Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, off a toxic medication and starting again

Hi

I've been taking anti-depressants of one kind or another over many years. I've just had a horrible experience with Effexor and a horrible experience trying to get off it.

I won't go into all the detail about that now. Anyway, I've tried abstaining and it hasn't worked for me, that's not to say I won't try again in future.

I've been off the tablets for 11 days and had a drink once in that time (sweet cider, not the mad white stuff !). I kept it sensible and woke up with no hangover and no craving for more. I have two kids, one of which is starting a new school next week, I really want to put them first. My OH doesn't trust me at all, and is just waiting for me to go off on another bender. This is causing big problems between us, he has no idea what I've been through with the medication or the withdrawal, as he doesn't listen to me. I really feel better, more myself and hope I can do it right this time.

So here's to me getting it right this time ! It's good to find a place where I can be honest and tell it like it really is.

Thanks for listening.
    Drinking..... but in moderation.

hi meabh,i no where your at been there and then some,meds are good as long as you dont drink with them,i found out the hard way,your off to a good start but this is for you,not anyone else,thats the 1st thing to understand,the people around you no little of what your goin thro,unless there like you,addiction is a hard thing for most to deall with,now if you had a weight proble,or an alergy to peanuts,or even cancer there is pity,but not alchoholism or depression,most words to you would be get over it,even most doctors havent a clue,unless there like you ?.so your in a good spot,lots of great people and many like you and i,i do wish you well,ive said it to many late if your a reader a great read in a book called Healing The Addicted Brain,and theres the one i started at Alchoholic annonymous,many people dont hold keenley to this book,cause as i said most dont understand alchoholism,whether you abstain or find a way to moderate,in one or the other you will have a challenge,i wish you well gyco

Comment

I did have a few glasses of red wine last night, but it had it with a meal and spread over a few hours, that was the second time I've drank in 13 days and I feel okay about it, it wasn't an impulse or a reaction to anything.
      Felt okay this morning and no cravings to have another one tonight.

Thanks Gyco, you are right, no-one understands an alcoholic except another alcoholic. I'll take a look on the net for the books you recommend.
      Drinking..... but in moderation.

Comment

Working...
      X