Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am ready to quit

:new:

I am 32 years old, and have been drinking to the point of blackouts, or I pass out, almost on a daily basis for about 8 months now. Before that, I had never really liked drinking except for an occasional beer or two with friends, but it has been years since I really drank socially, so how I started drinking as I do now has a bit of history behind it.

I smoked an "herb" for about 10 years, and one day I told myself I was going to quit smoking before I turned 30 because I was tired or wasting time, money, and my brain cells. I was able to quit almost effortlessly four months before turning 30, only having a craving to smoke for the first day or two after my last smoking session. I was surprised at how easy it was, and wondered why I had not stopped sooner.

One day (more than a year after quitting the herb), while thinking about wanting to have some fun and feel high, I considered alcohol. I went out to the movie rental store, got a couple of movies, and stopped by the liquor store and bought a six-pack of beer. When I got home, popped in the DVD, and started watching and drinking. By the time I got to the sixth beer, I had a light buzz, but it wasn't as satisfying as I had hoped.

A few months later (I had not drank since the movie and beer episode), I started thinking about how more potent liquor would effect me, so I went to the store, bought a bottle of rum and a 2-liter of soda. I found that this “rum” buzz was more of what I had in mind... and less drinking time required! What a miserable road I was leading myself down. At first, I'd only drink on my days off from work, and not to the point of passing out or blackouts, but I gradually added more days on, and soon, it was almost every day of the week.

What a miserable life to live. Now, all I do is work, go home, do any chores that need to be done, and after that, watch TV and drink, drink, drink. I am disgusted with myself. So now, I am going to put it to an end. I woke up today, as usual, still feeling a light buzz, and just crappy. I have been consistently 3- 5 minutes late to work every day for the past several months because I barely feel like getting out of bed. I am fortunate I have not been fired yet, but my reliability keeps me in the safe zone since I have only missed one day of work in the last 3 and a half years, and the occupation I hold tends to be hard to fill or hard to find people who don’t want to quit after working for a while because it is a night job (11p-7a). I am going to college, and thankfully, I have somehow avoided any problems in that area, but I am afraid that if I do continue to drink, my grades will suffer as I can barely manage all of my daily goings-on.

Well, thanks for reading, and I wish you all well, and good luck on your quest for clarity and pureness. I cannot wait for tomorrow. I just know I will feel better after ending this day without drinking, but I do not look forward to the cravings

I am ready to quit

Hi there Parti, and welcome.
    Go for it, and deal with this now, as you are doing. If you continue down the path you've been on, you will most likely find you'll be consuming more and more alcohol, and doing damage in every area of your life. You could eventually lose your job, and uni course, as your drinking increases, not to mention friends, family, your soul, spirit, self, dignity, the list goes on. Much of this happened to me. When i removed grog from my life, magic started to happen.
    Sounds like you're on the right track there friend. Read the 'toolbox' thread in the 'monthly abstinence' forums. Some good tip's there to get through the early day's. Drink plenty of water, and keep busy/distracted. Go for it!..............G.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

I am ready to quit

You're totally right, Guitarista, and thank you for your support.

[Day 2]

So I made it through day 1 without a drink, but it is not that unusual as I often go for one or two days a week without drinking. Looking back on my behavior, and my selfishness, I can't understand why I was so careless. AL is a very strong drug, especially when you increase the amount you drink gradually. I was drinking a pint of spiced rum a day, mixed with various types of soda, but usually ginger ale. When I think about all the calories, and all the sugar I was consuming (along with my poor diet and consumption of junk food), I will not be surprised if I am diagnosed with diabetes the next time I get a physical.

I am changing my diet along with ridding my nasty AL addiction. I am not really fond of low-carb diets as we miss out on a lot of healthful antioxidants and fiber by not eating fruits and grains, but I have been reading this book called the TNT Diet (Targeted Nutrition Tactics), and while the program uses a low-carb diet, it is not “forever.” In fact, you are allowed several “free days” per week, if you choose to do so, to eat things such as a few slices of pizza or a burger (mind you, these foods should still be as healthy as possible, with minimally processed ingredients).

