• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really need some advice from the moderators

Hi

I have orderd thepack, the supps and the CD's

My aim is moderate drinking

I currently have the ability to moderate some times but am also prone to devastating binges which seem to grab me out of nowhere and will start with one heavy night and then often lead toanother big night, another big night untili eventually stop broken and defeated,

Should I definitely add Topamax to my regime? Can I Really even consider moderation as a realistic goal? I planned to start with a 30 day abs and to take all the supps as recommended

Please get back tome,I really need your advice,I am getting pretty scared now about this problem

Thanks

Charlie from London
    I am well and truly in recovery, I thank Baclofen, the good people of MWO and my love of spirituality, the combination of which have helped to guide me out of the darkness in the last couple months. Cheers to that.

Charlie..........First of all stop drinking for at least 90 days. Take your meds.......Make sure that all the old booze is out of your system....Then you can experiment with partial drinking. You'll find out soon enough if your honest enough weather you can handle it or not ! IAD
    ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
    those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
    Dr. Seuss

Comment

thnaks

thanks IAD.....some great advice. 30 days is just tooshort......gonna do90,meds, supps, healthy lifestyle,3-4 meetings a week and then take it from there

Why oh why can't I just accept abstinence as a way of life...just howmuch misery can a man take!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for posting, I appreciate it

x
      I am well and truly in recovery, I thank Baclofen, the good people of MWO and my love of spirituality, the combination of which have helped to guide me out of the darkness in the last couple months. Cheers to that.

Comment

Hi Charlie, it is hard to get this healthy mindset going when alcohol has been our constant companion for such a long time. I also thought my life would be rubbish without it. (even more rubbish than it already was :-))
        But not drinking and learning to live sober is very do-able you know, and the benefits are wonderful. I never thought I would or could be the person I am sober. It really is a wonderful feeling. Please keep going, there is most definitely a good life waiting for you.
        Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
        Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Hi Charlie,

:welcome: and :goodjob: posting! I stopped drinking on October 30th without a plan for moderation or long-term sobriety. I didn't really know what to do, just that I wanted to feel better about myself and stop the insanity (constant anxiety, shame, and basically feeling super yuck). Anyway, I passed 30 days by and am still AF (alcohol free) because I feel better, have been afraid to test it out, and MWO has been great support.

It sounds like you are ready and willing to go AF for a bit and that is a terrific idea! I don't take the medications, but I do use a once daily dose of L-glutamine, L-theanine, milk thistle, B-complex and 5-HTP supplements with a dose of melatonin to sleep. I think you can take a lot more of L-glut to help with cravings and also Kudzu.

Best wishes to you!

Comment

thanks

Thanks everyone

I think moderation is a nonsense if I am honest. Just too much effort and toomuch heartbreak when it goes wrong again and again and again.

I just read that the LA socialite Casey JOhnson died at the age of 30. I partied with her in LAjust two years ago.

I cannot fall to the same fate.

Officially AF and long may it last.

Thanks,its great to have the support offellow sufferers of this mad mad disease

XCharlie

Comment

Godd luck to you CharlieBoy. ODAT One day at a time.
              Starting over again 09/06/11

"When its good its good its so good until it goes bad" Pink,Sober

sigpic

Comment

Why oh why can't I just accept abstinence as a way of life...

Hi Charlie

Because its our human nature to want something we try to deny ourselves!!! Good Luck:goodjob:
                AF since 19 January with a week's holiday last week. Today is AF day 1sigpic

Comment

The shared heartfelt feelings and honesty in MWO is so wonderful. I am now on Day 4 dieting and no alcohol! While it is very hard for me, especially at the evening witching hours for a glass of wine or vodka, I have been able to stay away with help form this site and you guys. Thank you.

Comment

Hi Charlie Boy,
                    Personally, I agree with IAD and think that a long period of AF-ness is definetly in order. I did 60 day AF before beginning my journey into modsville and I do highly recommend it.
                    Whatever your choice -- make it wisely and sober:-)
                    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Hi Charlieboy. I too could not imagine a life without alcohol and it took a LOT for me to finally get honest with myself. Truth be told, I am addicted to alcohol and simply cannot drink safely, ever. It took me awhile to really FACE that question...instead of a different and less revealing question such as "is there a way I can somehow control what has been out of control for years...."

Only YOU can decide what path you want to take. I have never regretted choosing the AF path, even in the earlier stages when it was difficult. It's been worth it to get free of the guilt, remorse and shame that always accompanied drinking for me.

Strength and hope to you!

DG
                      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Charlieboy, best wishes on your journey to be AF.

This may interest you, but somewhere on this site I read that Roberta Jewell, the person who started MWO and wrote the book is now abstinent. Not moderating anymore, but totally AF. So, apparently at some point, the moderation thing did not work for her or something.

I thought that was very important to know. I wonder if some of us just get past "a point of no return," where we are just better off AF. We may be able to moderate some of the time, but not all of the time, and the pain of drinking too much is just not worth it.
                        Redhibiscus

Comment

Charlieboy;785432 wrote: Hi

I have orderd thepack, the supps and the CD's

My aim is moderate drinking

I currently have the ability to moderate some times but am also prone to devastating binges which seem to grab me out of nowhere and will start with one heavy night and then often lead toanother big night, another big night untili eventually stop broken and defeated,

Should I definitely add Topamax to my regime? Can I Really even consider moderation as a realistic goal? I planned to start with a 30 day abs and to take all the supps as recommended

Please get back tome,I really need your advice,I am getting pretty scared now about this problem

Thanks

Charlie from London
                          hi charlie,your not much different from many of us,alchoholics and heavy drinkers have that problem,which ends in binge drinking,is your goal unreal,not at all,ive tried it many times,but i beleive sometime in ones life you come to the realisation,you just cant drink,i no theres a thread with naltrexone,the people there i beleive have found some success,if you have to research alchohol.from my xperiences in life,youve got a problem,i do wish you well gyco

Comment

Working...
                          X