30 Days AF Monthly Moderation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, All. Thought I would check out this post and contribute, as I'm going for 30 days, which started on 1/2/13. (Unfortunately, I had a glass of wine at the end of moving on New Years day.) Good thing the month has 31 days!!

Ally, I'd love to hear more about the self-realization fellowship. I've done a lot of that sort of work through the years, including self awareness workshops and a whole lot of Landmark Education. Landmark Education is wonderful, especially if you can get by their marketing strategy, which includes bringing others into the curriculum (sp?). Very powerful and effective.

Eve, I love the concept of the restrained drinker, and think it fits perfectly for me. Perhaps I'm an alcoholic, perhaps not, but restraining is much more accurate than a true moderate whom doesn't think about that third (or fourth!) drink.

Day 7 AF for me today....
    Well the 1st are the hardest days don't you worry anymore.
    When life looks like easy street there is danger at your door.

Comment

DfromCT;1440416 wrote:
      Day 7 AF for me today....
      Per my day 7 post:

"Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory."
      George S. Patton

You accepted the 30 day challenge and have completed 7 days! Congratulations. Mark this milestone with a small reward?you CAN do this so keep going!!!!!

D,

Maybe keep reminding yourself of the times you didn't succumb (like the story about the red wine you just shared). You were able to say no then so keep reminding yourself of how you were strong enough then and therefore can continue to be strong enough for another 23 days.

:l
      Eve11
      "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

I'm not worried about today, but don't like to think about TWENTY THREE MORE DAYS. One day at a time, that's how to put a streak together. Who knows, maybe I'll go much further than 30 days, that was my goal last summer/fall when I went well over 100.

I think there's times when it's really easy, and others when it's difficult. Today, I'm a little down w/r/t my job, relationship with wife (which has been rocky since the move) and just in a low energy state. Don't really feel like drinking, but don't feel like doing much of anything! Not good from a work perspective. Really trying to force myself to pick up the phone...

Hope everyone else is having a great day.

Comment

Strike that from the record

DfromCT;1440625 wrote: I'm not worried about today, but don't like to think about TWENTY THREE MORE DAYS. One day at a time, that's how to put a streak together.
          Good reminder for me to hear D as it really is easier for most to just focus on one day at a time and I need to remember that. So, just as they say in all of those court shows, "strike that from the record"... pretend you didn't hear me saying "23 more days!"! This is all about "one day at a time", or one hour, one minute...etc.

Eve11

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

I'm now 1/2 way through my 30 days. Wondering how I will feel when I reach that magic number! Am I going to be able to moderate? Are there any guidelines as to who will be successful at it?
            I had my first real test of to drinking in a social situation on Saturday evening, and was successful. Had planned ahead what I would order instead, so that I would be prepared. It was quite nice actually to be ale to enjoy the evening, and not be stressing about how I'm going to get that next drink without anyone noticing, or if I can't, how soon can we get out of here so I can get home to drink freely. I actually enjoyed the evening......and the next day, even more so....LOL!

Comment

New Day: Way to go on reaching the 1/2 pt. to 30 days. If you're loving the AF time, no need to stop once you reach that goal. For me it was empowering to get there, but more enjoyable to continue on. Great job in the social setting as well. I know I've never regretted not drinking at an event.

Keep up the good work.

D

Comment

New Day;1444487 wrote: I'm now 1/2 way through my 30 days. Wondering how I will feel when I reach that magic number! Am I going to be able to moderate? Are there any guidelines as to who will be successful at it?
                ... It was quite nice actually to be ale to enjoy the evening, and not be stressing about how I'm going to get that next drink without anyone noticing, or if I can't, how soon can we get out of here so I can get home to drink freely. I actually enjoyed the evening......and the next day, even more so....LOL!
                New Day,

It may sound like I'm raining on the parade of moderators but for me personally, if you choose to moderate after your 30 days AF time then I think you may find it to be difficult about not stressing about how you're going to get that next drink, etc. as those who find this site have alcohol problems, and those who choose to moderate still have alcohol problems. They never allow themselves to get past the craving phase because they keep reintroducing alcohol back into their lives. So, many fight the battle almost everytime they drink of trying to curtail their drinking, restrain their drinking, making choices of not drinking too much by counting drinks and yes, worrying about how fast that one drink went down and "now I'm on two and I want to be through but that last one went down too quickly!." Fret, fret, worry, worry.

