may 12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: may 12

Anyone heard of the Eden Project in England?

Eden story, educational charity - Eden Project, Cornwall
    Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

wow this..little band!!hiya all..again a lovely sunny day here yipee ....both rabbits are out playing at the moment ...its 0700...sofar I have put some plants in watered the garden and tidied the garage ...something to be said about light mornings!!
      hiya Lav..how are you doing? hows the walking wounded doing?Yep its a man thing ..to do exactly as you are told ...not!!I bet if they had said ..run about like a madman dont sit down ,do whatever you want ..he would have been ok!!glad you enjoyed your lunch out ..

hiya Sam...Ive been to the Eden project ..I guess about 7 times now ..Including when it was getting built ..Its near St Austell,where we used to go camping ..it is a brilliant experience ,tropical rainforest ,birds butterfly house different veggies and plants growing ..its a full day if not more out.hows you doing mate?

big hi to everyone else.

1. Christian Bale reportedly studied Tom Cruise’s mannerisms to prepare for his role as a serial killer Patrick Bateman in American Psycho.

2. Gene Autry is the only person to be awarded stars in all five categories on the Hollywood Walk of Fame (film, television, music, radio, and live performance).

3. The word “PEZ” comes from the German word for peppermint – PfeffErminZ.

4. The hashtag symbol is technically called an octothorpe.

5. There are 11 U.S. states have land farther south than the most northern point of Mexico.

6. There is a Boring, Oregon and a Dull, Scotland. They have been sister cities since 2012.

7. Actress Nichelle Nichols, who played Lieutenant Uhura in the original Star Trek, almost quit the show after one season, but was persuaded to stay on by Martin Luther King Jr., who felt the role was important to the Civil Rights Movement.

8. The term “soccer” does not originate in America. The word is from Britain, where it was derived from a short form of “Association Football.”

9. Defeated only once in roughly 300 matches, President Abraham Lincoln was inducted into the National Wrestling Hall Of Fame in 1992.

10. The Sahara is the largest non-polar desert in the world. It is comparable in size to China or the United States.

11. It’s been said that nearly 3% of the ice in Antarctic glaciers is penguin urine.

12. The first tiger shark to hatch inside of its mother’s womb eats all the other embryos of its siblings. Even scientists admit that this is an unusual mode of survival.

13. The the Kola Superdeep Borehole in Russia is the world’s deepest hole. It is 7.5 miles deep, but interestingly, only 9 inches wide.

14. King Henry VIII had a “Groom of the Stool”, whose job was to monitor and assist in the King’s bowel motions. The role remained in existence until King Edward VII abolished it in 1901.

15. With an average height of about 13,000 feet and stretching for 4,300 miles, the Andes Mountains are the longest continental mountain range in the world.

16. High heeled shoes were originally created for men.

17. The word “orange” was first used to describe the fruit, not the color.

18. Up to 12 million Dum Dums are made every single day.

19. Kenny Baker, who played R2-D2 in the Star Wars franchise, once called Anthony Daniels, or C-3PO, “the rudest man” he’s ever met.

20. Whether measuring by size (0.17 sq mi) or population (1,000), Vatican City is the smallest country in the world.

21. In 1916, Jeanette Rankin became the first female member of Congress in America, four years before women were given the right to vote.

22. Baby porcupines are called “porcupettes”.

23. Mount Rushmore almost featured the heads of famous American West heroes, like Buffalo Bill Cody, but the lead sculptor argued that the subjects should be more recognizable.

24. At the 1908 Olympics, the Russians showed up 12 days late because they were using the Julian calendar instead of the Gregorian calendar.

25. The Amazon Forest is the largest natural rainforest in the world. At 2.7 million square miles, it covers 40% of South America.

26. China owns nearly all of the pandas in the world, even the ones you see at zoos. They rent them out for about $1 million a year.

27. Beer is one of the oldest recorded recipes in the world, with documentations of the beverage dating back to around 5,000 BC and the ancient Egyptians.

28. Lasting only 38 minutes, the Anglo-Zanzibar War of 1896 is generally considered to be the shortest war in history.

29. Bubble Wrap was originally intended to be used as 3D wallpaper.

30. Due to a discrepancy over border recognition between Egypt and Sudan, there is a region in Africa called Bir Tawil that belongs to no country.

