Thursday November 2nd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thursday November 2nd

wow, I wonder if you really coudl make that a signature line...probably not...but maybe...lets see....
    Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

Thursday November 2nd

Ok, I'm back and in a dead panic!!! My son is scheduled to go to Harvard on Monday. His counselor told him that he didn't have to prepare for an interview because Harvard does not interview perspective students until after the application is in, and only then, if there is some question . . . WRONG!!!! I got a call from them and they want to interview him Monday morning and they want him to meet the head of physics in the afternoon, as well as spend the day with one of their assigned students. I called the counselor -- he is out until Monday!!! My son always relys on me to help him!! Yeeekkkkkssss!!!! It doesn't help that it is the most challenging part of my day -- it is the couple of hours when I am waiting for my husband to come home to pop the top on the wine -- I found this out an hour ago. I've already walked an hour!!! I feel like "The Little Engine Who Could" (for those of you with children) --- "I can do it; I can do it; I can do it" All the while wondering if I can really it do it.

Looks like I'll be surfing Harvard website all weekend!!!

Any thoughts or encouragement would be creately appreciated.

MM
      Saving the day one minute at a time!

Comment

Thursday November 2nd

Oh MM! I don't have kids...( love to borrow them!) , but after reading your posts, if anyone can do this,... YOU CAN!!:thumbs:

Keep breathing!!

:l Judie
        The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Thursday November 2nd

If your son got into Harvard, which is very difficult in and of itself, I am sure he will be brilliant in an interview, don't you?
          I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Thursday November 2nd

Dear MM,

Congratulations! Here are some of the typical questions they ask on college interviews and grad school interviews;

Tell us about yourself
            Why do you want to attend ( name of school goes in here) Harvard?
            What are your plans for the future?
            (for grad school both my sons were asked, what was your favorite class in the prerequisite categories - they may ask, what has been your favorite class in HS and why.) Been awhile so I don't remember!!

Showing intellect, succinct thoughts along with a well rounded personality is what they want to see, especially in the sciences. A sense of humor is always a help. They have the transcripts in front of them and referrals from teachers, if you know what the referrals say go through those and see if there are questions to be gleaned from that.

hope that helps a little on focusing.

He will do wonderfully!! MM Judie's right AGAIN, BREATHE!!

Hugs,
            Mary

Comment

Thursday November 2nd

Thank you all!!! I appreciate the feedback. Saint Jude, your confidence in me makes me want to really step up to the plate!!! I needed that. Thank you!!! Lush, you are fabulous too!! Not only do you have confidence in me, but my son as well!!! That is very sweet of you!! And so like you to be so supportive (reminds me of the Wikopedia name for you; slang for loving, caring person!!!). Unfortunately, my son has not gotten into Harvard, but has only been invited to apply. There is a 99% turn down rate!! It is no cake walk. Interviewing is not his forte, but I will help him practice this weekend before going and I am allowed to be present. Hopefully, it will make a difference!! (A good difference that is). MKR - thanks for the reminder of what they ask!!! I haven't had to go through that since my own interview at Johns Hopkins and that was over 25 years ago!!! Can't believe they are asking the same questions!!!

