30 Days AF Monthly Moderation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next, please;1412873 wrote: I know in my heart that AF is the best thing for me. However, there is still something stopping me from the "that's it. done. no more". I wish I was like some and just quit. I wish I had more self-discipline.

That being said, I've had more AF days this year than the previous decade strung together. I'm getting stronger and stronger in my ability to have an AF day. However, I still have a ways to go.

I am a Home Drinker and love the suggestion of cutting that out.
    :hallo: Next, am I'm looking in the mirror! Are you sure you're not me?! Good to see you on this thread. We have sooo much in common. I've been knocking around MWO for a year and one month now and still struggle, but, like you, more days AF than the last decade. That feels good. I love this thread and Eve's daily words of wisdom. I'm learning to focus on the good and the changes made. No longer a daily drinker but still struggling to be totally AF. I have plans though, big sober plans and I believe they're taking effect in their own sweet time. :l
    You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

Day 18

If you always do what you have always done you will always get what you have always got!

For most people, quitting takes a lot of strength, energy and good old fashioned hard work, especially in the beginning. For a couple of weeks now, NOT drinking has been your major focus and primary daily goal. As time goes on, it will get easier and the cravings will lessen. Many studies show that the re-introduction of alcohol is what sets the cravings in motion. Because you are trying to be alcohol free right now and are not reintroducing alcohol into your system, usually the cravings go away. Triggers can continue to happen however, as ad on television for example making drinking look so glamorous can trigger one into wanting to have “just one” or driving by the bar where you used to purchase your liquor tugs at you to stop. Learning about triggers can help prevent relapses.

At some point after people quit, the ones who make it for good often report a real change in the way they think about drinking. Signature lines here on the AF boards will show you that, statements such as “No thanks, I don’t drink”, etc. What you will find as time goes on is that choosing not to drink isn’t so hard and that all that stands between you and your success is one decision. That is the decision not to drink - no matter what. No excuses, of birthday, wedding, re-union, etc. Borrow a signature statement that you like and use it as a mantra: I enjoy this one that nurdl uses: "watching the AF days stack up like a string of pearls".

:l
      Eve11
      "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Hi Eve, I like Nurdl's line - think I shall use that as a mantra.

btw, I think this thread would be a good sticky - great info & support for those getting started or the likes of me having another go.

Comment

Day 19

“Obstacles don’t have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don’t turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.”
          ~Michael Jordan

For those of you who have been diligently following the program you have made it to 19 days. Now that you have made it this far, it is a good time to think back to situations that you have had in the past that may present problems in the future.

• If you were to go back to drinking or getting drunk tomorrow and breaking your cycle of AF days, what kind of situation would trigger it?
          • Where would you be?
          • What would you be doing?
          • What do you think the temptation would be?

With the holidays approaching (during the time this post is being written) it is important to think ahead so that you can prepare yourself for those “trigger” situations. In my life, I have a relative who is a big drinker. Things that have helped me in the past when he or other big drinkers are around me, is to have some interesting non-alcoholic beverages in stock. I have always enjoyed the social aspect of drinking and the “glass in the hand” so to speak. So a nice glass of an interesting non-al drink helps me feel festive in these social holiday events and beat the tempation of drinking.

Another helpful thing is to visualize yourself into the future situation before it happens. For example, a week before the holiday dinner, picture yourself already there. You see friends and family, you smell the aroma of the food and hear the clinking of the drink glasses. You begin to feel the urge to drink. Now, begin to imagine yourself beating this temptation. Visualize on how you decide to beat the temptation by doing something to distract yourself like entertaining the younger children with a board game, taking the dogs for a walk, or encouraging family members to play an outdoor sport like football in the back yard before dinner. This kind of looking ahead can be very helpful once you are in the real situation.

Eve11

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Day 20

Just say NO

There are a lot of things that happen if you are convicted of drunk driving in the United States, none of them are fun and most of them are expensive. There can be other consequences and costs associated with a DUI conviction - such as losing your job or having to go to rehab. Other countries may have even harsher penalties. With the holidays approaching, remember it is a good time to be AF and if not, have a designated driver if you are drinking. For those of us trying to maintain our 30 day AF program, following are some “fun” al free drinks so that you can get in the festive spirit too, just as tasty but without alcohol.

