6th of August

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6th of August

mae all ,how are you doing? hope all is well.Sunny today,so been out in the garden ,weeding planting and generally having fun ,both the furballs have been out ..love to say they were helping but nope ...dossing in the sun.and I burnt the strimmer out too,so need a new one now .

hiya Lav ,how are you doing?Ive seen posts since my last one from teegee,slo,you and thats it ...dont know if anyone else posted.Yep lo diet food for a while ,eggs n chicken ,but guess what ...french fries ..(chips ) done in the air fryer are allowed .The microwave nowadays is a pretty good ornament...We are working out the next trip in the van ,end of this month for 16 days ..roughly ,

Beadnell Bay ,then on to Edinburgh ,over to Falkirk to see the Kelpies and the Falkirk wheel,then to Vindolanda on Hadrians wall...

hiya Slo ,sorry that your sister wasnt too impressed,sometimes you cant do right for wrong !Yes Im really chuffed about my brother .hope the rest of your weekend goes well.

hiya teegee ,how are you doing today? Its bound to be emotional,treasure those memories, and make more if you can .

A little boy was doing his math homework.
    He said to himself, "Two plus five, that son of a bitch is seven.
    Three plus six, that son of a bitch is nine."
    His mother heard what he was saying and gasped, "What are you doing?"
    The little boy answered, "I'm doing my math homework, Mom."
    "And this is how your teacher taught you to do it?" the mother asked.
    "Yes," he answered.
    Infuriated, the mother asked the teacher the next day, "What are you teaching my son in math?"
    The teacher replied, "Right now, we are learning addition."
    The mother asked, "And are you teaching them to say two plus two, that son of a bitch is four?"
    After the teacher stopped laughing, she answered, "What I taught them was, two plus two, THE SUM OF WHICH, is four."

My parents were really poor.
    On my 12th birthday they put half a cake with six candles up against a mirror.

I?ve just finished building a model of Mount Everest.
    My mate asked ?Is it to scale??
    ?No, ?It?s to look at?

A naked man broke into a church. The police chased him around and finally caught him by the organ.

The man who invented the automatic tennis serving machine, is celebrating his birthday today.
    Many happy returns!

Accidentally took my cat's meds.
    Don't ask meow.

357206169_673328054824510_6069896157003260963_n.jpg

364075735_677017741122208_1039771603666772129_n.jpg

Piano lessons for beginners

365389889_677952227695426_1373856039105201417_n.jpg
    Last edited by Mick; August 6, 2023, 09:39 AM.
    af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Re: 6th of August

Sunday evening greetings,

Warm & sunny here, can’t complain. My favorite season is coming up next
    Nothing spectacular going on here, just holding the fort down & trying to get YB prepared for a minor surgical procedure tomorrow. He’s going to the hospital where I last worked, an hour away. Doesn’t want me driving him so he has a friend driving him to the hospital & daughter & granddaughter will be bringing him home. It would be so much easier if he let me do the driving, haha! We are supposed to be getting big storms tomorrow afternoon & evening so driving will be a chore I guess.

Mick, good news about your brother for sure!
    Can’t believe you’re already planning another trip, wow! I haven’t been anywhere in years, makes me feel like a slug haha! I’m really hooked on the air fryer too, can’t beat it!!

Slo, from what I’m reading it sounds like your sister is looking for a scapegoat. Nothing will change until she works up the nerve to take responsibility for herself & her behavior. We have all been there & know this. I’m sorry, she’s missing out on a lot. Is she still in the hospital with pericarditis? This sounds like the perfect time to turn a new leaf, maybe she will.

Hello to Cyn, hope your day has been a good one.
    Hello to PQ, relaxing like a queen this weekend

Hello to anyone else dropping in tonight & wishing us all a good one.
    Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Ahoy Mateys!

Attempted to start our thread early this morning, but error messages said not happening. Thanks for the kick off, Mick. I?m officially inviting you to Texas because the rain seems to follow you. We?re 30 days and counting since last rainfall. My water wagon is staying busy.

Went to a Kenny Loggins concert Thursday night. Have seen him once before in 1978. Bunch of old folks in the audience; I fit right in.

I can?t recall all I was planning to post this morning, and not enough energy to hike back through last week?s thread now. Off to walk the dog, then have a date with Lincoln Lawyer on Netflix.

