Trying the Mod Road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying the Mod Road

Ok, so Ive voluntarily kicked myself off from the AF Army thread, cos it just aint working... too many "slips".
    Is "moderation" different for different people though..?
    Ive been used to drinking up to 3 bottles of wine a day in the past and find that if Im trying to go AF then my "slips" are full-blown-head long collisions... rather than a slip..
    If Im going AF then Im thinking more and more about the vino... however, if I allow myself a glass or three a day then I can handle it..
    From 3 bottles a day to 2-3 glasses... that has to be good, right? Or am I just kidding myself into thinking Im controlling it.
    ?I am playing all the right notes... But not necessarily in the right order.....?

Trying the Mod Road

Hi Chelle, of course that drinking less is good. Maybe you should cut down before going AF? What about trying meds? I know you were going to get some antibuse, what about seeing a doc? Is that an option?
    Hope you are OK hun
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Trying the Mod Road

Hi Chelle,
      Yes cutting down is better than three bottles a day. You will see over the next little while if that is a workable plan for you or not. Many find that trying to keep it to 2 drinks a day is just not possible. How did last night go for you, Chelle? Good luck on whatever path you decide. We love ya.
      Kriger
      "People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning." Lao-Tzu

Comment

Trying the Mod Road

Thanks guys
        I was struggling sooo much with trying to be AF.
        My plan now is to mod, until my antabuse gets here, then the AF Army better watch out, cos I'll be back!
        ?I am playing all the right notes... But not necessarily in the right order.....?

Comment

Trying the Mod Road

Chelle12;418352 wrote: Thanks guys
          I was struggling sooo much with trying to be AF.
          My plan now is to mod, until my antabuse gets here, then the AF Army better watch out, cos I'll be back!
          That is great news chelle
          Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
          Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Trying the Mod Road

startingover;418332 wrote: What about trying meds? I know you were going to get some antibuse, what about seeing a doc? Is that an option?
            Hope you are OK hun
            My doctor said (and I quote) " I cant help you".
            Nice..
            I told him how much I was drinking and how I'd already had a bottle that day (it was lunchtime) and that I DROVE to his surgery. I cried and practically begged for some meds to control cravings, but he just said "I really think all you need to do is stop the drinking.."

Im going to look into getting Campral, cos Cymru said it was helping him and it doesnt appear to react badly with fluoxetine (which Im on - 40mg a day).
            I REALLY think the antabuse is going to be the life-saver though... because there will be no way I can drink on it.

Anyhoo.. thanks for your replies..
            Love,
            C

Comment

Trying the Mod Road

Chelle,
              Please don't think of yourself as the BLACK SHEEP of the family!!! Change your avatar...you are definately a cute little white sheep and that's the way you need to think of yourself too!!! K
              "People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning." Lao-Tzu

Comment

Trying the Mod Road

Good luck Chelle- I am going to phone those AB people tomorrow, I also need more, and they are the cheapest by far but needless to say I am reluctant to order until I see you get yours.

In the meantime Good Luck with the modding- of course if it doesnt work then its just the AB and thats that!

I will let you know what they say tomorrow.

Take care
                MX

Comment

Trying the Mod Road

kriger;418369 wrote: Chelle,
                  Please don't think of yourself as the BLACK SHEEP of the family!!! Change your avatar...you are definately a cute little white sheep and that's the way you need to think of yourself too!!! K
                  Better?

Comment

Trying the Mod Road

marbella;418372 wrote: Good luck Chelle- I am going to phone those AB people tomorrow, I also need more, and they are the cheapest by far but needless to say I am reluctant to order until I see you get yours.

In the meantime Good Luck with the modding- of course if it doesnt work then its just the AB and thats that!

I will let you know what they say tomorrow.

