X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: w/c 16th

Good evening all --

Mick, welcome home!

Torrential rain here last night and much of the day, but at this point there is some golden light, and it is a little less humid. My off-hours are consumed with a damp and moldy basement. Today I was able to save archival files and pictures, and throw tons of things away... in a way it's easier than dithering about it all.

SK, hilarious stories of the kitties. I am sure you miss Peggy... even with my boy here, I still get tears over my girl who is gone. Lav, loved the FB post with the glorious Maxie. Pauly, sorry you are not well?! Hope you are better. Poor Lav, this rash stuff sounds serious - good luck.

Great to hear everyone's stories, and wishing everybody well.

Comment

Good evening Abbers,

We had the torrential rain here as well today. My rain gauge is showing nearly 6" just for the month of September so far. Crazy wet, hot weather all summer I think may be part of what is causing my skin reactions, ugh.
      The allergy doc has a few ideas & one is a possible photosensitivity problem related to a medication or supplement. I can do a lot of things but I truly cannot control the weather, duh!!

Mick, glad your acupuncture is going well. I am a firm believer in alternative therapies & getting to the root of a pain situation. US docs are so quick to write a Rx for narcotics & now we have a huge population of addicted patients.

PQ, your line painters thought they were going to get their work done early - oh well, ha ha!!!
      I'm happy to take any cold weather you don't want or need, for real. My redness & swelling have just about disappeared now after the Prednisone. I just hope it doesn't make a return before I get the rest of the allergy testing done. I had 6 tubes of blood drawn this morning for a big list of tests. Can't wait to see what that shows.

Pauly, I stopped taking my Immune C because I felt it might be a problem in the allergy department. If I can I will restart it because I swear it keeps me from getting colds & other respiratory funk. Feel better soon

SK, there are so many hysterical videos online of cats doing crazy stunts. Maybe you should set up a video camera for your kittens, LOL
      I think you will miss Peggy for a while, I know I am really missing my big girl Maxie who left us last summer. Dogs are special family members :hug:

Cyn, great to see you! Sorry to hear you got water in the basement though, that sucks.
      We had a guy here last week to fit a new roof ring around a vent pipe but the ring we purchased was the wrong size. He did do some caulking that has kept the water out of my kitchen for the time being.

Det, you sound like you are managing quite well, I am happy for you! One day at a time is the sane way to go

Just remembered I need to take the trash out & it's pitch dark, oh well!!!
      Have a nice night everyone.

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Oy Oy ABerooos!

yawn! stayed up til midnight thinking I'd sleep in but still up before 6. Oh well, seems i've become a morning person so
        I can accept that. Mick, ditto PPQ on ONLY 3lbs after all those fun travels? well done matey.

SK, yer sounding chipper which is lovely. Pictured the cat imagery very well
        That was indeed a classic 'chefs passing' you related. Hadn't heard of that one.

Lav, quite a vampire day for you... 6 vials takes a few minutes and I hope you were well hydrated.

Pauly, have someone bring you a Vietnamese 'pho' soup.... cure what ails you I say. Or a Thai 'thom yum' soup. both great.

Treegirl, nice to have you pop in!

ok, trying to get a bit 'hipper' and stylin' action going on in Det's trailer of high fashion got some slim-fit slacks that actually fit me
        instead of my circa 1993 baggy cargo pants. Shoe store next....

you guys have to check out the youtube channel 'you suck at cooking' it's totally hysterical.

well, nighty night time shortly. be well loves
        nosce te ipsum
        (Know Thyself)

Comment

hiyaall ...well here we are again ....we saw the end of storm Helene ....and guess what .....theres anther one on the way ....Storm Ali...so thats it back to the rain ....already looking at holidays for chrimbo ...can we move christmas to next week ...???Julie was at the docs yesterday ....results of blood tests ,,she is bang on with everything except cholestoral...its a bit high 6.2 ...the good ones (ldl?) are low the hdl high which ever way round it is ..this has gone up since she quit drinking ...how does that work ? diet is good ,pilates twice a week...the biggy is that both her mum and brother died of heart issues ...
          Det your the cholestoral man ? advice ...? the nurses are stumped!

