Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member, almost done with an (almost) 30

Hi there,

I'm moving over here from another forum that was only alcohol-free and didn't have a moderation forum.

I'm on my 24th day AF (except for ONE beer - more on that later.) I had moderate withdrawal - 4 to 5 days feeling like I was hung over, three days of being emotional, and by day 9, I was pretty much back to normal. What was very atypical for me was I had almost no cravings - its actually been pretty easy.

I got tired of hearing that I could never drink a drop again. I don't like it when people swear AA is the only way to go. I've been researching and learned there is more than one type of alcoholic, with different responses to treatment and different chances of success in moderation.

The one beer last Saturday was a test. It didn't give me any sort of buzz, and I didn't expect it to. It was a delicious porter at a brewery with friends. I drank it for taste, nursed it for an hour and a half (my one beer to everyone else's three) and stopped there. I felt like I was having a better time than I would have had wasted. Probably won't have another drink for a couple weeks.

My goal is to be mostly or completely AF for a few months while I fix up the rough patch in my life that led me to start overdoing it. I'll consider my moderation goals closer to that time. Looking to interact with like-minded individuals.

Best,
    -A.

Welcome BondGirl!
    “Outside of a dog a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read”

Comment

Hi Bondgirl; you should check out the Newbies Nest. Plenty of support over there while you get some AF time under your belt.
      You are doing great so far...well done!
      IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
      Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Good luck

I'm the same as you, went through a bad patch and turned to booze but am coming out of it and want to be a moderate drinker.
        BondGirl;1385905 wrote: Hi there,

I'm moving over here from another forum that was only alcohol-free and didn't have a moderation forum.

I'm on my 24th day AF (except for ONE beer - more on that later.) I had moderate withdrawal - 4 to 5 days feeling like I was hung over, three days of being emotional, and by day 9, I was pretty much back to normal. What was very atypical for me was I had almost no cravings - its actually been pretty easy.

I got tired of hearing that I could never drink a drop again. I don't like it when people swear AA is the only way to go. I've been researching and learned there is more than one type of alcoholic, with different responses to treatment and different chances of success in moderation.

The one beer last Saturday was a test. It didn't give me any sort of buzz, and I didn't expect it to. It was a delicious porter at a brewery with friends. I drank it for taste, nursed it for an hour and a half (my one beer to everyone else's three) and stopped there. I felt like I was having a better time than I would have had wasted. Probably won't have another drink for a couple weeks.

My goal is to be mostly or completely AF for a few months while I fix up the rough patch in my life that led me to start overdoing it. I'll consider my moderation goals closer to that time. Looking to interact with like-minded individuals.

Best,
        -A.
        It's not what you drink, it's how much!

Comment

congratulations on your choice! it sounds to me that your mindset has changed - and that is the key to making different choices. knowing you sipped a delicious beer for that long - and didn't want to order another - bravo! i think you're on your way to a great life making some great choices! welcome!

Comment

Working...
          X