Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sweet September

Morning all -

Star, so glad that you are feeling better -- but keep all of Lav's warnings in mind -- and do have your blood tests updated at some point - tick-burned diseases, etc can be very tricky and come back to haunt you. Have fun with the family today! I meant to say how sorry I am for your son's current issues; it's like the kid just can't get a break.

Lav, I felt the same guilt yesterday, such glorious weather. I haven't heard from our friends in Cuba, which it sounds like had a direct hit last night, oh dear. I am crossing fingers that they are OK. When will our administration wake up to the reality of climate change? Cuba hasn't seen a hurricane since 1925... they may not even have known how to prepare - their meteorologists told them it would miss the island...

Pauly, so sorry you are being dragged into the bf's troubles, but maybe it is a call for help in some way? He seems to trust you enough to be honest about what's going on. I hope today is OK at work and that it goes by quickly! Feel better soon - sorry about the cold, darn.

SK - what a sweet time you had at the fair! Thanks for describing it all - you are braver than I am, I don't do rides' ha.

Det - hope you have a good day --

Sorry to go on and on in yesterday's post about the storm so long ago... I meant to finish the story with how much gratitude I have everyday for running hot water and heat and a roof over our heads. I think Disaster Planning was on my mind because I'm giving a big presentation today at a Library. It's about decluttering and downsizing, but since September is 'disaster preparedness month', I will be talking about that too. Does anyone else follow the Wellness Mama site? That woman is amazing, and has great info. She has the best Go Bag suggestions I've seen, and also great links to other sites - I'm going to copy the FEMA contact list document and hand them out today - we don't always think about how we will contact family and friends if something happens, so that is a great resource. With the terrible fires in the west, the hurricanes coming in, the earthquakes caused by drilling, etc it seems like every part of the country is at risk for some potential evacuation. Better to be ready!

Well, off to prepare for this talk. wishing all well, and a good grateful AF Saturday.

Comment

Good evening friends,

I can't believe it was almost completely dark by 7:30 tonight. of course that means I have to get the chickens tucked in earlier & earlier, ha ha!
      Nice & cool here again today, so grateful for that
      We went to my favorite plant farm today & came home with half a dozen new plants to replace the overgrown, crappy looking shrubs we yanked out earlier this summer. That should make a definite improvement out front next year.

Star, so glad you are feeling perkier today! Have fun with the family this weekend but don't wear yourself out!

SK, you are a brave one to get on the rides. I haven't been on any since my kids were young. The last one I was on made me seriously sick
      Spending time with the grandkids is the best feeling in the world. Your granddaughter sounds like mine, happy & bubbly!!!
      I have the same issues with my phone because I never turn it off either. I am trying to remember to do that every couple of days now since we no longer have a land line.

Pauly, is there any way you could possibly steer the BF into AA? He probably would benefit from some sort of group support like that. He probably is scared of the unknown, most of us are, it's the human condition.
      I hope your day at work wasn't too harsh!

Cyn, I always feel better when I have thoughtfully prepared for an event ~ even a hurricane!!
      I think our backgrounds in scouting & emergency response have served us well, ha ha! If you could see the firewood YB has piled up outside you would think we were prepared for Armageddon. The natural & man-made disasters seem to be coming more frequently, what can we do? I dream of a future with a progressive thinking administration in Washington that will help keep us all from going to hell in a hand basket.
      I hope your talk went well today!

Have a nice night everyone!

av
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Oh for goodness sake - here is yesterday's post! Obviously something (someone interrupted me, and I never pressed 'send'. All OK here, but hoping to hear from friends in Cuba and family in FL. This seems like a horror film that Hollywood invented... I'm afraid that we are now living in a future that we dared not even imagine a few years ago - I am heartsick for all the human suffering, that will go on and on now for years. Off to make donations ---
        May we be well ---

Morning all -

Star, so glad that you are feeling better -- but keep all of Lav's warnings in mind -- and do have your blood tests updated at some point - tick-burned diseases, etc can be very tricky and come back to haunt you. Have fun with the family today! I meant to say how sorry I am for your son's current issues; it's like the kid just can't get a break.

Lav, I felt the same guilt yesterday, such glorious weather. I haven't heard from our friends in Cuba, which it sounds like had a direct hit last night, oh dear. I am crossing fingers that they are OK. When will our administration wake up to the reality of climate change? Cuba hasn't seen a hurricane since 1925... they may not even have known how to prepare - their meteorologists told them it would miss the island...

