30 October

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30 October

I think trick or treating in this neighborhood was yesterday, but I didn’t get any trick or treaters at the door. And I didn’t buy any candy. Bah humbug!

PQ, yes I do admire your ability to keep a sense of humor about the accountant! May as well laugh instead of getting angry!

Lav, how nice that you and your home is a safe spot for your grandsons to come and get some individual time, food, and nurturing.
    I took another look at Daisy, and that is one cute kitten!
    Only one more week until the craft fair?

Welcome home, TG. It has to feel good after all that traveling.

My cold is moving right along. Hopefully it will be most of the way gone before I babysit the baby again on Tuesday. No, I didn’t know he was sick. He did sneeze once or twice though. And then fell sick the next day.
    I can’t eat hardly anything because of endless reflux. I’m going to see a naturopath, homeopathic type doctor tomorrow, to see if I have a hiatal hernia that can be shifted.
    I’m using a Blood Flow Stimulation Therapy knee wrap, which sends heat into my knee, several times a day to try to heal any strained ligaments & such around my knee replacement knee. Well it can’t hurt, and might help.
    I continue using my walker and doing PT exercises as I wait for the fracture in the other leg near knee to heal.

Hopefully Mick finds a treasure that makes it worth getting up & out so early!
    Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Re: 30 October

hiya all...thats me just back from detecting ...long day ...We changed the clocks last night ,but I forgotto change the projection clock..I was getting up at 4 ...looked at the time 3,30..so I thought get up and shower ..to find out it was 2.30am...oh well .found some roman bronzes ,2 silver cut half coins that are about 600 years old ..I also found a little silver ring I thought was a washer ...but Ill go into that tomorrow...hope everyone is doing good .
    af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Greetings friends,

Thanks for starting up the new week Slo.
      I’m really hoping for some good healing for you this week!!! Yep, craft fair is next Saturday, fun times. Supposed to show up by 7 am to set up - we’ll see about that, haha! I do appreciate my grandson living close enough for them to call & ask if they can hangout. They were always good company for me.

Mick, changing clocks should be so simple but it usually isn’t. I can remember getting my kids to Sunday school an hour early - oops, haha!
      Sounds like your trip was worthwhile, glad to hear that.

PQ, hope your day was a good. One.

Cyn, hope you had an easy & restful Sunday which you really deserve.

Hello to all & wishing everyone a nice night.
      Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Mae all -

Mick, your “finds” all sound exciting! I’ve never heard of a 1/2 coin - although maybe that’s what is meant by a hay-penny? Hope your good weather holds for a bit.

Lav - working, and cooking, and minding all the animals - you are amazing. Good luck this week on all your orders!

SLO - sounds like you have a lot going on... I hope that you continue to heal well, and get more strength. Good luck this week with the baby.

PPQ - here’s hoping you have had a quiet weekend... And best if luck on the week to come —

I didn’t do too much today... though I did take flowers out to my families’ grave sites (before All Saints on Tuesday). I had to clean off my grandmother’s stone - it was covered in weeds, I could hardly find it... but finally uncovered it and cleaned it up. I laid fresh flowers there and where my parents are buried... I found a downy white feather on the ground near their graves, I always feel that it is a good sign...
        I don’t really go in for Halloween, but since I’m in an apartment building I don’t have to worry about any “trick or treaters“ anyway...

Wishing all well-
        TG

Comment

Hiya all how are we today then?hope all is well with everyone. Cold and dry weather here today, both rabbits are out playing on the lawn.
          Yesterday was good metal detecting..turns out I found not only a couple of cut halves.,but also a Roman button and a vervel ring.never found one of them before. In days gone by, the English gentry used to go hawking, basically using a bird of prey to hunt. The more important you were determined which bird you used.the leash they used to keep the bird to the glove is called a jessie it's looped to the bird's leg by means of a vervel or hawking ring.
          Anyway I found this tiny little ring yesterday .wasn't sure what it was.it was dirty and bent.my friend has one previously and identified it.I very very carefully straightened it and cleaned it. That's when I saw the name. John Williams, and on the other side Denton. Denton is a village in Grantham, in the next county where I had found it..looking at the way the writing is,gave me rough idea on age.Looking through the records I found him.thst little ring is over 400 years old.well chuffed