You know what, I have to stand down here and tell you guys that there is more to this than just worrying about the interview. Alan's college counselor and I do not agree on the approach at all!!! I like him, he is really nice, but I don't think that he is right!!! He doesn't think my son will get into Georgetown or Harvard (both have invited him to apply). He says that his grades are too low because his GPA is only a 90%. He says that schools like Harvard and Georgetown don't like to see B's on a transcript. I don't agree with him because the school representatives themselves have told me that this is not the case. According to them they will take into consideration that he is attending one of the top all boys schools in the country, that he has taken at least two advanced placement courses and at least two honors courses a year, ranked 96% in the country on his SAT's, had top ranking in the country in both AP physics and AP chemistry. He has three AP's scheduled this year in U.S. Government, AP Biology & AP Calculus BS. In addition, he has a resume that I would dream of having, which he started from age 5. He wants to be a political strategist and lobbying consultant in science. Among a long list of accomplsihments, he has had an internship at National Geographic Society in DC and the Smithsonian. For crying out loud, the kid won the Space Camp award at 7 because he was athe only one amongst children and adults who knew how to work a the manned maneuvering unit and impressed the counselor with his knowledge of orbital trajectory (half the time I have no idea what he is saying). In government, he spent three weeks at Georgetown University last summer doing The Jiunior Statesmen Program for advanced placement in American Government where he got to meet Congressmen, Senators, Ambassadors and Staffers to the Presitdent. He is a leader in Model UN representing his high school at Ivy League Colleges, and came in no. 2 on the debate team.

BUT IT IS DRIVING ME NUTS THAT THIS HIS COUNSELOR KEEPS TELLING HIM HE DOESN'T HAVE A SNOWBALLS CHANCE OF GETTING INTO HARVARD OR GEORGETOWN!!!!!!!!!!! I am not pushing my son to do anything, but I don't like someone telling him he is wasting his time reaching for the stars!!! I came from a low middle class family with a smattering of B's and I got into Johns Hopkins University, I got into law school. Am I delusional or is he??? Are kids that far ahead that no one cane reach!!! I have always been realistic with my goals. I don't want to push my son if he really has no chance, but I just don't see that. Please tell me if you think I'm off the beam. My son looks to me for direction, and I am very careful to make sure that it is his dream, not mine (I thought he would be an engineer). I don't want to misdirect my son. But I think this guy is in la-la land!!

What makes it worse is that HIS COUNSELOR KEEPS ADVISING HIM NOT TO ANSWER THE QUESTIONS ASKED ON THE ESSAYS!!! When they said "tell us about yourself" Instead of letting my son tell about his accomplishments, he told him to tell about how he felt sitting in a library!!! It was a great writing, but IT DIDN'T ANSWER THE QUESTION!!!!!! I do grantwriting overseeing a lot. If there is one F=========in thing I HATE is when people DON'T ANSWER THE QUESTION.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK. I'm calm now. Thank you for letting me vent. I'm losing my fr=============gin my mind!!!!!!!!! You know, if there is one thing I can take. It is the truth. If you think I am encouraging my son too highly, please say so. Nothing means more to me than my son. He will be turning 18 in December. We are so close. He trusts me so much. This is sooooooo hard!!! My son's attitude is, as he stated to me directly, "Mom, I trust you. I will proceed how you advise me". Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, the guilt if I screw up!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think he has a shot. He knows its a long shot, he is not misinformed on his chances. But the way the application should be filled out; his counselor and I just don't agree. The way we have talked it out is that his counselor took point on Georgetown. He wants me to take point on Harvard. That was his position. But I hope I am not giving him false hopes.

Please help. I do always want to be a great Mom, no matter what. It has been my legacy. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. I think I just need to stay calm and do what I do. Sure could use some solid no BS advice.

MM

Comment

Thursday November 2nd

Thank you for the support, it means a lot. Thank you.

MM

Comment

Thursday November 2nd

MM you have a Harvard kidlet! Wow!

Hoping you did OK last night and again this morning ... I'm certain your son will do find. He has quite an amazing Mom!

Keep us posted!

And Fan .. YUCK! LOL But I actually had that happen a few months back ... tried running with a few glasses of wine in me. Bright huh? Shezzzz ...

Now which you have reminded me .. it is my walking day! And if I don't do it thismorning .. it won't happen as it will be dark when I get home tonight ... and not very fond of the coyotes out here ..

WaitingToExhale

Comment

Thursday November 2nd

Hey MM
                    I got this info right from Harvard's own website - (this is more geared to job interviews but i would think would be applicable regardless and I tried to change it to make it applicable to your situation where I could...)