I have chosen moderation but restraining my drinking continues to be work for me. Sometimes I'm lucky and don't crave more than the 2 I allow myself. Other times I fret, plan, worry, etc. about how to NOT have that 3rd one and definitely not a fourth and it becomes a stressful event and not a relaxed evening like you described that you just had being AF. Trouble for me is I never know when I will be lucky and I when I won't be so moderation for me usually takes effort and a lot of work. Sometimes I'm lucky and feel like a normal drinker... have two, sometimes even only one and feel satisified. Just never know what I'm going to get once I start.

One has to determine for themselves if it's worth it. Maybe like D did, you'll hit the magic number and think "Hey this AF lifestyle is kind of nice" and keep going one more day. That's not a bad choice either.

Eve11

Comment

New day:

You sound so happy doing what you're doing! I'm happy for you!

Keep up the good job!
                  Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
                  A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

Day 2 AF

It doesn't sound like much, does it? I'm aiming for 30 days AF and am hoping I can get through it. I miss my usual bottle of wine, especially right now as it's 7pm here- the usual drinking hour.

My story is under tell us your story, titled "just need to get it out".

Well that's some of it. Maybe I'll admit to more of the negative ways alcohol has affected my life. Right now I'm not so sure I can come to terms with it.

One day at a time, right?

IDA

"Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake. " - Henry David Thoreau
                    ?Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.?- Henry David Thoreau

Comment

New day. This morning I woke up optimistic and feeling great. Then got to work and just got so bitchy! My skin is all red and I'm breaking out, everything is just getting on my last nerve. Today is day 3 AF and I'm realizing just how bad my problem is.

Comment

IDA,
                        For chroinic drinkers, DT's usually happen on day 3. Not sure of your drinking history, amount, etc. Let us know you are all right.

Eve11

Comment

Hi Eve,

Thanks for the concern and kind words. I'm doing pretty good, can't say I haven't wanted to open up my usual evening bottle of wine but each day that passes and each night I'm getting better sleep and wake up not feeling like shit or hungover makes the next day that much easier. My daily habit was a nightly bottle (or two) of wine before falling asleep (or really drinking till I passed out and called it sleep). I've taken some sleeping aids to help with the past few nights sleep but nothing extreme like ambien or lunestra. Also have been drinking herbal tea every night and if my roommates are drinking (which they do almost every night) I stay in my room cause I don't want to be around the booze.

Hoping I can continue this streak, 5 days doesn't sound like a lot to some people but it's crazy long to me.

Comment

InDreamsAwake;1446909 wrote:
                            Hoping I can continue this streak, 5 days doesn't sound like a lot to some people but it's crazy long to me.
                            IDA,

There are folks who can't make it through day 1 so don't discredit yourself...you are doing awesome. You also have the disadvantage of a lot of temptation with roommates who are drinking around you so pat yourself on the back for not getting sucked into that hole as well.

I think the nice part about testing the waters of abstinence is the fact that a person usually does sleep better and definitely feels better when they're not hung over and their body is fighting the ravages of the day before if they overdid it. You will also lower your tolerance the longer you can remain abstinent. So, if you do decide to try to go back to drinking, you will find that you will feel a buzz on fewer drinks than you needed before. There is such a health concern for people who over-drink as their tolerance can get so high that they don't realize the damage they are doing to their bodies. Having a high tolerance is like lacking an internal alarm system that other people have. The alcohol is in the bloodstream doing damage to the body and altering mental functions but there's nothing to warn a person that it's happening. So, it definitely becomes harm reduction if one decides to try to moderate their drinking but has been able to decrease their tolerance because they abstained for a while. Keep it up IDA, we're rooting for you!

Eve11

Comment

Hi, I don't think moderation will be best fo me. I would buy some and tell myself I'd only use one shot once in awhile. Then the opening of the bottle I'd celebrate by glugging a bunch in a glass. Then in a few days it would be all gone. So not good. I'm on day 3 of a concentrated effort to really stop this time. I'd like to enjoy some in the future, but don't think it'll happen.

Comment

thelaststraw;1459264 wrote: Hi, I don't think moderation will be best fo me. I would buy some and tell myself I'd only use one shot once in awhile. Then the opening of the bottle I'd celebrate by glugging a bunch in a glass. Then in a few days it would be all gone. So not good. I'm on day 3 of a concentrated effort to really stop this time. I'd like to enjoy some in the future, but don't think it'll happen.
                                thelaststraw,

Thanks for sharing and as you'll see on the different threads here you are not alone. Check in or post with us anytime and let us know how things are going for you. Abstinence can be a great thing as well! If you're on day 3, go to that day here on this 30 day thread and work your 30 days here if you want to. Post us any of your days regarding pearls of wisdom the thread has helped you with or anything you'd like to share to help others.

Eve11

Comment

Working...
                                X