31. At 3’7″, Eddie Gaedel was the smallest Major League Baseball player of all time. He walked in his only plate appearance.

32. Valles Marineris, a canyon on Mars, would stretch from from Los Angeles to the Atlantic coast if it were on Earth.

33. Serial killer Ted Bundy once received a commendation from the Seattle Police Department for chasing down a purse snatcher.

34. Americans consume around 150 million hot dogs on 4th of July each year.

35. The Caspian Sea is the largest enclosed inland body of water on Earth.

36. Lord Byron allegedly kept a pet bear in his dorm room while studying at Cambridge University.

37. Geologic activity around the Ring of Fire is responsible for roughly 90% of all earthquakes worldwide.

38. During World War II, Queen Elizabeth II, then an 18-year-old princess, trained in London as a mechanic and military truck driver.

39. The heart of a shrimp is located in its head.

40. Canada has more lakes than anywhere in the world. 9% of the country is covered in fresh water.

41. President Richard Nixon was at Disney World when he infamously proclaimed, “I am not a crook.”
      af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

morning all
        looks like another stellar day, yesterday was a beaut.

Mick, sounds like an interesting place. I wondered if you had gone there. Looks like an enclosed environment? I've been doing well, working and enjoying my time.
        Lav, had TWOblacksnakes in one of my hen houses yesterday. I was able to get one of them out of there. I'm afraid the other is still in there, it was at a bad place to get.

got 2 new bee hives going this year, they seem to be happy in there new location. I spent a little extra $$ and got nuts, which is a small established hive. These things are hard to keep alive any more, too many pests and too much round up being sprayed everywhere.

waves to you all, Pauly, Let, TG, Pie, SK, PQ, and all others I might have inadvertently forgot!!
        Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Mae everybody, interesting facts Mick Sam, those black snakes give me the creeps! PQ,hope you're feeling better,Lav,that's terrible about YB's stitches is he like Mick and always on the go? Waves to all and wishes for a great BF Thursday!
          I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
          Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Good evening folks,

I guess I finally convinced my patient to stop being a stubborn ass, haha!! No bleeding from that fresh wound today & it looks OK says retired nurse Lav
            Beautiful day but I hear the heat is making an appearance the next two day SO the AC will be switched on. I’m such a weenie when it comes to hot, humid weather. I had to banish my oldest chicken from the flock today. I’ve had it with her mean girl ways, picking on everyone else in the flock. I’m going to keep her away from the flock & let the natural pecking order take over so there will be a new queen chicken in a day or two. There’s no way I’ll ever be able to introduce the young ones into the group with that mean bitch in there, LOL

Mick, it was a better day here all around. I have heard of the Eden project, thought it would be fascinating.

Sam, I hear the locals on FB c/o black snakes this week. I haven’t seen one yet but I sure I will soon enough. My grandsons were happy to take the shedded snake skins home that we found a while back

Pauly, I’ve got everything under control here. Sick/injured people vget good care from me but I don’t take any BS, haha!! YB has a hard time doing ‘nothing’, so he is like Mick I guess!!

Hello to the rest of the group & hope everyone has a good night!
            Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

MAE ALL...

Well, thought I was on the mend as I felt pretty good this morning but slowly went down hill during the day. I do think I know what the culprit is though. When I stood up my right calf was really tight and sore. When I looked down it was covered in a dark/bright red rash. Doc said it was a bacterial infection that entered through a cut on my heal from the psoriasis outbreak I had. I'm now on heavy duty antibiotics 4 times a day so that should cure anything that's going on. Still feeling a little wiped out but will be back posing regularity soon.

Have a good night all....:smile:PPQP

Comment

hope you're feeling better soon, PQ
                Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Mae all -

PPQ, that sounds dangerous! I hope you feel better soon - take care and wishing you speedy healing.

Lav, good luck with the over-active YB and the mean girl chicken! And I hope you don't run into any snakes, sheesh. Actually, this dentist is close to where we are going to be, so a better choice. (Dental care up here in no-where's-vile is not stellar.)

