Just quit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just quit

I am very new to this, I have decided to do this because every time I drink it can never be one or two I end up drinking and drinking, embarrassing my self and blackout my memory I work for a mining company and the drinking culture is pretty strong so if I'm going to change my routine I'm going to have to admit this to my boss. I am married with two small children I promised my wife I wouldn't get so drunk anymore but I do anyway. I never thought I would need help but I always make promises to myself to not drink so much and never keep them. Some advice for a heavy drinker who has just quit would be appreciated.
    Enough is Enough, only one person can fix this, alcohol has never caused me anything but problems

Just quit

Welcome to you BigCol; most of us come here with a post very similar to yours.....we all needed to stop or cut down on our drinking and couldn't do it alone.
    The best thing you can do is go to the Newbies Nest - most newcomers go there to try and support one another while getting those first 30 days. There is a lot of support there also, from senior members who are AF.
    Read as much as you can here - you will find so many inspirational stories and it will give you hope and show you 'it can be done'.
    All the best - stick around and post often...
    IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
    Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Just quit

G'day Col, and a huge welcome to you.

You've landed in a great place with plenty of info and inspiration.

Here's the 'Newbies nest' that Daisy recommended above.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...est-30074.html

and have a look at our https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html

Lots to read here mate. Jump in.

Best wishes on your journey.

G-bloke.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Just quit

Hi, BigCol. I found that it helped me a whole lot to get on the MWO program that includes working with a doctor (mine would not Rx Topamax, but gave me Naltrexone instead) and the vitamins and supplements that help with the cravings. I purchased the MWO 6 week extreme starter kit (available through the store on this website) and got started the day after it arrived. I also find the hypnotherapy to help as well, but will save you a few $$ by letting you know the CD with the hypnotherapy that comes with the extreme starter package is plenty. I bought additional ones and feel like they were overpriced and not much additional material than what's on the CD in the extreme kit.

Today is day 26 AF for me. I started with a goal of going 30 days, then trying moderation. I'm probably going to go a whole lot longer than 30 days, but have surprised myself at how well I've done. It's probalby been since I was a teenager that I've gone this long alcohol free, and I'm now 50!

Good luck!
        Well the 1st are the hardest days don't you worry anymore.
        When life looks like easy street there is danger at your door.

Comment

Just quit

If you look at it as quitting something you still want to do, and if you aren't doing it for yourself it's going to be a long hard road. I have been there for many years. If you are going to make excuses like it's the culture that you work around it will be even harder. Telling your boss "you have to quit drinking" is going to be perceived very negatively.

How about we look at it from a different angle.

You are going to become and stay sober because you love life and want to live a long time and enjoy your wife and kids. You want to set a healthy example for your children and you want to strengthen your relationship with your wife. You now know that alcohol is poison, and not only does it harm your health, it doesn't allow you to be the father and husband you want to be.

It is the most positive change you can make in your life and you are giving a gift back to your family by being responsible and taking care of yourself.

It was the best decision I ever made in my life after being in your shoes for 20+ years, and I won't lie and say it's easy, but it can be as positive or negative as you want to make it. Either embrace sobriety and the gifts it will bring you and struggle a little, or focus on having to quit and being deprived and struggle alot.

You get what you focus on. You can do it!

Comment

Just quit

It truly is a battle in your mind. I try to tell myself that I can have anything that I can possibly want...Pretzel M&M's, Magnum Ice Cream bars....I can treat myself in any way...the only thing I will not consume is AL. So far that change of thinking has served me well...I don't feel like I'm missing out. It is a small price to pay for the regaining of my self respect and the respect of my colleagues and family.
            DfromCt, you are kicking it! 26 days is awesome! Very proud of you. B
            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Just quit

Byrdlady said it best. 'It really is a battle of the mind"
              I cannot say this with any more sincerity, but go read Jason Vales "Kick the drink, easily"
              It, along with Alan Carrs book, is saving my life when it comes to drink.
              They both will teach you that your believing that there is some kind of benefit to this stuff, is what keeps dragging you back, even though its taking everything important away from you.
              Its a con game.
              Break free once and for all.

Best to you, Bsurfer

Comment

Just quit

BigCol;1358763 wrote: I am very new to this, I have decided to do this because every time I drink it can never be one or two I end up drinking and drinking, embarrassing my self and blackout my memory I work for a mining company and the drinking culture is pretty strong so if I'm going to change my routine I'm going to have to admit this to my boss. I am married with two small children I promised my wife I wouldn't get so drunk anymore but I do anyway. I never thought I would need help but I always make promises to myself to not drink so much and never keep them. Some advice for a heavy drinker who has just quit would be appreciated.
                Im not in the mining business but your story echos mine almot to the "T"

You have made a great choice to stop drinking if you have problems, and if you have had to promise your wife you would cut back, then you have a problem.

That is nothing to be embarrassed about at ALL. The way I see it, some of us are just hard wired in the brain different than others. Most everyone on here is in the group that cant just stop at one.

But, with help, either meds, prayer, meditation, reading, willpower, whatever combination it takes "you" to work, is what you need to seek out.

I suggest coming here daily, read, post, ask ANY question you have, with this group, someone will have an answer

Wising you all the strength, knowledge, and support needed to reach your goals
                Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Just quit

I have found kudzu and l-glutamine to help my cravings a lot and even when I drink I drink very little.they are available at vitamins shoppe. Buy kudzu recovery.
                  Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
                  A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

Working...
                  X