I'm always tryin'
    It's good to talk.

Comment

Weekends

And it's good to listen. thanks

Comment

Weekends

Hi Paul,

You didn't crack, you moderated................. you ARE in more control now than ever before, at least now you know that you CAN go AF which is better than most of us. I'm sorry that I didn't notice your original post asking for help or I would have been there. You can always PM me if you need extra help, as we're in the same time zone your i'm probably about.

PLease take care mate & keep your chin up.

Paula :l
        sigpicXXX

Comment

Weekends

By the way, when you said you 'cracked' was it as much as before or was it just a few???
          sigpicXXX

Comment

Weekends

ello paulaW
            You are right . I moderated. I remember going to bed, which makes a change.
            I am going to have a quiet week this week.
            I shall take my wife out for a meal on friday night. Something to look forward to.
            I hpoe everyone else has a nice time this week.

Comment

Weekends

Thanks PaulaW
              You are right, I moderated.
              I remember going to bed last night.
              I'm going to have a quiet week this week.
              I shall go for a meal with my wife on Friday. That is something to look forward to.
              I hope eveyone else has a good week I am taking care and keeping my chin up.
              Love Paul

Comment

Weekends

Hey Paul, just been catching up with how your'e doing. I have been working some big bad hours lately so haven't had as much time to sit down and 'stroke the keys' as I would have liked. You sound like you're doing ok though. So you had a tiny hiccup? I reckon we have all had our fair share of those annoying buggers. Moderation is a good thing though, so while you're figuring out where you want to be with it - abs or mods or somewhere else, moderation is FAR better than bottles of Vodders!
                I was a wine girl and lots of it. It was at my worst that I turned to the Vodka and I KNEW I was bashing myself with it (I was having it as well as the wine:egad and it was about that time that I really started to understand that I was getting in trouble.

So Paul, from what you have posted - its all good. Giving up smoking TOO at the same time, my god, you are a keen bean. Well done.
                Keep us posted.
                Amelia
                Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Weekends

Hi Amelia,
                  I was feeling a bit sorry for myself, you know how it is...I let everybody down etc., But you are right, I have been doing well since coming here. It's still early days but I can honestly say that I'm not doing too badly, also that I could do better. Thanks for caring.
                  By the way, I stopped smoking two years ago. What kind of masochist do you take me for. I can only stay on one wagon at a time. I can't even stay on this one. I am a keen bean though.
                  Hope to hear from you soon.

Comment

Weekends

Hello all,
                    I was thinking......
                    I have been keeping tabs on my drinking with a diary. I started on October 22nd, About 2 weeks before finding this site, and it makes good reading.
                    The first week I drank 6 bottles of vodka, the second week 5 bottles. Since coming here I have drank 1 bottle in three weeks.
                    I feel better now.

Comment

Weekends

Crikey, you were keeping Smirnoff in business!!!:wow: ....... Sales are now slacking though - it's good to see Paul!

Seriously though, it sounds like you are doing really well. If that was my drinks diary, I would be proud!

Keep up the good work and take care

Amelia
                      Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Weekends

Thanks again for the words Amelia.
                        A thought just crossed my mind. I was going to say that I do feel better every day that I'm AF, But I think that I'm happier for my wife than for myself. I really hate letting her down, which is not a bad thing.
                        Any happiness that I feel for myself seems a long way secondary. Do you think that's OK?
                        If I had a more up-beat attitude to myself then perhaps I would feel proud.
                        I'm sorry to sound depressing - I don't feel at all depressed.
                        Thanks again, You're good people.

Comment

Weekends

Let's put it this way Paul,..it's early days. Very early days. Perhaps you are not overwhelmed with happiness because your body (body chemistry) is going through big changes and that can sometimes be uncomfortable and make us feel a range of things -pissed off, edgy, moody, depressed, down, indifferent etc. Perhaps your wifes happy reaction is just more noticable to you than the more 'subtle' positive changes that you have been experiencing.

Ok so Im guessing you don't have severe hangovers any more, your memory loss is not so bad, no blackouts, saving money on booze, keeping more promises etc etc. Now these things in themselves are not going to make us swing from the rafters and sing Hallelullah! are they?
                          I really do believe it takes time to A. Mend whatever it is we have done to our brains and bodies over the years, and B. Begin to place different, more rewarding activities into what was our 'lost' drinking time.

There is initial euphoria, I have felt it in the first few day when I have managed to stopped drinking and begun my AF times, but long term general happiness takes time to build, especially when we are starting from where most of us are.
                          What do you reckon?

Amelia
                          Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Weekends

Hi Paul

I've been away for a few days and am now just catching up; I'm sorry to hear a little late about your weekend. I also did not follow my plan this weekend, but I'm learning to look at the positives. I'm still doing much better than before (I liked vodka too, along with everything else!). I agree with Amelia that your body is going through physical changes and that may be affecting your mood about yourself - maybe that will change soon (standard disclaimer that I am not a doctor, so please consider seeing one if your mood worsens).

My worst time is Friday nights. My husband and I have started going to the local Home Depot (home improvement center) on Fridays because we're working on home projects and are always in need of something. For some reason I find walking around there with coffee in hand comforting -- maybe it's seeing other sober people with real projects on their minds (and dedication to be there on a Friday night). Or maybe it's just the bright lights during this dark part of the year. I know, it's weird, but I've started looking forward to it. Maybe you could also find some place or activity (though likely less weird) that could become a new habit during the tougher hours (could you visit your granddaughter?)

Hope all is well

pixie
                            AF since 6JUN2012

Comment

Weekends

Hello Again,

I have been thinking about what you said Amelia, and of course you're right...it's very early days. I have made a reasonable start, which is good, and I shall improve upon it. I haven't had a severe hangover for what seems like ages, and I don't want one either. Of course it will take time to adjust mentally and physically to what's happening to my body and my brain. I don't know what I expected to happen, but I'm learning.
                              and Pixie, usually I have some plan for dealing with Friday nights, though the closer a Friday gets the less likely my plan would be to happen. I'm hoping to go for a nice meal this Friday, then come home and start decorating the spare room, ready for my granddaughter is old enough to come and stay, so I 'll probably be in a home improvement store on Friday too.......not weird at all..the most natural thing in the world. I'll think of you while I'm there, checking out the wallpaper and paint.
                              At the moment, it is all about feelings and emotions. I haven't quite got the hang of the methodology. I have never been ambitious, but I want to succeed in this. I've said it before, and I'll say it again....this is a great place.

Thank you for talking and listening.

Comment

Weekends

New Beginning

This is my first time on this site and I think I have found my saviour...
                                I drink to the excess about 5 out of 7 nights a week. I recently got married and realised that I don;t want to live like this any longer, my mother is alcoholc and has been nost of my life, Too scared to go to AA as too shy

k

Comment

Working...
                                X