I think she's scared to leave really, afraid of being alone, afraid of a custody battle, I never liked the guy,however when Louie came we had to bury the hatchet,I can only be around him for brief spells,he's loud,obnoxious, rude,bipolar personality, never know who you'll get,a chronic weed smoker,the list goes on,but I'm here if she needs me of course, she just need to grow a pair and figure out what she's doing,I took one of the kittens her cat had, hopefully it don't drive me nuts,I haven't had a cat in ages! Sounds like everyone is well,Snoop,so sorry about your situation with your dad,but you're handling it good not using it as an excuse to be all crazy,all of you are women Ilove bbeing in the company of I never asked but what are the ages of all your grand babies? Hope everyone enjoys the rest of the day
          I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
          Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Good morning...

Lots of great posts. Good to wake up to!

Dill, my grandson is a year old and walking now. He is a joy, just very active and having to be watched every second, which as you know is exhausting after a time. My son may come next week and help me, and I hope he does. I will ask my daughter to bring several toys so we have things to do. It is fun, just never had him on my own for so long. This will be the first trip out of town for the parents, so it is a big deal. So good to hear your son is getting better, and that you live close enough to help out. Thanks for the support re: my Dad.

Lav, it is going to rain here again too! My goodness, what a wet summer. There is flooding all over the place and alot of the crops are drowning. I hope August is hot and dry. Loved the conference yesterday, great speaker and another day yet to look forward to. It is a nice change and fun to learn. My Dad had to have surgery at this point or he would have died, that is how badly the medical care has hurt his body and entire system. I am not kidding, the medical care has literally ruined his health, which was good till he started treatment. It is just a nightmare. He is in intensive care right now, my brother flew down there last night. How he will cope on his own after this, we cannot figure out. Very sad.

Pauly, thanks for your support too. Your daughter's boyfriend sounds like an a## but the father of your grandson, so of course you did the right thing and made nice. That is why they are all in your life. Good call. So hard to see your kids live with someone who they fight with, I have been there and just had to wait it out, nothing else you can do. Staying AF is the best gift you can give yourself, don't you agree? Being hung over and sick would just not help at all at this point. I think more and more of the fleeting pleasure, about the first drink or two, then a living hell for days. Just not worth it. Please feel free to give me feedback if you want to.

Cyn and Pap, hello.

Have a good one.

Pauly,

Comment

Good morning friends, tis Friday

Big storm rolled thru here last evening but no damage visible. I did hear about a school being flattened in a county not too far from here, oh my.

Pauly, try to stay open to future possibilities for not only yourself but your daughter & Louie too! Kell just may outgrow her bf especially as Louie grows. He needs a stable environment to grow & thrive :hug:
              My grandson is 6, my granddaughter is 4 & my other grandson is 4 as well. They were born 5 weeks apart so it was almost like having twins, ha ha!!!

Star, I guess we are all pretty waterlogged at this point! The garden is growing well but so are the weeds & I haven't been able to keep up.
              I'm thinking of you & your Dad. So sorry about everything going on with him. Unfortunately, mainstream medicine in this country can be brutal. My Mom went through the same type of thing nearly 30 years ago. Nothing has really improved it seems. This is why I am so interested in alternative methods, especially nutrition & the use of herbs. I have always had a special interest in Bioethics as well. The modern Hippocratic oath encourages caring for the 'whole person', not just diseased parts. I hope your brother can lend some assistance now. Please keep us updated because we care :hug:

I'm actually going to Curves this morning, yay!
              My grandsons are not returning this afternoon but I think my granddaughter will be coming for a visit. Busy week for me!!

Greetings Dill, Cyn & Papmom. Have a great AF day everyone!

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Morning friends, well seems like we're all in the same boat as far as the grandkids ages,they're all still small and we get the opportunity to help raise them and watch them grow Snoop,I was terrified of watching Louie alone during that first year and a half, I hadn't been around a baby in 15 years!now that he's more of a "kid" we just hang out and its not as scary,just exhausting sometimes as you all know,Lav,I'm totally interested in alternative healthcare also,I tend to think that medical care is all about money and big pharma than actual care of the patient, who knows, slept in kinda and feel super groggy, hate that!gonna go to kohls and look for some shorts,I like the styles in the junior department but hate the too short,hip huggers!women have waists I thought pants were supposed to button there not an inch above the groin area? I'll take a peek and defo try before I buy,I swear I've bought so many clothes that I think will be ok,get home and the fit is horrendous, so I give it to Goodwill, dumb,or worse I hold on to it thinking I'll get in to it "someday" nah,I need something to wear now haha,hope everyone has a fun Friday

Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Good morning...

Up really early. Longing for community and a close by friend. I loved the conference yesterday, it was an interesting day. Ate lunch with a women whose husband is a pastor, and brought up the new marriage laws and how their church is handling it. Turns out she is confused in some ways, she had a great boss who was a lesbian and had a partner for ten years, but said the bible is against it. I pointed out that the bible is also against alot of things. She was kind of hypocritical, against LGBTQ, they have to remain celibate, then I brought up divorced, living together people, do they have to remain celibate. No answer. So, still the same old BS. It was interesting though. I don't understand why LGBTQ individuals are being targeted by the churches. So many other things to focus on in my opinion.

