last one of 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: last one of 2018

Lav, Pauly... no apologies required. I was thinking that on my Bday Jan 5th I will have been smoking for exactly 50 years! OMG! And to think it all started because I wanted to "fit in"! I've been thinking about quitting for awhile but needed to write (type) it down to actually make the thought real. So thank you for the encouragement as I start my pro/con "Mick" list. I'm virtually eating chocolate pretzels with both of you. :hug:

Comment

good morning all....and how are we ? any better than last year?hny to you all...a bright morning out there ...My computerwouldnt charge yesterday ..didnt know why ... changed the fuse in the plug lead ,took the battery off ...played about for ages ...till suddenly ..that little bubble moment ..Bonnie had chewed the cable right through ..I never saw her do it ,Went to the computer shop ...a new one is £40.....so the old one has been repaired and works ok now .
      Terror attack in Manchester last night ..cop and 2 others stabbed before they took him down,,,he is alive ..so that means we are going to keep in jail for yonks at some mad cost ..is a bullet in cases like these not cheaper and effective..and the financial resources directed elsewhere..or am I wrong?

I was talkingto Julie about her stopping drinking ....now her mind is really methodical and logical ...the very opposite to me ..she needs rationale and reason for everything ..one of the things that made her realise what it was all about was a book by Annie Grace called This Naked Mind,,In it she describes the social acceptance of drinking the triggers ,,,the release of dopamine? to the brain etc

I also found she has a You tube site....it is really worth a visit .. just type in Annie Grace this naked mind

which leads aptly on to the next one ...HNY to you ppqp ...50 years on the smokes? ouch thats some dosh and health...heres a funny one ..when I quit smoking the first time ..(I quit for 6 moon and then started again!duh) but at that time there was a big drive to get prisoners to stop smoking ...so there were loadsa cessation groups etc ..where they were doling out patches to the cons...I went to my local doctor to get some patches ..he refused telling me I wouldhafta buy them ...I then explained all about where I worked and the freebies etc ...I also said in a kinda roundabout way that unless he gave me some I was there for the morning day whatever ..In the end I got 6 weeks work ..did they work ? for me ..not. In the end I did it the 2ndtime with a thats it done job.. whats changed now is ..a lot less folk smoke in public ,so not saying it would be easier but def different.Just like drinking ...be positive,you can do it ..again its a craving , try and initially stay away from where you would usually smoke situations..ie when you come home from work chilling at night dinner and break times..keep a diary ,how did you feel how did you get by etc ...also list..yep the list !again the same lateral thinking ...be as crazee on that as you want ..this time keep that in your pocket purse etc ..when you are out etc read that over and over ...really think deeply into what you have written ..Financially dont think that you will svae millions ..you wont ...but you will spend it elsewhere ...but do include treats for your self ..you could scrape together money for smokes ..get it together for a treat ....insta pot ? etcT he big one is ...as we get older the natural instinct is to live as long as we can ...yep we know we are all going to die ...but the natural is to hope it isnt tomorrow ,and we are able to enjoy our remaining time healthily...it is never too late ..you can always improve your chances Again go on to you tube ..there is tons on there ..but most of all ..tell everyone you are doing it ..you will need the support and will get it ..in return for that you feel you "cant "let people down ..this has gone on a bit ..but hope it helps ..here for you ...

hiya pauly happy new year to you ..we are 8 hours ahead of yall.. so its now 09:45 Tuesday, in United Kingdom is
      01:45 Tuesday, in Las Vegas, NV, USA

hny Sam ...anudder on in mate?you gigging over new year?

hiya Det Teegee Pie Sk and all the rest of the gang..hope its a good one for us ..

My average yearly dry-cleaning bill is £4200. I’m a close personal friend of Uri Geller, but every time I go round to his house I get soup all down my front.

I had an 'A' in English for my GCSE's.

Which is why I failed, it starts with an 'E' apparently.