ok lets get on ...the trains are coming along pretty good ..but brew time ...here we go

hiya sk ...hows you then ?Sounds like the cats are leading you a merry dance ..yuo sure you havent got the keystone cops living with you? as for the Royal Doulton ...what do you collect ? my mum used to have all the toby jugs ,and figurines ...favourite jug was the the trawlerman ,favourite figure was the balloon seller...my guess is you like the dancers ...and yes you will think of Peggy..I still miss all my rabbits that have gone ..every single one ...each of them were characters..

hiya treegirl..hows you then?what have you been up to ,apart from clearing out a cellar?has the rain gone ? and the sunshine there now ....

hiya John Travolta aka det ...you ok mate ....?well I have to agree with you I like both the Vietnamese and Thai foods too..

hiya Lav ,hows you then?hows the allergy > I think mine is starting to go...shshhhhhhhhh fingers crossed...my back is feeling alot better ..Ive got another appt next Monday and then we shall see how it goes...so they think it could be due to meds .....the best of luck with that ...hope it gets sorted out quickly for you ..

hiya pauly ,how are you feeling today then|?any better today ? I hope so..have a wunnerful wednesday...

hiya ppqp..hows you then ?hows work doing then?line painters finished?how many hats have we got now then?yep I ve got this retirement lark boxed off ..I work hard but holidays help....hows the weather your way ? take it the snowy season hasnt started yet?

right folks best to you all...take care

I've just bought some state of the art garden shears.

They're the latest in cutting hedge technology.

They say the pain during child birth is so great.

A woman can almost imagine what a man with man flu feels like.

Last night my date said, "So how come you haven't already been snapped up?"

I replied, "I've been married before, but it didn't work out. She said I was far too inattentive."

"Oh, that's so sad! Did you have any kids?"

"Probably."

Fax machines are bloody dangerous.

I got my tie caught in one once. Three minutes later I was in Hong Kong!

Winds of up to 80mph are set to hit parts of the UK after Storm Helene swept in from the west coast overnight. Hopefully it will make its way to Brighton and blow all the Liberal party conference delegates into The English Channel and directly to France where they can stay happily ever after.

Some people say the cup is half-full, others say the cup is half-empty.

I just say I'm not fcking coming back to this Starbucks.

Being totally crap with anything related to DIY, my whole family was completely shocked when I rewired the house!

Scientists have discovered the cause of the ‘butterfly’ sensation people get in their stomach, when they meet someone they’re strongly attracted to .
          It’s due to common sense trying to get out of your body !

The man who invented the word search has died his funeral is...
          T T I S P V G K M P
          H J G U O N Q U X
          N M O N D A Y S Z
          B A T K T E N O P G

My wife has a new hobby which involves distressing furniture.
          The other day she climbed into a wardrobe and sang some of her folk songs.

Do you ever go into a room and forget what you went in there for?
          Well, that’s how my dad lost his job as a fireman...

I was off work at home, after getting out of hospital, having had a circumcision to cure a nasty infection .

I said to the wife "put the heating on it's bloody freezing"
          She said "where's your pullover?"
          I replied "it's at the hospital in the feckin bin".

I went out and bought a pair of high heels to give to my wife with for her birthday...

She'll like these as she's always moaning about how she can never reach the top shelf in the kitchen !
          af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Mae everybody,Mick glad Julies blood work looks good except the cholesterol,seems like that pretty common though,loved the jokes Det,I think its a great idea to make a "new you" out with the old,I've always said that clothes hold memories so out with the old,bad,sad memories! Waves to all and have a great BF Wednesday!
            I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
            Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

MAE. It would appear Misty is a terrorist. In bed last night, she attacked and bit my big toe and it really hurt, so she lost the privilege of being on the bed. Then Hermi never left my side and now Misty is manic because she has been lonely.

Mick, The Balloon Lady was my absolute favourite and the Toby Mugs went with husband. I have 3 left with my name, DD's name and Viv's name. DD asked for my Royal Doulton which I gave to her, and the sterling silver,both of which she sold to ebay. She doesn't know I know).
              The dinnerware was not her style and the forks of the silver (Spanish Lace) had pointed ends and SIL has very large hands, so I think he influenced that Decision.

