Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Drinker for Half My Life

Hello.

I've been lurking here off and on for a number of years. Usually after googling something to do with alcohol addiction, I wind up finding some tid bit in these forums.

Here's my brief story:

I first drank at 18. I'm 36 now. My dad bought me my first alcohol, my sister was 16 at the time. We drank with him.

I eventually moved out with a boyfriend who drank- I spent the next four years pretty much drinking nearly every day with him and different friends. I hated the hangovers, but didn't see my drinking as a problem. I was more bothered by the fact that I smoked cigarettes. He and I got married, then divorced. Just not compatible. I moved out and back in with Dad for a month- who wasn't drinking at the time. I wasn't either, just didn't want to. Met an old high school boyfriend and we started dating, moved in with him quickly. The first year was pretty great and happy. We were building a house together, I was going to college. We talked about getting married and kids. I didn't drink at all during that time. Didn't want to. Then, I got pregnant. He was really freaked out and pretty much coerced me into getting an abortion. And I did. Then it all fell apart for me. I was devestaed. I felt like I killed my own kid, I resented him, I felt like he made me do it. I'm still dealing with all those old feelings of resentment and loathing toward him. But that was over nearly ten years ago. I think I was 23 when that happened. So I started drinking and smoking again. Did some drunk make out sessions with other guys while he was off on a business trip. I finally left abortion boyfriend and moved out on my own where I could drink and be reckless without recrimination. So I drank and was reckless until I got pregnant by one boyfriend. I quit drinking when I was pregnant. Left him, had my baby and started drinking again after she was born. I used stress as a reason. Went back to baby dady briefly, but then got a full time job and left him again. Still drinking often. Feeling increasingly guilty, and wanting to cut back.

Met a new guy, now my husband. We drank together, and it seemed fun at first. Then I got pregnant, and we got married. I quit again while pregnant, but started after my second daughter was born. Again, stress was the reason. More and more guilt and feeling like I should cut down.

Cutting down hasn't worked. It just makes me crave the beer more during the abstainence times, and when I do allow myself to drink I really over do it.

Now I'm sick of this lifestyle and I know I have to give it up all together. But that's what I'm struggling with. Give it up? Giving up implies going without something I kind of like. But I don't like it any more. It sucks.

I read Allen Carr's book The Easy Way to Control Alcohol. I quit for five days. Slipped up and read it a second time. Made it maybe five days. Then I read it a third time and made it a week. I really did feel free each time. But then I got to a point where I thought- what the heck one night of drinking won't hurt. That was about a week ago, and I've been drinking six days straight. Part of the problem is that my husband still likes his beer, and then I talk myself into drinking with him. I've asked him to read the book too, and he's started today.

I now see alcohol for what it is- poison, and a trap. I know I can quit on my own. But its tempting to want to drink with my husband- because that's been a big part of our lives together, to relax and destress at the end of the day with some cold beers. I need to quit even if he doesn't. The times I didn't drink, he didn't either. I think he can still take it or leave it. But me- I need to leave it because when I take it, I take too much. One sip is too much for me.

So here I am. This will be another day one of quitting out of many failed attempts from the past. This time I'm going try to be active in this community of like minded folks who want to quit too, who are quitting. I'm tired of living in a fog. Being too tired to be a fun mom for my girls. Grouchy tired mom. Not cool. No more lame excuses to drink poison.

Wish me luck! I'm already lucky- somehow I've managed to not be physically dependant on the crap, and I'm healthy- perfect bloodwork recently. What a gift, I shouldn't squander that! I'm looking forward to a new life. I spent the first 18 years of life without alcohol. I want the next 18 years- the rest of my whole life to AF. Goodbye misery, and wasted time and money. Bless you folks for reading this long thing!

T

welcome to mwo theia,its a tremendously helpful place to get this monkey off your back,read around some,stay with us and post,post,post,ask any questions no matter how big or small,again welcome to you
    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Theia hi there and welcome!

I think it would help a lot if your husband is willing to quit with you. And maybe thinking too far ahead is too much right now, you can try for a day then a week then a month perhaps?

When I came here I had no idea that I would be quitting for good. I now feel like I don't want to drink, I want to be AF forever. If you'd have asked me if I could quit 3 months ago I would have said I'm scared that I can't and I feel I am losing a friend.

Time does amazing things. Take this one step at a time.

We're here to help.

Check out the newbies nest and the toolbox. Hope to hear more from you soon.
      Newbies Nest
      Toolbox
      My accountability thread

Comment

Thank you, Pauly and 3June. I am proud to say I made it through Sunday- but not so proud to report that I caved yesterday- Monday night. My lame excuse: getting caught in a huge thunder storm while driving to Wal Mart, and being in Wal- Mart made me need to relax. Its amazing the excuses we use. I'm beginning to think I keep creating drama in a round about way just to justify that "to hell with it" moment and reach for a drink. Of course one turns into several. Always does. Starting again today. *Sigh*

Comment

Hi Theia, as one of the masters of the frequent quits I know how you feel and how easy it is to be deceived by your addictive voice telling you that it's okay to have one, or you deserve a drink because the weather's nice, the weather's bad, the weather's okay, you got a new car, you don't have a car and on and on and on. It's really up to you how you handle this - it's Your Way Out. But make a plan for quitting and stick to it. If your husband's with you - great. If he's not - great, do it on your own. Get into the newbies nest for round the clock support and encouragement from some of the loveliest people imaginable and check out the toolbox for strategies and practical suggestions. All the best, NM
          "I used to be on the guest list, but now I'm on the nest list!"