In the uk, you need to be sixteen to ride a 50cc, seventeen to ride a 125cc, twenty-four years old for an unrestricted licence, and sixty to ride a Harley.

I'm great at sleeping.

I can do it with my eyes shut.

I was absolutely irate when I got fired from my last job. "All I did was leave one of the locks open," I said to my boss...

He fumed, "You shut down the canal for two weeks and also submerged 27 local villages !"

I've got a big problem at the minute with buying loads of salad.

It really needs a-dressing

I don't know why everyone calls me a party pooper.

It's not my fault I needed a sh.t and there was a queue for the bathroom.

I phoned the Child Abuse Hotline.

A kid answered, called me a tosser and told me to fck off.

Breaking news, midget holds seance for charity and runs off with the takings.

Small medium at large.

49091385_10155984124422503_7585817056906313728_n.jpg
      af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Mae everybody,Mick so I was right that it was already the NY for you I barely made it to 9 pm,just didn't care had the boys for a bit and Lou slept the whole time so I think hes still not 100%,I hated feeling like a party pooper last night,not so much the no alcohol,just the not giving a shit about NYE it felt like I had a negative attitude,meh,maybe I was just tired,PQ,Mick gave you good advice,I hate telling people around me tho cuz then if I smoke again you never hear the end of it and wanna smoke more it seems haha! Det,hope you're feeling better with that cold,I took a Cold Eeze last night and I think it might have messed up my sleep,or it was the dog barking next door or the fireworks all damn night,grrrr,Sam,there you are,hope all is well much love to all and wishes for a great BF NYD!
        Last edited by paulywogg; January 1, 2019, 09:50 AM.
        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Happy New Year Everyone! It's nice to be looking out across a fresh, new 12 months. As for resolutions, I'm going to try not to dwell on my regrets. The thoughts will occur to me, but I'll put some effort in to not allowing them to linger. The sun is shining here, a new jigsaw puzzle is on my table, and I've got a showing at noon. Should be an easy day.

PQ, I could have written your post about smoking for nearly half a century, starting with a teenage wish to fit in. I took your Jan 5th date as part of the talking about it, that comes after the thinking about it, and precedes the doing something about it. All part of the process. I hope that you'll continue to share here if it helps you along.

Comment

Originally posted by Pie View Post
            PQ, I could have written your post about smoking for nearly half a century, starting with a teenage wish to fit in. I took your Jan 5th date as part of the talking about it, that comes after the thinking about it, and precedes the doing something about it. All part of the process. I hope that you'll continue to share here if it helps you along.
            :harhar::harhar: That made perfect sense to me! Ooooh a new jigsaw puzzle, I'll be right over! We're all going to help you with your NY's resolution and help you ban those regrets!

Comment

Happy New Year all....

Mick...thanks for sharing your experiences with quitting smoking, it really does help. Yup, got my pen and paper in my purse as I find writing things down sticks more that typing them out. I'm surprised that little "bubble" moment took so long. That would have been my first guess. Glad you were able to mend the cable instead of forking out more dough! I totally get your thinking about the terror attacker in Manchester. All I'll say is it's a good thing we are not Judge/Jury/Executioners! Thanks for the info on Annie Grace, will be checking that out today.

Pauly...I made it to 11pm and then taped the celebration event. Just as well as it was a bit disappointing when I watched it this morning. LOL I've heard it said that if you're thinking of quitting smoking to tell everyone around you. I feel the same way but I also feel it would keep me accountable. Just like this thread does!

Wishing the rest of the gang a Happy New Year and I'll check back in later.....:smile:PPQP

Comment

Ahoy hoy ABerooos!

Pie, you put it so well: I'm going to try not to dwell on my regrets. The thoughts will occur to me, but I'll put some effort in to not allowing them to linger. The sun is shining here, a new jigsaw puzzle is on my table, and I've got a showing at noon. Should be an easy day

so anyhoos, just a sore throat so nothing horrid.