Cider Spritzer

If you can find it, Polar makes a Green Apple Seltzer that goes great 1/2 and 1/2 with cider.

Ginger Ale Mix

For large groups combine ginger ale, pomegranate juice, pineapple, orange and cranberry.
            Garnish with star fruit, berries, lemons, limes or oranges

"Ginless Tonic"

Squeeze one or two big wedges of fresh lime over ice in a glass, fill with tonic water. I swear, you won't miss the gin!

Yummy Summer Spritzer

Take a tall glass, fill with ice, and fill with either lemon/lime seltzer water or Fresca. Top it off with a nice berry juice such as cranberry, blueberry and pomegranate etc. Add some slices of lemons and limes and voila!

Lily Spritzer

Add 4 cans of Sierra Mist to a pitcher, add 1 pouch of Caprisun tropical fruit juice. pour into glasses and add 3 Marachino cherries to each. Pour just a little bit of the syrup to it. It's amazing!

Orange Bubbler on the rocks

Using a rocks glass mix equal parts of orange juice (not from concentrate, no pulp) with pomegranate juice and 7-up or ginger-ale (not sprite) add a squirt of black cherry concentrate. Then cover the top with shaved ice and serve.

Mock Pink Champagne

Mock Pink Champagne (1 1/2 quarts or 10 servings) 1/2 cup sugar 1 cup water 1 (6 oz) can frozen orange juice concentrate 1 (6 oz) can frozen grapefruit juice concentrate 1 (28 oz) bottle chilled ginger ale 1/3 cup grenadine syrup Early in day, mix sugar with water in saucepan and boil 5 minutes. Cool. Add frozen juice concentrates. Refrigerate. At serving time add ginger ale and grenadine syrup. Stir lightly.

Mockarita - low calorie

This comes very close to tasting like a real Margaritas. Take about 4 large limes and one lemon squeeze into a blender with a handful or so of ice add a can of sprite zero and a little salt blend until it’s the consistency you like. Pour in a chilled glass rimmed with salt and garnish with a lime wedge. The fact that it hardly has any calories is a bonus.

Ginger Lemonade
            Make a batch of regular lemonade and flavor with freshly grated ginger or fresh mint leaves. If a punch bowl is used, the leaves look lovely. Thin slices of lemon floating enhance the appearance as well as the lemony flavor.

Grape Fizz
            Mix two parts ginger ale to one part grape juice. It makes a refreshing, fizzy drink.

The final recipe is the recipe to avoid disaster so I want to end this post with someone’s opinion who struggles with any type of mock-tail. For her, even fake drinks can trigger temptation for the real thing so know thyself!

Alcohol free drinks
            For me, alcohol was a physical and emotional experience. I loved the taste, smell and feel of a drink. I don't want to fake that with a replica drink. Non-alcoholic beer, or club soda in a rocks glass or any mocktail is a danger for me. When I go out to a restaurant with friends, I stick to bottle water -- perhaps and Arnold Palmer ( Ice tea/Lemonade)...but, that's just me.

For me, (Eve 11) I'm opposite of the above poster. I do fine with mocktails and near beers, etc. We're all wired differently. Just gauge your way to success.

Eve11

Comment

Thanks for the drinks menu Eve And happy Thanksgiving to all of you over in the US :l Feeling pretty thankful over here too.

Comment

Another great drink that I love is Orange Creamsicle...Diet Sunkist (or reg) with a T of heavy whipping cream, or light whipping cream, or half and half. I use HWC and diet, which is technically low carb. Over ice is what I prefer.

"I like people too much or not at all."
                Sylvia Plath

Comment

LibraryGirl;1415340 wrote: Another great drink that I love is Orange Creamsicle...Diet Sunkist (or reg) with a T of heavy whipping cream, or light whipping cream, or half and half. I use HWC and diet, which is technically low carb. Over ice is what I prefer.
                  Sounds yummy, think I'll try it. Nice dessert drink!!
                  Eve11

Comment

Day 21

No one who achieves success does so without the help of others.
                    The wise and confident acknowledge this help with gratitude.
                    ~Alfred North Whitehead

One of the biggest parts of being positive and the law of attraction is appreciating what you have. As those of us in the States look forward to celebrating Thanksgiving, we encourage our friends in other countries to take this time to reflect with us on what we are thankful for.