Take care
                    MX
                    Hi Marbs..
                    Yup, really looking forward to getting the AB.. cos I miss my AF Army!!
                    Going to go listen to some music (DM of course...) and watch my other half peel some potatoes for dinner... Its HIS turn to cook on a sunday

Comment

Trying the Mod Road

That's better Chelle! Don't you feel better now? Krigs

Comment

Trying the Mod Road

Good for you, Chelle, and I am so glad you switched away from that black sheep avatar! Whether you decide to pursue a plan of moderation (and there are some wonderful people here who can help you with that... Nancy, VeraB, St Jude... and others... ) or if you decide to pursue some period of time being AF, there are lots of people here supporting you and cheering for you.

best wishes,

wip

Comment

Trying the Mod Road

Hey Chelle,

I just wanted say I can relate. I tried AF when I first came here a few years ago and slipped so badly so many time I finally left in shame. This time I am back and trying to do it a different way.

I was also a 2-3 bottles a day. Now 2-4 glasses a day after about 2 weeks. Not great, but each week I am setting stronger goals. Then I will start setting up a few AF days and then start stringing them together.

I am jealous of those that are AF now, but I KNOW for me, right now, I can't do it that way. I tried and when I failed so many times I gave up. And I'm not going to give up this time. So I had to "massage" the program to work for me.

BTW, I also started taking Topa 2 weeks ago. Only on 50mg and going up slowly because I am doing it without a DR and it's a bit spooky. But no side effects except a bit tired at times. Not sure if it's really helping yet or it's just the mind set and supps. But I'm pleased with the progress and that's what counts. I'm moving forward FINALLY!

Sometimes we just have to figure out what plan is going to work for us. Hugs!

Comment

Trying the Mod Road

Hi Chelle,
                            I think there are many here who cut down or quit gradually. They might not be the ones who jump on the AF Army thread. So you could hang out here, in a mods section. Definitely, the less you drink, the better off you are. You could think about starting a Quitting Gradually thread if you like the group thing and that is your goal. There are other group threads of people like the Firecrackers and 30 days??? who hang out together. These other groups include drinkers at many levels, and non-drinkers. There was one group called Newbies Nest - I'm not sure if it is still together. Lots of MWO choices, and we usually offer support to everyone working toward a wide variety of goals. I think this Monthly Moderation section may have been designed for people who want to moderate for a period of time before going AF. A person wanting to moderate for longer might post under Long Term Moderation.

My personal suggestion is to start using Drink Tracker if you are not already. Your drinking really hits you in the face there, and it is motivating to see fewer glasses and more 0's. Make sure you use honest drinks: 5 oz of wine = 1 drink.
                            My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Trying the Mod Road

It's funny that most of the AF army are here replying to Chelle!!!lol

Honey I gotta ask you one thing? OK? Does alcohol rule you life? Do you think about it 24/7? Do you watch that clock hoping for it to reach the time you have set yourself to have a drink in the first place? What are your 1st thoughts of the day? (be honest). Modding is about being able to take that mind-set away from alcohol and to be able to function with our daily lives without these kind of thoughts going through our head. It's been shown by a few that THEY can do that and control their thoughts about how and why they drink and not think twice about stopping at that 3rd or 4th glass of wine. What in your eyes is moderation Chelle? I don't think it wrong to say that maybe I have a few glasses too many at various 'situations'. I think that is normal these days anyway. But if your thinking tells you that you 'need' to have another drink the next day then you may be in fear of NOT being able to moderate.

Remember that 9 different drinkers thread I put up a few days back? Think about it hun WHY do you drink? Face those issues WHY you do and hopefully you may be able to Mod. I speak from the heart now love. The way I see it is that not many can go back to a life of modding when they have been so hedonistic in their drinking. Patterns learned are patterns hard to 'adjust' as it where. I feel so more comfortable saying NO to a drink than saying 'maybe'. If I have that one I'll go ballistic again. I've just literally FUCKED UP (excuse my French as they say!) everything I hold dear for trying to get through to me that I MAY be able to moderate my drinking.

Chelle think about this carefully before you 'give up' on the Army OK? Another question for ya!!!!!!!!!!..............Is it like me the 'lifetyle that is so appealing rather than the drink? Think about it hun

Lots of love and happiness
                              Hippie
                              xx
                              "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
                              Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Working...
                              X