20221030_180441.jpg

20221030_180512.jpg

Screenshot_20221030-182129_Chrome.jpg

Teegee here is the story of cut coins
          . In their time the penny was just about the lowest denomination coin. It was thought that no round half pennies or farthings ( one quarter of a penny, forthlings) were minted. It as though through metal detecting, been proved, that tiny amounts of both were indeed produced. Anyway back to the reason for cut coins. If all you had was pennies in your purse, and a loaf cost half a penny. Then you had a problem, if you didn't want two loaves. Cut halfs and quarters filled the gap, caused by the almost non existence of round half pennies and farthings. I have over the years found many coins that were purposely broken rather than cut. And even today we still use the term break, to describe changing large amounts of money, in to smaller amounts.

That's today's history lesson done. You can all wake up now!!!!
          af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

We are having the most beautiful day here! And I didn’t think the days could get any nicer! I can’t do much in my hobbled state, but I can sit outside and soak up the sun!

Mick, I loved the history lesson! When we went to Ireland to visit daughter D3 studying abroad there, she took us to a hawking place, and we each got to wear the big glove and have the hawk sit upon it right on our arm. Such a big, majestic (and scary!) bird to have so close. And now I know it was attached to the glove by a jessie, which was attached to the hawk by a vervel ring —of which you found a personalized one! And absolutely fascinating how you could trace it back to the actual owner from 400 years ago!
            Last edited by Slo; October 31, 2022, 01:43 PM.

Comment

TG, how wonderful that you got your grandmother’s grave all cleared & cleaned up. Maybe the feather is from her. You & Lav are both thoughtful that way about your family graves.

I went back to a naturopathic, homeopathic type doctor today, and am I glad I did! I told him I thought I had a hiatal hernia, and he said I did indeed, and pushed it out and back in place! He found a bulging disc in my lower back, and pushed it back in place! Noticed that, near where I fractured my leg, the head of my fibula bone was out of place, and he pushed it back in place! This only makes sense, as I fell onto the head of the fibula (lateral side of the knee). But all the orthopedic surgeon says is “It’s an impacted fracture”- -and intends to leave it that way! This guy also stretched my neck, got the kinks out of my neck & the kinks out of my upper back, worked on my gallbladder, improved blood flow to my stomach, worked on my knee replacement knee…a REAL tune-up! I’m in a better position to heal now.

Hope PQ is having a good day at work today, and Lav at her embroidery machine!
              Last edited by Slo; October 31, 2022, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Happy Halloween all,

Dark & raining here, feel bad for the kids but what can you do?
                All zoo residents are doing fine & I’m still busy getting ready for the weekend fair. I told a lady today that I was too busy this week to take any more orders so she said she come see me Saturday at the fair, Lol.

Cyn. I woke up in such a foggy state this morning & couldn’t understand why my bedside clock read 4:20 am when there was definitely daylight on the. Other side of my curtains. Turns out someone took ∂own a utility pole some time last night & we were on generator power for several hours. Totally confusing, haha! It just feels right to go to the family graves, make sure everything os OK & leave flowers when possible. There is absolutely no one else in our families that bother which is sad.

Mick, thanks for the inside info on the coins, stuff we would never get to know over here.
                Glad the bunnies got some outside time

Slo, wow you really hit the jackpot with that doc. I hope all that manipulation works & you continue to heal.
                My daughter had just turned 14 & went on a ski trip with friends. It was her first time on skis & some wild out of control skier knocked. Her down, dislocated her knee & she had a chip fracture of teh femur. The ortho tried to remove remove the chip with an arthroscope but it was too big & he had to open her knee. That was the end of her desire to ski!! Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

PQ, what’s up today?

Hello to all & wishing everyone a nice might!
                Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

MAE ALL...

Had a lovely, work free weekend and the weather was great. A bit windy at times but no snow and we were above freezing. Sun came out for awhile today and we're sitting at about 3C which is pretty good for the little ghosts and goblins. Boss decided to have a safe Trick-or-Treating stop at the community centre from 5 - 7pm. He bought $500 worth of candy, I really hope he was kidding about that, but there is a lot. Weather turning tomorrow with snow on the way and temps staying below freezing. Reality is setting in.

