Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sweet September

Morning all -

Paula and Star, I hope you are well, I will try to check in later and see how you are doing.

Lav, that might be nice to have relatives in the area, especially if you don't have to babysit. Sounds like you have a good plan for your furniture and will enjoy that. Leather is pretty forgiving even for grandkids. BTW, how is the wife of your nephew, the one that has MS? I sometimes think about her... (and PS I totally get the moments when we have a big heart-tug for our dogs, and you must really miss the physical presence of Maxie. (Hugs))

Well, I managed the drive home from NYC. Thank goodness I switched plans from our original, when I would have been driving back on Monday morning... it was better to deal just with weekend drivers. I was tired and achey by the time I got in the car to drive back, but I managed -- with a little help from caffeine. I've been relying too much on that, I'm going to try to stop, it really disturbs my sleep at night. Off for another crazy morning, then back on the train for an overnight in the city, uuugh. This will be the new norm, and while it's a good plan so I can see HB, it really cuts down on the time to accomplish weekend chores at home... and the autumn cleanup and changeover is coming. Ah well! I'll figure something out. At least I have enforced quiet time on the train to read or knit!

Wishing all a sweet AF Sunday ---

Comment

Good morning all...

Pauly, I read that you are sick, so get better soon.

Cyn, you are so busy I can't imagine, but you make it fun.

Lav, your new furniture sounds lovely. Did you order it online, without trying it out? I always have to sit on furniture, see how it feels. The same with clothes, I have to try them on, make sure they look and feel comfortable. It will be nice to have family close, set your boundaries right away and it will be OK. We are having gorgeous weather, sunny and low 80s, I was outside last night for a while, and it loved it. I spent yesterday at my son's, helping him put his house back together and it looks great. It took all day but was worth it. So glad I could be there for him.

Today we are putzing around the house, exercising and a little yard work. Have a good one.

Comment

Morning friends,hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday
        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Greetings friends!

Still warm & muggy here. I hope, somehow it will be cool & dry Friday for the first day of Fall. Ha ha, that would take a feat of real magic

Cyn, you are the trooper, no kidding! Try like crazy to work in some quiet time for yourself. It's never good to be on duty 24/7 especially when you've reached the fabulous age of 'whatever', Lol
          My nephew's wife with the MS is doing her best but she continues to lose function little by little. I'm afraid that's the nature of the beast. I've given up trying to share new info & research with her, she kind of blows it off & that's OK, she must be pretty scared. Everyone handles these things in their own way & I don't need to be pushy with her.

Pauly, I hope you are on the mend girl. Don't forget your probiotics

Star, nice that you were able to get your son's place in order. I'm sure he must be appreciative.
          The niece who is moving nearby is actually YB's niece & she hasn't been what you call 'family friendly' for quite a few years. I honestly don't know what it is with these 20 somethings - they all seem to be seriously entitled & have a damn attitude. I would have no problem telling her 'NO' if she ever approached me about babysitting.

I wasn't too interested in doing house work today so I went outside & dug in some new plants & trimmed my re-blooming lilac. I made a pot of marinara & baked up a sheet pan full of turkey meatballs so I'll have something to feed people if/when they show up. Grateful for a lot of freezer space

Have a nice night everyone!

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Good morning...

It's Monday and no special plans today. Exercise and housework, maybe a trip to the library.

Lav, the marinara sounds good, really hot yesterday, rain today, I hope, it can cool off.

Pauly, hope you are feeling better.

Cyn, are you home yet? Hope your weekend went well.

Have a good one.

Comment

Good evening friends!

Tracking two more hurricanes & it looks like Maria has just been upgraded to a Cat 5
              Puerto Rico is going to get hit hard I'm afraid.

Star, I'm not even sure what I did all day but I managed to stay busy. Oh, I did get my hair cut.
              Stlll super humid here & I think it's going to stay that way until all these storms are done.

Cyn, we are expecting some rain & wind tomorrow thanks to Jose? Will you be getting it too?

Pauly, I didn't realize why you were sick until I read your thread last night.
              I know you have a ton of emotional pain right now & it's been piling on for quite a while. I am truly sorry & I have every faith that you will come thru all this.
              You know, we all know that drinking is not going to change what has happened. Reaching for beer is not going to help you resolve any of this pain.
              I know you want an AF life. I know you have a wonderful grandson who loves you & needs you. Be there for him. Stop drinking now for Louie & eventually for yourself & everyone else. You need to be sober to be a better grandmom, a healthy & happy & safe grandmom :hug:

Have a nice night everyone.
              Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Good morning...

Pauly, so sorry to hear you are not in a good place. We are here for you, please reach out. As you know (as we all know) drinking makes everything so much worse. Thinking of you and sending you strength.

Lav, I had a tough day yesterday, kind of lonely and questioning my life, I need more to do. Not sure what to do, I will not go back to my old career track. Rainy here today, so not sure if my family is coming to visit. We'll see.

Cyn, hope you are doing well.

Have a good one.

Comment

Morning friends-

Thanks for your patience with me! This new schedule for our lives has been hard for me to implement so far... we'll see how it works going forward.