The idea behind the diet is to empty your muscles’ glycogen (energy) storage tanks, which helps your body more efficiently burn fat as its first choice of energy. According to the book I am reading, carbs are stored in your muscles and are used as your primary energy source, but if you consume an excessive amount of carbs, your “storage tanks” begin to overflow, and when this happens, all incoming carbs are used for energy, rather than what is in your storage a tanks, and any leftovers are carried off to your liver, then converted into fat.

Anyway, I won’t read the whole book to you, but I would like to mention that I will incorporate a resistance training regimen suggested by the program to help prevent muscle loss, as this is common when people start losing weight. I have also decided to include some cardio to help improve my overall strength endurance (while burning some extra calories!)

[Question] I have read that one beer or one glass of wine a day is good for you. Anyone have any input on this statement as I was wondering if it would help minimize serious (if not, dangerous) withdraw symptoms? I know that for an alcoholic, knowing when to stop once you’ve had that first glass is difficult, if not impossible. I Just wanted to get some input on this, but I am willing to put my money on the idea that it is not something one should do when trying to end a serious AL addiction.

Best regards to all, and I wish you all the best of luck today!

Comment

I am ready to quit

Hi Parti,
        If you're worried about withdrawals, seek medical advice. If you're trying to give up drinking, then stay off it. Best wishes.................G.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

I am ready to quit

Welcome Partic. You are very clear in your post that change is due - that is awesome and the right beginning. I think it's very useful to have a new direction like exercise and diet change to move TOWARD as you turn your back on alcohol.
          As for withdrawal I agree with Guitarista - medical advice is best. Certainly some people handle withdrawal by tapering alcohol but the logistics of it are tricky. And "one beer or one glass of wine is good for you," - I would say not really for YOU personally. There is a long list of healthy things to choose from and it probably doesn't make sense to put it on YOUR list.
          Best of luck to you! Hope you are having a fabulous day.
          Drinking has been my hobby for several years now. It's time to get a new hobby

Comment

I am ready to quit

Thanks for the advice and support Guitarista and Luvwins; it is well taken.

[Day 3]

Just a quick post as I do not have much time. All is well... I feel well and I have not had any cravings. Can anyone tell me when the withdrawal symptoms and cravings start? I know everyone is different, but maybe just a roughly estimated range of time.

Best wishes to all!

Comment

I am ready to quit

Partic - Good work. Everybody is different with cravings and WD. I have read some very severe examples and some where the individual had no WDs. Personally, I'm on day 4. Day 1 was very minor (just mental of what do I do with myself during my drinking hours...this has kept up but becoming less and less a factor), day 2 was the worst (shaky, brain going at mach 10, some stomach cramps), day 3 was mostly fine with WD on and off for brief periods, and today is day 4! Who knows, maybe you'll be a lucky one and not get WDs (others might disagree?). As for the cravings, I plan for this to be a life long test, but a test I plan to pass! LT

Comment

I am ready to quit

Congrats Partic on Day 3.
                Here's the standard medical approach on withdrawal duration (this quote is in the context of treatment with meds - obviously not directly applicable to you):
                "Without medication, alcohol-withdrawal symptoms might be expected to peak about 72 hours after the last use of alcohol, but medications can reduce symptoms within hours. ................, medication is typically needed for no more than seven days after the last use of alcohol, although some patients will report withdrawal symptoms, including sleep problems, for several more weeks." from New England Journal of Medicine.

The sleep problems going on for weeks seems to be pretty common from what other people have reported here. For me headaches at 2 to 3 days out have been a surprising and annoying symptom.
                Drinking has been my hobby for several years now. It's time to get a new hobby

Comment

I am ready to quit

Thanks to you both, last10years and Luvwins, for the feedback on withdrawal, for congratulating me, and for the encouragement!

[Day 4]

I will be honest, from time to time over the last several days, the thought of drinking has passed through my mind, but I quickly transfer those thoughts to something more productive or important. However, it does not seem (or feel) like a craving, but more of like a habitual thought that is progressively fading.

