No Drink til Download!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Drink til Download!

If you want to know what my life was like before: https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9...nal-74715.html

but this is about now. I have committed to 42 days sober, after that it's down to how I feel - but for now being sober at all is better than what i had before. A quick summary: 20 years old, been drinking seven years, addicted for 5, been going rapidly down hill for a year or 2 now, recently been drinking about 10-13 units a day average, smoking more, eating more, doing less. I've made the decision to start taking my life back, so here I am, Day 1.

A little change on before, is that I have some semblance of a plan. So heres a few details

-Homework: I've set myself a challenge, I will be posting 5 days a week (not around Tuesdays or Saturdays) I will have homework to do. Daily I will post a little research, a quote, a fact about somebody who's addiction story inspires me, whether famous, a friend or whatever. I will also try and post a little something about myself, something I have thought about, considered, and that I feel is important. This will take work - but then doesn't everything worth having?

-Taking care of myself: I have been letting myself use a lack of sleep or lack of alcohol as an excuse to just do nothing. So, new rules, up no later than 8 - even if I don't sleep well, routine is important. Be presentable every day - feeling crappy does not give me an excuse to look crappy. Work out as often as possible, a walk, a run, anything to keep me fit and active. Keep a clean space - no neglecting cleaning/laundry etc just because I don't feel like it.

-Routine: I work well with a routine, a set schedule and no excuses. So I am going to be planning my day, fitting in bed times, bass practices, reading etc. This will keep me busy, minimize stress and hopefully help with the cravings.

-Post often: If I need to, I will post. I will post daily in some form, to let you know how I'm doing and to be accountable.

42 days starts here, hope my old journal friends will be joining me.

-Inchy
    I have faced it, a life wasted, and I am never going back there again

To ya'll my name is inchy. I am an alcoholic - and priority number one is making it to the end of this day AF. No excuses.

No Drink til Download!

We're rooting for you Inchy!!! :h:h
    :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

No Drink til Download!

It's the little things...

going over to the shop in the sunshine, coming back with milk, creme eggs and a cold can of... fanta haha. Loving the new routine.

To ya'll my name is inchy. I am an alcoholic - and priority number one is making it to the end of this day AF. No excuses.

Comment

No Drink til Download!

Hey Inchy

Good job on having a plan and making a start :goodjob:

Just wanna send ya my best wishes for 'YOUR' journey

Comment

No Drink til Download!

Day 1

Will start with 'homework' then onto me, skip the first paragraph if its not itneresting to you.

So my choice of homework subject was kind of easy today, flipping channels can came across an old video of Green Day playing live, before their frontman went into rehab and my god? I saw them play Wembley before things got bad and to see the change, I actually couldn?t even watch the whole set, he looked so different. I read up a little on him post rehab, I remembered finding out and how long he was away, wondering why etc and of course alcohol was involved as well as drugs. Certain things I could relate to greatly, asking his wife the day after the melt down ?how bad was it? ? done it. Not wanting any help? Yep. Making excuses, rationalising? Haha. But the greatest comfort for me came in knowing that he still thinks about drinking, that it is still hard, Because I always blame myself for struggling.

And now onto the me part, day 1. Cravings are of course brutal as ever, every single thought is about excuses to drink, I?m ill, 42 days is a silly number, 40 would be just as good and blah blah blah. Had a horrendous nightmare last night about the idea of rehab/treatment, was very real, very raw. Woke up feeling so strange, all these feelings I had towards myself and my family had come out in the night, whilst I was unconscious. The weirdest part was the fear I felt, firstly that in the dream others knew, but secondly that in reality it hadn?t happened: there was no help. Been re-reading the post I made about my drinking life a few days ago, I wrote it on a spur of a moment and never looked back over it ? it shocked me seeing my own pain, when I can?t acknowledge it at the moment.
          So day one is nearly over, less painful than before, a bit twitchy, on edge, craving like mad but hanging in there as best I can.
          -Inchy

Comment

No Drink til Download!

It's good to hear you sounding so positive Inchy.
            I love the homework idea - I'm sure you'll find lots of inspiration.

Keep hanging in there. :l
            There's two ways of looking at the holes in your shoes
            You can dig the ventilation... or you can sing the blues

I didn't come this far to only come this far.

Comment

No Drink til Download!

Inchy, I loved reading about your homework and I also loved reading about you. Feeling these feelings is really hard - at least for me it is. But it's also the only path to healing, don't you think?

I was at a seminar a couple weeks about about EMDR. The presenter talked about how the brain is ALWAYS processing - awake, asleep, all the time. So those dreams certainly mean something to you I think!

Hope you had a good day all in all - even though the cravings are rough. It DOES get easier if you stick with it. Promise.

:l

DG
              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
              Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

No Drink til Download!