My Dad is out of intensive care, very weak, not sure the oncologist even knows he is having this surgery, so does that mean he knows about the lung issues? It is crazy and in my opinion, malpractice. But, it is what he wants to do as his life is slipping away, health gone, trying to live. We'll have to see. Lav, so sad your mom went through this horrible medical care, but historically, doctors did more harm then good too. I totally agree that diet and alternative medicines can be helpful in many situations and in general health. I know modern medicine has helped many, but when it comes to some things, not helpful or humane at all. My brother is finding things out as best he can, it is hard for him I am sure. One day at a time.

Lav, have fun with your family, no grandson this weekend, that is OK. The flu has been going around their home and I don't need that. I am making homemade soup in the crock pot for lunch, then having leftover night, lots of avocados, salad, tuna, and fruit. I have to get my hair done and want to clean and have time to focus on me. I have been journaling a bit and finding myself going deeper, which is interesting. I think having a parent on their final journey, probably, is resulting in lots of self-reflection. Did that happen to you?

Pauly, I always have to try on clothes. I saw a cute dress, tried it on and it was not cute on me. Yikes, right now no new clothes for me but it is really a good time to shop, end of summer clearance and all that. I had not cared for little ones for many years either, but just do exactly as my daughter tells me too. Most of the time. He is such a joy to me. Love him so much. It is a gift to be AF and there totally, emotionally and physically. I want to grow old gracefully, and an old drunk is not that. Gentleness and kindness are things I am focusing on right now. Good traits in a grandmother, don't you think? Have a good one.

Hello to Dill, Cyn, and Pap. Hope you are all doing well.

Comment

Good morning...

Up really early. Longing for community and a close by friend. I loved the conference yesterday, it was an interesting day. Ate lunch with a women whose husband is a pastor, and brought up the new marriage laws and how their church is handling it. Turns out she is confused in some ways, she had a great boss who was a lesbian and had a partner for ten years, but said the bible is against it. I pointed out that the bible is also against alot of things. She was kind of hypocritical, against LGBTQ, they have to remain celibate, then I brought up divorced, living together people, do they have to remain celibate. No answer. So, still the same old BS. It was interesting though. I don't understand why LGBTQ individuals are being targeted by the churches. So many other things to focus on in my opinion.

My Dad is out of intensive care, very weak, not sure the oncologist even knows he is having this surgery, so does that mean he knows about the lung issues? It is crazy and in my opinion, malpractice. But, it is what he wants to do as his life is slipping away, health gone, trying to live. We'll have to see. Lav, so sad your mom went through this horrible medical care, but historically, doctors did more harm then good too. I totally agree that diet and alternative medicines can be helpful in many situations and in general health. I know modern medicine has helped many, but when it comes to some things, not helpful or humane at all. My brother is finding things out as best he can, it is hard for him I am sure. One day at a time.

Lav, have fun with your family, no grandson this weekend, that is OK. The flu has been going around their home and I don't need that. I am making homemade soup in the crock pot for lunch, then having leftover night, lots of avocados, salad, tuna, and fruit. I have to get my hair done and want to clean and have time to focus on me. I have been journaling a bit and finding myself going deeper, which is interesting. I think having a parent on their final journey, probably, is resulting in lots of self-reflection. Did that happen to you?

Pauly, I always have to try on clothes. I saw a cute dress, tried it on and it was not cute on me. Yikes, right now no new clothes for me but it is really a good time to shop, end of summer clearance and all that. I had not cared for little ones for many years either, but just do exactly as my daughter tells me too. Most of the time. He is such a joy to me. Love him so much. It is a gift to be AF and there totally, emotionally and physically. I want to grow old gracefully, and an old drunk is not that. Gentleness and kindness are things I am focusing on right now. Good traits in a grandmother, don't you think? Have a good one.

Hello to Dill, Cyn, and Pap. Hope you are all doing well.

Comment

I slept in yesterday which meant that I had no morning time to myself so no time for internet. I did the same today. I don't have but a moment here while gdaughter is watching My Little Ponies. I think the kids will be going home later today, but if not, definitely tomorrow. They seem to be happy and enjoying their time here and of course we enjoy bing with them, but OH do I wish for some time alone!

Pauly, my grandkids are ages 9 (boy) and 4 (girl). I also have a 4 year old grandson who lives in New Orleans. It has been a gift to be able to be a part of their lives. When I was growing up all my grandparents were gone. I never had the pleasure of knowing them. Spaeking of Kohl's, I have a 30% off coupon if I use my Kohl's card in the next few days. I hope I get time to go!

Lav, did you have a nice visit with your granddaughter? You have definitely had a busy week! We have had nothing but clouds and rain here since forever. Our tomatoes are struggling. I had one yesterday and it seemed to me like it had almost no flavor at all. They need sun! So do I.

