Through a Glass Darkly - My Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It?s a beautiful warm day here in the tri-state area. I?ve opened and closed my mind to the idea of telling my story. I need to do that now or I may never. I struggle as I try to form the myriad of thoughts surrounding my departure from sanity. The idea that I had become an alcoholic is still an open wound. I can only hope that it will heal with time.

I grew up in an upper middle class family in Greenwich, CT. I had a fairly normal childhood. Dad was liquor importer and traveled the world. He drank but rarely to excess. Mom was a homemaker who didn?t touch a drop. Beside me, I have an older brother and younger sister. To the best of my knowledge there are no underlying alcohol issues there. I did drink throughout college, but it didn?t seem to cause me any problems.

Fast forward ten years. I?m married to wonderful woman. We just relocated to Scottsdale, AZ where I was working as a software developer. She was a financial advisor. We drank socially. Our beautiful daughter was born. Life was good. Then I moved to NY to my present company.

On the morning of September 11, 2001 I was in my office at 7:30AM. I was only a few blocks away from the towers. My dear friend worked for Cantor Fitzgerald and he was located on the 105th floor of the north tower. He called me at 8:15 to meet for coffee. I said I be there around 8:30 but got a bit held up by a call. I was half a block away when the plane hit. I was paralyzed by what was happening. My life spiraled out of control at this lose. Those event, those images are forever burnt into my memory.

Alcohol seemed to help initially but the anger inside me kept building. So did my drinking. Aside from my dear friend, I lost a neighbor on 9/11, we were not close, but it presented yet another void and had shaken my community deeply. I began drinking more and more. It seemed everyone was so consumed with 9/11 stories of their own that I began to internalize, not sharing my feelings, even with my wife and family.

I began drinking at lunch and for hours after work often missing my train home. After racking up thousands of dollars in hotel and bar bills in which very little could be expensed, my wife called me out. I denied everything saying I was working special projects and having dinner with clients. My marriage was unraveling and I didn?t have a clue. My 14 year old daughter began ignoring me. I had sunk so far, so fast. One night I met a woman who owns a business in the financial district. She had some friends with her, so the party was on. We were at a bar in SOHO. Somehow my AMEX card got away from me. Miss X charged 30K in clothing and jewelry before I was able to put a stop on the card. INSANITY!

I knew I was in deep trouble. My wife wanted me out of the house. I still am. Not sure where our relationship will go. I desperately want to rebuild my relationship with my daughter. We are taking steps, baby steps, to make that happen.

I still suffer the horror of that day. I smell that smell and panic. You NEVER forget the smell and sounds of that day. I see those images and cry. I have been to therapists who say I have PTSD. I continue treatment. It may be Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, but for me it means I have a long way to go. I will see clearly again. Thanks! John
    “Outside of a dog a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read”

That was very brave of you to share Techie. Thank you.
    I am very sorry for the loss of your friend, neighbour, and for that whole tragic event.
    It's important you are here, as at the very least, it is a statement that you want to get your life back, and get your family back. You are making an effort, and taking step's to heal yourself. It's a long path, and we must do this for ourselves firstly, then everything else will follow as it will. It can be done, and it is being done. You are definately not alone in this battle, friend. Is your wife and daughter aware of the lengths you are going to to change and get yourself back? Could they be involved to a degree on your journey as support? Just a thought.
    Hang in there. Some book's/movies about folk's who have beaten addiction, and are now kicking goal's might help to shift, or strengthen your thinking?

Best wishes, Greg.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Thank you for sharing that, John. That had to be difficult to write. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend, your neighbor and the effect this had on you. September 12, 2001 was my relapse date after 10 months AF, and I was no where near that part of the country or knew anyone in this tragedy. I cannot imagine what you felt. Sadly I can understand why your drinking began spiraling out of control.

I am glad you are continuing therapy for your PTSD. Keep working those baby steps in your therapy, your relationship with your family and in your continuing sobriety. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, and we get there by doing this. Many small steps add up to progress. Never forget that, and keep on keeping on. Take care and much love. :h
      ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

John,

First, John, I have to say, I am so incredibly sad at the loss you suffered by losing your friend to that horrible attack. I know that feeling of one day someone was there and the next they were gone. 9/11 was a heinous act of hatred.

However, I think there are events that can accelerate our alcoholism, in my case gastric bypass, but are not the underlying cause of our alcoholism, these things just made it worse faster.

I see people log in here every day, whose drinking is at a point I was a few years ago and thought nothing of my drinking. It was just a part of my life.

Today, I am so much worse and I realize that some of us are alcoholics. I won't dare say what percent, who can mod, who will beat it, who won't.

All I know is that drinking now, is taking me down. It is ruining my marriage, my career and my spirit. It seems to easy to just say, "well then quit, stupid," but it is very difficult.

I am hoping you can find your way out, either here, with counseling, with AA, with walking on your hands naked across a crowded ballroom. Whatever works for you.

First and foremost, you must take care of you and put your sobriety first. You have no chance with your daughter and your wife if you don't. They won't have a chance to be with you if you don't.

Alcholism is a selfish disease but the cure is also selfish. Go for the cure.

I am glad you are here, I am glad you found us, and I hope we get to know you even better.

Thank you for sharing your story.

btw, I am a bit of a techie, too.

Cindi
        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Here's a heartwarming story. My friend wanted to do something in the wake of the tragedy. No discounting that or your experience techie. That kind of personal loss is devastating. This gal has a company that makes doggie boots. She sent (I can't remember the quantity) doggie boots for the rescue dogs to wear in their search and rescue mission. They were (apparently) the only thing to cross the boarder from Canada to the US in the first days. The NYFD were telling people not to send anything else but Mukluck booties as they were able to withstand the intense conditions better than anything else. I wish I could offer you more encouragement. Time does heal right??

Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

Hi John

Thanks for sharing your amazing story. I can only imagine how hard going through that tragedy was for you. Who can blame you for wanting some relief - not me.

But now its time to let go of the crippling memories in your past before they destroys you. I like Cinders advice to you, and I can only encourage you to begin your journey to a better life, one minute at a time and one day at a time. It can be done without using AL. Al will only keep you suspended in the same old stuff...you need to start a fresh and create a new and better life for yourself.

Be strong and never give up.
            Hazeleyes
            Allen Carr’s book changed everything for me. The easyway to control alcohol. Highly recommended

Comment

Hey Techie, I see our stories are similar but I suspected that from the start, well bloody done for writing it, I know it's hard but it does get a lot off the chest and put's things into prospective.
              I am very sorry for your loss from 9/11, we all lost something that day.
              Keep the chin up, do what's necessary (give up AL) and the rest will fall into place with time.
              Forgiving yourself is a major factor but that is the same as AL, one day at a time.
              Stay strong, chin up - we will get through this!

Comment

Techie, Thank you for posting, you are very brave and I am glad you are here.

:l:l:l:l:l
                "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
                NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Techie, I cant imagine the horror of being there that day and losing a friend and a neighbour. I along with most people in Ireland watched it unfold live on our TV screens with abject terror and shock at what was unfolding. That one group of humans could perpetrate such evil on innocent people going about their daily lives, mothers, fathers, sons and daughters, friends and neighbours who said good bye to their loved ones and walked out of their doors that morning, many for the last time is incomprehensible. I remember that day vividly and again I cant imagine your memories of it or the sense of anger and loss. I do hope that with time some of them fade and you find inner peace.
                  So where you find yourself today is trying to cope with the aftermath of this and the self medication which ensued. I do understand how and why we do that but some day we have to face up to the fact that it only makes things worse. I am sure you too have come to that same conclusion, evidently by your being here.
                  It helps to write our feelings down and face our demons and in getting sober they are still there, make no mistake but we are at least able to face them head on and not through a drunken fog. I hope you continue with the counselling because it does help many people.
                  I also hope you can get your life back and by that I mean your family. You made a mistake with the credit card incident but as you say steps are being made to repair the damage. Baby steps are always good and I am sure your wife and daughter will see a big change in you in time. Stick with it, it is so worth it.
                  Keep safe
                  KTAB
                  Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

john.

thanks for posting. it helps a little, venting, doesn't it?
                    the shock of 9/11 rocked the world with grief, i cannot image what you, and the thousands of others who lost loved ones feel. or the huge shock of the actual event. you guys must have felt like you were walking on eggshells for years.

you are doing great things here techie, working hard to change things, getting therapy. you are one of the people who has had a massive impact on me here at mwo, you've picked me up when down or drunk and inspired me with your wisdom and kindness. i truly mean that. you deserve good things.

you're a good man john, i think you will win this battle. you cant change what happened on 9/11, you can't change the financial shit of the past. BUT you CAN get sober. and then , just maybe you can win back your girls. come on. i believe in you xx

:l

gw xx
                    The mind will intellectualize it, the heart will emotionalize it, yet the gut never lies.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9/girly-wirly-s-toolbox-2-45452.html

Comment

I love your honesty John. I'm quite moved by it. I really hope you can find a way to resolve your issues and start building those bridges with your past.

Many Blessings
                      Phil
                      "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
                      Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

John,

Thank you for having the courage to post your story. It's tragic and compelling and has probably helped more people than you know. Perhaps with the PTSD you can get on some good meds and get some therapy, too? I can't imagine your grief about your friend and the fact that you could have been in the Twin Towers when it happened. Find a good therapist and try to put your life back together....as you said, baby steps! Just acknowledging you have an issue with AL is a huge step.

Have you ever read the book "The High Functioning Alcoholic?" It's very helpful....I've read it cover to cover.

Wishing you strength on your journey,

Rusty

Comment

Hi John. What a horrible day that was in our history. Reading your story brought me back to that day and it's unbelievable to recall that day unfolding in slow motion. I'm so sorry that you were so close to the tragedy and lost people you knew.

I understand how serious life events can trigger or help us justify excessive drinking. Been there, done that. No matter what is negative in life today, I know that drinking will only make things worse - not better.

I hope you find sobriety and healing in your journey.

DG
                          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                          Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Oh Dear Techie,

I am so sorry for the loss of your best friend and neighbor from the horrible attack of terrorism on 9/11. One of my colleagues was on the United Flight airline that crashed into Pennsylvania. He and his girlfriend were just going on vacation.

But for you, YOU WERE THERE. OMG to be there and see the tragedy before your very eyes is something we could never comprehend. You must also be thinking that you could have been in that building at the time of the attack. I'm sure through the years you are still wondering why you were held up, and not in the building at the time the first plane hit. There must be a very good reason. You deserve to have better days coming to you.

My heart goes out to you for the trauma you have been through, and I wish the best for you in fighting this demon :l
                            Miss October :blinkylove:

Comment

Dear John,

Thank you so much for posting your story. Wow, what you have been through. I remember watching the events of that day fold out before me like so many others, but the thought of actually being there, and losing somebody, is so hard for me to comprehand. I pray your treatments will be successful for the PTSD. I pray everything gets better for you, and Im so glad you are here and have us to share your life with.

God, I pray I am not stepping over any boundaries here, but I bet more than anything your friend who lost his life would want more than anything than to see you happy again. I truly believe in life after death. If the situation were reversed would you not want your friend to go on as well? Please forgive me if I stepped over any boundaries friend. Just hoping to see you happy again as well.

:l Overit
                              I LOVE MY SEROTONIN AND BOOZE SCREWS IT UP!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X