I still have some painted plates of covered bridges, which are painted in lovely colours.

How is everyone else today? Cyn, great to see you.
              Enlightened by MWO

Comment

MAE ALL...

Pauly...are you feeling better today? The most annoying thing about the painters is I didn't know they were coming. When I got to work yesterday morning they had all the handicapped stalls blocked off. Was trying to figure out the name of the company as I had 75 people coming that morning and they use those stalls. While I was outside he drove up and removed them. Asked him what his plan was and he wasn't sure. He called me before I left work and said he'd come back Tuesday night and try to finish. He asked me to make some signs and wanted permission to block off the entryway. I agreed as long as it was after 6pm. This morning found everything complete and back to normal.

SK..."Well, the cats have played in their hotel and unfortunately it's a launching pad to the kitchen counters" :rotlf: Wouldn't you know it! I would have thought Hermi would be the terrorist! Didn't have to be traffic warden today!

Cyn...sorry to hear about the torrential rain. Guess that's one way to get the spring cleaning done. Oh wait! It's not spring! Hope there's not too much damage.

Lav...I think I'd rather put up with the cold temps than deal with torrential rain. Glad to hear you're on the mend and I too hope it doesn't return and you get the tests done. I'm in for blood work tomorrow morning (RA Checkup next week) one little vial is all. Did you manage to get the trash out safely last night?

Det...I've tried that trick before too. Stay up late hoping to sleep in, nope, doesn't work for me either. Re: the youtube channel you suck at cooking...did you see me? Of course you know we're going to want a pic of the new Det!

Mick...another storm! I'd be looking at a Thanksgiving holi, why wait till chrimbo! Interesting about the cholesterol going up after she quit drinking. You'd think it would be the other way around. Work was very quiet today. Childcare has everything figured out, boss is on holidays, program coord left early so I played bridge all afternoon. I figure I deserved it. Temps actually hit double digits and the sun came out. It's just teasing us as Saturday will bring snow. Will you be putting christmas lights on the trains?

Sam...thinking of you and hope all is well.

Doing a Souvlaki Chicken stir fry for supper so I bet get at it. Hope we all have a peaceful evening....:smile:PPQP

Comment

Greetings Abbers,

Kind of late but wanted to say HI!
                  We had a phone call at dinner time that our elderly friend is in the hospital so we decided to go see him. An hour drive to the hospital, found him sleeping, his dinner tray untouched. I woke him up, he recognized us but that's about it. He's confused, doesn't know the day, date or time or even how long he's been there. Sad to see such a nice guy going down hill like that. He's about 83, so I guess this is going to be the usual for him. I think we need to drive out & check on his wife tomorrow, she's home alone & not in great shape herself. These are the folks who lost their 63 year old daughter back in May We have been in touch with their son fairly regularly to try to make sense of what's going on with the old folks, geez.
                  We had all clear skies & sun today - what??? It almost looked odd after all this rain.

Mick, sometimes elevated cholesterol is just genetic, mine is. It was fine with me until I turned 50-ish them boom, it started going up.
                  I take 2 Rx meds, one for my B/P which also was normal pre age 50 & a statin, a cholesterol lowering medication. The doctor took me off the statin when I presented with the allergy reaction. All the dietary changes, exercise, quitting smoking & drinking never lowered my cholesterol level. So now I guess it's going to go up again, ho hum.

Pauly, I highly recommend chicken soup of any nationality, ha ha!!!
                  They've done studies & are not sure why but chicken soup apparently does help cure respiratory funk

SK, I can't believe your cat - what the heck??? I don't think I could put up with behavior like that, sorry.
                  Sad about your china & silver being sold like that. I have my mother's, have used it over the years but it's pretty much packed away now. I just can't get my family to sit for nice dinners anymore - sign of the times I suppose.

Det, you are becoming a fashionista!!! Good for you buddy, have fun!
                  I have always believed that once we took back control of our lives we could make ourselves into anything we want, why not?

Hello to Cyn, hope your yard is drying out, mine is not too bad today.

