Will Someone Be My Naltrexone Mentor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone. I'm new here, both to MWO forums in general and to this particular forum. I posted about my story more at length in the Just Getting Started forum. I am also new to online forums in general, so if I'm posting in the wrong place or referring to things incorrectly, please let me know.

The brief version: I am a 32 year old woman and don't consider myself to be an alcoholic...yet. The problem is that I think all signs point to me ending up one if I don't get a handle on my drinking. Until last night, I hadn't gone a night without drinking in months. I am drinking anywhere from 1-4 glasses of wine per night, or sometimes a cocktail and 2-3 glasses of wine. I have a very hard time stopping once I begin to get inebriated. Like a perverse little Energizer bunny, I just keep going...and going...

Having seen first hand what a hard core alcoholic looks like in my own family, I am trying to avoid it at all costs. I will go AF if I have to, and would much rather do that than go on as I have been, but I would like to try moderating first.

I began taking Naltrexone a couple of weeks ago and am finding a hard time connecting people who have taken the same route toward moderation. I would be so grateful if some kind soul who has experienced success in moderating with Nal would agree to occasionally PM or chat with me, or even just start a thread. I know everyone's experience is different, but I feel really alone in this experiment and would like have someone who could answer some questions for me/offer support.

Thank you for reading this. :new:
    With gratitude,
    NinaFaye

:new:
    The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.
    Henry David Thoreau

Hi! There are several posters on MWO who have had success with naltrexone and moderate drinking using the Sinclair Method (TSM.) KatieSmiles and UKBlonde come to mind. I also moderated to the point where I am drinking a couple of times per month, no more than 3 units for the month.

If you are following TSM, be sure to follow the Golden Rule of taking the pill an hour before drinking. That's really important.

If I may be of help, please let me know! Good luck!
    Sinclair Method (50mg naltrexone one hour before drinking)

Pre TSM 80-90 Units Per Week, No Alc Free Days

After control: 3-6 units per month, 25+ alcohol free days!

Comment

NinaFaye,

I wish I could help you but I have no personal experience with taking medications to help stop or curtail my drinking as my drinking tolerance has always been very low. My history is only drinking on week-ends and drunk on 4 drinks, but like you, I relate with not wanting to shut it off at appropriate times and have certainly made a fool of myself in the past at big weddings or long parties when the shut off valve didn't work properly.

Although I don't have the personal experience to help you with your particular question, you will find many others that can better guide you with naltrexone. Check out various threads and you may even see that in a title.

Good luck and post with us over here any time. We care about your path to recovery.

:l
      Eve11

p.s. Editing this as I remembered how you can find threads on this topic. Go toward the top of this post and in the middle of it you'll see a "search this thread" bar. Enter the word naltexone and it will pull up various posts for you to read. Good luck!
      "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Sure!

Hi, NinaFaye,

I went through the early stages of my journey using Naltrexone. I'm busy with twin infants and getting ready for work, so I'll post again a bit later (from the sanctity of my office! )

Want you to know you're not alone.

D
        Well the 1st are the hardest days don't you worry anymore.
        When life looks like easy street there is danger at your door.

Comment

Working...
        X