Pauly, so sorry you are being dragged into the bf's troubles, but maybe it is a call for help in some way? He seems to trust you enough to be honest about what's going on. I hope today is OK at work and that it goes by quickly! Feel better soon - sorry about the cold, darn.

SK - what a sweet time you had at the fair! Thanks for describing it all - you are braver than I am, I don't do rides' ha.

Det - hope you have a good day --

Sorry to go on and on in yesterday's post about the storm so long ago... I meant to finish the story with how much gratitude I have everyday for running hot water and heat and a roof over our heads. I think Disaster Planning was on my mind because I'm giving a big presentation today at a Library. It's about decluttering and downsizing, but since September is 'disaster preparedness month', I will be talking about that too. Does anyone else follow the Wellness Mama site? That woman is amazing, and has great info. She has the best Go Bag suggestions I've seen, and also great links to other sites - I'm going to copy the FEMA contact list document and hand them out today - we don't always think about how we will contact family and friends if something happens, so that is a great resource. With the terrible fires in the west, the hurricanes coming in, the earthquakes caused by drilling, etc it seems like every part of the country is at risk for some potential evacuation. Better to be ready!

Well, off to prepare for this talk. wishing all well, and a good grateful AF Saturday.

Comment

Morning friends,oops double post Cyn haha Star hope you're continuing to improve, bet you had a fun overnight with family Lav, oh no if I suggested AA he'd laugh in my face,,he's still young and no where near wanting to quit drinking, same with Michelle,, she actually came here yesterday cuz she's mad her bf wants her to quit drinking and smoking weed everyday! I try and talk to her but its a brick wall and I know there's no getting through cuz I was the same way for years,the poor kids used to write me letters begging me to quit drinking, I never even attempted back then,thought it was my business not theirs and I was just having fun, my goodness I can't believe what an asshole I was! At least I'm here now trying to stay sober,I just feel sad I didn't at least try sooner,,hoping everyone has a Happy AF Sunday
          I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
          Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Good morning...

Whew, what a whirlwind visit. It all worked out, the chili and garlic bread sticks were a hit, we were busy till about noon today. I was able to spend time with my youngest grandson this time, he is almost four months old and is so sweet, but alot of work. Eat, change, play, sleep, and on and on. We were up at 3 am, 6 am, it is fun but glad I had mine when I was young. Now we are going to watch football and relax.

Lav, this cool weather is such a blessing, I am enjoying it too. Thanks for the reminder to plant, I want to do that next weekend.

Cyn, great that you get to give a talk and help people with all kinds of situations. I believe in climate change and feel concerned re all the stuff going on all over the US too.

Pauly, true that the grandkids keep you centered. I just kept talking to my kids about drinking and they both seem to be cautious about their intake, not wanting to feel like crap the next day or get arrested. Hope Kell's BF at least cuts down, he is aware that he is hurting himself so that is a start. I feel badly about my drinking too, but can't change the past, only the now.

Hello to Skendall and Det, have a great AF Sunday to everyone.

Comment

Good evening everyone,

I can't take my eyes off of the TV today - this storm is absolutely epic
              I'm feeling anxiety related to my friends being down there with no plans to evacuate. I haven't heard from them today, I hope they are OK.

Beautiful weather again today, such a blessing. I made vegan navy bean soup in my crockpot which was pretty good. With no meat for the usual background flavoring I sautéed the onion, garlic & carrots in a little olive oil before adding it to the crockpot, glad I did

Star, glad you had a good visit with your family! Fast visits can be good, ha ha! The little ones change so quickly, almost daily it seems.

Pauly, at the very least maybe you could talk to your daughter about not being an enabler with the BF's drinking. I never asked anyone to go make a purchase for me because I knew what the answer would be. If he is late for work, etc. then it needs to be all his fault, that sort of thing. She needs to keep her focus on herself, the new baby & Louie, right?
              I'll bet all of us can think back to being assholes when we were drinking, that's what poison does to a person. I don't ever want any part of that again, never.

Cyn, I hope your friends in Cuba are OK, I hope my friends are OK too. I heard earlier today that the people in Cuba were not even warned that a hurricane was on the way. I don't know if that's true or not, I hope not.
              Looks like we will be spared any real bad weather effects this time, I am grateful.
              My dog Matilda is always on watch for 'creatures' near the chicken house. She will spend hours just sitting & staring, waiting.....
              Today a large ground hog crawled out from underneath the chicken house & I thought, uh oh, what's going to happen? She did nothing....absolutely nothing because (I think) the ground hog was at least half her size!!!! HA HA. I stood & watched them both motionless for about 10 minutes then I made my move & the ground hog went back into hiding

So...that's what I did today!!!!

