My stupid drinking life!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My stupid drinking life!

bugz;894560 wrote: I have a lot to learn still I guess.... what I don't get about the old farts is... if they've
    been sober for years aren't they ok by then... I mean if you gave it up for say
    10 years or even 5 do you still need AA.... I guess I'll find out for myself.
    Bugz, I had to smile when I read that. For the longest time, (without ever having gone to a single meeting or talking to anyone to get any facts) I thought AA must not really work if people still go after all that time. I neglected to "get"d the part that people going all that time are SOBER for a long time. After all, that is the goal, right?

Carrying the message to others is such a central focus of AA. I think that's what those old farts are doing. That, and taking their sobriety one day at a time along with a lot of their friends. I never thought I would say this, but I can see myself continuing to go regularly to AA for a long long time. It's not only helped me get closer to "contented" sobriety but I am developing a lot of friendships there too. I actually LIKE going to meetings. Dont' know if your experience will be the same, but I can sure relate to your thoughts where you are now as I had them too!

Thanks for sharing your story. Good for you tackling this problem now rather than carrying on for more years.

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

My stupid drinking life!

Doggygirl;895960 wrote: Bugz, I had to smile when I read that. For the longest time, (without ever having gone to a single meeting or talking to anyone to get any facts) I thought AA must not really work if people still go after all that time. I neglected to "get"d the part that people going all that time are SOBER for a long time. After all, that is the goal, right?

Carrying the message to others is such a central focus of AA. I think that's what those old farts are doing. That, and taking their sobriety one day at a time along with a lot of their friends. I never thought I would say this, but I can see myself continuing to go regularly to AA for a long long time. It's not only helped me get closer to "contented" sobriety but I am developing a lot of friendships there too. I actually LIKE going to meetings. Dont' know if your experience will be the same, but I can sure relate to your thoughts where you are now as I had them too!

Thanks for sharing your story. Good for you tackling this problem now rather than carrying on for more years.

DG
      I think AA is great for people I just don't agree with all their stuff... like the 12 steps
      the higher power nonsense ( to me it's nonsense I'm an atheist) and mostly I got
      sick of the sob stories from all those people.... I always thought to myself why
      do I have to be reminded of bad things from the past either mine or someone
      else's... ain't it better to focus on the future at hand?

I always believed that if you break a bad habit you gotta replace it with something
      else so I joined a gym lol...

oh and also I had one godawful experience at AA once (back in 2008) when I said I was AF for 17 days this old guy laughed as if saying 'oh 17 days that's nothing' instead
      of being encouraging the bastard pissed me off....

So i like this forum better then AA... :thanks:

Comment

Working...
      X