Slo...I learned the hard way. My nemesis was always the program coordinator and I would really get wound up. The boss at the time was always on her side (to the point where we thought they were sleeping together) and I eventually told the board I was going to resign. Nope, they would not accept my resignation and plans were in the works to sort everything out. Then the boss quit, moved onto a different job and the program coordinator went on Long Term Disability. Two birds with one stone. LOL I'm impressed with the care you got from the homeopathic type doctor and I hope it helps you to heal quicker.

TG...I'm glad you had a quiet day, you deserved it. My parents are not buried anywhere but we did have some family traditions that all us kids follow to this day. It seems to bring them close. I had to look up a white feather at a gravesite and found A white feather be your Angel telling you that any loved ones in heaven are safe and well. What a nice thought. I don't get any kids for Halloween at the condo complex and that's ok. Too many steps to go up and down! LOL

Mick...glad you were able to get out detecting yesterday. How interesting about the vervel ring. You did a great job straightening and cleaning it up, looks great. I love your history lessons, I learn so much. Glad the peskies are still able to be outdoors and that they're doing so well.

Lav...I think snow would be easier than rain on Halloween. Do you get any kids? I guess you won't be busy after Saturday. LOL Waking up with light outside at 4:20 am would be confusing. LOL Glad to hear all zoo animals are doing good. I had a good day today. Got all the Winter programing uploaded to the website and published today, my goal was Nov 1st. For the last 2 weeks participants have been coming to the office wondering when the information would be available. Obviously my work with the programs is proving to be positive.

Thinking of Det, Sam & Pauly...you too Pi.

Reworking my budget and trying to use up things in the house so it's Tuna Casserole for supper tonight. LOL Hope we all have a restful evening....:smile:PPQP

Comment

Hello all -

Well such interesting news from all-

Mick, the things you found are so valuable and interesting!!! Thx for taking the time to let us know all the history... it’s always so fascinating... I wish I lived in a country with that much history close at hand. (In a way, I do of course - all the land here close to the banks of the Missouri River used to be the land of the native tribes... the cemetery where my family is buried is part of that land... it feels sacred...)

Lav, sending you strength to get through this week for a bang-up sale on Saturday!! I know it will go well.

SLO - wow, I wish I could drop by and see that doc! My body has always done best with that kind of help... since I am in a new town, I haven’t found anyone yet... it’s on the list. Congrats on feeling better.

PPQ - glad to hear that things are humming along for you - you deserve it! Good job on “shopping” in your cupboards- always a fine thing to do!

I haven’t quite bounced back from my trip, so I am taking things slowly (in between grocery shopping, getting things in the mail, etc. etc.)
                    I lit cables for the traditional Celtic “Samhain” (original Hallow E’en) so I’m enjoying the flicker of candies... feels peaceful.

Hello to Pauly, Det, Sam and all others dropping by -
                    TG

Comment

Hello everyone and how are we today then? Hope all is well. We are currently in the middle of yet another storm comma and apparently there are 100 mph winds down south. So much for living down south! All good here today day Julie's dad's boiler broke so the tank had to be replaced. All done now. Both rabbits are doing ok, so I do still have to keep an eye on Jeeves, he had a sore tummy this morning it was pretty obvious so medication given.

Hiya ppqp and how are you today then? Hope all is well. It absolutely hammered down with rain last night, so that put an end to trick or treat and my brussel sprouts covered in chocolate! Only kidding. So your boss spent $500 on Candy? Wow how is that going to be accounted for. We are supposed to be getting snow next week, but they said that last week as well so wait and see. Hope you have a good day

Hiya slo how are you today then? It sounds like you had a complete work over and and inspection! Hope you feel better after it all interesting about the hernia, I didn't know no that you could push it back in I thought it had to be an operation job, something I am staying well away from. I know someone that had a hernia operation and it really went badly wrong so no thanks. You take care are and have a good day

Hiya teegee, glad you are taking things a bit easier. Yes there is a lot of history over here, I was reading about the world history and its formation a couple of weeks ago. Did you know Scotland was actually joined to North America? They have discovered and established that the mountain ranges or the cuillins as they are called on Isle of Skye why are exactly the same composition of materials as those in North America. Not bad over a million years putting the world together and we managed to screw up in less than 500! Yes I have been watching Yellowstone and the series 1886 and it goes on about the sacred Indian tribal grounds. Glad you are taking the time to recover take care and look after yourself

Hiya lav and how are you today then? How is the cat family doing? I saw the pictures they're absolutely brilliant. It is a while since I have been to the family grave I need to go and make sure it is tidy. Best of luck at your fair this weekend and, though with the quality of goods you make luck shouldn't enter into it.

