Saturday, November 11th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saturday, November 11th

Fsophiah, I am a political strategist and lobbying consultant in Washington, DC. Unfortunately, I do not deal in this area. But I do have a couple of suggestions. If I understand your problem, it is not your son who cannot leave, but his female companian. If I interpretted your scenario correctly, she is in Japan on a Visa from Korea. Did I get it right? If so, then yes, she would indeed need a Visa to travel anywhere other than back to Korea (incidentally, have you checked the possibility of her returning to Korea and getting a Visa from Korea to come to the States? If not, that is your first investigatory option). It is VERY difficult to get Visa's to a third country if you are in another country on a Visa from your original country. Assuming I have interpretted your situation correctly AND you are unable to go the back to Korea and then to the States option, here are my suggestions.

First, this is not a Congressional issue, but one that rests strictly in the pervue of the Executive Branch of Government (sorry!!). Thus, you have several options:

Air travel complaints involving discriminatory treatment relative to Border Patrol and Travel rights (that do not involve immigration -- this does not since she isn't moving here, therefore, INS or AKA INSO does not apply). Other complaints go through the Department of Justice's Office of the Inspector General. You can file a complaint in several ways; i.e., email at oig.hotline@usdoj.gov or you can call them at 1-800-869-4499, or you can fax your complaint at (202) 616-9881. If this involves your son's girlfriend and not your son, there is going to be very little that they will be able to do directly, but they may have some suggestions. BUT YOU MUST ASK THEM DIRECTLY FOR SUGGESTIONS. Government officials have a tendency not to tell if you don't ask. In case you need it, their address is U.S. Department of Justice, 950 W. Pennsylvania Ave., NW, Suite 4706, Washington, DC

Another alternative is to have your son contact the Embassy of the United States in Japan. Their website area that may help you is www.japan,usembassy,gov/acs/tacs-atoz.html I'm terrible at getting websites, so if that doesn't come up, do a URL search under Embassy of the United States Japan. Once there, click on "Citizen Services" and browse until you find something that might help. I think they even have an option to use US attorneys in Japan that specifically work through this stuff, and I think a list of them is available on this website.

Finally, you can contact the Japanese Embassy in Washington, DC. They are located at Embassy of Japan in the United States, 2520 Massachusetts Avenue, N.W., Washington, DC 20008 Their number is (202) 238-6700 (HOWEVER, I WOULD GET ADVICE ON THIS FIRST -- CONTACTING THE JAPANESE GOVERNMENT MAY DO MORE HARM THAN GOOD -- DO THE OTHER TWO FIRST AND AFTER GETTING THEIR SUGGESTIONS, ASK THEM IF YOU SHOULD ALSO CONTACT THE JAPANESE EMBASSADOR IN DC)

One other thing. VERY IMPORTANT. Do this when you have lots of time because you will go through beau coup answering machines and long holding periods. BE EXTREMELY NICE NO MATTER HOW DIFFICULT, BE VERY APOLOGETIC FOR BOTHERING THEM (EVEN THOUGH IT IS THEIR JOB!), AND THANK THEM PROFUSELY EVEN FOR TRYING TO HELP. IT IS DEATH TO DO OTHERWISE!!!!

Fsophiah, a couple of years ago, when I was working on the whale issues, I had an Intern with a similar situation. He was a US Citizen, but his wife was from Japan -- very sensitive stuff. He worked in the Defense Department -- I don't even know if he is still there. Try these numbers first. Get back to me as to your success. If you really have no other alternative, I'll see if I can track him down for you to get his ideas -- but only as a last resort.

Good luck. Keep me informed.

MM
    Saving the day one minute at a time!

Comment

Saturday, November 11th

Imagine, sorry to hear about your husband's job. What does he do? What area of the country?

For those of you who are having knee troubles from exercise, I will share a thought with you (though, I have to say, I'm beginning to worry that my name will be changed from Mighty Mouse to Mighty Mouth). Please keep in mind, I'm only sharing what has worked for me. I am in no position to give anyone advice (with that said, I appear to be doing it anyway [but for the record, embarrassingly]).

Several years ago, I moved into the neighbor where my general practiioner lived. We became best friends, still are, though we both live some place else. If ever there was the most gorgeous, perfect speciman of a man, he is it. NO, it isn't that either -- I'm happily married and was also best friends with his wife until she died this year. But I bring up his physical condition because it has to do with exercise. He and I became great friends. We golfed together. He was the one who taught me how to do aerobatic flying in antique aircraft (before that I was just fluffing around in Cesna's). But one day, we were taking because I would see him out walking in the neighborhood where I used to see him running. I couldn't run because I used to be a professional dancer in stage plays, and I had messed up my knees and hips real bad.

