Comment

Yukky weekend...

Your posts are

Comment

Yukky weekend...

Making me more dizzy

Comment

Yukky weekend...

Baclofen is an anti spasticity medication. I have read a load of stuff though on the internet, namely one very interesting study by a french (I think) surgeon who was a chronic alcoholic, who used baclofen to stop drinking completely...it is also mentioned on this site, or links or something. It's definately helping, but you increase the dose very gradually over a number of days...I'm hoping that when I'm on top whack, it will make things more manageable. Definitely doing something though.....

Comment

Yukky weekend...

Don't know about the hallucination thing...all I know is, my partner looks at me very strangely when I'm batting away at nothing......I will moniter them though...if they get very much worse, or at least don't seem to be subsiding, I'll go to someone...HATE going to someone though...really don't like describing what I am to people....I'll put up with the 'lurkers' and the 'flies' for a bit longer...It's early days, and I've been drinking for a LONG time...there's bound to be some sort of werirdness...isn't there.....that's what I want to know...has any one else had this????

Comment

Yukky weekend...

Hi Weemelonhead:

Yep. I've seen all sorts of weird shit at times. The ones I hated the worst were shadows moving around along the walls, like somebody was walking around, casting a shadow on the wall. Sometimes I thought my dogs had gotten into the house, and were running around super fast, and hiding from me. I would have to check the backyard to see if they were still out there where they belong. Very scary.

I have a theory about this, and I can tell what helped me. Those type of hallucinations I believe are related to serotonin chemistry in the brain being disrupted. The booze messes up so many chemicals in our brains, and when we stop drinking, the brain goes sort of berserk.

I take a supplement called 5-HTP. It has done wonders for my sleep, and depression, and overall outlook. It is converted to serotonin in your brain, and may help with hallucinations and sleeping problems. I still take it, because it lets me sleep so deeply and peacefully even today. It make jar you awake at night if you take too much, because the dreams will be in dolby surround technicolor.

Of course, if it gets really bad, please see a doctor. I just offer this as something that worked for me.

Neil

Comment

Yukky weekend...

What Neil describes is what some new antidepressants do. Just go talk to some doctor that does't have any personal take to you. You can always tell if you like a doctor or not. If you don't like him/her go talk to someone else. My take on a doctor is one that doesn't judge me. They are like, oh yeah, I have other patients that take this med ( a sign other drinkers STILL see this doctor) and have seen results. Believe me, I am the queen of ditching a doc if I don't like them. I can tell in the first meeting.
                  dove

Comment

Yukky weekend...

sorry about making you dizzy. I was just bored.

Comment

Yukky weekend...

Hi Melon
                      I am so sorry that you are having a rough time but that's the nature of the beast that we are dealing with.
                      Don't ever feel bad about posting. That is what this place is for, venting your feelings and getting stuff off your chest. Humour is a great way of dealing with a problem, but nobody can feel like that all the time. Just as you won't feel as bad as you do now all the time. You are doing great.
                      :h

Comment

Yukky weekend...

Neil....thank you Mr Birthday! ... (your achievement gave me a much needed lift on Saturday) Yes...I do the 5htp too...started taking it about 5 years ago when the anti's were clearly not working, and I read about it on the internet...would much rather take naturals than meds anyway, but even this is not having the desired effect. Wary of taking a higher dose though as I have read that long term use is not good for the liver, and after all that my poor old little lump has been through, I am scared to test it any further. Thanks for sharing your shadow men...this is what mine are like, only they don't really move a lot, I just 'see' people out of the corner of my eyes, for some reason, usually behind corners, first one I saw was when I took my hell hound for a walk about 8 days ago...I take him through a very dark area of bush (kiwi nature reserve type place) at 5:00am before work and thought someone was following me, when I looked, he slid behind a tree...I stopped going there, but then realised my 'stalker' was everywhere, and was in some way connected to the AF....can you remember roughly how long it took before this went away...it's very un-nerving?
                        Dove...I was teasing, (I will use humour, I will use humour......said through very unhumerous gritted teeth) thank you for the posts!!!
                        Pauly boy (have you washed those underpants yet?) thanks...you are right, it is the nature, but as Blondie so rightly said, I am not used to dealing with a prob without the booze....John Lennon once said that he cursed Sir walter Raleigh, he was such a bloody git (in ref to tobacco I think) Well I send the same sentiment to whoever first thought it would be a good idea to make a distillary!!! (although the phrase bad workmen etc does spring to mind....I definitely blame my tool)
                        Thank you guys....I did lock myself in the bedromm for a few hours, but have now felt it safe to come out, your posts were good to come back to.....day 10 AF and counting xxx Weenotsoincontrolbutstickingwithitanywaymelonhead. (Definitely noticing the melonhead shrinking though...)

Comment

Yukky weekend...

Hey dove...how do you keep going to see a new doctor...don't you have to enrol and stuff...and pass over med records...perhaps this is easier in other countries than in NZ...are there any Kiwis out there who have experience in this...or can recommend someone understanding that I could try?????

Comment

Yukky weekend...

I've moved around so much I just don't bother transfering any type of medical records. I usally do homeopathic stuff if I am not feeling well so only am at a doctor when something is REALLY wrong. I would just tell them you have no records and start from new if you are worried about the family doc knowing. Just be sure to be fully honest about your health history and current state cause that decides what meds - or lack of meds - can be helpful. If you know what type of doctor you prefer call around and ask some questions too. You know, male/female (I don't do well baring everything to a man), young/old, likes to talk about stuff or not. You could also ask over the phone, as to be anonymous, if he/she has or is currently treating patients for the same type of stuff and if people keep coming back.
                            Dove

Comment

Yukky weekend...

Probably not the most insightful entry but have you tried having some nice (and filling) things available to eat in the fridge and some 'safe ' drinks. I sometimes find if I have somthing to eat the 'notion ' goes. Cold meets , bread , cheese etc - not much prep and they provide thet full feeling quick. I appreciate some extra cals but the alternative.....
                              mac

Comment

Yukky weekend...

Yeah...thanks Mac...I do this, but usually with very spicy or sweet foods...I find it hard to drink more wine after a packet of cookies or an eye watering curry....it was a bad night that night though...you know the sort?? NOTHING seems to fill the urge more than the thought of a drink....it was all consuming, and unfortunately, I am an over emotional old trout at the best of times...
                                Dove, Thanks for the doc tips...I am having a good day now...after a day or two of gardening, and section clearing...I sort of think it's not worth it then, when it's going well, but I know the next time I get these feelings, I will wish I had...I am taking the phone book down to the call box (can't ring from home as MIL is ALWAYS there) and will make enquiries....thank you for your advice....

As I said, I do feel better today, and yeah Blondie soooooo much better than I would have done if I had had a drink that night...13th day of AF, and physically, feeling much better, I am up to 'getting physical' now, have taken two weeks off work, and have a good sized list of really tough jobs in the garden to do...started these on Monday and have made great headway....feel amazing when I look at the results of my efforts in the morning..really spurs me on to do more and more.....It's the first time I have seen the earth of one corner of the garden for 3 years!!!!!! Thanks guys for your input......I'm still with it.....

Much love......mighty(er)melon xxx

Comment

Working...
                                X