Insight and Rebirth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insight and Rebirth

We sometimes forget that God knows exactly what we need to turn our lives around. I've known this and have spoken this to God so many times as I prayed for my two sons. God's timing is always PERFECT! When we reach that place where we must reach out or go under the bottom of the barrel, that is when His timing becomes perfect reality. This happened in the case of my youngest son, Chuck.
    As I have written before, I have two sons who are alcoholics. The younger son, Chuck, had weeks, months of sobriety, then would binge. The older son, Joe, doesn't even get sober, yet he still has his job, with only one-half a point between him and being jobless. Chuck WANTED to quit, Joe has no desire at this point. He was at death's door, just last year because of his alcoholism. He went through pure hell in a hospital, detoxing, DT's and only he and God knows what else. He did stay sober about a month, then started sneaking around drinking. Now, he's back in as bad or worse condition. He says he will always drink and doesn't want to quit. It's hard, but I realize at this point, he has to want to quit and make an effort. He is not the Joe we know. ONLY God can intervene for Joe. It's a sad thing to see your child in such a horrible place in his/her life.
    Chuck's alcoholism has been an ongoing thing, for probably 20 years; he will be 40 in May. Back at Christmas time, he had been sober for several months. It being Christmas, he and his pregnant girlfriend and her 3 year old went to visit Joe and his wife. On his way out the door to go have dinner at his sister's, Joe called Chuck back in and offered him a drink to celebrate Jesus' birthday. (I forgot to mention that Chuck had some tooth extractions and was on medication for pain). That's all it took. He fell off the wagon on his head and that started his binge. The baby was born on Jan. 12 and he showed back up at the hospital later that evening, drinking and she kicked him out and even told security not to let him in. He proceeded to sleep in the car until 6 a.m. and went inside to call his siter to give him a ride as his girlfriend had all the keys. He got arrested and went to jail for a few hours. Of course, the girlfriend ended up a few days later leaving him and went to her mother's. Chuck got on the worst drunk ever! He missed work, was alternating vodka and beer, boo-hooing and going on. It was a mess. HE was a mess. All this time, he's calling me time and again, especially at night ....you know the drill. All I could do was encourage him to get it together or lose his family and I PRAYED even harder! Finally, I just asked God to give him INSIGHT to what his life is and what it was doing to him and everyone who loves him. On Friday, February 20th, his girlfriend came by with the baby. The baby had been in hospital overnight with bronchitis and wasn't feeling good as yet. Somehow, someway, in that instant, when he saw his sick child, it was like he actually SAW EVERYTHING that his alcoholism was and has been doing to his family and himself. Later, that night, I called to see how he was doing and he relayed to me his experience that day, crying and going on. We ended the conversation and I got another call from him about 10:30 or 11. He said, "Mom, listen close to this." I heard the booze being poured out into the sink. He said, "It's done. I'm done. No more." Well, that scared me, but he said, "No, Mom. You don't understand. I QUIT. I am not going to ruin my life any more than I have over alcohol. You'll see." We talked a bit longer and called it a night.
    I was moving the next day and had to take some things of his to storage, since he was being evicted. Let me tell you; he was in one bad state. He was shaking from head to foot, wrapped in a blanket, and told us later that he thought he was going to die. He had a horrible day for the most part. Joe even tried to give him alcohol to help him get through it. He declined.
    Chuck has been sober since that day to this. And will tell anyone that he doesn't EVER want to go through that again. He says he knows it would be even worse if there was a next time and isn't going to go through it. Now, he can't understand how, when his brother Joe went through it (detoxing, DT's) a LOT worse than he did, how he can just keep on and on. It's like he has a death-wish or wants to self-destruct. Very sad, indeed.
    I thank God everday for intervening once again in Chuck's life and for answering a mama's prayers. I look at my new, sober son and he makes me so proud. God is an AWESOME God, and He never leaves us. We leave Him out of our lives, but He's always there for us. Looking at Chuck, the word, 'Rebirth' comes to my mind, therefore my title here. He is so brand new and healthier. He still has a way to go to regain his brain cells and be up-to-snuff, but he's happy, has his family back, has his job, (still has 9 points left) and he knows he has been given another chance in life. No, he didn't go 'cold turkey', as God walked every step of the way with him. Just as He will any of you who call upon His Name!
    I just wanted to share this with all of you who are burdened with this terrible weight in your lives. Let go and let God. And, He expects you to walk WITH Him, as you must learn to help yourself, as God gives you that POWER to do so.
    May God's Grace and richest blessings rein upon you in your life and your quest to becoming and staying sober for your remaining lifetime.

Love and Prayers,
    Chuck's Mama aka Worried Mama

Insight and Rebirth

Dear Worried Mama

Finally a mother with enough grace to speak out loud and clear about our real, living God! I read through your story, being a mom myself, with little children I suddenly felt sad. You know what? We put hours and hours of our time into those little ones, we love them, care for them and most of all spoil them. Then they start drinking, doing drugs and all kinds of other stuff as experiments and finally get hooked. I dont want to emagine how you're heart is feeling. All I know is, that if I did not quit drinking (never done drugs or smoking) my kids would probably end up like me! I would never be able to look Jesus in the eyes and even try to explain myself, never! The other thing is, while you drink, you actually dont know what you are doing to your parents, and you have not the faintest idea what you are doing to yourself.

But I'm out, I'm sober, and never going back. My big safe, shelter and hope is invested in God our Father! I will pray for you and both your sons, for blessings, in the millions, and for recovery for the other son. Keep on praying, believe your prayers will be answered, as God already answered you before!

Take care, and thanks for your story, hope you will read this, saw you already wrote in Jan 2009!

Green bean (smiling again!!!)

Comment

Insight and Rebirth

Worried Mama, thanks for a powerful post and bringing God to the forefront. He does do amazing things and gave Chuck the jolt he needed change his behavior.
      I hope God will help Joe with his own revelation.
      I know He is helping me as I strive to change my behavior, since I am now on Day 7, which is a miracle. He motivated me be having my husband walk out. I only hope that I can change for the better and God will guide my husband back to a healthier and AF me.

God Bless.

Comment

Insight and Rebirth

thank you for sharing .. god is a very amazing being
        :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
        best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Insight and Rebirth

Also a big hug to you WorriedMama for witnessing to God's power to intervene. My brother drank heavily for 40 years, up till the point of trembling badly every morning. Then one day he simply stopped cold turkey - and he testifies that he didn't do it, God did it.
          Thank you.
          make the least of the worst, and the most of the best - everyday.

Comment

Working...
          X