The bottom line is that he told me that you can keep yourself as healthy walking as you can running. He specifically noted that as you get older walking is actually better for you. So, for 15 years I have been walking as opposed to more rigorous exercise. A brisk walk is great. It is really good if you have "issues" you want to think through. And it is really invigorating if you put music in your ears that is expressive of how you are feeling.

So, if there is anyone who feels that they can't exercise because it is too strenuous, this is a great alternative. I also use the Perricone light weight lifts to offset any upper body problems from age. But, again, these are very mild. Just a thought.

Hope everybody's having a GREAT WEEKEND!!!!

I'm on my first glass of wine, only had two sodas (one less than my goal). I don't plan on having another. And am only planning on two more wines (I don't know if I'm going to make it, but I'm giving it my best shot).

Love to all,

MM

Comment

Saturday, November 11th

MM, thanks for the knee advice. For me the bike is what the doctor recommended. I love riding it. I love walks but we live in a country area where nothing is super smooth or stable for walking on. (Unless I went to the mall which I am not a mall kind of girl.) I have been doing so fabulous with the bike and my legs are muscled as hard as rocks now . . . but . . . I was overzealous earlier this week trying to get to the point where I throw my brace away. I traveled outside the house and did my day without my brace. In turn the tracking on my knee went a bit haywire. I tore my pcl - nothing left of it about a year and half ago. Had a super "loosey goosey" knee cap for quite few months even in physical therapy. Anyway, I just tried it a bit too soon for where I am - dr says brace forever . . I say no way. surgery is not an option since it is so hit or miss and I have developed such a great amount of mobility through all the exercise, mobility that I could lose with surgery.

I agree with you, I love walking and hiking even better than running . . . unfortunately - he doesn't want me in the water as the stability of my knee may cause me hyperextension which could mess with every other ligament. Swimming and diving are my favorites. I am OK with my limitations at the moment. I am just not the type of person who takes limitations sitting down!
        :l , Mary

Comment

Saturday, November 11th

MKR, you and I are so alike!!! I love to stretch my limitations. It sounds like you have a solid plan and know exactly what you are doing!! Congratulations on your great ability to face the "wrench" that has been tossed in!

I also have to mention that I am a little envious of your ability to bicycle. I have never been able to do it!! I have tried many times, but I just can't keep that little hummer upright! My knees are so out-of-wack that it would be very difficult for anyone to fix them!!! Interestingly enough, if I bicycle or run, they really hurt. But I do a lot of other things where you would think that they should hurt, but they don't. I do sevat (sp.) - french kick boxing, karate, ballet (and almost all forms of dancing), and of course, a lot of waking! Even tennis. But for some reason bicycling and running are death to my knees. I'm surprised that you can't do swimming. Many physical therapy programs for the knees actually prescribe swimming. Now the diving, that I could understand (being the worst diver in the world!!!).

All casual conversation aside, it sounds like you have a great mental outlook about the whole thing -- and that is what it is really all about.

Good luck. Always appreicate your posts.

MM

Comment

Saturday, November 11th

Boy, Amen to that MKR! Just reading that post I can feel almost everthing your refering to with extension of the knee in the water...& the looseness & lack of stability...I'm sure my injury was nowhere near what yours is but I can sure relate to slow healing process...

Rachele- I hope this change opens up some great new unforseen horizens for you both. It must be kind of scarey though. My Hubby keeps saying he's ready for a new job, but I can't imagine him not being his own boss, after being a bussiness owner for so long... Plus there's not a whole lot of opportunities that are full time prospects around here. (unless of course your a charming "waitress/servin wench" who's willing to do trim painting for a few months a year... like some people around here )

Becca!! You've gotta change that avatar! He looks like a bunch of my cousins !! I'll bet that photo is taken around here ... Maybe @ my family reunion this past summer, I think he was the one that showed up there looking for a date! I'm not kidding. Someone actually said that at the reunion! But I think he was kidding-... kinda. Oh, but on a more serious note, I heard that potassium is suppossed to help in preventing shin splints... I know... for all of the good that does now!! But maybe it can help with healing..?Ask DR MCHottie.