An appreciation journal helps us to remember those things in our lives to be grateful for.
                    Remember that we have a thread on what we are grateful for in the long term moderation board:
                    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f3...add-67742.html
                    You can also encourage everyone in your family to keep his or her own appreciation journal. Every night before you go to bed write down 5-10 things that you appreciated that day in your journal. This is also a very rewarding task to do with your children. If your kids are too small, sit down with them and have them tell you what they appreciated and write it down for them. You will both benefit from the effort and they will go to sleep thankful and positive. Psychologists tell us that it takes 21 days of repetition to create a habit. Play it safe and keep your journal for at least a month and you will be thankful! And as we celebrate 21 days of being AF today, remember to be thankful that you have achieved this goal and if not, that you plan to achieve this the next time you make the decision to be AF and are appreciative that we can always make You turns in our lives.

I am thankful for MWO and all of the folks who support this site and each other.
                    Eve11

Comment

What a great idea Eve to get children involved in the gratitude list, such a gift for them to take through life. :l

Had a little Thanksgiving in the UK avec moi. The last few days I have been so much happier and the desire for alcohol really hasn't been there. Obviously no complacency but how wonderful it would be for this mindset to continue. Shall keep doing what I'm doing. Thanks again for this thread!

Comment

Day 22

Never Give Up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZlXWp6vFdE&feature=plcp[/video]]Powerful Inspirational true story...Don't give up! - YouTube

This video seems most fitting to watch the day after a big holiday where it may have been more difficult than expected to stay AF. Please take the minute or two it takes to watch as it is SO worthwhile. A true example of how we should never give up, and there is always an angel on earth for each and every one of us to help us along our journey of recovery.

Big :ls,
                        Eve11

Comment

Beautiful :l And it's been a magical day for me where the unexpected has popped its head up. I know I'm in the right place at the right time. Ladybird like x

Comment

Day 23

Instant gratification takes too long.
                            ~ Carrie Fisher

Sometimes we wonder why kids today can’t wait for anything. Seems my teenage son needs instant gratification with whatever it is that he thinks he wants. Then I look at his life and I realize that this “have to have it now” attitude is exemplified by the use of computers, cell phones, and text messaging, things that were foreign to me when I was his age. I really worry about him when he grows up as alcohol also satisfies the desire for immediate gratification by acting as a social lubricant or liquid courage. He has a great personality so he doesn’t need the liquid courage, but I can totally see him having fun with drinking and taking it to the extreme as he is raised in this environment of "gotta have it now and keep it coming." Take a moment today to ponder this thought, even as you struggle with trying to be AF and not having a drink today as you reflect on the “gotta have one now" attitude so prevalent in our lives today.

Remember it takes a good 30 days to really begin to feel better physically, sleep better, and visually see differences in your self. Take the time to get there, and stick with your commitment.

Comment

Day 24

Whatever you believe with feeling becomes your reality.
                              Brian Tracy

Today is a day to reflect how you feel physically when you don’t drink, how you look (are your eyes brighter, complexion better (less red, puffy, etc.). Then ask yourself if you are still carrying around the identity of a drinker. The better you feel and the more you value yourself, the less likely you are going to make excuses to drink like you used to.

For some people, the experience of drinking gave them an identity that helped them fit in, more than the peer pressure to use. Some still struggle as shared on other posts, where it may be a work situation and people are expected to have a cocktail over business conversations or take a client to dinner and not make him or her feel uncomfortable because they (the host) no longer drink. These situations can be very challenging and it can be difficult at times as to how to best handle them as there can be many different variables as to how one should proceed. For example, it may not be in one’s best interest with a certain client to share that they are recovering so an excuse of making it sound like they are just not drinking “tonight” may have to be used in certain situations. This subject could warrant an entire thread to how things should best be handled but for today, let’s just focus on how good we feel without alcohol in our system, and how we like the identify of being a non-drinker who is not consumed with the thought of when that next drink will occur.

Eve11

Comment

Good thread. I am going for 30 days too. exactly 30 days till christmas. Are you planning to moderate after the 30 days or you still going to continue being AF?

Comment

Working...
                                X