A few things about Jay as a way to introduce myself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This won't be a lengthy drunkalogue, just a few details, as a way of introducing myself.

Mid thirties, Caucasian male, four years where the problem progressively got worse, it wasn't so much the quantities I was drinking but more so the frequency. At 26, AA for four years abstinent. Off the wagon for the past four years, first year was ok, certainly not up to my old levels. The last three have been more of a bummer with frequent binges, I am currently in a weekly to ten day binge schedule. Cravings are coming and going, bac seems to really help with them most of the time.

Been trying my luck with nal, it's managed to curb around 20-30% of the binges, but I stopped taking it after a couple of months, now I am on and off bac, mostly on, I try to be at least. I find it helps a lot.

I am not ready to go abstinent yet, I don't much enjoy drinking either. Most of my workweek or weekend binges I 'd rather have half a j., but it's not readily available like booze is. I fucking hate booze btw, and get extremely guilt ridden with it, not merely after a binge, but upon picking up the first glass (which on a 70-30% ratio leads to a binge). I don't like the high anymore, I am in the well known category of problem drinkers (right now I hate that other word...) that alcohol doesn't really cut it, it has to be a lot, and even then it's not really there, that old magic (if there was any to begin with...) is simply gone.

Others say, oh, let's have a couple of drinks and enjoy ourselves, or three or four. I don't get that anymore. It's very very occasionally that I might ENJOY it, packaged with guilt of course (not such a counter productive feeling after all)

Anyway, I am looking to get it together, I am also looking of ways to reduce the harm done to my brain (my biggest fear), my stomach, my second biggest, and my liver, my third.

So, that's Jay's drinking problem in a nutshell for you, or Jay's drinking hell as the case might be, because after a binge it's the anxiety crises of the century and my body's wrecked.

All the best guys you got a good community here, glad I can join.

Greetings Jay. If you get this figured out at your age, great! It took me 40 years of drinking to finally have enough. That is not required by the way.
    Glad you found this site.
    Love and Peace,
    Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

Welcome Jay! Sounds like you are not enjoying drinking any more. I reached that point too. The fun was gone. (and I absolutely had a lot of FUN drinking in the early years - that's for sure!!)

I wish you well as you find your way out.

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

:welcome: Jay

Ditto what cpn said about recognising and acting upon this at an early age; I'm another slow learner and it really doesn't get easier or better!

Look forward to seeing you around and reading of your successes. There's plenty of reading and resources on here to get you well on your way!

Comment

Hi Jay, welcome. I am a newbie, just over three weeks AF. I feel fabulous. If you'd asked me a month ago I would have told you I drank too much. I never used the word alcoholic. I was petrified of losing my long time friend AL. In the beginning I only wanted to get it under control. But the longer I am AF the less I want it in my life. You never know, you might find the same! That said, it's one day at a time my friend.
          Newbies Nest
          Toolbox
          My accountability thread

Comment

Jay just stick around and take it one day at a time. You will feel so much better both physically and mentally you might decide af is the way to be. I hope so. That way you won't have to go through as much pain coming to the same point that many of us found later in life. Good luck.:welcome:
            No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Welcome Jay
              “Outside of a dog a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read”

Comment

Hi Jay

Yes I think a lot of us got really fed up with drinking towards the end, I know I was bored with it. Have you thought about using the Nal again?It can take a year to be fully effective and if you are drinking anyway then it's not going to do any harm, and the chance it might remove more cravings could be worth it.
                I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

Hi guys and thanks for the overwhelmingly warm welcome to each and everyone of you from the bottom of my heart.

I am actually 34 right now, so not that young, since it's been 26 + 4 years abstinent + 1 year fairly well + 3 years problem drinking again.

Yes I am definitely considering nal again, hopefully in a couple or months or so nalmafene, selinqro (sp?) will also be available in europe which should a bit easier on the liver, with less side effects, and more effective in blocking the opiods. I should also be on baclofen right now, I don't know what's happened to me and I 've become resistant to the idea of taking medicine on a daily basis.

Maybe the fact that I 'd like to be on something that's actually helping my brain to work better after I am off it and not setting up it's own cascade of structural changes that might do more harm in the long run. Although baclofen seems rather benign. The only thing I am on right now is st. john's work, which is really helping with my depression which is of course instigated by alcohol, and the fact that it appears I am not so resilient neurochemically.

Comment

Welcome Jay. Bella xx

Comment

Welcome Jay!

Good to see you. Do some research on L-Glutamine powder. Basically Amino acids, which they tell me are good for assisting brain repair for heavy drinkers like us. Also good stuff for post exercise muscle repair. Our bodies are also lacking/needing certain nutrients and vitamins from alcohol abuse, so it will be handy for you to have good nutritional info/education around what you eat too.

Best wishes on your journey friend.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Working...
                      X