Wishing everyone a nice night!
                  Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09

Comment

morning all...how are we today then?all good ...well another storm done ..Ali is history ....pretty strong winds with that one..cant wait for the next one....so nearly the weekend again ..well put the rrst of the backdrop boards around the railway yesterday...nearly finished all the ballasting too ..

20180919_181113.jpg

the pictures that are crooked in the frames on the wall are actually railway posters about 70 years old ..the pics are squint to help Julies ocd ...she goes mad when she sees them!!ha ha.so now I need to get some scenery sheets for the wood too..
                    but first ...a brew ..

hiya pauly how are you then? feeling any better today? as Lav says ..a chukkie egg and chicken soup works wonders....thats been passed thru the generations! hope you have a good day ..hows things at work now?

hiya Lav ...how are yuo today then?all well or at least better? yes its sad when folks start to lose it a bit..Julie was at her dads yesterday ...pretty sad ,he cried yesterday and said he missed his wife ..thats the first time in 2 years ...he though it was 2016 still.

think you are right about the hereditary cholestoral thats what the issue is ...I think Im on the same meds as you ...

just looked out of the window...a squadron of Canada geese have landed right next to the shorthorn cattle who are looking pretty puzzled...

Anew hat ..ppqp ...mediator! well done on an afternoon of bridge .....no there wont be chrimbo lights on the trains ....not unless they come to tenerife with me ...One of the scenes I am eventually going to do in the future is the train going thru the Rockies ..thats the beauty of having it moveable..ok if those 2 werent there this aft ..and the world remained round ..I can see a savings to be made....

hiya sk...hows the keystone kops today then?they still playing you up ?oh dear ..and how are you?healing slowly?you look after yourself ..

hiya det and treegirl hope you are well...

right time for the offski ...take care..

"Have I made myself clear?" Said the chameleon as he stood in front of a sheet of glass.

This Christmas, naughty children will be getting some Euros instead of that expensive lump of coal.

I had a vasectomy because I didnt want any kids.

But, when I got home, they were still there.

My mate reckons he can tighten nuts and bolts just by sitting on them.
                    Personally I think he torques out of his arse…

The level of pollution in the world today is becoming intolerable.
                    Only the other day I opened a can of sardines to find it was full of oil and all the fish were dead.

Local newsagents says it has 2019 calendars for sale. Can’t see it shifting that many..

Storm Ali getting everyone worked up and scared, meanwhile in Manchester,

"May have to put a jacket on today...…."

"Get this." said the bloke to his mates,
                    "Last night while I was down the pub with you guys, a burglar broke into my house.
                    "Did he get anything." his mates asked.
                    "yeah, a broken jaw, six teeth knocked out, and a pair of broken nuts.
                    The wife thought it was me coming home drunk."
                    af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Mae everybody,things are still the sane at work Mick but meh,who cares,that's sad about Julies dad SK,that's why I can't have cats,too much allover the place,I briefly had two and I was grossed out at them walking on my counters and stove,eating food that I had cooked for dinner,scratching up my curtains and furniture,eating plants aaaah the list goes on but hopefully yours will behave as they get settled Det,I'm with PQ we want pics of the new you much love to all and wishes for a fantastico BF Thursday!!!!!
                      I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                      Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

MAE everyone.

Nice train track Mick. Finding those posters w as a real find Mick. I'm sure that it will be really fun oncei t is finished.

Lav, I don't believe in returning pets to a shelter. Mistyis a challenge, but she is a character and most importantly Viv thinks she is her cat. I will find a trainer if necessary.

Glad for you and Cyn's yards are drying out.

Pauly, Mick is right with his food suggestions.I also eat a spicy Thai or Chinese soup to drain the sinuses. [ wonder what Det has to say about this.

Talked to Dr Sawbone's office and It looks as if full function could take up to a year. I asked about the pain level, because it has subsided some, but is still painful and they said that could take up to 6 months, I am trying to substitute plain tylenol when possible. I must have done a number on it.

Det, look at your big bad self with your new duds!

Just realized your basement is wet, what a pain. With all the flooding we've experienced in this country I wonder what the pros use?