I feel pretty good today, despite not getting much sleep because I was rather irresponsible and just could not stop watching Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles. Dang it.... another addiction (lol). But seriously, I have not really had any withdrawal symptoms yet (thankfully); no headaches, stomachaches, shaking, or nausea. I did, however, (for a couple of minutes yesterday—day3) have some weird feeling while driving to college. I would describe it as anxiety, but it wasn't the kind I usually feel in my chest, but more of like a pressure in my brain - weird. Luckily it did not last long, and I have not felt it since. I don't know if it is alcohol related, or something else.

I am sticking to my healthier diet and downing tons of water, along with several supplements, and I attest those to be what are helping me manage (and of course, all of you here at MWO).

I must get going for now. I hope everyone has an awesome day, and good luck!

Comment

I am ready to quit

Hello Partic - Your pressure in your head? I get it at night a little bit and then it goes away. Shouldn't last long hopefully. Nice, pleasant reminder why I don't want to go where I came from! Have a great AF day 5! I'm on 5 myself and feel good (not perfect, but a heck of a lot better than the alternative!)...LT

Comment

I am ready to quit

Just some thoughts...

I am still worrying about withdrawal. I do not feel like I am out of the woods. I read somewhere that those who drank a pint or more of liquor for an extended period of time are at risk of having alcoholic seizures. I drank a pint of Sailor Jerry's rum (92 proof!) almost every day of the week for 8 months.

I will heed the advice I have been offered to seek medical advice or treatment if anything severe happens, but I want to try to bear it out for as long as possible as I am not really financial stable. I still look back and wonder why I used to spend my money on all the alcohol and junk I used to buy, going beyond my means. What a pathetic slob - heh.

I don't even know why I drank as much as I did. I did not have an exceptionally high tolerance to alcohol. Every time I would settled down for the day, turn on the TV, and start drinking, I would be out within an hour to an hour and a half. I don't even remember being able to enjoy the buzz; I only remember waking up thinking, "Oh, crap! Am I late for work?" or, "I wonder how many phone calls I missed today?" I would rarely wake up to a phone call when I drank, and I was always so worried that I would miss an important phone call, all thanks to my selfishness.

Why did I even buy food to eat after I started drinking? I would put off eating dinner until after I started drinking, thinking I would enjoy it more every time. But many times when I drank, I blacked out, and never remembered eating after waking up with a horrible hangover, or still buzzing. There were even times when I'd cook and then pass out before I ate, and when I would wake up, I'd realize that fact and just think, "What a waste..." after having the food set on my kitchen counter for 6 or 7 hours.

Pathetic, and such a waste life and money.

Comment

I am ready to quit

Hi Particalist, you ego all the words of remorse that I have beaten myself up with countless of times.Yes, it's money thrown down the drain. But more then that - it's crippling to mind and body. I'm battling but I refuse to give up - and all the success stories here keeps inspiring me.
                        We can change.
                        make the least of the worst, and the most of the best - everyday.

Comment

I am ready to quit

Hiya, .............clarity and pureness.....I liked this, nicely put. I am 3 months sober and I tell you , it is def getting clearer and i have much more respect for myself already! Best Wishes Sez
                          Sober since Jan 17th 09
                          Smoke free since 20th Nov 08 :H

Comment

I am ready to quit

Great job all and keep it up! I am on day 6 and have been surprisinly OK. In the past I had the cravings something awful and couldn't make it past day 3. So keep up the hope and keep trucking. So far I have only had some slight anxiety, difficulty sleeping(the biggest reason I drank), and occasional slight shakiness that was only for a short time and relieved by calms forte.
                            I can't believe I;m going to make it to one full wk, since that hasn't happened in YEARS.

Let;s all stick to it. Even though I am having trouble sleeping, I feel more awake and alert in the mornings than in a LONG time.

Comment

I am ready to quit

Hello, I am new, and am dying to get away from alcohol - it has been my life from early on, and I am 55 now. I am living in Spain and drinking is a way of life almost, but I hate it now. I hate waking up and feeling awful and having to have a drink to take the pain away ... I hate making my life around drinking i.e. can I go do the shopping today, or have I already had a drink ... I have to stop, but it is sooo difficult.
                              C
                              ++

Comment

Working...
                              X