Have a nice night everyone!

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Good morning...

Ooh, it's 9/11 and my memories of that day are filled with horror and fear. Won't be watching too much news today.

Lav, the hurricane is terrible, I also have to limit my TV watching with that or will end up a wreck. I talked to a family member yesterday who has a brother own there who did not evacuate, she is very worried. What the heck is with people? I don't know, hate to judge as I think I would leave but who knows. Sounds like you had another peaceful day, that is OK. The people we hired to stain our fence finished up yesterday and it looks good. Now for this weeks project, flooring installed at my son's condo. He may spend the night at our house till it is done as his house will be more of a mess than usual. haha.

Hello to Pauly, Cyn, Skendall and Det, have a good one. I am doing the usual today, exercise and housework, trying out a new recipe too.

Comment

Morning friends,ugh Star I forgot it was 9/11 that was the scariest day ever! I remember keeping the girls home from school cuz I just didn't know what was going on, I remember I was doing some exercise and listening to Howard Stern and they were all sad so I turned on the news,,holy smokes it was unreal,my mom's husband at the time was taking a nap and woke up and asked her what movie she was watching, she had to tell him it's real,this is happening! Awful day,Michelle had spent the weekend here cuz she was having a spat with her bf cuz he wants her to stop drinking and smoking weed,I try talking some sense into her but she's a wall,,such a beautiful, tiny little thing with an attitude the size of Shaq! She,stayed over again last night but had to wake up super early to catch the bus for the job she's doing on the other side of town,so I slept restless worried about her being at bus stops at those horrible hours, grrr,went to a craft show yesterday, paid $5 for parking,$25 to get in and Kell wanted to leave only 10 minutes into it cuz it was too crowded,what a turd! I bought some chocolate, a little flower pot,I wanted to buy some of these beautiful earrings but she was rushing me so I couldn't look,also I love,love,love handmade soaps,she wouldn't let me smell hardly any so I ended up empty handed I'd have rather gone with hubs tbh! Lav,that's cute Matilda was in a war with a big ground hog haha,waves to Cyn,SK,Det, hoping for a peaceful AF Monday for us all

Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Good evening friends,

Yep, we were blessed with another sunny & cool day.
                    I did hear from my friends in FL & they are OK - phew! I think I was more worried about them than they were about themselves, ha ha!
                    I had signed up for a webinar with Dr Josh Axe today re Leaky Gut. Got about half way thru it & my son walked in the door with a brand new puppy so that ended the webinar
                    A 7 week old Chocolate Lab with the green-ist eyes you ever seen, seriously cute!!!

Star, glad the fence job turned out well. Now flooring is something I am starting to think about myself. I have hardwood floors thru out except for the bedrooms where I originally chose wall to wall carpeting. now 14 years later that carpeting is looking kind of tired, hmm. What are you putting in the condo?
                    The only exercise I got all day was trimming a few butterfly bushes around my deck, oh well.

Pauly, I am a lover of craft shows too. You can always find unique gifts to stash away for Christmas too. My daughter was into making soaps for a while, I still have some of her equipment here I think. Maybe I'll look into doing some of that, who knows? It's a good excuse to play with nice essential oils anyway
                    Sorry your daughters are leaving you a bit uneasy. Please don't let them toss you off track, OK? :hug:

Cyn, I hope you had a fantastic day!

Not much else going on with me. Have a nice night everyone & say a prayer for the victims of 9/11 & the victims of Irma.

Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Evening all -

Did I not post yesterday? I swear that the days seem to be blending one into another and I can't figure out where the time is going...

Sounds like things are OK with our tribe here -- Pauly, we all have nightmares to remember from this bad old days. Like Lav, the only thing I try to think about now is not going back there, EVER again. Star, glad you had good family time, and sorry you are feeling the effects of all this weather and other stres, take care. Lav, that story about the groundhog is too funny - 10 minutes?! And your son now has a chocolate lab puppy on top of the insanity twins? Wow...

I am spending a lot of time cooking the 10 ingredients that I can have (OK, that's a slight exaggeration) and trying to combine them in interesting ways. Mostly I just give up and throw something together and eat it, sigh. We did go out to dinner last night with friends, and I did find something I could have, thank goodness.