Comment

and good morning peeps ,wow only 2 ?hope all is well. I dont know whether anyone else posted or not or is something wrong with the site?there were 27 views ..Sunny morning ,hopefully get some work done .

hiya pie ,nice to see you ....how are things doing with you?Did you enjoy the concert?Didnt he do footloose in Top Gun?Happily accept your invite to the Yellow Rose state ..hope you have a good day .

hiya Lav ,how are you doing?Best of luck with yb s op today ....sunny here too.but we are due storms and then a heatwave allegedly ,Yes ,well chuffed about my brother ...he seems to have got it together with his future plans .Yes this holiday is the one we originally had ,before the whole covid episode we had .going to get some work done in the garden .

hiya slo ppqp ,teegee ,ns ,sf ,Wags and everyone else .
        af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Hey friends,

Figured I’d try a quick post before the internet goes. We’re in the midst of a big storm, rain, wind & a tornado watch, ugh.
          YB did fine with his surgery this afternoon. Daughter & granddaughter brought him home & arrived just before the storms hit. We had an early dinner & they thought they should get home. Only got as far as around the corner here & had to turn around `due to two trees down across the road. They came back & sat awhile & are attempting to get home again, geez. That stuff makes me nervous.

Pie, we’ve had an inch & a half of rain so far today & it’s not over. Wish I could send you some.
          I love live concerts, glad you enjoyed yourself seeing Kenny Loggins. Take care!

Mick, I don’t think you really need a heatwave but I guess we have to share
          I will continue to live thru your stories & pics, thanks. My younger brother told me today that’s he’s found that our dad’s Scottish family (Dunlop) was straight from Ayrshire. He’s been looking at the genealogy stuff, I can’t be bothered haha. Hope yuor day was good!

Hellos to PQ, Cyn, Wags, Slo & everyone. Hope we all have a good night!
          Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Mick, I can’t stop laughing about that Disney sweater joke!!! I have tears in my eyes! And before that “that son of a bitch is 6” was cracking me up!
            I bet the bunnies were happy to be home and out in the garden with you.

We just have endless dry weather here. I’ll have to keep watering and sprinkling.
            Why didn’t YB let you drive him, Lav? Too much driving back & forth?

Kenny Loggins still does concerts?! I remember my grandma trying to be cool and rocking out to Loggins & Messina. I played his lullaby album all the time for Mabel when she was a baby; that was our thing. I love the song “Return to Pooh Corner” -which I guess he wrote when he was still a teenager.

Lav, my sister is out of the hospital after her serious bout with pericarditis: which the cardiologist recognizes is completely because of her drinking!
            As far as getting together with her when daughter comes to town again? I don’t think I’ll bother. Just one more boundary for me to put up of things I won’t do with her, which includes: don’t travel with her, don’t live with her, don’t work with her, don’t hire her for anything, don’t let her stay at my condo, don’t have her pet-sit, try not to drive her places …I’ve been burned in all of those areas by her. She’s an angry, irresponsible drunk. And I’m sick of it, after 30+ years of it.

Today was Huxley day! He’s into everything at this age (13 months), but a little cutie. Grandma got tired again, so we napped at the same time again.
            Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

MAE all - just a quick sober check-in to say hi and let you know all is fine (but still crazy busy) and I miss hanging out here. I've got 4 more challenging days and then my lighter schedule will begin. One of the first things i'll do is read back and get caught up on all of your stories and jokes and storms and grandkids and gardens.

Hope August is treating you all well thus far. Take care and see you in a few days!
              Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

mae all,how are we doing?hope all is well with you.raining here this morning ,so glad I got a fair bit done yesterday ,I managed to wash down the car and the van,but not only that I finished the little wall in the front border .I originally used concrete wall cappings to make the 2 levels ,but it was just rough.I faced them with Yorkshire stone and Lancashire millstone grit to make it look like an original wall.Just got to cement it in .

Ive just booked a treatment for the van ...its booked for next Monday ...so no doubt its going to rain!!machine polish and a ceramic coating ..keeps it shiny ,protects the surface and makes it easier to polish.I got my last van done too,but took it down to Nottingham.

hiya Wags ,how are you doing?Glad things are going ok for you,hope is the same for your dad

hiya Slo,how are things with you today?hope all is well.Yes its great to have the rabbits in the garden....I never cut the grass in the back ,they do that over time..Glad you had a Happy Huxley day.As for your sister ..hard words ...but at the end of the day its down to her .If despite the illness ,she cannot see the harm she is doing to herself and others ,then thats kind of selfish.I have and Julie has a good friend like that ...we have tried everything ,and the world is full of empty promises.but unlesss she switches that light on in her head there is only one way.you never know .When I stopped ,I actually had no intention of it ,but after being seriously ill,and in intensive care ,I eventually got out ...and still drinking ...then suddenly I thought on what had happened,and all that ....the near death ,the care I had been given the work the surgeons doctors and nurses ,then what right had I to undo that work .and I quit .without being dramatic ..I would not have been here .Hopefully the same will go for your sister

hiya Lav ,how are you doing today?have you still got the storms?glad all went well for yb .So your brother traced your family back to Ayrshire?Ive got 2 friends called Dunlop...

s-l500.jpg

I told you ...Jocks can get where water cant !!! hope you have a good day .

a big hello to everyone else.