Pauly, you and me both sister on the sleep front... fireworks all night, sounded like the neighbors car exploded too. yikes.

very much looking forward to some actual sleep tonight.. another attempt anyway.

gnight loves!
                nosce te ipsum
                (Know Thyself)

Comment

Good evening Abbers & Happy New Year!

I had the opportunity to meet an old friend for lunch today & it was nice. Since she moved to FL two years ago the visits are few & far between. Her kids & grandkids are still here in PA so she has to come back once in a while, ha ha!!!!
                  We had sun & the temp nearly hit 60 for a while, wow! Super duper unusual weather!

Mick, computer parts & service can be expensive but we really need our computers, ugh.
                  I heard about the stabbing in Manchester, very sad. I think I'd rather be shot than stabbed
                  I wish there was some giant pit that we could drop these criminals into & be done with them.

Pauly, it's a brand new year with 365 opportunities to make our lives great. I read that the other day & thought wow - so true!
                  I hope the kids are feeling better by now.

PQ, I was just thinking when I quit smoking I joined an online group similar to this one. It think it was called QuitNet
                  Check around & see if it's still there. It was nice for a while trading stories, hopes & fears about quitting. Honestly, it was much harder for me to quit smoking than drinking. I figured it was because I smoked a lot longer than I drank. I was open for any help I could get including a hypnosis CD I used to play at night along with the MWO Hypno CDs. It's all about changing your thinking :hug:

Pie, working on a holiday? Good for you.
                  I hope you have bunches of sales this year.

Hello to Cyn, Sam & Det.

Have a nice night everyone!
                  Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

mae all ..how are things today then?I guess for a lot of people its back to work day ...not me no siree...well actually I probably work harder than I ever did ..keeping my eye on Jeeves ,wasnt eating his food yesterday ,...very timid ...the clue was ....in following her everywhere..I think its the bunny making season already ....if thats so then its early ..I then looked at the plants in the garden ....a good few camelia,blueberries etc are budded up already ..and I have a fuchsia bush thats still flowered up ..I reckon if thats the case we are 2 months early...
                    ok brew time ..

hiya Lav ,how are you then? hope all is well with you. 60 degrees ...It was about 37 /40 here yesterday.glad you enjoyed the lunch with your friend .take care and have a good one

hiya det ...well mate did you get any sleep?Just over the valley from us near Huddersfield ,there is a place where they make fireworks...there is also an experimental /test base nearby in the hills ..Every now and again they test the fireworks ,so you see all these fireworks and kinda think ok ...so what have I missed what celebration is it ?hows the rabbit doing?

hia ppqp..hows you today? so you taped the celebrations into the new year? does that mean if you watch it backwards you end up in 18?Good for you with your pen and paper ..thats def me too ..Ive got a kindle ,but Im always buying books ,an age thing?Quitnet stiil exists ...its all a question of support and belonging and praise for achievement ...we all need support in one way shape or form..its the level of support ,and also the commonality of goal..for me I didnt need it ,Lav did ..just different make ups ..I will say tho for me it was harder than quitting booze ..but you can do it ,you will do ..its the how ... telling folk does help ..it keeps as you say us accountable ,and we dont want to let others think we are "weak"which is a myth ..one size doesnt fit all its trial and error..The other thing is ,when you tell people ..it gives you an opening for praise ...and we all need that ...we all like to be told that we are good all round eggs (that is unless you are in weightwatchers!)but again we all need praise to a greater /lesser degree...and dont forget the rewards ..as for judge /jury /executioner...happily wear the 3 hats and not lose sleep ...anyway ..have a great day you are still on holiday so enjoy it

hiya pauly hows you then?hope you are ok.whats in store for you today?whatever it is I hope its a good one.

hiya sk how are you doing today? how was your new year ? you didnt break anything partying ?take care

hi treegirl ..you doing ok?

Sam the man likewise?