Pauly, great to see you! How are your allergies doing? I hope they are going away...

Sam, great job with the bees - thank heavens people like you are doing the good work.

Mick, loved the pictures! Everything seems like it is really coming along nice,y.

Det, hope all is well.

Hello to all others!

I am working away here, solidly. A big day tomorrow with the house, so after my morning client I will be spending some more time to get all prepared. The night before last I was awakened by the moon outside of my window, doing a fabulous light show as dark clouds filtered it out and then moved of so it could shine brightly. It was like a signal light - I swear it was trying to tell me something... anyway, I felt like I was bathing in the moonlight in the room. A lucky moment...

Wishing all a fine Friday and good weekend. I'll try to drop back in when I can.

Comment

morning all
                    saw an interesting sight yesterday, pileated woodpecker nest with babies and the mother feeding them. Tried to take pics with my phone but couldn't really get a good one, too far away. any way here's my attempt, it IS a good pic of a dead sycamore with a hole in it.

IMG_2646.jpg
                    Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Originally posted by porqoui View Post
                      MAE ALL...

Well, thought I was on the mend as I felt pretty good this morning but slowly went down hill during the day. I do think I know what the culprit is though. When I stood up my right calf was really tight and sore. When I looked down it was covered in a dark/bright red rash. Doc said it was a bacterial infection that entered through a cut on my heal from the psoriasis outbreak I had. I'm now on heavy duty antibiotics 4 times a day so that should cure anything that's going on. Still feeling a little wiped out but will be back posing regularity soon.

Have a good night all....:smile:PPQP
                      Omg PQ! That's scary hope you heal quickly,that just sounds awful
                      I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                      Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

evening all...how are you then ?didnt post earlier I was out on a bimble ...felt it a bit,but enjoyable

Screenshot_20190517-132615_MapMyWalk.jpg

IMG_20190517_072531.jpg

download (1).jpg

hope everyone is well...hope things are better with you ppqp....you take care ofyourself
                        af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Good evening folks,

Warm day here but it’s raining lightly now.
                          Good news on YB’s pathology reports, all negative. Big sigh of relief here, believe me. I told him he no longer has any excuse to be in such a low mood ~ we’ll see if that helps

Mick, great job on your hike & very nice pics, thanks!

Sam, love baby birds of all kinds, that’s cool.
                          I hope your bees are doing well.

Pauly, I hope your day has been good

Cyn, yeah, having a decent dentist is vital. I’d travel a distance to see one too if I had to.
                          YB still had a tiny bit of bleeding from that final surgery today but nothing bad. I think it has more to do with the diagonal slant of the incision itself than anything else. We all have to use certain muscles just to sit or stand. I think it will be fine. Monday he’s going to have the sutures removed from the large cut he had done a week ago yesterday. So everything is falling in line as it should. Hope your weekend is a good one.

PQ, I sure hope you are on the mend :hug:
                          Take good care of yourself.

Hello to Det & everyone else.

Have a nice night everyone!
                          Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

MAE ALL...

Mick...some bimble! Is the horse picture out your backyard? Unbelievable what those antibiotics can do. Could hardly stand on my leg last night but this morning although it's still a bit tight it's a world of better. I was actually able to think today. Think I've been in a fog since Sunday. Will try to catch up on the post or just carry on from here, see how I feel.

Pauly...thanks. it kinda freaked me out when I saw my leg and then this big rash spreading up to knee. Ew! Hope all is good with you.

Sam...thanks and yes I've definitely turn the corner, just in time for the long weekend. Gotta say can't see the woodpecker but it is a superb pick of a sycamore and what a hole! lol

TG...thanks I'm on the mend. Sorry I haven't been keeping up, are you heading out soon?

Lav...I haven't been keeping up with your posts either but I've been keeping you busy with my sister's surprise. What a super job you did on the sweatshirt. If it's ok with you I'd like to post a pic of it.

Now that my appetite is back I have to figure out to have for supper, duh. Hope we all have a good evening....:smile:PPQP

Comment

hiya all ...how are we today then?good I hope ..warm over here yet again,so been in the garden..aching a bit you would think I would have more sense than move stones ,but no ..I havent .anyway ,they are moved ..I bought 2 dwarf cherry trees..they are already fruited
                              bit late for a brew ,never mind..