Newbies Nest:https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html

Toolbox:https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html

Comment

Thank you, Neddy.

Still out of control here. I am getting so sick of this! It actually blows my mind that last night's binge could be my last and final experience with AL for the rest of my life. Its possible- isn't it? What keeps tripping me up? Awful night. Drank and got on Facebook- terrible combo! Leaving incoherent rants on there. Very embarrassed. You'd think that would be enough to make anybody stay away from it.

OK, starting another day one. I've looked at the newbies nest, I'm overwhelmed by the number of pages and posts on there- to be honest. I might just keep checking in there though. And here too. Thanks folks, for listening.

T

Comment

Hey, Theia

I know the nest looks kind of messy but great things happen there. I think and hope you will find it worth the effort. Just introduce yourself and get the ball rolling! Last night really can be your last awful night with AL and this your final day 1!

Hoe to see you over there, NS

Comment

Hi Theia

I'm around about your age although I first tried to quit when I was 28 - took me best part of ten years to get it all sorted.

The 'caving' well I don't like that word it implies you just give in and I don't believe that, I believe your mind tricks you into deciding to having that first drink. Denial, trickery all goes on when you have a problem with alcohol.

I read the AC booking and I think it's very good however I think it's mostly of use to heavy drinkers, being told it's bad for you and a con might seem like a relief but for an alchie that is not enough to put us off drinking because it's a burning drive.
                I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

Hi, am really a newbie. Am 56, made a success of my life and kind of retired. I drink a bottle of scotch per day. Not that I would appear to be drunk. My social life is restricted, but my partner joins in and we enjoy our "relxed" lifestyle. Am worried about the effect on my health. Do wake up with kidney pains. Have now built up my bac to 140mg per day; side effects? it just feels as if the world is spinning around me a t a hell of a fast pace. Everyone seems to speak too fast and move too fast.

Sort of difficult to give up a "little friend" when it is showing any real signs of damage.

Comment

Thiea.......what you do the other half of your life !?! You were sober then.......Let's get back on track ! Join up , pick a group....Like Newbies or some group here that sounds interesting. In numbers we can help each other ! Get involved.......all will welcome you , were in the same boat ! Good Luck !
                    ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                    those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                    Dr. Seuss

Comment

Thiea,
                      Welcome, Please stop over in the newbies nest. We'll help.

Wal-Mart!? I hate that place as well, always makes we want to drink, too. Been a few years since I stepped foot in the place.
                      I've made a plan never to go there, or any where else that triggers the drinking mode. Make yourself a plan, stick to it. Check out the tool box for advice. The nest can help steer you right.
                      It may seem overwhelming at first, but you'll soon feel cozy.

Comment

Hello Theia
                        A thought.... if the Nest is too confusing at first, start your own thread in the "starting out", something that you can post your process/progress. And in the meantime, keep looking in on the Nest or wherever you feel at ease. Byrdie and Lav over in the Nest are a solid foundation and worth getting to know, as so many others there as well.
                        Sam
                        Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Hi Theia,
                          Somehow I missed your post and didn't get to welcome you...so...WELCOME! I can so identify with your drinking pattern. I was drinking the 12 pack of terror every night, posting on FB, texting, emailing, calling, driving, falling down, blacking out...being an all around nuisance. I finally got to the point where I just HAD to quit, the anxiety at 3:00am was killing me! More than the physical hangovers, it was the shame, guilt, remorse and overwhelming feeling of doom. Not to sound too dramatic, but that's what alcohol was doing to me! Along with smoking a pack a day because when you're drinking you just don't care! Anyway, I know the Newbies Nest has been suggested...yeah it's a busy thread but don't be overwhelmed, there are tons of great people there. I hope to hear from you soon. Please stick close, and don't give up!
                          K9
                          :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

so similar

your post sounded so familiar to me. I am new here. I have also drank for 1/2 of my life. Quit while pregnant with both of my kids and started again. My husband and all of our friends are drinkers so it has never seemed a problem. I am a beer drinker and at this point I rarely drink enough to get drunk anymore, but i still drink mostly eveyday. My reason for being here is my kids. I want more then anything to be a great mom and role model for them. Actions speak louder then words and it's time to be the healthy, productive person that I want them to be!! I am done having kids, have started a new career and want to be successful in life. I think alcohol makes my life cloudy and not fully there. When you feel alone remember there are many others like you out there and we are doing this together.

Comment

Welcome, Itstime

As long as you feel like you have a problem, it is time to get this out of your life -- and you'll be so glad you did. I have not read one post in which someone who has become AF says it was the wrong decision.

I didn't get actually get drunk very often at all - I just got sleepy. It was the daily "need" to drink that was driving me crazy. Plus, I know I was just duller in all aspects of my life than I wanted to be.

If you feel like it, come on over to the Newbie's Nest and introduce yourself. We'd love to "see" you there!

:welcome::welcome::welcome:

Comment

Working...
                              X