Day 2 AM

firstly thanks to everybody for their support and for sticking with me, love knowing everybody is around and looking out for me, I deifnitely need it in these early days.

so day one down, 41 to go. May have slightly screwed up on the 8AM wake up part of the plan, but I think having an absolutely rotten cold gives me an excuse to lie in til nearly 11. Feeling a little better. w/d wise still on edge, little twitchy, over emotional and all those fun things that I get in the early days. Apparently my quit/start/quit/start has (shockingly, given that everybody told me this would happen xD) made things a little worse but, I'll work with it.

Got a busy say planned, bass lesson this afternoon (bass, one of the main reasons I am quitting, once upon a time could practice 3 hours a day, al eats time.) Otherwise its paperwork, artwork for my little page and preparing my stuff for work tomorrow, hoping I won't be feeling so damned awful.

Had another long talk with other half about drinking last night, was very honest with him, even sent him my 'day in the life' from last journal. Think it's for the best, he's admitted now he doesn't like seeing me drink and for the first time actually used the a word (not ass xD) to describe my situation so now I have his full support in this, it was a hard talk to have but definitely one that'll help me in the long run I'm sure of it.

Now on with my day, nearly noon here xD Homework was handed to me on a plate last night, little reading before bed and of course it happened to be on my namesake - Alice in Chains. Their guitarist/singer/all round good guy got to talking about what is affectionately referred to as 'the junkie of the year prize' (those of you not familiar with musicares, all will be explained in homework this evening).

see ya'll later

-Inchy

p.s dammit nearly forgot: DG, I am a big analyzer of dreams and I have no doubt in mind that that dream was very significant for me regarding feelings towards myself, rehab, addiction and my family so am trying to be mindful about it now, might post more on it another time.

I'm sure you're right that it'll get easier, I trust you

Comment

No Drink til Download!

You might like this Inchy;

When I was getting sober I had a dream, there were two queues into portacabins. I'd been reading a lot about the holocaust and knew one of the cabins was a gas chamber. I got myself in the queue to live (anyone knows about the hc knows they used to send one to the left, one to the right). I woke up crying. To me that meant I'd chosen life and it brings tear pricks to my eyes even now as I type this.
                  I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

No Drink til Download!

UK, thanks for sharing, thats a really amazing and beautiful dream. I have actually been to Auschwitz, twice as part of history projects, life changing to say the least.

Comment

No Drink til Download!

InChains;1500046 wrote: UK, thanks for sharing, thats a really amazing and beautiful dream. I have actually been to Auschwitz, twice as part of history projects, life changing to say the least.
                      I find the survivor stories amazing, and inspiring. If they could live through that hell, not knowing if they were going to live or die on a daily basis, well I'm not sure I could do that and it kind of puts everything into perspective.

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

No Drink til Download!

Day 2 PM

GrungeReport.net- 90's Alternative Rock News ? Blog Archive ? JERRY CANTRELL DISCUSSES OVERCOMING ADDICTION, SAYS SEAN KINNEY IS HIS BEST FRIEND & HELPED SAVE HIM

The above is a link to what actually ended up being my homework. It is the musicares map fund acceptance speech by Alice in Chains guitarist, singer and all round epic guy Jerry Cantrell. Anyway I would have posted a few quotes but really if you have time watch that, its well worth it. Feeling ready to kick the crap out of the remainder of day 2.

So day 2 has been... an asshole lets be honest. it has been kicking my ass all day. Withdrawal officially blows, firstly. secondly I'm ill. Thirdly, you know when you're not drinking what everything reminds you of? oh yeah, that thing you're trying not to do. Walk down high street 'I bought booze there, I bought booze there, oh this song was good to drink too' URGH. So really fighting this thing through to day 3 and beyond - really just hoping I can make it through.

-Inchy

Comment

No Drink til Download!

Hi Inchy, great to see this new thread and to read of your progress. It will be hard work, but you know that. We all want to see you succeed at this. Warmest, Free
                          Free at Last
                          "What you seek is seeking you." -- Rumi

Highly recommend this video
                          http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

July 19, 2013 -- the beginning of being Free at Last

Comment

No Drink til Download!

a non related note but, R.I.P Jeff Hanneman, guitarist for heavy metal band slayer. Big fan, and a greta loss to the rock community worldwide

Comment

No Drink til Download!

InChains;1500397 wrote: a non related note but, R.I.P Jeff Hanneman, guitarist for heavy metal band slayer. Big fan, and a greta loss to the rock community worldwide
                              Yeah just noticed this on the internet this morning. Don't know much about Slayer, I do enjoy rock, some HM, Goth and alternative stuff(I'm pretty wide ranging in my tastes and styles) so I am fairly interested in what you get up to and your Download festival believe it or not.

Someone once told me about Bon Scott whilst in rehab and he might be someone you might want to look up a few things on, especially because I think he was quite youngish?around your age when he came to his untimely end.

By the way I'm being a bit selfish being on here, I'm needing/wanting some general support with something else I can't post about at the moment so hope you don't mind me hanging around. For some reason I gravitated towards your thread and have been thinking perhaps we can send each other some supportive vibes?I'm not going to take over your thread, just need somewhere to keep me grounded and in touch.

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

Working...
                              X