Back again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back again

Been on this site in 2009 and lasted a month without a drink. but my best friends are big drinkers and before we went on our annual camping trip they were not happy that I was not going to drink. Sooo i buckled. My problem is dining out. I love the wine and dine experience - even on my own. Although I think I may use the dining as an excuse.

I am now with a great guy and at first he was cool with my drinking but now he's over it. Don't blame him. I have however one lifeline with him. My guy and I are off overseas for 5 months. If we dine out he is lucky to have one al drink. Therefore I think I can get on top of things in that 5 months. I know in that month of abstinence I was really on top of it so I think 5 months will be a change of lifestyle.

I am torn between trying to learn to drink one or two when I dine out or quitting altogether. I will start with a month of abstinence and see how I go from there. Taking my ipad with me to stay in touch as this site was a huge help the last time. Wish me luck!

Back again

Hi, BeingMe,

Even though you have been here before, the Newbies Nest ( link in my signature) is a great place to get support on those first 30 days. Hope to see you there!

NS

being me;1479804 wrote: Been on this site in 2009 and lasted a month without a drink. but my best friends are big drinkers and before we went on our annual camping trip they were not happy that I was not going to drink. Sooo i buckled. My problem is dining out. I love the wine and dine experience - even on my own. Although I think I may use the dining as an excuse.

I am now with a great guy and at first he was cool with my drinking but now he's over it. Don't blame him. I have however one lifeline with him. My guy and I are off overseas for 5 months. If we dine out he is lucky to have one al drink. Therefore I think I can get on top of things in that 5 months. I know in that month of abstinence I was really on top of it so I think 5 months will be a change of lifestyle.

I am torn between trying to learn to drink one or two when I dine out or quitting altogether. I will start with a month of abstinence and see how I go from there. Taking my ipad with me to stay in touch as this site was a huge help the last time. Wish me luck!

Comment

Back again

I used to be somewhat of a critic of the 30 day absistence period, but having done it myself, it does help - not only with your thinking, but cleansing your body, detoxing if you will, etc. I reccommend to not limit it to drinking, try and eat healthier during this. You don't have to be a health nut, but try and definitely stay away from processed foods oh, and above all...SUGAR!!!! The worst thing you can put into your body.

There's nothing wrong with enjoying wine with a meal, actually, that is really what wine was made for. I understand how wine can get tricky...it goes down so easy, it has more alcohol than you realize (and sugar), and can creep up on you.

Believe it or not, there is actually a proper way to drink wine that enforces that you don't guzzle it. It's hard to explain, I'm sure you can google it, or perhaps find it on youtube, but essentially you sip it with your mouth slightly open so air gets into your mouth...the air helps opening up the wine in your mouth and makes for a much better, and fuller, believe it or not sip. You will notice the taste of the wine still permeating in your mouth, you won't want another right away, you enjoy that one for quite some time...I know it sounds crazy, but it's true...

:-)

j.

Comment

Back again

I agree with you about problems with dietary sugar, Stewarts, but right now I think diet and especially wine-drinking tips are not what BeingMe or most others on MWO, except perhaps in dedicated moderation threads, need. We need help not to drink alcohol at all. She said she wants to be AF for 1 month.

Stewarts;1480164 wrote:
        I used to be somewhat of a critic of the 30 day absistence period, but having done it myself, it does help - not only with your thinking, but cleansing your body, detoxing if you will, etc. I reccommend to not limit it to drinking, try and eat healthier during this. You don't have to be a health nut, but try and definitely stay away from processed foods oh, and above all...SUGAR!!!! The worst thing you can put into your body.

There's nothing wrong with enjoying wine with a meal, actually, that is really what wine was made for. I understand how wine can get tricky...it goes down so easy, it has more alcohol than you realize (and sugar), and can creep up on you.

Believe it or not, there is actually a proper way to drink wine that enforces that you don't guzzle it. It's hard to explain, I'm sure you can google it, or perhaps find it on youtube, but essentially you sip it with your mouth slightly open so air gets into your mouth...the air helps opening up the wine in your mouth and makes for a much better, and fuller, believe it or not sip. You will notice the taste of the wine still permeating in your mouth, you won't want another right away, you enjoy that one for quite some time...I know it sounds crazy, but it's true...

:-)

j.

Comment

Back again

NoSugar;1480177 wrote: I agree with you about problems with dietary sugar, Stewarts, but right now I think diet and especially wine-drinking tips are not what BeingMe or most others on MWO, except perhaps in dedicated moderation threads, need. We need help not to drink alcohol at all. She said she wants to be AF for 1 month.
          Hi NoSugar,

I don't think I've had the pleasure of meeting you yet so welcome to our moderation forum site. To clarify Stewarts advice, he is responding to someone posting in a dedicated moderation thread. We do of course welcome people trying to abstain who want to post here and also encourage new folks who come here thinking that they want to moderate to consider abstaining for 30 days to detox (as Stewarts said).

I did like your advice to refer BeingMe to Newbie's Nest as there is very good support there for abstaining. We do however have a 30 day AF thread here in the moderation forum where she would get support as well, especially if she is considering moderation after 30 days. My main concern for her posting a 30 day abstinence goal with the fact that she may try moderation afterwards is that it doesn't go over too well for some folks in abstinence only threads who should never attempt moderation and have a hard time dealing with folks who think moderation is possible. Anyway, I am not saying this to cause any hard feelings but just wanted to clarify that this is a moderation thread that BeingMe posted on so I agree with the advice Stewarts gave. It was truly given with the best intentions. A lot of this (especially for newbies) is just trial and error of what threads give us the best support we need and then making the choice to hang there.
          :l
          Eve11
          "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
          X