An undercover cop called at my farm yesterday evening...
                “I need to inspect your farm for illegally grown drugs”, he said.
                “By all means officer, just don’t go in that field over there”, I replied.
                The cop exploded, saying “Do you know who I am?! I have the authority of the government with me!”, he shouted before pulling a badge out of his back pocket, “Do you see this fcking badge?! This badge means I can do what I want and I’ll go wherever the fck I want, have I made myself clear?!”
                I nodded politely, apologised, and went about my work. A short while later, I hear loud screams, looked up and saw the cop running for his life being chased by my angry bull. With each step, the bull was gaining ground and he seemed sure to be gored before he reached safety. The officer looked terrified and continued to run for his life.
                I threw down my tools, immediately ran to the edge of the fence and shouted at the top of my lungs,
                “Your badge, show him your fcking badge!”

My bald mate put two rabbits on his head so from a distance it looks like two hairs

366315078_680079370816045_8452565284003730194_n.jpg

362986895_677953127695336_6070776703795920549_n.jpg

355290890_3258662530945924_5002561357408297416_n.jpg

Comment

Morning all,
                  Enjoying morning coffee outdoors, 6 am, sunrise in about 40 minutes, 83 degrees. I received a letter from electricity provider about a planned power outage for equipment upgrades on Friday for about 5 hours. I can deal with this, especially with notice, so will fire up my generator to power refrigerator and portable AC. Except that in checking with neighbors, no one else had received this notification. Contacted the power company and was told that letter was sent in error. How bizarre!! I?m going to prepare anyway, just in case.

Yes, Kenny Loggins is 75 and still performing, though this tour is billed as his last. Very glad that I went. Dan Folgelberg was another favorite of mine from similar time period. He passed in his early fifties; I regret never having made it to see him in concert.

Slo, im imagining that dealing with your sister is quite awful. We drunks are no fun at all. What a game changer it was to find MWO all those years ago when options were few.

Lav, hope YB recovers smoothly.

Comment

They call us ”The Elderly”
                    We were born in the 40-50-60’s.
                    We grew up in the 50-60-70's.
                    We studied in the 60-70-80's.
                    We were dating in the 70-80-90's.
                    We got married and discovered the world in the 70-80-90's.
                    We venture into the 80-90’s.
                    We stabilize in the 2000’s.
                    We got wiser in the 2010’s.
                    And we are going firmly through and beyond 2020.
                    Turns out we've lived through EIGHT different decades...
                    TWO different centuries...
                    TWO different millennia...
                    We have gone from the telephone with an operator for long-distance calls to video calls to anywhere in the world.
                    We have gone from slides to YouTube, from vinyl records to online music, from handwritten letters to email and Whats App.
                    From live matches on the radio, to black and white TV, colour TV and then to 3D HD TV.
                    We went to the Video shop and now we watch Netflix.
                    We got to know the first computers, punch cards, floppy disks and now we have gigabytes and megabytes on our smartphones.
                    We wore shorts throughout our childhood and then long trousers, Oxfords, flares, shell suits & blue jeans.
                    We dodged infantile paralysis, meningitis, polio, tuberculosis, swine flu and now COVID-19.
                    We rode skates, tricycles, bicycles, mopeds, petrol or diesel cars and now we drive hybrids or electric.
                    Yes, we've been through a lot but what a great life we've had!
                    They could describe us as “exennials”; people who were born in that world of the fifties, who had an analog childhood and a digital adulthood.
                    We've kind of “Seen-It-All”!
                    Our generation has literally lived through and witnessed more than any other in every dimension of life.
                    It is our generation that has literally adapted to “CHANGE”.
                    A big round of applause to all the members of a very special generation, which will be UNIQUE.

Comment

MAE ALL...sorry for missing in action the last 4 days. I unplugged, visited with family and friends and basically did nothing. Back to work tomorrow and for once I have my car! Son in Lethbridge tonight with a co-worker. No sign of the car other son bought yet, son he didn't come home this weekend.

Sorry for not chatting with everyone but I will catch up with you all tomorrow. Gotta get some laundry in. Have good evening all...:smile:PPQP

Comment

Good evening kids

Nice day after a fierce storm last evening. We only lost one tree branch, no big deal. Just dragged it back to our burn pile for the next fire.
                        YB is OK today but hurting after his surgery. I got him a tube of Lidocaine so he can numb his butt LOL
                        Our little hometown (7 miles away) has been without power, all businesses are closed. I believe we had straight line wind damage here & there but no tornado, thank heavens.

