Loved one drink too much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you all for coming here and reading and posting..........It does all seem to start with our parents.....one way or another.....Even if they don't drink.....they affect us...It's a very important job......being a parent.

Linda.......we went to a college basketball game a couple of weeks ago. The man sitting next to my hubby smelled of booze. He then covered it up with a hot dog with onions! I don't know if he drank that day or if he had so much in him that it lasted for days. Oh ..and he also smelled like he tried to cover it with aftershave !
    Drinking lots of water should help clear out the smell............BUT......only if you have a period of abs from drinking alcohol.....
    I hope and pray that your brother can get it together soon...

:h NAncy
    "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

My Dad has also drank for as long as I can remember, however, at age 65 it seems the progression is getting worse. I don't know if it's because he is getting older and his body chemistry is changing or if he is actually drinking more. My worry is he drinks after work (Maybe one or two martinis at the most) and drives home.

My Dad is in complete denial. Close family members are saying that maybe he needs to get stopped and lose his license, which would be his rock bottom. Loss of license at age 65. His work and life revolves around driving. Any thoughts?

Comment

My parents were divorced, both heavy smokers and problem drinkers. Mom died of cancer when I was 16, and this opened up the relationship with my father who wasn't really interested in parenting. He was more interested in suddenly having three drinking buddies. I always had wine with dinner starting from about 16 or 17, went to divey San Francisco Irish bars with Dad, sometimes he'd even let me bring a teenage friend along. Driving drunk was part of the fun, and fun it was! We also smoked pot together. When I went to work for a customer of his one summer, I remember he and my boss would have a scotch at the boss' desk right in the office. In my family it was more rebellious NOT to drink. But after developing a bad habit of getting drunk alone, I stopped drinking for 3-1/2 years, which turned out to be the last years of his life. After he died I actually had the feeling that I was less close to him because I had chosen to be AF. Anyway, I started drinking again with only one period of about 5 months AF since then.
        "There are two types of education... One should teach us how to make a living, And the other how to live.? ― John Adams

Comment

Hello All,
          This thread is amazingly honest and raw and I am touched by your stories. I am in awe of each of your choices to break the chain of family history and to want something different for your children. You are an inspiration.
          Humbly, Dx
          * * I love Determinator * *

Comment

Working...
          X