This Time of Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This Time of Year

It's funny ... in some convoluted way I didn't mind our winter so much this year because I kept reading about all the northern hemisphere people - kayaking, bbq'ing, doing their gardens, swimming ...

I vicariously lived through you all and that somehow made my winter more tolerable ... if that makes sense.

Maybe we can now help get you through your autumn/winter season????

Comment

This Time of Year

FMF - yeah, I only developed this germa-phobe the last couple of years since moving to the big city. Not like it is any different germ wise than my home town city. Yes, it is mental. It seems.............. nearly, ever time I go into Walmart here the next day I wake up with Pink Eye! So I am paranoid and try to avoid Walmart now.

Kids get bugs... I am not afraid of my own kids bugs or snot. Just other's bugs and snot ;-)

She is feeling better, though!

Waves: Light boxes work WONDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have one. I haven't used it too much but will be this year. Only because our condo is facing trees and we don't get a lot of natural light. With the grey skies and icky weather coming, I can sense a loom coming over me. I love BRIGHT, BRIGHT, BRIGHT. It would be worth your while to check into. You guys get a lot of dark days so, it may help.

Tawny, you know, I think it is a great idea. We can live vicariously through you guys now. Listen about your wonderful summers, etc. Good plan!!!

Comment

This Time of Year

Finding My Feet;210804 wrote: Just seen your little one's feeling poorly AFM. I hope on the mend soon....but I soooh recognised the emotion behind, "Oh, tis the season of germ infestations" !!!!! Poor you! Come on though! If we can kick Al we can kick The Germophile too!!! In fact, if we kill The G then Al will stay bu**ered off more safely...what do you reckon?

So, just a PS with an extra hug from me.

Trixie - sorry, me'n AFM having a bit of a chat on your thread! Back to you! Hope you're OK.

Love FMF xx
        no worries
        You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

This Time of Year

I used to get this winter blues/heavy drinking to ease the blues way worse when I lived in an apt with barely any sunlight.
          Now my place has southern exposure and it's a bit more manageable, so I can see how the light boxes can work. tawny, maybe I'll do the same and keep in touch with the southern hemisphere through winter.
          AFM it's great to hear that your little one is getting better and I bet you would absolutely hate the subway in winter. all those people coughing, it's gross.

Comment

This Time of Year

Thankfully we don't take the transit rail here or the public buses. (Transit rail doesn't run through our city yet). But when living back home I decided to try to save 200 a month in parking downtown for work and took public transit. From the end of October until January. I cannot describe how muggy, stuffy, and icky it was inside the bus. I feel for those who have to take public transit. Abbotsford is fairly small in comparison to other major cities here surrounding Vancouver. We have central Abbotsford where most of the employment and where the businesses are. The surrounding areas are mainly new subdivisions and farms. Parking is still free - which is a shocker. I wouldn't be able to handle living in a bigger city than this one. So, really, we are in the best place to live, on the Lower Mainland.

Comment

This Time of Year

AFM - that's great news about the light boxes.... but how long a day do you stay in front of it to gain noticeable benefit? They're really expensive to 'get it wrong'!!

Glad wee-one is on the mend. Good on you - I was a horible mum (hence all the therapy about it!) cos I didn't like anyone's bugs!! I couldn't even go near my own kids if they felt pukey (snot = no worries) - my hubby had to stay off work with me - how sad is that!

A vicarious Aussie summer - I'm up for that!

Love FMF xx
              :heart: c: :heart:
              "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

This Time of Year

FMF - with the newer models it takes as little as 15 minutes a day up to 30-60 min a day. You can Google for information regarding this. You can also buy the desk top ones, which I have. They are cheap when you think of the benefits it can provide. I ordered mine last year on this website: They have a whole selection of different types.

Light Therapy

Medical reports also suggest it helps not only with SAD but with other things such as:

Circadian Rhythms
                Depression
                Bipolar
                Sleep Disorders
                Shift Work
                Melatonin
                Serotonin
                Alzheimers
                Chronic Fatigue
                Negative Ionization

Comment

This Time of Year

thank you accountable.

Comment

This Time of Year

Thanks for the link Accountable. I think I will trial one. Hubby in particular hates the winter. Hope your little one feels better soon.

Tawny, I will still live through the Aussie summer through your activities and photos too! After all they got us through last winter.
                    Enough is enough

Comment

This Time of Year

Tawny I think that's a great idea.

Winter is a tough time for me as well. It's kind of like you are trapped inside most of the time. Sure the kids can go out but who wants to play outside when it's below 0? Everyone gets cabin fever, starts fighting. Stress.

Trixie can you travel or take a trip anywhere warm? We are going to Myrtle Beach in Nov to see my dad then Disney in Feb just to get out of NY a couple times.

Light Therapy sounds pretty cool too.

Good luck
                      "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

This Time of Year

hi beaches the last 2 years I have been going to Mexico right around January, it has helped a lot with the blues.

Comment

Working...
                        X