Lav..brilliant news ..well done on those results ..yep the low moods are no moods!..hows the chicken in the cold ?is it still being isolated? hope your weekend is going well.

hiya ppqp..how are you feeling?good I hope.The horse was in a field as I trundled past at daft o clock ..it kind of looked at me as if to say get back to bed you silly old fool!glad you are on the mend.

hiya tree ...hows you then?good I hope ..my dentist is an hours drive away ,but I am happy with that ..he is good at his job and has done all the work so he knows the score.I felt yesterday a bit ..a pretty steep climb to start with but completed it .

hiya pauly ..hope all is good with you?

hiya sam da man you ok too ..I saw the deer again this morning..on the path at the side of the houses ..

My husband bought me a mood ring for Christmas.

When I'm in a good mood it turns green.

When I'm in a bad mood, it leaves a red mark on his forehead.

Stress Management

Just in case you've had a rough day, here is a stress management technique recommended in all the latest psychological texts. The funny thing is that it really works.

1. Picture yourself near a stream.

2. Birds are softly chirping in the cool mountain air.

3. No one but you knows your secret place.

4. You are in total seclusion from the hectic place called "the world."

5. The soothing sound of a gentle waterfall fills the air with a cascade of serenity.

6. The water is crystal clear.

7. You can easily make out the face of the person you're holding underwater.

An Australian, and Irishman and a Scouser were sitting in a bar. There was only one other person in the bar. The three men kept looking at this other man, for he seemed terribly familiar. They stared and stared, wondering where they had seen him before when suddenly the Irishman cried out :

My God! I know who that man is - it's Jesus!" The others looked again, and sure enough, it was Jesus himself, sitting alone at a table.

The Irishman calls out across the lounge : "Hey! Hey you! Are you Jesus"? Jesus looks over at him, smiles a small smile and nods his head. "Yes, I am Jesus", he says.

Well, the Irishman calls the bartender over and says to him: "I'd like you to give Jesus over there a pint of Guinness from me". The bartender pours Jesus a Guinness. Jesus looks over, raises his glass in thanks and drinks.

Then the Australian calls out : "Oy you! D'ya reckon you're Jesus or what?" Jesus nods and says : "Yes, I am Jesus". The Australian is mighty impressed and has the bartender send over a pot of Fosters for Jesus which Jesus accepts with pleasure.

The Scouser then calls out : "Oii whack, would you be Jesus"? Jesus smiles and says : "Yes, I am Jesus". The Scouser beckons the bartender and tells him to send over a pint of bitter for Jesus, which the bartender duly does. As before, Jesus accepts the drink and smiles over at the table.

Finally, after finishing the drinks, Jesus leaves his seat and approaches our three friends. He reaches for the hand of the Irishman and shakes it, thanking him for the Guinness. When he lets go, the Irishman gives a cry of amazement:

"Oh God! The arthritis is gone! The arthritis I've had for years is gone! It's a miracle"! Jesus then shakes the Australian's hand, thanking him for the lager.

Upon letting go, the Australian's eyes widen in shock: "By jingo mate, the migraine! The migraine I've had for 40 years is completely gone it's a miracle"!!!

Jesus then goes to approach the Scouser who says: "Back off, mate! I'm on Disability"!

The teacher gave her fifth grade class an assignment:

Get their parents to tell them a story with a moral at the end of it. The next day the kids came back and one by one began to tell their stories.

Ashley said, "My father's a farmer and we have a lot of egg laying hens. One time we were taking our eggs to market in a basket on the front seat of the pickup when we hit a big bump in the road and all the eggs went flying and broke and made a mess. " What's the moral of the story?" asked the teacher. "Don't put all your eggs in one basket!" "Very good," said the teacher.

Next little Sarah raised her hand and said, "Our family are farmers too. But we raise chickens for the meat market. We had a dozen eggs one time, but when they hatched we only got ten live chicks, and the moral to this story, don't count your chickens before they're hatched."