Pie..and good morning to you ..how did the viewing go?hope it went well ...our make up says thatwe think of the past and the what ifs and the I wish ..etc ...again its the how you deal with it ...we all have them ,its the dealing with them that is the panacea ..The ideal is ...I wish I had done this ..and the reply would be ..well tuff you didnt ...move on ..as cold as that..but instead we think well why didnt I or what would it have been like ...and it takes you into a whole different area ..which may not be good ...make the past good by enjoying the present

I was playing about with the buildings for my railway putting lighting in here how a couple of them turned out ...you would nt think it was just card models..not bad for a first attempt ..Ive got lots of ideas tho!

20190101_173506.jpg

20190101_173403.jpg

right peeps have a good one

What is the difference between acceptable and unacceptable behaviour?

The difference is that the action is the same but it's only unacceptable when a man does it.

Thirty nine people have been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after a man was stabbed in London.....strewth, what was the victims name Julius Caesar?

I don't want to think I'm getting old or anything, but all the noises I used to make during sex, I now make getting out of bed.

I waited in anticipation for the countdown

Then

BONG.......out it came, lit it up and got high for the first time of 2019

A new study shows that Dolphins have a phenomenal memory! Memories include "Swam a lot" and "Ate"!

The new years dinner I was cooking for the family was going to be a surprise but the fire engines ruined it

Apparently yesterday was the warmest day of the year so far.

Did you hear about the new sushi bar that caters exclusively to lawyers?
                    It's called, Sosumi.

Did you hear about the terrorists who took a whole courtroom full of lawyers hostage?
                    They threatened to release one every hour until their demands where met.

Did you hear that the Post Office just recalled their latest stamps?
                    They had pictures of lawyers on them ... and people couldn't figure out which side to spit on.
                    af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Mae everybody,back to work today,,will still be confused on what day it is until next week haha,much love to all and have a great BF Wednesday!
                      I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                      Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Happy New Year all!!

PPQ, thank you so much for picking up and moving my post, that was much appreciated. I was trying to post on my phone. And I couldn't be sure what was what.

Just arrived home last night after a 12 hour commute across the country. It was a very good trip, strengthing family ties and giving support to HB's daughter, who has moved to the west coast. Now onto a new year and real life. I have my big client move to prep this week; I am trying to think positively about this one and assume it will all work out great, otherwise I am a bundle of nerves.

Mick, thanks for the 2019 poem and all the sage advice. PPQ, love your plan, I hope it sticks. My SIL quit by working with hypnosis, and it has stuck. PI, so glad your plan kept you busy, congrats. We are always here. Pauly, so sorry for the troubles at work - and a shooting? Seriously scary -- you take care! Det, I hope your cold/sore throats is resolving and you are off to a great year. Lav, I hope you get some rest in, you have really done the family thing this year! SK, how is it all going? I also wish you a fall/break/pain-free 2019! Sam, I hope this year brings you lots of music-making.

Off to the races, it so glad to be home for the next 4 days. Sunday evening I drive to Long Island to get ready for this move - better than trying to get there on a Monday morning with NYC traffic!

Cheers to all for a wonderful start to this brand-new year!

Comment

MAE ALL...

Det...did you manage to get some sleep last night? My sleep's been off but I'm sure it's because I'm out of my regular routines not fireworks. Hope the sore throat is better.

Lav...it's nice to meet up with friends we haven't seen in awhile. Our temp this morning is 50F and staying there for the rest of the week. Dropping back to normal 28 on the weekend and even that's ok with me. I will check out QuitNet, thanks. I agree quitting smoking will be harder that AL. I find myself lighting up and not even realizing it so I think a smoking diary would help. I tried hypnosis once awhile ago but at that point I was trying to quit for the ex not for myself.

Mick...I hope you've figured out what's up with Jeeves, you could be right. The lighting looks great in the buildings! Can hardly wait to see the whole thing working. Never did get into a Kindle, I just love curling up with my book in hand, my escape. I agree with telling people I'm quitting smoking to get their encouragement. Somehow I just couldn't do that when it came to quitting AL. LOL As far as the "3 hats" don't get me wrong there have been times when I would have been right there beside you.

