Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To mod or not to mod

Hi all

Sooo after 2years of living out of my home country and being lonely I doubled my already bad wine habit from 1 bottle a night to 2 bottles day and night, and I was feeling dreadful skin red, sleeping pattern dreadful, I decided last Sunday 11th to go AF, at first was awful but now sat 17th I feel fantastic, however I don't think il manage completely AF, especially with a weeks holiday coming up beg dec and Xmas new year, I was wondering do you think I'm a good candidate to mod, I'm worried if I don't I will go on a bender, is it not better to educate the brain an try and be a normal/ light drinker which I once was approx 6 years ago

Ana

To mod or not to mod

Hello Anastasia1234,

I started a 30 day AF thread here on the monthly moderation site. Go here to read it as you may pick up some pearls of wisdom. https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...ion-69752.html

No-one here will have your answer regarding whether you can moderate or not. That part of the journey will be you on your own but we will be helpers along the way to guide, share our stories, and try to protect you as best as we can with trying to maintain the fine line of not being too co-dependent with you. There is another thread entitled "Can you moderate?" that asks you to take a questionairre that may give you an idea of whether or not you are a candidate to moderate. Go here for that thread:
    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f3...ate-68441.html

Your red skin from drinking concerns me as one of the earliest signs of alcohol abuse is a persistently red face due to enlarged blood vessels. This appears because regulation of vascular control in the brain fails with sustained alcohol intake. Some people however just have a temporary redness from drinking known as flushing. This is due to acetaldehyde which is the main breakdown product of alcohol. Acetaldehyde is thought to cause flushing by stimulating release of histamine. So, hard to tell whether your drinking is abuse (temporary redness) or chronic and that makes a big difference whether someone can moderate or not. True alcholics generally are not successful with moderation and do better with abstinence. The beauty of coming here however, is we are open on this forum as to what you think you need to do and to post however you are feeling about your situation.

Editing this post after re-reading your post:
    Good for you that you accomplished some AF time without physical problems or I would have advised to talk to your medical provider first as some folks can go through DT's when they quit cold turkey. How are you feeling with being AF for 6 days? I would think you are sleeping better. Has the redness in your face gone away? Many people feel so great with AF days under their belt and sleeping and feeling better that they choose not to go back to drinking. Somehow it loses it's appeal when one feels so much better without it.
    Keep us posted!

:l
    Eve11
    "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

To mod or not to mod

Hi Eva

Just read through your 30day thread, found it very good picked ip lots of advice I'm so how'd I've found this website
      Re my red face it has gone almost back to the normal colour after 6 days AF, and I was doing so well until an avert in our local village tonight where everyone is drinking the local brewery have even got a wagon with thousands of beer there lol ;-)

But on a plus side I had 1 small beer, and truly didn't care for another, maybe because it was too cold, I ave arrived home and shared a 750 ml bottle of wine with my partner, I've still some left yet, I'm giving myself one last try at mod drinking and if I f**k it up I will go AF, as tomorrow Sunday until at least Friday I plan to be AF then mod at weekends or special events ;-))) let's see

Crazy thing is this last 6 days without the support of thi website that I'm sooo lucky to find and my will power I would have drank at least 12 bottles of wine plus 7/8 cans of lager and I've swapped to half bottle of wine to half a lager very happy girl

And grateful to this website

Ana x

Comment

To mod or not to mod

Eve, informed, non-judgemental, balanced post. Thank you, loving your posts
        You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

Working...
        X