Pauly, keep in touch, we are your support. Sending you light to light up the path.

Star, what a great thing you did for your son -- I'm sure he is grateful. Good luck with finding your volunteer niche , sounds like you are getting ready to make that move. Probably will be nice to have something in place before the darkness hits - I notice that the dusk brings on a little sadness... I've decided that it should be my 'cooking time' since at this point I have to generate every morsel that I eat.

Lav, it looks like we'll just get rain here, the coastal areas are getting hit harder. I vote for a cool and dry Friday! I don't know when I'll get to the garden/land projects... I have a pile of wood chips that have been there since July - I guess I ought to get that mountain worked down, if nothing else. It's right where they pile up the snow in the winter! RE: kids with attitudes, even in the mid-90s when I stopped teaching college, I sensed a shift in the kids - self-important, and 'dare me' kind of attitude was really prevalent... now with the addition of mobile devices, it's like no info is real unless it comes from something you have to charge. It saddens me now to be on the commuter train and see next to no one without their device in hand... I think we are forgetting how to see other humans....

Ah well, cheery me today! Ha. I'm cranky because yesterday I missed my morning train home by about 5 seconds, and that added 3 hours and 2 train transfers to my commute, grrrr. Then I had to dive right into the stuff I was supposed to have done, sigh. Thank goodness for my blessed neighbor who came over and gave boy dog some attention and food so I wouldn't have to worry. (The dog sitter is a teacher, so once she's gone from the house, there's no returning)

So, onward now to get a big project done and off, and go down the list. (PS, Lav tell me how you trim your lilac -- mine needs real attention!).

Stay dry in the rain today, stay safe and AF all!

Comment

Good evening friends,

We had some light rain & sunshine at the same time this afternoon so we ended up with a rainbow.
                    These unexpected little things can brighten up your day.

Star, I go through moments where I start to question my existence. Am I doing enough to help humanity, help animals, the earth? Then I stop the questioning & ask myself if I am relatively happy & the answer is yes. I did nearly 30 years in nursing & am done with that. I have spent the last decade & a half (almost) providing custom embroidery to some big customers & many individuals & am almost done with that. All I want at this point is peace, comfort & whatever stability I can manage.
                    I know you still want to feel involved & contributing to mankind. You'll find something that fits your needs, I know you will.

Cyn, sorry about your extra long commute yesterday. That would honestly make me crazy, you are a rock!
                    Good thing your neighbor is available to help out with the canine needs
                    I ran across an article today that said teenagers are delaying stepping in adulthood in a big way! They are not learning to drive or dating or attempting to drink like we all did as kids. Geez, that makes me grateful that my own kids did the growing up thing on time - no delays, ha ha!!
                    The lilac I trimmed is one I planted just a few years ago. It's a type that is only supposed to grow to 4-5 feet & it re-blooms which is pretty cool. I just whacked it with hand clippers into a roundish shape & made it 4 feet tall again, nothing special. We have a giant lilac on one side of the chicken house that is as tall as the roof. I send YB up a ladder with a saw to trim that puppy every once in a while. Too big for me to handle, for sure.

Pauly, we are here & awaiting your return. You know we love you & support you so come on back soon.

Have a nice night everyone.
                    Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Morning all -

Am I the first in? That's a change... is anyone else having trouble getting to the specific threads in Momthly Abs? I press 'monthly' and it just returns me over and over again to that same directory page. Usually one of you has posted, so I get here through the right hand recent posts panel. Today I had to go to Lav's recent posts and get here that way... what a pain!

Nothing much to report here - like you, Lav, it turned out to be a nice day here yesterday. Was supposed to rain overnight, but so far nothing. I guess it's the coast that is in danger of winds and rain. Yesterday I got 2 huge projects 'done and dusted' as our friend used to say. That was a relief, now on to the rest of the list. I am going to make a bigger effort to mix in more walking or cycling into my daily routine. I was watching an anti-cancer video (part of a series by Chris Wark (name?). He did a great job of explaining the 'why' of exercise, and how it promotes health through the lymphatic system, pushing out the metabolic waste that collects in the tissues. And sleep - how vital that is. So last night I covered over the glaring clock radio light and closed the door, and had 9 hours of decent sleep! Hopefully that will give me more energy. I do a ton of steps at the house, since it's on three levels, but I could walk more - that year when I was training for my walk in Cornwall was one of the happiest times... that should be a clue!

Wishing all well and happy today -- Star, hope you enjoy your beneficial exercise and find some new chapters to look at, Lav, hope you have a great rest/task balance, Pauly, hope that you come back soon to start the walk with us together .

