MY Story (so far).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MY Story (so far).

This started out as a PM to a new member, but got a bit out of hand, so I thought it should go here. I'll probably come back and edit, but here's what I have so far:

I just wanted to give you a little background and share what I did when I started to think about cutting down on alcohol.

I'm early 40's, originally from UK and have been in Singapore with my Husband and family for a few years.

I was a wine drinker. Red/ fizzy red /fizzy white, I drank every evening, usually 3/4 to a bottle at a time, sometimes a gin or a beer as well. I thought I was functioning well...until I stopped and felt the diference.

When I decided I was going to stop I came on here, read everything I could, and started to cut back. I was really worried about not having any wine at all, so I bought myself a 250ml bottle every day. Couldn't buy two because I would have had them both, can't have wine in the house. I then started to have the odd AF day - didn't feel so bad because I knew I could have my little bottle the next day. Then I did 2 days, then 3 etc etc. I used the drink tracker and put smiley faces on the calender, and bought charms for my bracelet when I hit self-set targets.

There was still a lot of 'head chat' going on about whether or not I was going to drink or not that day, and if so how much. Early on I had a binge that resulted in me being violently ill and hungover for 2 days - not usual for my 'drinking character'.

Thats when I decided to do 30 days. It takes away the choice. The decision is made for you. Some family members told me I couldn't do it as 'I never stick at anything'.

Well 30 days is done. I've been hysterical with excitement today, and can't believe how good I feel.

I wouldn't have done it without MWO and the huge amount of support from members all over the world in all different circumstances. Thank you all.

This is my story, and I realise that things could have been a lot worse had I not stopped now. But I'm so grateful for where I'm at.

Thank You. (Again!)

B.:thanks:
    Proud to be SLIGHTLY SLOVENLY.:wavin:

[/COLOR]

MY Story (so far).

well done Sweaty, whats the plan now, are you going to remain af? I admire your determination that got you here, you inspire us all.

Comment

MY Story (so far).

Bloody Marvellous!

I just wanted to say Brilliant, well done Betty....

I am so proud of you. I too would be interested to know what you plan to do now you have reached this landmark..AF/Mod or see how it goes?
      Day 17 of 55 here. I know what you mean about feeling so great. I can hardly wait to get to 30 days. just to see if its possible to feel even better than I do now and have even more energy....lol

Anyway, great post, inspirational and motivating. And again very well done.

Love Moo
      "The greatest thing in the world is not so much where we are,
      but in what direction we are moving."

Comment

MY Story (so far).

Betty you are an inspiration!
        AF since 7/26/2009

"There is nothing noble in being superior to other man. The true nobility is being superior to your previous self."--Hindu proverb.

"Sobriety isn't a landing but rather a journey." anonymous

Comment

MY Story (so far).

Thank you. I'm going to 'suck it and see' as far as what's next. I think I'm aiming for what Sunbeam does, to be able to Mod on 'occasions', I'm not going to keep wine in the house. I have a big occasion on Sunday involving champagne, which I'm not sure how I'm feeling about, (a bit nervous I think) and friends are visiting from Oz at the same time, so I'm just really 'observing' how I feel re AL over the next week or so. Health wise though I feel fantastic - didn't lose any weight, but am getting ready to tackle that one next. I'll keep you posted. Bxx
          Proud to be SLIGHTLY SLOVENLY.:wavin:

[/COLOR]

Comment

MY Story (so far).

thats great thanks for sharing ..keep up the good work
            :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
            best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

MY Story (so far).

Fab job Betty..Brilliant!!

Comment

MY Story (so far).

Hi Sweaty Betty,
                I'm so glad you've hit your goal! It is easier when the decision is made for you and you don't have all that chatter going on. Now you've proven to yourself that not only can you be AF, you can feel great physically and mentally. Keep putting those smiley faces on the calendar. I can relate to the "never sticking to anything." I understand completely! But you've proven them wrong and are stronger now more than ever!
                Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

MY Story (so far).

Hi Betty,
                  Thanks for sharing a bit more about yourself. I wish this "Your Story" feature were used more often by people to share their success, not just when starting out.

I think I need to develop some electronic hats or something for the Sunbeam Club members!
                  My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

MY Story (so far).

well done!! you must be so proud of yourself..what an achivement...good luck with what you decide to do
                    When you can look a thing in the eye,
                    Acknowledge that it exists,
                    Call it exactly what it is,
                    And decide what role it will play in your life,
                    Then my beloved,
                    You have taken the first step toward your freedom.
                    Iyanla Vanzant

Comment

MY Story (so far).

Hi Betty, Thanks for your PM. I'm building up to making the first step to AF, if I can just do that, it will be a start. Then perhaps, I will make my own radio show. Thanks for your encouragement. Pro

Comment

Working...
                      X