Pauly...hope you have a good, uneventful first day back to work. If it helps we can start our posts with "Pauly...it's Wednesday" LOL I'm not worrying about the day of the week till next week!

TG...you're welcome, couldn't have peeps missing your NY wishes. I have never posted from my phone so I'll just help everyone stay in the right thread. I'm glad you're home safe and sound and that your trip was a good one. I'm sure the move will go according to plan, you sound way too organized for it to be anything but.

I am going to take advantage of this wonderful weather and clean out the car today then another trip to the bottle depot. Funny, I don't feel embarrassed to return all those 2 litre coke bottles. LOL Have a great Wednesday all....:smile:PPQP

Comment

Good evening Abbers,

My plan for the day was to pack up Christmas & put everything away. Then I remembered I needed to sit down & pay bills. And I needed a haircut so I went & got that done & stopped in the food market for a few things. Got home & saw a new recipe for red lentil farro soup flavored with turmeric - yum
                            Now I sit here next to my fully decorated tree & absolutely refuse to do any undecorating ha ha. There's always tomorrow!!

Mick, your buildings look so awesome, great job!
                            Temp in the high 30's tonight so I don't think anything will be blooming outside around here.

Det, the three 12x12 canvas prints arrived today. Your bunny & horse turned out awesome!!!! The third is my Swissy who passed away 18 months ago - I really miss that dog. Now I have a great picture of her. I'm going to hang your prints in my guest bedroom (the one the grandkids use when they stay over). I think the kids will love them, thanks so much
                            I hope your cold is improving.

Pauly, I hope your day was good today! You should have seen how much hair they cut off my head today. It's only been 5-6 weeks but boy did it grow.

Cyn, glad you're home & getting organized for your job. I hope the weather holds out like this so you can move about freely.

PQ, I went to a large group hypnosis session once upon a time. It was great & I quit but somehow it just wore off & I stupidly started up again a few weeks later. That's why I say it's more of a mind game than anything else. After a few days the physical cravings are gone & I just didn't realize that I needed to keep working on my thinking - duh.
                            Now on this last quit I used my MWO tools & had success. Although there was the day about two weeks in where I said F_ck it & got in the car to go buy myself some smokes. Fortunately around here you need to drive at least 7-8 miles before you get to a store, gas station or anything else. I pulled into the parking lot of the store, did a U turn & went right back home with no smokes. That was a major WIN for me, haha!!! You will figure it out too

Hello to SK, hope you are well. Hello to Pie too.
                            Sam, what's up?

I'm taking the rest of the evening off, really, LOL
                            Have a nice night everyone!

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

and good morning to all our readers..how are we all then ? ok I hope ..Its is freezing of the first order over here...the gritters were out last night its a white one...Just reading through a coupla posts on here .little cottage industries springing up !go for it ..
                              Ill make cawfee ..

hiya Lav hows you today then ?all good I hope..ha what youre talking about with the cigs ,I did with booze at the very start!Jumped in the car drove to shop to buy some vodka ...buy the time I had got there the urge had gone ...that was the one and only.On the smoking front...I had acupuncture ,but I dont think think my mind set was right ..it was more of an okay then stop me ..as opposed to using it as a positive tool ..I understand about the big dog too ...Ive had a few rabbits ...each have character ,but Sandy was my special one if that makes sense ...simply because she was with me when my life went a bit wrong ,and also when I quit etc ...I used to talk to her ...strangely enough she never argued.to be fair I love em all.

hiya ppqp ..hows you today?good I hope ..yep a diary would be handy ..the only problem with keeping a diary ...it can sometimes hinder as well .To explain......."Monday ....felt a bit rough ...really needed a cig especially teatime ."Tuesday started ok ,but needed a cig by the end of the day...So by Friday you look back and think ...jeez ,I thought this got easier ..it isnt..might as well have one ..does that make sense? Try and make the diary specific..
                              Monday..
                              felt a it wobbly to start with thought I wanted a cig especially when
                              I got up
                              on the way to work
                              dinner time
                              on the way home
                              teatime
                              after tea.

here is what I did for the following ..
                              got up .....had coffee ,read my list few deep breaths craving subsided
                              dinner time ..had dinner ,instead of standing outside went for a walk round gardens read list felt good .

also dont write phrases like needed a cig ,must have ...you dont ..you proved that with booze .

hope this is of use to you ,if not just say,I honestly wont be offended.

