Got a Treadmill Now!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a Treadmill Now!!

I have an old treadmill out in the garage, we got it free from the neighbors. I very seldom use it. Don't like to waste electicity, when we live in such a beautiful area.. I can just bundle up & go outside.
    I planned on giving it away. But with winter coming on... I'm thinking, maybe rather than fire up the stove... the treadmill would keep me warm...
    And I'd probably be more apt to do that than go out in hurricane force wind & rain, like we so often get here in the winter...50,60 & 70 mph gusts...sometimes!

I'm not sure if I'd want a rowing machine or not... might make me miss kayaking in the winter all the more...Although some winters we do get a break, warm enough to go for a paddle. I've even seen it be 70* @ Christmas here. Just never know.
    The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Got a Treadmill Now!!

It has been my experience, that you get very different workouts from either the rowing machine, the indoor bike, the outdoor bike, indoor running, outdoor running, jump rope, and punching bag sessions on the cardio vascular front.

Heck, I've even tried speed weight lifting, at high repetition rates. That is very intense, and it's easy to over-do and get injured.

Different muscle groups loaded in different cycling rates. I have found that my body will "adjust" or adapt to a certain routine, and then my brain says, "Oh, that crud again? What else is new?".

So I switch exercise methods in rotation, and keep the motivation and interest up. Some days for instance, no way will I go out and run, but feel like biking inside. Then other days, I won't even look at the indoor bike, but the rowing machine seems to satisfy my needs. It's all about choice and freedom for me.

I can stand the rowing machine up on it's end, and get it out of the way which is nice. It is even light enough to move into the living room if I felt like pulling on the handles in there. Now the treadmill, once it's folded up, it has rolling casters, and is somewhat maneuverable (sic?), but it does need a power outlet. That makes it unique among all the equipment I have.

The point here is that, my program to get off the booze and smokes needs fresh things all the time. I see so many get burned out on one form of exercise, and then give up, and end up back on the bottle and tobacco sticks after a valiant effort. I say this, because I have gone down that road too many times. Been there, done that.

I'm not the type to get totally into one thing, and focus my entire concentration and effort on that. Heck, I even tried golfing a few years ago, and got a full set of custom clubs made for my personal dimensions. Haven't touched them in five years now.

Cross-training does seem to be gaining popularity, as it has benefits for well-rounded fitness of all our bodies systems.

Neil

Comment

Got a Treadmill Now!!

Neil, I'm sooo very happy for you !!! You are going to enjoy that treadmill so much when the weather is crappy and you are wanting a good workout.. You rock at totally changing your lifestyle around... YIPEEEEE !!!!!!!!! I'd like to chime in here too !!
        I have an elliptical (orbitrek ) that I really love.. super quiet and smooth ... I agree with Satori about the resistance thingy... I always use a heart rate monitor when I work out so it is so true about setting the resistance a little challanging to really get into the right "fat burning" zone and stay right there... I love it...
        Yesterday I got rid of my regular stationary bike that was soooooo worn out (1866 miles on it !! ) and making a "killing of a cat" sound and now have a recomberant excercise bike.. These two cardio machines along with my "bow-flex, extreme" complete with abdominals on my mat make a really well rounded work out... I love my little crammed room too Neil !!!! Enjoy your treadmill !!!!

~ I hear a whinny on the wind~

Comment

Got a Treadmill Now!!

Now we seem to be missing the most important feature of home exercise equipment. The big question needs to be: "how much laundry can it hold?" I always found the treadmill to be disappointing. The side rails sloped. A stationary bike has good handlebars and you can get a fair amount piled on the seat. The bowflex looks like a good option, but not too good for hangers. My sister was able to load up her Nordic track with weeks worth of ironing. Then all of a sudden she found another place for the ironing (under one of her smelly cats) and went to town on that thing. I came to visit her and she was like Lara freakin' Croft. Its not technically exercise equipment, but I must say my foozeball table beats em all. Just a matter of personal preference I suppose.

Cheers
          d

Comment

Got a Treadmill Now!!

12Many,

Neil, fortunately, actually USES his exercise equipment because, as he stated in the Mantra thread going AF also meant "Be Well" which is actually a pretty awesome mantra.

However, I cannot help but laugh at your post. I've had lots of exercise equipment that gathers dust and laundry myself. Mostly because my hubby buys it. I don't buy that stuff because I travel every week, so for me it would be a purchase for weekend use only.

My job on the weekends is to clean the exercise equipment off and do the d@mn laundry!!

Cindi
            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Working...
            X