Slo, glad you had fun with Huxley
                        I think you’re smart in protecting your boundaries with your sister. Sounds like she is firmly set in denial mode about her drinking. That’s very sad & it’s her decision. She will have to live with the consequences. It’s hard to watch I’m sure. Keep being a shining example of how life improves when we kick AL to the curb.

Hi there Wags! Good to see you. I hope the next few days go by quickly for you!

Mick, my car always needs a good bath but it never gets one, haha! Nice that yo can keep your machine so clean.
                        Good job getting your wall done. So you think I could possibly be a Scottish princess? Apparently I’m not a Polish princess either haha!!!

Pie, I think I’d go to the library or the mall to stay cool while your electric is being upgraded. A full day in this heat without AC would just make me sick, ugh. Hope your plan works out for you.

We are the ‘elderly’ for sure but I really don’t necessarily feel elderly. Turning 70 later this year is freaking me out but when I think back to the 70 year olds I had as patients there’s really no comparison. They were OLD & I’m not LOL

Hello to PQ, Cyn & everyone.
                        Have a nice night all.

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Evening to all,

How perfect that you had an extra long, unplugged weekend, PQ! That’s just what you needed.

There’s a light at the end of the tunnel for sure now, Wags!

I’m freaked out about our next birthdays too, Lav, because I turn 60 right after you turn 70.

These really nice neighbors across the street took me to the entrance area of our condo neighborhood and dug up plants that are going to be destroyed tomorrow when they re-plant that area; took them to my house, and then she dug holes and, with her expertise, planted them all for me! (black-eyed Susan’s and Russian Sage) And he got my hose unstuck from the sprinkler, got a gadget for my hose, a shutoff valve, that he gave me; and tightened my hose to the wall spigot.
                          Such nice people!

Comment

I loved Dan Fogelberg’s music too! Loved his voice and the lyrics and melody of his songs. He’s homegrown from our midwestern area here too. I think it was prostate cancer that took him out at like 57 years old.

I am done with my twin sister. I was near her area, so offered to stop by and get her anything she needed, since she’s recovering from her hospitalization. She said she didn’t need anything, but I could stop by and we could visit outside. Then she lit into me about “the incident” -which was our very nice afternoon at the beach with family! She’s shaking with rage because I said we’d meet at the beach (40 minutes away) at noon, but instead we (me + a daughter & her HB & their baby) got there at 12:20 pm! Accusing me of making it hard for nephew and another daughter (who was inserting herself into our plans) to plan their days
                            because I can’t stick to PLANS, and just livid that I brought up going to a restaurant (I was just wondering if we were thinking of eating at the beach or possibly elsewhere!).
                            And she’s been very angry & hating on me for weeks now over this, ever since this very nice outing that I arranged so that she could have time with D3 & her HB and see baby Andy while they were in town. And we had a lovely time on a perfect beach day!
                            She spends her life hating on me for every little thing she can possibly think of, and I am just done. What does it take for me to realize that this person hates me with an everlasting hatred?! So what if we started out as one zygote that split, and grew together in a womb for nine months, and had a hard delivery because we were holding hands? And shared a room for 18 years, and were confidantes for decades?
                            I am no longer going to be the one for her to dump all of her hatred & anger onto. And deal with all of her endless suicidal ideations and her endless never ending drinking. You don’t want to live? Then don’t. You want to drink? Then do. I don’t care anymore.

Comment

Greetings friends,

Sunny & 84 degrees today, not bad. Tomorrow the rain & humidity returns, oh well.

PQ, glad you had a nice quiet weekend. You definitely deserved that

Slo, we can’t stop the age from increasing but as long as we doit in a healthy way it’ll be OK
                              Sounds like your sister has made her decision!! She sounds an awful lot like one of my brothers who proclaimed me the Ultimate Bitch when I asked him nicely to stop his drunken FB postings & insulting my DIL. He made his decision to not be a part of my life anymore that day, I understand the feeling.
                              There’s nothing we can do for people when they get like this. Protecting our energy is vital & I don’t have any to waste at this point.
                              You asked me the other day why YB didn’t want me to drive him to the hospital. I thought about that question & all I can say is this - he’s a control freak with narcissistic tendencies. It’s always has to be HIS way at all times. I guess it made him feel important to disrupt the lives of two other people for rides to & from the hospital. In order to protect my energy I do my best to ignore this stuff. When the surgeon’s office called to check in on him he told them he was having a lot of rectal soreness but I went out & bought him a tube of Lidocaine gel to use & he’s feeling much better. The caller told him he’s in good hands having a wife who is a nurse but I’ll never get credit for that haha! The best thing to do with these personalities is just ignore them as much as possible Lol

I don’t see Mick here today - hope everything is OK.

Hello to Cyn, Pie & everyone.
                              Have a nice night all!

Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Working...
                              X