So do workouts really help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ditto as everyone has said! I love the feeling of empowerment that I can obtain from exercise. I walk. I love to get outside and see and feel nature the wind etc. Then I feel more alive and in turn find my depression lessens and time alone gives me an opportunity to work out things mentally.
    I also have alot of weight to shift from drinking but find that the more I focus on exercise and feeling good, the rest will take care of itself does anyone else find this? This is an inspiring thread!

Comment

Help your brain cells ! Boy could I use that ! IAD
      ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
      those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
      Dr. Seuss

Comment

This thread is right on! I am currently weaning myself off my antidepressant Celexa. I am almost off completely. I find myself feeling a bit anxious in the mornings most days, prob from the withdrawal. I hit the gym every morning by 0900, walk the treadmill at 4.6-4.8 miles/hr with 4-5% incline. Started doing 20 minutes, yesterday went for 55 minutes. Feel incredible afterwards!! No anxiety, no cravings. Weight lifting also helps me, but the cardio effects on my well being are much more significant. I vary the music on my ipod about once/wk so I don't get bored. Get moving everyone and crank up the music!

Comment

The free podcasts from itunes are great. They are called fitpod.

Comment

excerise is also helping me alot. I too kinda use excerise as a "self punishment" (but I do like it also). The whole time I keep telling mayself how much I hate alcohol and how great I will soon be.

Comment

Exercise has become my salvation. It helps so much with my mental health, my physical health, and really does kill the cravings for drink. It is the best thing in the world. I ride my bike between 30 and 50 miles a week in the woods - a pretty tough trail - not at all like road riding. I love the outdoors. And I go to the gym several times a week - a good bit of lifting. And of course I am a ski freak - but I never even skiied until I was 50 years old. Now I don't miss a single week in the winter.

I could never, ever, ever, stay sober without regular exercise - the harder the workout the better!!!!

Great thread.
              Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

Wow thanks to all of you for the inspiration-I used to workout regularly and was very healthy and in great shape-now I did two days and took a day off today-totally lazy day-not counting the drinks, ate badly and no workout-but I'm not going to beat myself up! Keep it up all!

Comment

Most definetly I have been physically acttive most my life. i swim like a fish I run walk lift weights. I think that if I didn;t work out, eat well and take supplements, My system would have crashed a long time ago.
                  My gym membership expired and am in the process of renewing it. haven't been to the pool in a week and a half and I am drinking more. If I work out, I feel too good to drink.
                  You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

You got it Trixietrack - when I work out I feel way too good to drink. I think exercise (and hard stuff at that) is the magic pill.
                    Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

I love to work out and do it quite often. Im well built [use to be a bodybuilder] and I still get alot of compliments on my physic even at 50 yrs old.

Problem is, ALL the hard work I put out at the gym usually goes right out the drain when I decide to hit one of my 4-6 day drinking binges. Seems to me like I must ''show myself off'' for some reason after 6-7 weeks of hard training. Im somewhat of a ladies man when im drinking [though I have not cheated on my wife of 28 yrs since 1985]..

Yep,work out all you can, it definately does help.

Comment

:yukko: :flush:

Sorry Bj... Just kidding....
                        You just reminded me so much of someone I used to know...

Workouts do help tremendously!
                        The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Hi BILLYJACK........feel free to show yourself off in the M.W.O. Photo Gallery, then!!! :bigwink: lol

Good to have you here, BILLY.

Starlight Impress x

Comment

:H LMAO!!

HE: "If I could see you naked I'd die a happy man."
                            SHE:"If I saw you naked, I'd die laughing"

:H

Look what you started Billy JACK!

Don't get us started! But feel free to get us back... as I'm sure ya will!
                            The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

I don't know what I'd do without fitness! If I don't move/strengthen my body, my mind and spirit suffer. Even when I "overdo" it the previous night with wine (grrrr), I make myself recover with Gatorade and sweat!

Comment

You know?? I have not been doing enough exercise. I think I really need to incorporate more than the 2 miles a day walk.

I agree, some HARD workouts. The ones that get the old heart a pumpin' and endorphins goin'

Good thing I will be home tomorrow night. Hubby might be able to aid in this...

:H

Cindi

ps, You guys have corrupted me!! I never talk like this!!
                                AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Working...
                                X