102 here yesterday. Humidity at 50%, ugh.

Peggy's dog walker has begun visiting me after school. Not a problem but she is so insecure i.e. your cat doesn't like me, used to say the same about Peggy, I'm bothering you aren't I, just tell me when to leave, etc.
                        Yesterday she brought me a hand-written notice inviting me to her school for choir night, which might be for parents only, but her handwriting was very immature. Viv's is precise and looped together and hers is grade school print. She always tells me how much she likes being with me, etc. She is 15, Viv is 9. I'm wondering if indeed she might be described as slow. In any event these visits have become awkward.
                        Last edited by SKendall; September 20, 2018, 09:39 AM.
                        Enlightened by MWO

Comment

MAE ALL...

Lav...sad to hear about your elderly friend. I was wondering if that was the same couple. Does their son live close by? Sounds like they won't be able to be on their own much longer.

Mick...the backdrop boards look great, can't wait to see them painted. I loved the train ride through the Rockies, lots of tunnels. Maybe you should have it start off in Medicine Hat. LOL

Pauly...couldn't decide if you meant "things are insane at work" or "things are the same at work", doesn't matter as either would probably work. Hope you had a good day.

SK...it really does sound like you did a number on it. A year out for full functionality! As it gets better you take it easy, don't want to re-injure it. Sounds like there's more going on with Peggy's dog walker. You just make sure you do what's right for you.

Doing perogies, cabbage rolls and borscht for dinner tonight thanks to our catering staff. Final garden meeting tonight so I better get at it. Have a peaceful night all....:smile:PPQP

Comment

Did uou say perogies PQ? YUM!!!!!!!
                            Of course I have to make them dairy free these days but they are still so good
                            We just heard from our friend’s son & the news is not good. There’s a tumor on the old guy’s liver, most likely cancerous. The family has decided no biopsy, no surgery, no chemo or radiation - he wouldn’t be able to handle any of that so they will be providing palliative care until he needs hospice. I think that’s the humane choice, really. Oh boy.

I was asked to get the boys from the school bus this afternoon so I did. They did homework, gorged themselves on turkey meatballs & brownies, nothing new, lol. Waiting for a parent to pick them up. I also went back to the dentist this morning to have yet another crown glued back in. This one fell out a few days ago while I was eating a piece of toast......next thing I’ll be giving up is eating, geez.

Mick, you train track is taking on a very realistic look
                            Are you getting tons of rain with the storms? Summer is officially coming to a close tgis weekend.

Pauly, are the allergens easing up any out your way? Do you get new ones in the fall?

SK, I hear you with the adopted pets, I would never return one either. I have little cat experience but I can manage dogs. Crate training wotks best with them.
                            The healing process takes much longer as well age. Gosh, it took me a good two years or more to be able to walk without pain & swelling in my foot after a stress fracture. Compared to your break, mine was nothing. Guard that wrist with your life, lol
                            Maybe the teen has some real social deficits. It’s nice that she wants to include you in her activities, that’s kind of nice.

Hello to Det, Cyn, Sam, Pie & everyone.
                            Peace to all tonight.

Lab
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Ahoy hoy ABerooonamoes!

Lav, that's sad news but probably the best course of action.

SK, terrorist cats? what's next? at least it's not boring there eh?

Mick, having cholesterol numbers jump-around after recently quitting the booze is totally normal and completely expected...
                              mine did the same thing. Her liver enzymes will be changing for some months, so give it some time and re-test in 3 months or so.
                              In the meantime natural lecithin supplementation 2x per day is what I'd do (and I do) it helps the liver metabolize lipids and is also
                              a CNS restorative. Good stuff mate. Also exercise and avoiding sugar and simple carbs will make the 'ol liver (cholesterol machine among
                              other fascinating tricks) much happier.

Well, still dunno what I want to do for work when I grow up. oh well. Pouring over the job sites, applying for a couple.

Got chicken with lemon zest, olives, tomatoes, garlic and fennel on the stove. Smells supa!