"That was a fine story, Sarah." "Michael, do you have a story to share?" "Yes, ma'am, my daddy told me this story about my Aunt Karen. Aunt Karen was a flight engineer in Desert Storm and her plane got hit. She had to bail out over enemy territory and all she had was a bottle of whiskey, a machine gun and a machete. She drank the whiskey on the way down so it wouldn't break and then she landed right in the middle of 100 enemy troops. She killed seventy of them with the machine gun until she ran out of bullets. Then she killed twenty more with the machete till the blade broke. And then she killed the last ten with her bare hands."

"Good heavens," said the horrified teacher, what kind of moral did your daddy tell you from that horrible story?"

"Stay the fck away from Aunt Karen when she's been drinking.

This is allegedly an actual job application that a 75-year-old pensioner submitted to B & Q in Tunbridge Wells.

They hired him because he was so funny.....

NAME: Kenneth Way (Grumpy Bastard)

SEX: Not lately, but I am looking for the right woman (or at least one who will cooperate)

DESIRED POSITION: Company's Chief Executive or Managing Director. But seriously, whatever's available. If I was in a position to be picky, I wouldn't be applying in the first place - would I?

DESIRED SALARY: £150,000 a year plus share options and a Tony Blair style redundancy package. If that's not possible, make an offer and we can haggle.

EDUCATION: Yes.

LAST POSITION HELD: Target for middle management hostility.

PREVIOUS SALARY: A lot less than I'm worth.

MOST NOTABLE ACHIEVEMENT: My incredible collection of stolen pens and post-it notes.

REASON FOR LEAVING: It was a crap job.

HOURS AVAILABLE TO WORK: Any.

PREFERRED HOURS: 1:30-3:30 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday.

DO YOU HAVE ANY SPECIAL SKILLS?: Yes, but they're better suited to a more intimate environment.

MAY WE CONTACT YOUR CURRENT EMPLOYER?: If I had one, would I be here?

DO YOU HAVE ANY PHYSICAL CONDITIONS THAT WOULD PROHIBIT YOU FROM LIFTING UP TO 50 lbs.?: Of what?

DO YOU HAVE A CAR?: I think the more appropriate question here would be "Do you have a car that runs?"

HAVE YOU RECEIVED ANY SPECIAL AWARDS OR RECOGNITION?: I may already be a winner of the Reader's Digest Timeshare Free Holiday Offer, so they tell me.

DO YOU SMOKE?: On the job - no!
                              On my breaks - yes!

WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE DOING IN FIVE YEARS?: Living in the Bahamas with a fabulously wealthy Swedish supermodel with big tits and who thinks I'm the greatest thing since sliced bread.
                              Actually, I'd like to be doing that now.

NEAREST RELATIVE....7 miles

DO YOU CERTIFY THAT THE ABOVE IS TRUE AND COMPLETE TO THE BEST OF YOUR

KNOWLEDGE?: Oh yes, absolutely.

Comment

Happy Sat ABeroooooskies near and far!!!

what a loverly day we are having... sunny, breezy, got some fancy cheeses, my sweetheart will be here in
                                a couple hours to do some homework. which is code for ________ the heck out of each other until we are happily
                                exhausted. then, taking her as my date this eve to my cousins graduation party which is being catered by a taco
                                maker guy, whatever you call that. tacomeister sounds wrong. taco-slinger sounds good to me.
                                So yes, things are downright awesome over here.

PPQ, yikes hon, really got to be careful with infections on the extremities...sounds like you're on track though.

Mick, new trees and all... very nice. A 24km walk? nicely done mate!

Lav, that's superb news on YB. a relief I'm sure.

Tree, the moon has indeed been amazing. Glad you are enjoying it amidst your toils on the house.

Sam, yes good tree pic woodpeckers are so cool. I managed a good pic of a red waxwing a few years ago.
                                You spend so much time in lovely nature areas...gotta get you a camera with some zoom for birding eh?

Pauly, work drama calm? hope all is well hon

scored one of those cool magnifying desk lamps today at a yard sale. spiffy stainless steel one.

well, must tidy the condo for my special visitor.

be well loves!
                                nosce te ipsum
                                (Know Thyself)

Comment

Working...
                                X