Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there really a light at the end of this tunnel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry Tawnyfrog for cutting that last post short, my wife walked in on me, I have not told her that I have decided to stop drinking yet. Anyway, thanks for your post and I wish you well, your post was inspiring.

rem

Comment

Hi,
      I just wanted you to know that I read your story and it is exactly what I have been doing now since 1999. And I'm so sick of the life I have made for myself. But today I'm going to start my change of a new life and thankyou for your story. Because it helped me decide to sign up and try to get a grip on my life. Although I'm going to do this and not let my family know, so that people don't make a big deal about it. So again thanks

Comment

Welcome Haylee,

Glad you found us. I also haven't told anyone what I'm doing. I need to do this for ME but if I'm completely honest, I probably have a fear of failure and couldn't stand comments like "well, that didn't last very long".

Keep reading and keep posting. It really works. I'm down to 3 drinks a day which for me is a remarkable situation.

Tawny

Comment

Hey paintstrokes

How did you go? Did the beer call you? There's always tomorrow. Keep posting.

Tawny

Comment

Beer Calling

Hi,
            Thanks for the message.
            Yes, the beer called and won. I think I'm going to have a better chance at winning next time I try because I have caring people like you out there that is in the same place and giving me lot of support. I'm going to download the book as well. Maybe that will help. I know I need a game plan. It doesn't help when there is someone else at home that drinks too and he really isn't ready to quit yet. I need to work on this some more. Any suggestions from anyone who has someone else at home that is drinking? It's hard to have the beer in the house and not drink it.
            I did quit smoking years ago and I know it was a lot harder with someone else in the house that smoked.

Comment

Hi,
              I know you said you had not told your wife yet that you are quitting, but have you actually quit or are you thinking about quitting. Don't you think she will notice? Does she drink?
              Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to figure out how you are going to make this work for you.

Comment

Yes, it is very hard with someone in the house who is drinking. My husband and I both have this problem. Both of us have tried to quit at different times, and it didn't work out for either of us. Whichever one of us was sober at the time got so disgusted with the drunken one, the only way we could stand it was to get drunk, too!

But we both want to quit...we just couldn't make it work.

We are trying this together. We share (fight over) the CDs, count out the supplements each week into the humongous pill dispenser, and remind each other to take supps and meds. We both lived a completely sober lifestyle for over 10 years before this lapse into insanity, and we very much want that back. We have small goals at this point......drink only between 5pm and 8pm, no more than 3 drinks......being clearheaded instead of "fuzzy" in the morning, those kind of things.

We are hoping for a slow but steady and lasting improvement in our lifestyle, not an instant ceasefire that may get broken

The stress is not so much there, either from the supps, or from the goals.

I've messed up twice since starting the program and once since getting the topa......but that means I've had 7 days where I *did* meet my goals......and that is 7 more days than I've had in a while.

Hang in there!

Darlene

Comment

Telling

I am going to quit, and yes she drinks too. We have discussed it since my first posting. I have even told her about stumbling across this board site. She is interested in coming on here and reading. I think she is close to making the same decision that I have made. I'm just waiting on the supps, I ordered enough for her too because I had anticipated that once I told her about everything she would want to come along. I think I might be right, I hope so.

rem

Comment

Re: Telling

Hey Rem,
                    Very well done on 'telling'. Best of luck with your wife.. I hope you're both inspired & getting healthy together soon.
                    MFM

Comment

Welcome Tawny and the rest of the Gang,
                      How well I can relate to trying to piece together the previous evening by the clues (bottles,etc) left around. I was so ashamed . I am in my 8th week (7th week with topa) and am truly shocked. I drink 2 glasses of wine an evening, which would have previously been 2 bottles of wine +. Often I pour a 3rd glass but find it some where in the morning--I just wasn't interested. How could that be!!??!!
                      I've been taking all the supplements, listening to the CD's and doing the exercise plus the topa. I have plataued at 200mg a day for a while since the stupids were a bit disconcerting.
                      Hang in there. We are here for you.
                      Pat
                      PS My husband also drinks (never the amount I did) but his drinking doesn't seem to effect me at all.

Comment

WOW gardener56 this post has me in absolute awe. I want to be in your place. I will absolutely break down my awful thingie about doctors and go get topa if this is really where this incredible ride will take me.

Ter

Comment

I probably found the solution today

I have the same problem, I feel the same as most of us do.
                          I work in my own business, so after 5 or 6 pm, when most employees have gone home, I took the habit of heavy dinking, more and more, until 3am at night and every evening.

I started with wine, then vodka, gin and now decided to move on to beer, thinking it would do less harm. But 10 beers every evening is no solution and not much better than gin or vodka... it's just all a matter of alcohol quantity.

This week-end I visited my parents and didn't drink, as I kind of feel ashamed to do it in front on them.

48 hours without drinking lead me to strong withdrawal sympmss, so I read tons of articles.

I SEEMED TO HAVE FOUND A WAY OUT.

To avoid the withdrawal symptomps I took 100 drops of Valium (for some 20 could be enough). Valium takes effect rapidly, so you should take as much as needed. If you are not familiar with Valium or Xanax, pay attention and take it very gradually, to test how your body reacts. Valium will both keep away the anxiety and the nervousness that stopping drinking takes.

Then, a staggering surpise. I read about Naltrexone and went to a friend of mine who owns a pharmacy and gave it to me, without the need of a recipy... I wanted to test it immediately.

I took one (50mg) and then started drinking a beer as I was craving.

Well that beer was something like bad tasting water to me as naltrexone acts as on opium inhibitor.

The gratification of alcohol disappeared. I'm now at the start of my second beer and don't feel much attracted at it. Ususally I craved for it and would now be at my fourth.

It will be a long way. Will will come first but with these two big helpers, I now feel I can do it!

Ask your doctor just Valium and Naltrexone and see how it works for you.

Comment

Really related to your message

Was so pleased to read your message. As a teenager a night out would consist of three drinks only which was plenty. Now suddenly, I am 52 and can happily (?) down a bottle of vodka when not at work the next day. I do not even get hangovers any more. If I am found smelling of alcohol at work again I will be sacked so am having to exercise self control when working the next day.This means working out what I can drink without smelling of alcohol. This in itself causes huge anxiety. As well as the liking for the feeling alcohol gives I also think there is a 'habit' involved and we need to find a distraction.
                            I am going on a holiday of a lifetime on 16th May - South Africa - where my normal routine will not exist and where I will be doing wonderful things, which I hope will make me think of other things than alcohol. The test will be when I get back home. Will I fall back into habitual drinking?
                            You say you love your habitat so I wonder why you have resorted to alcohol? Do you have any idea why? Regards Frances

Comment

Re: Welcome!

Hi tawney I'm on day 4 and can relate. This is the oddest feeling to have a clear head. I'm thinking about drinking all the time but so far have remained strong. I'm nervous about the weekend I think I'll be taking olot of walks!! Take care, Blair

Comment

My story, what I can remember of it. I am 46 years old 2 grown children. I have been an alcoholic since about age 15. I was married for 25 years, but thought the grass was greener elseware. I left my husband 5 years ago. I moved to the other side of the state with my boyfriend 4 years ago we own 2 restaurants in a small town that is dying. My stress level is through the roof trying to keep the bills paid.

I drink 3 to 5 days a week. I drink to get drunk. Joe hates my drinking and last night we had a huge fight over the phone about it. I lie about how much but he knows. I don't know if he will be back.
                                I have been looking for a way to quit, I really hate myself for drinking. Then today I found this site. "Thank God" I now have hope.

I can't change the past but I feel healed and I now know I will be o.k.

Comment

Working...
                                X