PPQ, my faux hawk is coming along pretty well, yes must take a pic soon.... I promise

Lav, no giving up on eating! I'm a big fan

SK, yes spicy food is marvy for sinuses provided you don't overdo yourself. Also spicy food helps in weight loss according
                              to another newer study. And olive oil is a powerful anti-inflammatory in rather new med research news. Neato.

PPQ, sounds like an awesome Eastern European feast you are making...nice.

thinking about securing a domain name and starting a blogsite about life after rehab and other ramblings. Some pretty decent
                              domain names are surprisingly still available.

well, that's that for the moment. Be well loves!
                              nosce te ipsum
                              (Know Thyself)

Comment

morning all ...how are we today then? hopefully all well ...we have got thru storm Ali...but guesss what ..theres another one on the way !!!!jeez ..also ..spoke to 2 specialists about Panda yesterday ..despite not being properly mobile she is really perky ...and gorgeous .In a nutshell ,I will basically be her carer ,but her quality of life is still excellent ,and thats what I want...plus her and jeeves are so so close ..anyway she is going nowhere!
                                ok brew time ...

hiya det hows you then mate thank you for the info ...thats a good idea re the site det ..but can I say if you are going to do that you have to do the whole 9yds ..like that eh? warts and all..either that or write a book ...but I wish you the best of luck ...

hiya Lav ,sorry to hear about your friends dad ..the choice is individual for us all..and then on top of that you go to the dentist to get your crown fixed ...Ive had that ..but mine it doesnt slip any more ..it sits firmly on the top of my head now!!! and then you had the cupboard emptiers with you ..whorra day ..here is a mahoosive brew for you..

ppqp ....borsht??????wow love it ...the best I ever had was in Moscow 14 years ago !!yes the trains are starting to come on well now its hard trying to rein my imagination in ...yep start in medicine hat ...obviously a model Sin Bin there !then Lethbridge Banff etc ..it would be like a home run for you! Hope the garden meeting went well .

hiya Sk ...hows you then? all good I hope ..thats so sweet and kind of that lass wanting to share with you ...ok ...she may be slow possibly...but not all of us can be brain surgeons ..a kind nature knocks all that into a hat ..I also agree about returning the animals ...unless there is a serious medical issue that means you cant keep the animal..you take good care .

hey pauly loved dem pics!!hows you then today?so there is still a witches coven there then?you just look after you and yours

right peeps take it eazee.....

It said on my packet of Walker's crisps; 'not to be sold separately'
                                I ignored this and sold each individual crisp for 10p.

I covered my costs and made 20p profit.

I was walking in the jungle the other day when I saw a Monkey with a banana in one hand and a tin opener in the other.
                                I said to him "You've don't need a tin opener to peel a banana"
                                He replied "I know, it's for the custard"

A woman has the last word in any argument.

Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument

I'm p..sed off because I have to work at the museum tonight moving suits of armour.

I fcking hate knight shifts.

This older woman caught me looking at some fancy scrolled numbers tattooed on her arm,

"Hello love, "she said, "13-07-1998, it says, the birth of my lovely son. "

"Oh, I'm sorry, "I replied, "I thought it was your best before date. "

I just went into my local shop & asked for a bottle of water.....
                                Shop keeper said “Still water”
                                I replied “Yeah, I haven’t changed my mind”

I think I'll cook something nice for dinner tonight just to show the wife it can be done.

Woman on dating site: 'I want a man who will make me his priority and give me his undivided attention. I want to be treated like a princess and if you are lucky enough to date me, I won't have sex for at least three months. I'm proud of my curves. Drivers only'.

Wow, how come someone hasn't snapped you up already love?!

The Croydon Cat killings, originally blamed on a burgeoning psychopath who would eventually turn his attention to humans, now believed to be the work of a peckish fox.

Police are now re-examining other crimes and investigating the hypothesis that the Yorkshire Ripper murders might have been the work of a startled barn owl, the Moors Murders could be down to bored badgers and the Shipman Killings are likely the result of disgruntled magpies.

Do people in canoes get rowed rage ?

Every day I get cards through the door saying that theres a demand for properties in my area with Estate agents phone numbers on them.

My neighbour thinks I don't recognise her handwriting.

Comment

Working...
                                X