I have not heard from our Cuban friends... the few pics that came out of there look very dire, and my friends live in Havana. There is no power there, so I am trying not to worry, and to trust that they will let us know how they are soon. They did say that they were preparing, but originally no one thought the hurricane would go so far west, or stay there so long, so I don't know what they were prepared for. This day has such sad references in our minds, I am trying to stay positive.

Take care everyone ---- sending lots of light.

Comment

Cyn,I hope you hear from your friends soon,love the new fb pic

Comment

Good morning...

Pauly, sometimes our visits with our family just don't turn out well. I was thinking of my Labor Day boat disaster visit. The next one was fine. Sorry the Art Show with your daughter ended too soon. It happens, darn. Too bad Michelle doesn't want to quit partying, darn it. Just doing what you can, being there and supportive. Our Mom jobs never end.

Lav, another dog? Whew, sounds like me when I was young, I had two or three dogs, my house was a zoo. But it is fun if you have the energy and desire for lots of pets. I got through a tough exercise class yesterday, feeling stronger and stronger every day. Today exercise, going out with former coworkers for lunch (hope it does not upset me) and then picking up my grandson for an overnight. I will be very busy today and tomorrow, that is good. I accomplished alot yesterday after the weekend visit, my house was a mess and I had lots of towels. Are you going to get some rain from Irma? We are supposed to tonight and all into Wednesday and Thursday, so we'll see.

Cyn, I made a new recipe and it was disgusting, tasteless and blah. Quinoa stuffed Acorn Squash. Yuck. Tonight an old favorite, Vegan Lasagna, with salad and bread, my son is coming over, grandson and husband, so they love that meal. I made a really good vegan Mushroom Soup, no sour cream this time, used an immersion blender for thickness. The seasoning was thyme and paprika, very tasty, it will be better today. What are your ten ingredients, I am dying to know. Made it through the anniversary of 9/11 ok, hope you did too. Nice to go out to dinner with friends, takes your mind off things for a time.

Do you have suggestions on where to donate for the hurricane disasters? I am looking but not sure. Let me know.

Have a great AF Tuesday.

Comment

Morning friends,Star I can't even look at quinoa anymore after I ate it daily for a few weeks last summer,bleh,that texture really got to me,sorry your recipe turned out yucky..Kell had to go pock up Michelle last night at 10:30 cuz they got into a fight again and I guess her boyfriend told her to"just go kill yourself"! Not a good thing to say to her,because of what happened with Jon but also she's been sort of prone to that thinking in the past,I don't even know what to do and the thing is she'll probably end right back up with him! I'll just try to keep calm through it and try to be there for her,Lav what did they name the puppy? Cyn I'm curious about the ten ingredients too haha,what did you order when you went to dinner with your friends? Details wishing us all a peaceful pleez AF Tuesday

Comment

Morning all -

I'm going back to morning posting; if I don't do it in the morning, I seem to careen through the rest of the day and might forget at night.

Pauly, I meant to say so sorry for the Craft fair experience - it really is no fun when you can't take time and enjoy just walking and looking. You deserve those earrings! I hope you find some that you like somewhere. I keep reading about making soap, and I would like to, but I just never get around to getting all the stuff. Good luck with the kids - I know it must be a worry, but Lav's right, we always have to "put our own oxygen mask on first" right? Sending you strength.

Star, sorry about the bad recipe,hat is always kind of irritating when that happens. Have a great day with your son and grandson - you food sounds yummy!

Lav, wishing you a sunny happy day, are you getting rain?

Re: my health. One test I had showed a bacterial overgrowth in a section of my gut - it's a specific condition - and there is a diet that is supposed to help. I changed to this diet, and it does seem to help, though my weight is slipping again, hmmm, what's a person supposed to do? The diet is basically Paleo, no grains at all, and only specific veggies, having to do with their content. Carrots OK, Asparagus not OK, stuff like that. It is supposed to starve the bacteria from the food that they love to eat. I'm starting with what's called the FODMAPS protocol, then will move onto the GAPS diet - the same protocols for people with IBS and those conditions. Hopefully this will not be long term, but just a healing regimen for now.

Onward!!! May we all be well, and send light and strength to those who are suffering...

Comment

X-post, Pauly --- oh my gosh, what trauma going on --- I'm sure you are worried -- sending you a big hug, take care of yourself ...

Star, I'm not sure where the best donations should go -- I think Red Cross is the best on the ground there now, I'll try to check it out ---

Comment

Working...
                                X