I still keep a diary now though it is mostly woffle ..it contains weight execise moods ,salient points and reminders..tho tbh I dont always fill it in
                              I recall the first entry I made when I came home after my stroke ..here Iam ..home ..not sure how I feel scared to go to sleep..it looked like a kids scrawl ..Next day ...I am here !!

I agree about the bottles ..where we are ..its mostly oder generation folk ..and every morning without fail you hear the wine bottles getting chucked in the bins ..forr me there is some sort of perverse satisfaction that I aint part of the bottle brigade ..did you get the car cleaned out?the clutch on mine is slipping slightly ...hopefully it can be adjusted..a new clutch fitted is about 400 pounds ..

hiya Pauly welcome to Mon Tues Wed Thurs ..take ya pick ...did work go ok yesterday?anything more about thisgoon on the internet slagging your employer off?

hiya TG ...hny to you too..hope it all goes well with the client this week for you ...Julies sil ..is in nyc this week ..she went for noo year ..dont know why ..it appeals to me as much as gettin a poke in the eye ..but each to their own ...sounds like you are doing a fair bit of travelling ..do you fly or drive? take care

hia to everyone else too..

hope you have a good day

"Can you blow into the breathalyser sir,
                              Keep blowing, keep blowing keep going ok stop"
                              As we waited for the reading I thought "I'm fcked now having just drank 7 pints down the oaks"
                              "I'm pleased to say you have blown negative sir" said the obviously dissapointed copper.
                              I said "wait till I get my hands on that git of a landlord"

First day back in work, and everyone’s asked me if I’ve had a good new year.

It’s the 2nd of January - I don’t know because this year hasn’t yet concluded.

It's 5 years today since Velcro inventor George De Mestrel died!..RIP.

My Doctor reckons i'm going deaf! I didn't expect to hear that!

Oh dear, Andy Murray is now officially sht at tennis ranked at 250 in the world now.

Never mind, at least he's still higher placed than Scotland's football team.

As Alexander Graham Bell put the ear piece to his ear and taped the number, he waited for the click, he knew it had connected, then the worlds first telephone call started with the voice on the other end saying,

"Your call is important to us, please hold for the next available operator...."

I've got a small forked branch, I use it to hold my can of brand name orangeade.

It's Fantastick!

Reasons Trump won't be assassinated
                              #1, he is too dumb to go to a theatre
                              #2, democrats won't shoot him because then they would have to admit guns are useful

Comment

Morning all - quick post, as I am dashing today. I love reading all the great advice about self-reflection, stopping and coming back into ourselves instead of letting our minds run things, gratitude, breathing... all such good reminders. Thanks everyone!

Lav, I had to get my hair cute while out in CA -- it grew so fast and was very shaggy! Luckily I found a great person - walk-in on New Year's Eve., unbelievable. Mick, most of our trips are via airplane and then renting a car... this time (seeing family in 2 different locations) we had such early flights that we had to stay at the airport a night ahead. Then lots of planes, shuttles, car rental places (2), etc.... glad that is over with. SK, how is it going? Pauly, today is Thursday (I think)! Det, how is it going for you, feeling better? PPQ, good luck on your plan... lots of support here. Pi, I hope the closing went well; the puzzle sounds lovely. Sam, hope all is well.

Sounds like there are lots of things happening with the planets right now - a bang-up start to the year, with many things turning a positive, enlivening corner this weekend... may it be so! Cheers to all --

Comment

Working...
                                X