How to Prepare for Interviews
                    Before the Interview
                    Preparing well for your job interview is the best way to make a good impression and to avoid anxiety that can weaken your presentation. Interviews come in many formats. They may be driven by the interviewer's questions, or they may feel like a conversation you help to steer. They may be with one person or with several. They may be in person or by phone. Be ready for any of these types.

Seven Key Stages of Preparation for the Interview
                    1. Obtain information about interviewers, itinerary, and format if possible. Usually some information about the interview will be given to you. If it is not, ask for it. Ask also about receiving organizational literature.

2. Know the organization. If you have landed an interview, you probably did some research prior to applying. Include all of these elements:

Learn as much as you can about the organization.
                    Do an internet search on this organization as well as the person that will be interviewing you.

3. Know yourself. Think through the following questions thoroughly, and commit responses to memory. If you find yourself at a loss for words in response to some unanticipated questions, fall back on these responses, as you will find them very flexible.

What are you very good at? (3 verbs)
                    What are your most significant accomplishments? (3)
                    What types of problems are you best at solving? (3 types)
                    What qualities best describe you? (3 adjectives)
                    What skills do you have?
                    What best describes what you can do best? (1)
                    What are your weaknesses? (1)
                    How do you handle or work on this weakness?
                    Why do you want to go to Harvard?

4. Know what makes you a good match. During this stage, you should think very carefully about how your answers to stage 3 meet your findings from stage 2. In your answers, be as specific as possible, both about yourself and about the organization.

What makes you a good fit for this school?
                    What qualities make you stand out as a candidate for Harvard?
                    How did HIGH SCHOOL prepare you for Harvard?
                    How did your other experiences/education prepare you for this school?

5. Know additional information that you want to gain during the interview. The interview focuses largely on you, but should be a conversation. You are considering the organization as well. Good questions say a lot about you. Here are some examples:

Can you tell me more about your specific courses/facilties/resources/instructors?
                    What kinds of projects/community affairs will the school become involved with in coming years?
                    What opportunities might become available when i graduate?
                    How can I get involved in the school?

6. Have all logistics worked out ahead of time. Double-check travel times, and have key phone numbers so you can call if there is a problem. If possible, practice getting there.

7. Anticipate questions and practice responding to them. If you moved quickly over stages 3 or 4 of the interview preparation, go back because good answers to those questions will focus your response to almost all others, and they will be flexible enough to meet most questions you do not anticipate. Practice responses to these additional common questions. Keep answers fairly short, even if questions are very open-ended:

(a) Tell me about yourself.
                    Avoid a long narrative. Use some personal history, but not too much. Focus on key skills, strengths, traits, professional values, and achievements.
                    (b) Why do you want to go to our school?
                    Be careful of questions that set you up to focus on your own wants. Focus on the match between you and the school, not on what you will get out of it exclusively.
                    (c) Why should we accept you?
                    Discuss core requirements and desirable traits of candidates, but give considerable attention to qualifications that likely set you apart from other candidates.
                    (d) What are your strengths?
                    Name three related to succeeding at this institution.
                    (e) What do you know about our organization/schooletc.?
                    Be prepared to discuss this.
                    (f) Do you have more copies of your r?sum?/CV?
                    Yes. (Make sure your copies are of the same version you sent.)

The Day of the Interview
                    Keep all answers brief, but thorough. Offer the inquirer a chance to follow up.
                    Ask questions about the school. Also ask informed questions about the organization. Ask about the timeline for a decision, which will be helpful as you weigh options.

Follow-up
                    Send thank-you letters immediately. Use a professional format and friendly tone. If possible, send a personalized letter to everyone with whom you interviewed; if not, send one to the chair or point person. Include a few reminders of points that came up in the meeting, or if you have something would like to add now. You might also mention something you appreciated learning. Finally, remind the reader why you believe in the quality of the match between you and the organization.
                    Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

Working...
                    X