Sick of IT - so going to try moderating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the term "problem drinker" vs. alcoholic. There are too many negative connotations with the term alcoholic for me.

I made it through my first week moderating and am starting week 2 today. The first 5 days sucked. I was crabby and the dreaming was intense. My goal was 2 drinks a day. I ended up doing 5 days AF and then 2 with one drink a day. I read MWO and ordered the Extreme Starter Pack from the website (still waiting for it to be delivered).

I am hesitant about seeing my doctor as well. I am sure they would be non judgmental since they deal with people who overindulge in alcohol, food, drugs, etc. every day. But it's hard. I'm going to stick with no meds for now, unless I start drinking 4-6 drinks a day again (boxed wine and/or cider). If I lose control, I will definitely get a script from my doctor. It won't be easy, but I'll do it!

Making a one week goal and using drink tracker was a great start for me.

Fantastic job so far!!! I am rooting for you!!
    FIRST MONTH MODDING
    GOAL:
    Go from 4 drinks per day to 2
    RESULT: 39 Drinks
    1.5 Drinks Per Day
    73 Drinks Not Taken!!

Comment

You're doing so well! I'll be following this as it sounds like goals that I might be able to manage in a while. I love a drink when cooking as well so well done for avoiding it!! It's breaking the old habits, I guess!

Comment

Hi
        Is anyone out there still trying to moderate?
        I'm trying to go af but not sure. Would nlove to see how others r doing!
        XXOO
        On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
        *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
        https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
        https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Lots a good stuff here...yes, I like whoever pointed out "problem drinker" vs. alcoholic as well. A problem drinker is not necessarily an alcoholic and probaly most ofus had some times in our lives when we may have been a problem drinker or subtance abuser. If any of you (and I'm sure you do) have friends who are recovering alcoholics and/or drug addicts you know what I mean when you hear their stories....no guilt, loss of days- let alone blackout from a night, drinking until bed, then drinking to wake up, etc.....a kid in my office described himself to me in saying, I don't drink, because I know I just won't stop...and if hungover, will keep going.

So why we sometimes "problem drink? Well we all know there are many reasons....or triggers all unqiue to ourselves.... I am proud to say in the past 5 days I only drank during two of them...one day I had a glass of wine at brunch and then many, many hours later (that night) two beers at a concert. The other say I had two glasses of wine with dinner...

hope everyone is well!

Comment

Rather than trying to fight with abstinance, I'm going to allow myself to moderate. I drink just once a week as it is, and I feel guilty because I tried to stop drinking. If it's just once a week, and I don't let myself get out of control and be okay with it, there is no struggle. I've gone months without a single drink, I know moderating is going to be manageable. I feel good about this decision, and if I don't feel like drinking, well I'm not going to.
            Living life to the fullest.

Comment

MtnMomma;1330241 wrote: Rather than trying to fight with abstinance, I'm going to allow myself to moderate. I drink just once a week as it is, and I feel guilty because I tried to stop drinking. If it's just once a week, and I don't let myself get out of control and be okay with it, there is no struggle. I've gone months without a single drink, I know moderating is going to be manageable. I feel good about this decision, and if I don't feel like drinking, well I'm not going to.
              You are the only one to allow anything girl. You sound reasonable to me(my definition may not be reasonable to you or anyone else, right?) Check into the daily mod threads, or not, only if you want. It could help you or it could help others. I wish you well. btw lovely pic again--yours?
              Psalms 119:45

?Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.?

St. Francis of Assisi

I'm not perfect, never will be, but better than I was and not as good as I'm going to be.

:rays:

Comment

Thanks, RC. Yes, this pic taken from my family's favorite campground last summer.
                Living life to the fullest.

Comment

Hi mtnmomma, we have some threads going down in the long term moderators board if you want to join us. It's just a bit further below in the list of boards but it's a bit more active.

Comment

Working...
                  X