Star, I was shocked to realize it has been a whole year since your grandson was born! I still think of him as this tiny little baby! LOL! I thought babysitting was the hardest during the toddler years, when they are mobile but don't know danger. I am enjoying my granddaughter much more now. I think it became much easier around her 3rd birthday. Your grandson is so lucky to have a good mommy and gentle, kind grandmother.

Hello Cyn, hello Papmom. Hope you are both well.

Have a good weekend everyone!
                      Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Good morning grannies, ha ha!!!!

Yesterday was very nice - it was sunny with low humidity, yay! Hoping for a repeat today
                        It was a nice change to hang out with the girls yesterday after a week with the boys. I am truly grateful for this time with all of them.

Star, in a perfect world your Dad's medical team would keep each doc informed of changes & planned procedures. Someone had to give medical clearance before a surgeon could do anything, most likely it was not the oncologist. He was moved out of ICU so it sounds like he is stable. A lot of hospital systems now employ nurse navigators to help the patient & families move thru confusing times like this. Maybe your brother could check to see if someone like that is available to lend a hand.
                        There does seem to be a rash of summer colds going around right now. My daughter had something going on yesterday when she was here, ugh.
                        I have a hard time siding with any church's interpretation of the bible. I think each church group takes their stance then picks & chooses what fits their beliefs. That's why I have moved away from organized religions, I won't have anyone telling me what to think or believe. We each need to examine our own hearts & souls & act accordingly. We don't have to like what others choose to do with their lives. Do we have the right to try to stop them? I don't think so.

Dill, you have a My Little Pony fan in your family too!! Oh boy, I have even gotten ahold of some embroidery designs to decorate things for our fan, Hello Kitty designs too
                        Keeping up with the kids all day usually ensures a good night's sleep afterwards. I hope you son is feeling better.

Pauly, how are you today?
                        I have to tell you that I went to an Old Navy outlet store with my daughter when we were at the beach in May. I bought a bag full of cute looking tops & things that I just cannot wear. They looked good on the hangers but not on me, ha ha!! I will just hand them over to her if she wants them.

Greetings Cyn & Papmom!

Have a great AF Saturday everyone!

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Good morning...

Had a pretty good Saturday, cleaned, paid bills, went for a walk (it was a beatiful sunny day) and then hair appointment in the city. We ended up going out for dinner and walking around afterwards, so that was fun. Today, rain, rain, rain, again. It will have to be an inside Sunday.

Lav, both my brothers have asked for case managers, or some type of coordinator for care, but it has not happened. Part of the problem is that he lives so far away. It is so hard right now. Thanks for your support. It true, busy during the day, tend to sleep soundly at night. I agree with you about organized religion, but would like to have a community again. I just can't put up with the judgement, cruelty and hypocrisy, it is so severe. I just don't remember it being so intense when I was younger, but I may not have been aware of the negativity back then. Or maybe I choose to overlook it. I always had questions and was shamed regarding my questions, come to think of it. So, maybe this is nothing new. I am going to think about it a little bit more. I just refuse to write off the LGBTQ community, they are worthyy of love and life too. Why focus on that community,when there are so many real problems. It's a little early, I need more good strong coffee.

Dill, hope the grandkids can get back home and you can get a little R & R. Grandparents are wonderful, I had the best so want to be there for my little guy, too. My tomatoes need sunlight too. Another week of off and on rain, I am hoping for a dry August.

Hello to Pauly, Cyn, and Pap. Have a great Sunday.

Comment

Good morning friends!

Having a hard time getting in gear this morning, ha ha!!
                            No rush, I'll get there eventually.

Star, I find I am doing OK even though I think I prefer to be part of a community. Strange how that works!
                            I definitely feel part of a community here on MWO. My Curves membership puts me with another community as often as I can go there. Somewhere along the line things changed & I changed as well I suppose
                            I won't be part of a small minded bunch, that's just not right!

I went out & picked a bunch of green beans last evening, the rest of my beets, more cucumbers & zucchini. Guess I know what I'll be eating for the next few days. Still waiting on the tomatoes as well. Sunny today but I think rain is on the way this week, oh well.

Greetings Dill, Pauly, Cyn & Papmom.
                            Have a great AF Sunday everyone!

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Morning friends,I've been exposed to too many churches to have a solid relationship with any of them, just like Lav says its all different interpretation of the bible,I like the community aspect of a church, the way they help each other in need,but I don't like the judgment and gossip I've witnessed in various ones I've gone to,lazy Sunday,groceries done thank goodness (hate that job!) Going to take a drive to Boulder city for some lunch and just to get out of the house for a bit,hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday

Comment

Hello friends, it's the end of yet another day of grandkids. Today marked a full week of 24/7 care and I am tired. I was talking to a friend on the phone and she told me I sounded very tired. I guess I do! I can make it another day or so. We are having lots of quality time as well as quantity time so I feel good about that. We just got in from fishing down at our pond. Each gkid caught at least 3 little fish.

My son is getting better and should be resuming full activity tomorrow or Tuesday.

I am sorry for another short post. I'm thinking of you all and hope to get back on track soon.
                                Dill

Comment

Working...
                                X