Take care all -

Comment

Morning friends,I'm ok now,I think I just let pressure and stress get to me,plus when you let al in after awhile it becomes harder to look the other way when it calls again! Hubs even commented on how well I was doing but now I've been going back to it more frequently all it does is make me sick and crazy not sure what the appeal is,anyways,hi Cyn,Lav and Star hope we all have a nice AF Wednesday
                        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Greetings friends,

Pauly, so glad to see you back
                          Drinking makes all of us crazy, there's no disputing that! Keeping AL out of our lives is mandatory & the only way I can accomplish that is by regulating my thinking.
                          I have said many times before that the trick for me was/is distraction! The milli-second AL makes a noise in your head STOP whatever you are doing & do something completely different. Sounds like a dumb thing but it's just enough to get your thoughts on a different track

Cyn, I see a lot of people complain about having trouble navigating the site, right now I am not. It seems to be sporadic.
                          I know the story about Chris Wark. The medical community is skeptical about his claim that he cured his cancer holistically. I don't know what to think but the guy is alive 7 well & has a huge following. Any amount of exercise is going to be beneficial to us physically, emotionally & even spiritually. How can it not?
                          I've been unhappy since losing my Curves outlet & am just not willing to go join some goofy gym. Walking & as much yardwork as is humanly possible is a good start for us - right?

Star, I hope you are OK & had a good day.

Still warm & humid enough here to keep the AC on but it also helps my allergies.
                          We have the funeral of an old school friend's father to go to Friday morning. There's not many of the parents left of our old friends but he lived to 89 so that's not bad.

Wishing everyone a nice night!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Good morning...

Yesterday was a mad house as the baby and older grandson woke up at 4:30, we were able to get them to go back to sleep, but of course I could not. Busy all day, it was fun and I slept really well last night. So happy to have my peaceful environment back. All this to explain no post yesterday.

Lav, I like your reasoning re: our existence, I worked helping people for about 15 years. Burnt out. Still toxic at my old job, so grateful to be out of that. I want to keep busy and vital so as not to feel aged. I notice the more involved my parents stayed, the younger and healthier they acted and felt. I still am exploring ideas and have no need to rush into anything. And, some days are better than others. Important to remember that. I think gyms are ok, I love the one I joined, the classes are fun and varied. I have made friends and know I am more fit. I am going to try another club a little farther today, they have a class I want to take. To each his own, I do not like the isolation of not working, that is the only thing I miss.

Cyn, busy lady, our weather here is hot, sunny, 90s, just too much for this time of year. Enjoy your rain and cooler temps. How annoying to miss your train, sorry that happened. I am not having trouble with this site most days, sometimes I do, I wonder why. Glad you slept well, it makes all the difference. I love too exercise, it makes me feel good. I like to do it in groups, love exercise classes.

Pauly, so good you are back, feel better and have a great trip this weekend.

Have a great AF Thursday.

Comment

Morning all -

Sure glad to see my yesterday post online this morning - when I opened the site it looked like I had not posted or logged out... weird?! Maybe it's operator error, but whatever.
                              Lav, I liked hearing in that video about the specifics of exercise/movement and how it clears toxins -- it makes sense, but always good to have a reminder. I'm not watching the rest of the modules (and didn't see the first ones) I think it's just re-packaging the stuff we already know
                              ... and I don't care for having bible verses tossed in at the end, it felt very much like proselytizing. I like to have people keep that stuff separate if they're on a public forum. So back to reading my medical journals! It did get me out and walking yesterday, which exhausted me at the time, but I did wake up earlier and have felt better today (so far!). Yep, our land gives us plenty of movement to execute, right? I had planned on a big yard day on Sunday, but it's supposed to be 90 here that day. -- seriously?

Star, wow that schedule sounds like a lot, good for you for super-grandma duty! Is your son in law still staying overnight also? You sound busy - good for you for going to those exercise classes... my neighbor goes to a swim class that I am considering, but I hate to book time when I might be able to fit in clients during the day... we'll see. I'm also not sure about how much chlorine is in the water., so I'll find that out.

Pauly, good to hear from you. Sounds like Lav and Star's idea of distraction is the best way to go -- remember it takes about 6 weeks to reset your body to start to feel better, so maybe having your 'distraction bag of tricks' at the ready will help. Always wishing you well and good health!

Off to the races --- wishing all a good day - i think today is the first day of autumn, and in the Jewish calendar it is the beginning of a new year, celebrated with apples and honey, so I wish all a sweet year to come!

Comment

Good evening friends,

Just grabbing a bite to eat at 8:30 pm because YB was out on an unusual evening amish-uber run, ha ha!! Those folks are really starting to depend on him big time!

Star, I love having the kids overnight but not if they are awake at ungodly hours. That's rough on the grand folks!! Glad you enjoyed their visit!
                                While none of us want to become obsolete I hope we can continue to find some way to remain active & engaged but stay out of the rat race - if that makes sense.
                                I am grateful for the internet, it keeps me from feeling too isolated

Cyn, I heard today that we could possibly be having a Fall heatwave, ugh! Imagine 3 days on a row of temps >90 this time of year.
                                I started a new supplement today & I will keep you in mind if I find it helpful. It's organic crystallized sulfur (MSM). It's good for relieving the pain of arthritis & things like that. I have found myself relying more & more on Tylenol & Ibuprofen & I don't want that stuff in my system making my gut worse. SO, if I find this stuff is giving me any decent relief I will let you know. Let's keep moving so we don't stiffen up

Pauly, I hope your day was good & you are moving forward.

Have a peaceful night everyone!

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Working...
                                X