Right good people time to go, I am doing this on my phone and the battery is down to 9% so me thinks I better charge it take care and look after yourselves

Comment

Good evening friends,

We had a taste of September weather today, sunny & warm, nice!
                        Still working on fair stuff but I see the light at the end of the tunnel, haha! Saturday’s weather is supposed to be nice so that should help a lot.

PQ, you guys will probably have a ton of leftover candy to share, haha!
                        Sorry about your snow forecast, too soon for me. I made this for dinner, much faster than the traditional stuffed cabbage but the same great flavor. Stuffed Cabbage Casserole Recipe Made Low-Carb

Cyn, it will take some time to catch up with everything since you were away for so long. I hope your weather holds up so you can get out when you want.
                        So far the dog seems OK with Daisy, just curious & doing a lot of sniffing. Haha. Byut YB’s grumpy 12+ year old cat hisses when she sees the kitten so I can’t leave them in a room together for now. Hopefully she’ll warm up to the little one in tine.

Mick, it’s hard to believe that our lands were once connected. That would make for a much smaller world in a way
                        Good to keep a close eye on Jeeves & act before things get serious. Have been thinking about all the lost family today & will get out to the grave sites soon.

Slo, how are you doing today after that major adjustment? Hope you are doing well.
                        Any news on your newest grandson yet?

Hello to Pauly, Det & Sam.

Be well everyone!
                        Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09

Comment

MAE ALL...

Woke up to a snowfall warning for Calgary. It started raining around noon (temps sitting at the freezing mark) and turned to snow before I headed home from work. That means my car will be frozen in the morning. Geeze. It's supposed to snow all night and all day tomorrow/tomorrow night. Winter has arrived. LOL

Mick...our winds are supposed to start gusting and with the snowfall visibility could be dicey. Glad I'm not going anywhere. Glad you were able to get the boiler fixed, seems if it's not one thing it's another. You are so good about being on top of things with Jeeves. :heartbeat: Oooh, never thought of putting chocolate on my brussel sprouts. LOL I'm sure the accountant will let me know where the boss expensed the candy to. As frustrating as she is, she does share a lot of information. Thought I was on top of everything Winter Program wise until the boss sent an email saying there will be Learn to Skate programs with his 3 children as instructors. So I had more work to do. Showed the email to the accountant and right away, "How can he do that? Where was the 3 quotes from instructors? How much is he paying them? Did they sign a contract?" So basically she's on it. LOL

Lav...so glad your weather forecast is looking good, it would be a different story up here. It looks like we got about 30 kids and yes there was lots left over. The staff helped themselves this morning before the boss got in. LOL Thank you so much for the Cabbage Casserole recipe. I love cabbage and haven't had it since my sister passed away. I will let you know how it works out for me.

Shout out to Sam, Det, Pauly, TG and Slo. Have a good night all...:smile:PPQP

Comment

Mae all - thanks for all your news... this will very short tonight, as I am tired of having to cooy my longer posts, be bumped out and have to log in again to post (on my phone).., long day on computer, I am learning how to launch an online class... Not for the faint of heart!
                            Good luck to all - hoping Jeeves and everyone stays well and happy...
                            Cheers,
                            TG

Comment

Here we are in November!

I have a new grandson! Daughter D3 had her first on October 30! A nice 7 1/2 pound boy. So happy for them, and me! They live kind of far away, so I won’t actually meet him until Thanksgiving time in U.S.

Yesterday was my day to babysit my 4-month-old grandson. What a nice day of snuggles. Since I’m hobbled, thankfully I’m not expected to do anything more than that! He’s been taking a bottle really well. He’s starting to recognize me!

Comment

Working...
                              X