MM- Hey that's great news about your Dad! I wish my Dad would do something like that. I loaned the book to my Mom, who doesn't drink but I know is very concerned about both my Dad & myself. I was hoping maybe he might be a little interested in it, but he hasn't mentioned it. My Mom read the book, so I'm sure she read parts of it to Dad, but ... you know what they say about a horse & water.

Sophia- best of luck with getting your son & his friend here. Sounds like some great info from MM.

Lush- I heard a new song on the radio yesterday. It wasn't the Indigo girls, but kind of a folky sounding style, similar,... it caught my ear. I thought of you. Her name is Beth Hart. Ever hear of her? The lyrics went like, " I drank so much the bottle hurt"... "It's hard to think when you're in bar full of flies". Actually it sounded alot like something I could've written!
            It was pretty too!

Fan- Right back @ ya!

Allie- How are ya? How's Mom?

Love & Hugs To everybody!
            The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Saturday, November 11th

MM--You are a fount of valuable information. The best advice I've gotten so far, and it's worth trying. I couldn't believe it when I was reading about the visa problem, and you had advice about knees! I have been using the ellipical machine at my school, and there's nothing better for burning calories fast, but my knee swells. I've been wrapping it, and that seems to help some, but I really think I need a brace. MKR, what kind of brace do you use? Mods and muffins, you are the blueberries (the very best kind)!

Comment

Saturday, November 11th

Judie, I am cracking up about your cousin being Becca's avatar!!!! Becca, change that nasty man right now!!!! I have not heard of Beth Hart but will keep my ear out for her. Glad that a funny drinking song brought me to mind!
                I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Saturday, November 11th

Becca -- your avatar is turning me on! Stop it! :H

Imagine... I am so sorry to hear that your husband lost his job!! For what its worth -- I TOTALLY understand, as we have been through this TWICE in our marriage. The last time he got royally screwed by his business partner and that is a long story, but hopefully to encourage you, what seemed like the worst thing in the world actually turned out to be a blessing in disguise. We went through many sleepless nights, but he wound up being "fought over" by his top clients and they got in a bidding war to hire him, and he would up getting hired by this huge company (the one that sent us to the Caribbean for a week along with all the other hundreds of employees and their wives), and my husband's commmision checks alone are now more than his take home pay was for the whole month this time last year. Some of the people here remember when all of this went down back in April because I was a basketcase! So you NEVER know -- this could turn out to be what had to happen in order for him to get into a much better position! Dont lose faith!!

Having a great day -- the weather here could not be more gorgeous. I keep pinching myself to remember that it is November and not April! Almost too warm today even for long pants! Is it really snowing in Washington?

I got my belated b-day present today, as hubby had given me a gift certificate for a new laptop. Actually I never had an old one, just an old computer -- very old computer. So it was fun picking one out, and I wanted a really small one like a "notebook" thingy, but they are outrageous. I will wait a few years till the prices come down! I got a good middle of the line one, so now I can be all ready for school in January and not have to sit at a "desk" everytime I get on the computer! (Which probably means I cant come on here as much because I will be on the computer while in the bed and not much privacy! LOL!

Have a great rest of the weekend everyone...
                  Allie
                  What happens in Vegas goes straight to Ohio....

Comment

Saturday, November 11th

Hee hee!
                    I'm not changing the avatar yet. I need to be reminded to not get into a funk.
                    Today was better. I hit the bike at the gym and worked up a good sweat... different, but good. No impact on the shins. I can get used to it for a while, I suppose. I may try the elliptical tomorrow.
                    Jude, I didn't know your family was so good lookin!
                    Rachele, I'm glad you were feeling better after chat. Hope the rest of your day went well. Hey! my hubby said his company might have an opening in your city! I'm serious. If you would ever call I'd tell you about it:H
                    Just 3 drinks today, now water and early to bed cuz I totally overdid it yesterday at my pity party. Gym again tomorrow and back on plan. I think I hit 29 drinks for this past wk. New wk starts tomorrow. At least I didn't get to the 30 mark...barely though... did better last wk. My goal is still teens.
                    good night!

Comment

Saturday, November 11th

Oh yeah Becca! Out here in Curry County, they come in all shapes & sizes! We've got some real lookers too! Come on out, I'll introduce ya around!:H

Just got home from work, so I gotta go grab myself a hard earned glass of "grape - juice plus"!
                      The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Working...
                      X